You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Really any point?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2014

I could add an example to demonstrate it:

The Russian R versions are the ones with the most luck element....and so on..

I don't play those, but other formats are further or closer to it on here.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Really any point?:
    I could add an example to demonstrate it: The Russian R versions are the ones with the most luck element....and so on.. I don't play those, but other formats are further or closer to it on here.
    Posted by swanstu

Better leave this one for harry !!!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : Better leave this one for harry !!!
    Posted by VespaPX
    Lambert is the Russian roulette expert Mick ;)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : Lambert is the Russian roulette expert Mick ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lolz
  • edited December 2014
    ITS OBVIOUS TO A BLIND MAN THE SITES A SCAM,WE NEED ALL CLUB TOGEATHER TO ASK THE POLICE TO INVESTICATE THE SITE AS ITS CLEAR WE ARE PLAYING SITE EMPLOYEES CONTROLLING THE DEAL.i BEEN OF THE SCAM FOR MONTHS THOUGHT GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY BUT AM NOW CONVINCED BEYOUND DOULT THE SITES A SCAM THATS WHY ITS REGULATED OFF-SHORE
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Really any point?:
    Not especially a bad beat post, or a rigged post, but going round in circles with poker makes me always question the point. You play great get a little ahead, few bad beats back to even. Rinse and repeat over 100 games. Do it all again next 100 games - time is precious. Is Poker as precious? Really fecked off with bothering.
    Posted by swanstu
    Feel the same you win a little to lose a little more. can always tell once the cards are dealt if your not on often then you will lose to a player that is on more. the only reason i keep playing is the money i have put in. i enjoy playing but not all the time as i have another life.
  • edited December 2014
    ITS OBVIOUS TO A BLIND MAN THE SITES A SCAM,WE NEED ALL CLUB TOGEATHER TO ASK THE POLICE TO INVESTICATE THE SITE AS ITS CLEAR WE ARE PLAYING SITE EMPLOYEES CONTROLLING THE DEAL.i BEEN OF THE SCAM FOR MONTHS THOUGHT GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY BUT AM NOW CONVINCED BEYOUND DOULT THE SITES A SCAM THATS WHY ITS REGULATED OFF-SHORE
    Posted by radar16
    Hi Jimmy.
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by radar16
    I agree.... please call 999 for me and investigate. 
  • edited January 2015

Just to add a little example:

Just played 3 sng's in short space of time - went all in each time, ahead for the win in each showdown, lost all 3.

I know it's a small sample, but these runs make it pointless to try and gain an edge. They wreck the long run average, and that's all that counts in Poker.
  • edited January 2015
    I know some players show an edge, but varience will always give some an edge and the majority none.
  • edited January 2015
    I actually hope that certain players don't improve for their own sake. I would hate to think that one day they will look back ashamed and realise what complete clown's they are. 
  • edited January 2015
    Have played on Sky for a couple of years and since my first deposit have not deposited again I have made a small amount of money  over this time if I had to live on it I would have starved long ago. I have tried to learn from Sky, internet and books I think I have a little bit of knowledge which keeps me winning over time. Down about £100 from my top amount of money and yes some must of been bad beats but we tend to forget when we get the luck, the thing I am trying to say if you put a bit of effort into learning you will be rewarded, the better players on the site have put a lot of time into getting better as they were not born fantastic poker players. I am glad I have a hobby that I can play for free and hope one day to bink a big tournament but until then I will enjoy my poker and if I play within my bankroll the beats will be easier to take.
  • edited January 2015
    Have played on Sky for a couple of years and since my first deposit have not deposited again I have made a small amount of money  over this time if I had to live on it I would have starved long ago. I have tried to learn from Sky, internet and books I think I have a little bit of knowledge which keeps me winning over time. Down about £100 from my top amount of money and yes some must of been bad beats but we tend to forget when we get the luck, the thing I am trying to say if you put a bit of effort into learning you will be rewarded, the better players on the site have put a lot of time into getting better as they were not born fantastic poker players. I am glad I have a hobby that I can play for free and hope one day to bink a big tournament but until then I will enjoy my poker and if I play within my bankroll the beats will be easier to take.
    Posted by DoyleBrun

I get what you are saying, but when you are putting players all in heavily behind you, what can you do that is much better than that? Not sure myself, unless you have other ideas!?
    End of the day it's very difficult to say whether skill or variance has given some players longer term winning edges or losing %s - variance happens across every level of scale, even in large numbers. And I haven't got time to find out whether mine is above or below the line.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : I get what you are saying, but when you are putting players all in heavily behind you, what can you do that is much better than that? Not sure myself, unless you have other ideas!? End of the day it's very difficult to say whether skill or variance has given some players longer term winning edges or losing %s - variance happens across every level of scale, even in large numbers. And I haven't got time to find out whether mine is above or below the line.
    Posted by swanstu
    But you do have time to moan about various things - some of which you cannot control, but most of which you can - in every single one of your thirty-three posts on the Sky forum.
  • edited January 2015
    it's quite sad to read these posts as the writers have obviously got a problem, they seem to be chasing their losses and expect that they are owed a win. Seriously, I suggest that poker / gambling isn't for you Swanstu, Jimmy, Gordy. Take up yoga. And, for the record, I'm not a winning player, I play for enjoyment and to learn.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : But you do have time to moan about various things - some of which you cannot control, but most of which you can - in every single one of your thirty-three posts on the Sky forum.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Rather quicker to make a post on here than to play 10k games of Poker....perhaps?

I posted this because it should be of interet to all players, especially those who want to make money playing. This isn't a 'rigged' post, as I stated before, just a player's recognition and consideration about the game, and why we play. If that is ok with the 'police'.

I still play, but I've cut down a lot recently because it was really wasting too much of my time, especially if it's not profitable. I'm sure this post applies to many thousands of players.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : But you do have time to moan about various things - some of which you cannot control, but most of which you can - in every single one of your thirty-three posts on the Sky forum.
    Posted by Slipwater

I also see you preferred to reply to that latter point, but no answer (or from anyone else) to the first part of my previous post.
    When you lose putting players all in behind you, what exactly better can you do?

...or should add when you get card dead constantly.

Anyway, as you suggest, spent too long on this site already today! 

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : I also see you preferred to reply to that latter point, but no answer (or from anyone else) to the first part of my previous post. When you lose putting players all in behind you, what exactly better can you do? ...or should add when you get card dead constantly. Anyway, as you suggest, spent too long on this site already today! 
    Posted by swanstu
    Nothing.

You just keeping doing it.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Really any point? : I also see you preferred to reply to that latter point, but no answer (or from anyone else) to the first part of my previous post. When you lose putting players all in behind you, what exactly better can you do? ...or should add when you get card dead constantly. Anyway, as you suggest, spent too long on this site already today! 
    Posted by swanstu
    If for example we are folding down to 1bb then getting it in with aa there is a lot different we can do. It seems like you are looking at your exit hands and saying I got it in good and lost so that's all I can do. Are we winning lots of uncontested chips (maybe without the best hand)? Are we making well thought out bluffs/semi bluffs? With an appropriate strategy we can build up a stack without having to put all our chips at risk. If we have played extremely tight as we are card dead as you say, can we not 3b bluff which will look strong to our opponents as we have been tight. Our opponents cannot see our cards so as far as they are aware a tight player has waited for a hand and now has a hand. Also if we always go out with the best hand we are probably playing too conservatively and are missing spots to chip up.
  • edited January 2015
    Would be good to post some of these hands so we can see how was played and if really far ahead or a flip. I could open shove 22 every time it got it and be ahead pre but get out drawn, there is a lot I can do in that instance to stop myself going out in that way.

In general, yes if getting it in good then that is half the job done, but if that decision is always pre flop then there is a higher chance variance will be higher due to 5 cards coming out to change the look of the board.

any hand pre flop has the chance however small to make nuts once all 5 cards are out.

Look at your in game stats, is call the highest % of your play? If yes then probably bleeding chips away chasing draws.

Are you getting to show down a lot? If so probably bleeding chips away. I watch a lot of the guys like Matt Bates,Hazzy, Scotty77 and they will take down a High % before river or showdown.  Then when they get to showdown guess what....... They normally have it. That is not luck it's skill and knowing when to bet, when to reraise and when to fold. You will only do well in poker by learning when to fold and when to be aggro.  

Be interesting if you put up a selection of hands for us to try help you with.  And no not just when AA gets cracked try some other hands you limp in with and loose a lot / fold a big pot.

At the end of the day we are willing to help anyone who wants to help themselves 

Take it from an ex idiot poster, you will never get better and enjoy the game for what it is until you realise your gaps and take any beats on the chin
  • edited January 2015
    I was just wondering how the random cards are selected. Many, many years ago, computers used to select random numbers using a RANDOMISE and RND command. These selected (as far as I recall) a random number from a pregenerated long list of numbers. If the programming is still the same or similar, there can never be truly random cards dealt, as any predetermined list wil not contain, say, 100 of the same selection in a row. Plus, if it is already pre-ordained, then it isn't random. It just appears so.

As for losing hands when you go all-in with big pairs (or such) pre-flop, I think the point to remember, is that the strategy will win you hands over a period of time. I always get shafted of QQ, but when playing small stakes (which for me is either a free-roll or a less than £6 tourney) someone will always call you. It only takes an A or K to see you off.

As a newbie, I have a lot to learn and don't expect to start 'winning' until I have learned all I can and am entering tournaments that require more than shrapnel to enter and don't offer rebuys. On;ly then can I really say it isn't working.

But hey, that's me. Fish.
  • edited January 2015
    from just looking briefly at this thread i would say that the reason your not making a profit is because you are doing something wrong and continue to do so. if you make the correct decisions over and over you will of course have downswings but in the long run make a profit. May i suggest rather than ranting you analyse your game and like anything the more effort you put into something the more you get out of it, so just go back to basics and look at how to improve your game.

Kerrnal
  • edited January 2015
    A really interesting discussion.

Firstly, I must say that I have been playing on SKY for a few years now and I have had a few swings up and down. Then I hit a point of getting a ton of 'Bad Beats' and suckouts, coolers, cold decks, the lot...

I started to think about the conspiracy theories and the like, but recognised that SKY Poker is not a rigged site. When you are losing, it can hurt and it feels like the world is against you.

Anyway, I realised that it was my game that was the problem. I started to really look at my poker play/results/actions pre and post flop, pot odds etc and really looked at my exit hands...And would you know it... I had a ton of leaks in my game.

I have plugged a few leaks and continue to try and improve, but I have noticed that I have started cashing a lot more and have had a few decent finished in MTTs.

Secondly, I also play quite a bit of live poker and can ASSURE anyone that those bad beats still exist, just as much LIVE as they do ONLINE...
    Last Thursday I was chip leader with 4 players on the bubble (having seen no cards all night...hence my improved play). Then, seat to my right who has been small stack open shoving, (now with a healthy stack having just doubled up) shoves again.... I have KK and snap call (maybe a really good player could fold here-I don't know)...he has aces. LOL.

I exit in 4th, 5 mins later...What can you do apart from smile, stand up, shake his hand and move on. Moaning never helped anyone. If you don't want to play...don't play.

I don't work for SKY POKER, I am just a Primary school teacher from Lincoln who enjoys the challenge of poker. I doubt anyone will be bothered about my views, but I do think that anyone can improve if they want to.

Good luck at the tables all.

• edited January 2015
    A really interesting discussion.   Firstly, I must say that I have been playing on SKY for a few years now and I have had a few swings up and down. Then I hit a point of getting a ton of 'Bad Beats' and suckouts, coolers, cold decks, the lot... I started to think about the conspiracy theories and the like, but recognised that SKY Poker is not a rigged site. When you are losing, it can hurt and it feels like the world is against you. Anyway, I realised that it was my game that was the problem. I started to really look at my poker play/results/actions pre and post flop, pot odds etc and really looked at my exit hands...And would you know it... I had a ton of leaks in my game. I have plugged a few leaks and continue to try and improve, but I have noticed that I have started cashing a lot more and have had a few decent finished in MTTs. Secondly, I also play quite a bit of live poker and can ASSURE anyone that those bad beats still exist, just as much LIVE as they do ONLINE... Last Thursday I was chip leader with 4 players on the bubble (having seen no cards all night...hence my improved play). Then, seat to my right who has been small stack open shoving, (now with a healthy stack having just doubled up) shoves again.... I have KK and snap call (maybe a really good player could fold here-I don't know)...he has aces. LOL. I exit in 4th, 5 mins later...What can you do apart from smile, stand up, shake his hand and move on. Moaning never helped anyone. If you don't want to play...don't play. I don't work for SKY POKER, I am just a Primary school teacher from Lincoln who enjoys the challenge of poker. I doubt anyone will be bothered about my views, but I do think that anyone can improve if they want to. Good luck at the tables all.
    Posted by DW1414
    Nailed it !
    Great 1st post sir.