You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Last night's issues.....

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

As many of you know, there was an outage last night, which affected many players.

I don't have the authority to issue an official statement, & I'd get a good slap if I tried to.

However, I don't know if any Senior Managers, with the authority to explain it all, are around today, being Xmas Eve & all that.

So, because I think "it's good to talk", a few things.

For many, it happened at the nut worst time, 10.30pm on one of the busiest evenings of the year, at a time when many MTT's were coming to a climax.

Not exactly good news for the site, either, so nobody would have been exactly best pleased.

I do know that the Suits were on the "how do we settle everyone as fairly as possible" case immediately. 

Can everyone be satisfied? Unlikely.

Every player left in every MTT has the right to think they would have won it, some more than others of course. But they don't know, nor does anyone.

They do have "Settlement Rules for Voided MTT's" which form the basis of how they settle things. Nobody likes those T & C's, but they are what they are. 

If anyone thinks they have been badly done by in how they were settled, please contact Customer Care & explain the situation. That does not mean you'll get more, but they WILL consider each case on as fair a basis as is reasonably possible. Please note, nobody can settle these things via the Community, only Customer Care. 

Someone suggested it would have been better to wait until this morning to settle the Voided MTT's. Maybe, maybe not. The prob with that is folks demand their winnings as soon as the MTT ends. 

In these spots, it's hard to please all those who were in position to win an MTT. 

I was closely following the Ch 861 Xmas Cracker thing, & it's hard not to feel sympathy for those on the Final Table, especially the Chippie. But the others all felt the same, obv. 

For the record, & of course Sky Poker have to accept responsibility for everything, the outage was not confined to Sky Poker, it was across ALL of the SB&G sites.  

It was not caused by an internal software fault, coding error, or anything else Sky Poker or SB&G had any control over - it was upstream of the site, & would have taken ANY site down, including far bigger & better sites than this one.

Anyway, in the possible absence of the Big Suits today, & because it's good to try & explain things, I hope that helps your understanding of the situation. Which won't pay any bills, of course, but I hope it helps.  

Comments

• edited December 2014

i believe that it was a cyber attack from north london because skysports have plans to screen a documentary criticising arsene wenger.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Last night's issues.....:
    For the record, & of course Sky Poker have to accept responsibility for everything, the outage was not confined to Sky Poker, it was across ALL of the SB&G sites.   It was not caused by an internal software fault, coding error, or anything else Sky Poker or SB&G had any control over - it was upstream of the site, & would have taken ANY site down, including far bigger & better sites than this one.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Does this mean I was right last night, and that sky poker was the victim of hacking or ddos'ing?

Lots of poker sites are having big issues with this atm.

I for one would like to know which sites are beefing up security and which ones are just 'paying up' the hackers demands.

This is a problem that has been around years and not on just gambling sites, but it seems someone, somewhere has been a lot more active with this again.
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks for the prompt and full explanation Tikay.

I am sure many (including me) will have issues with how some of the payouts were settled but if it takes a few days to sort out then so be it. No one, except the deeply religious, expects miracles over the Christmas period!

On a more worrying note this has happened a few times in the past and does seem to coincide with 'busy' nights. It is certainly something Sky need to sort out as it will cost them business, I'm sure it has already.

One a side note what was all that about you calling my all in from the small blind just before the bubble of the Christmas Cracker last night. You had A 10. I know how tight you are Tikay, you can only call with AA (or better!) there and me a fellow plopper too. Atrocious. WP on the cash and the last longer btw, you outlasted some big names there.

I know you don't 'do' Christmas (nor do I) but have a good one and thanks for your company on the PLO8 tables over the last 12 months, it's been most enjoyable.
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks for the message Tikay, much appreciated

Ian
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Last night's issues.....:
    In Response to Last night's issues..... : Does this mean I was right last night, and that sky poker was the victim of hacking or ddos'ing? Lots of poker sites are having big issues with this atm. I for one would like to know which sites are beefing up security and which ones are just 'paying up' the hackers demands. This is a problem that has been around years and not on just gambling sites, but it seems someone, somewhere has been a lot more active with this again.
    Posted by MrWh1te
    I'm not in a position to explain more than I have, but it was not caused by any internal issues or problems at Sky Poker or SB&G.
  • edited December 2014
    i believe that it was a cyber attack from north london because skysports have plans to screen a documentary criticising arsene wenger.
    Posted by aussie09
    Quite right too, NOBODY can criticise that man, imo.

I gather Brentford, soon to be in the Premier League, have an eye on him, as it happens.
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post TK.   Oh and great play in the last longer.  Was railing FT of cracker and you gotta feel for the CL.   BTW apparently refunds are gonna be paid out using the Duckworth-Lewis method!  ;-)))    Hope you (and all @ Skypoker) have a peaceful & stress-free holiday. 
    Pad
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks for the message Tikay, much appreciated Ian
    Posted by MacMonster
    Was good to share tables with you Ian, albeit (& thankfully) not for long.

Can't believe you turned up with a real hand, lol, I always assumed you are at it. ;) 

• edited December 2014
    Sorry but if it was something like a cyber attack we should all be told bank details etc could have been stolen 
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks for the prompt and full explanation Tikay. I am sure many (including me) will have issues with how some of the payouts were settled but if it takes a few days to sort out then so be it. No one, except the deeply religious, expects miracles over the Christmas period!   On a more worrying note this has happened a few times in the past and does seem to coincide with 'busy' nights. It is certainly something Sky need to sort out as it will cost them business, I'm sure it has already. One a side note what was all that about you calling my all in from the small blind just before the bubble of the Christmas Cracker last night. You had A 10. I know how tight you are Tikay, you can only call with AA (or better!) there and me a fellow plopper too. Atrocious. WP on the cash and the last longer btw, you outlasted some big names there. I know you don't 'do' Christmas (nor do I) but have a good one and thanks for your company on the PLO8 tables over the last 12 months, it's been most enjoyable.
    Posted by Enut
    Tuney!

For the record, last night's issues had nothing whatsoever to do with being "busy", or volume of site traffic, it was upstream & completely unavoidable. Probably not the best time to say this, but there has not been a single outage on Sky Poker due to high traffic volumes since the new Site was launched. Other probs, yeah, but not due to the site being busy. The Site is busier than it has ever been, too, breaking records every week at the moment, though that's no consolation to those affected last night.  

Nobody will be happy with their "settlements", no, but it is what it is. It's always a nasty affair when it happens, but on a wider view, worse things happen. 

My call? I've been listening to those "experts" on 861, lol. I don't play NLH these days, as you know, but I just assumed that given your stack size, my hand was beating your probable shoving range. I won every race last night, it was amazing, I could not lose. Well until that AK v KQ jobbie slapped me round the chops, lol. It's poker, it happens. 

Merry Christmas to you & your family, too, we've had SUCH fun on the Plopper Tables this year, I've never enjoyed my poker more.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Last night's issues..... : I'm not in a position to explain more than I have, but it was not caused by any internal issues or problems at Sky Poker or SB&G.
    Posted by Tikay10
    As I said in a post last night my DUSKTILLDAWN crashed at the same time so it wasn't only sky that had problems...... also I posted last week about 888 crashing but there's a very big difference in the way they handled it, They said no refund tough s..t people are always going to be annoyed and frustrated when these things happen and there is no solution that will satisfy everyone....

As I'm sure TK would confirm I'm definitely not one for blowing sunshine up skys a.s but there are times when their response is miles better than other sites and in this instance apart from not shutting it down a lot sooner I think they got it covered fairly well..............  I do find it more than a little suspicious though that in recent weeks some gaming sites seem to be having a lot of issues with their sites crashing, makes me wonder if someone is targeting them specifically...

• edited December 2014
    I heard the North Koreans had been told Tikay had a hand and the site went down simples.

Ty Tikay for posting and hope you all have a good Christmas 
  • edited December 2014
    Sorry but if it was something like a cyber attack we should all be told bank details etc could have been stolen 
    Posted by kopite1984
    Hi kopite,

The site's security was not compromised in any way, shape, or form.

Please feel free to contact Customer Care if you have any concerns.

• edited December 2014
    Nice post TK.   Oh and great play in the last longer.  Was railing FT of cracker and you gotta feel for the CL.   BTW apparently refunds are gonna be paid out using the Duckworth-Lewis method!  ;-)))    Hope you (and all @ Skypoker) have a peaceful & stress-free holiday.  Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    Thanks Pad, & you too.

Yeah, I absolutely do feel for the Xmas Cracker chippie chap, it was very unfortunate, especially for him.

Hope you have a lovely Xmas, too.

• edited December 2014
    Thanks for taking time out to post Tikay, apart from the obvious obsession with strangely hued sports jackets and roundabouts you are a credit to this site.

The epitomy of what an ambassador/facilitator/presenter/etc... should be, very well played.

Have a very nice time over the festive period, hope santa brings you some exciting ties.

Neil
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post TK.   Oh and great play in the last longer.  Was railing FT of cracker and you gotta feel for the CL.   BTW apparently refunds are gonna be paid out using the Duckworth-Lewis method!  ;-)))    Hope you (and all @ Skypoker) have a peaceful & stress-free holiday.  Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    Duckworh Lewis ey, hope the wife appreciates the Murial ;) thanks Tikay for the info.
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post Tikay.

I think some people's beef is that they've slipped down the pecking order as some people still had connection and could pinch the blinds before all the tournaments were eventually paused. I was 2nd in my tournament when the issues started, but got paid for 3rd when settled, a difference of about £45. Far from the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless. I was actually running well for once! ;)

I'd think it be better to just pause the tournament once it becomes apparent there are issues affecting a number of players, and go from there.

Have a good festive period, I'm sure Davina will be presenting a few shows on the tellybox :)
  • edited December 2014
    Good afternoon Sir Tikay.
    Been to quite a few Brentford games this season, and the future looks good.
    But as a fan for over 40 years part of me likes the fact that we are a small club, so wouldnt be too disappointed if we dont go up.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
    P.S £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK. In Response to Re: Last night's issues.....:
    In Response to Re: Last night's issues..... : Quite right too, NOBODY can criticise that man, imo. I gather Brentford, soon to be in the Premier League, have an eye on him, as it happens.
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited December 2014
    Saying it is what it is is not really the right thing to say when I see some people on twitter say they were 10th got paid for 52nd or 1st got paid for 4th it's people's time and money it's not good in my opinion!!
  • edited December 2014
    Also should we be worried about this happening again tonight as it happened few days in a row last time ??
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post Tikay. I think some people's beef is that they've slipped down the pecking order as some people still had connection and could pinch the blinds before all the tournaments were eventually paused. I was 2nd in my tournament when the issues started, but got paid for 3rd when settled, a difference of about £45. Far from the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless. I was actually running well for once! ;) I'd think it be better to just pause the tournament once it becomes apparent there are issues affecting a number of players, and go from there. Have a good festive period, I'm sure Davina will be presenting a few shows on the tellybox :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Don't disagree with a word of that, it is very frustraing to be disco'd when others can still play.

However, if it were THAT simple, I'm sure they'd have clicked a button, just like that - but we have to reasonably assume it is not.

When there is a "wobble", the first task is to see if it can be stabilised, which is the nut answer, but once they see that won't work, then they need to pause everything.

MTT Poker is, of course, so time-precious, with Blinds going up & whizzing round, unlike, say, Vegas, Bet or Bingo. But the entire Site was down, which is a pretty big deal, so they had their hands full with the overall situation. To us, as poker players, all that matters is poker, but in the greater context, the Business needed to sort the whole site, not just poker. It was not a "Poker" problem as such. This is not a matter the Poker Team get any input to, it's the Tech Boys for the Site as a whole who have to get their hands under the bonnet.   

I know that to us, as poker players, that's not much comfort, but that's just how it as, or it is as I see it from where I sit.

It's just all regrettable, really, nobody can say otherwise.

I was playing DYM's when it happened, & I could see 1, 2, 3 players "AWAY", then I disco'd, too, even though I could see my cards. It seemed a lifetime, but I doubt it was more than 6 or 7 minutes before the full failover.  

• edited December 2014
    Good afternoon Sir Tikay. Been to quite a few Brentford games this season, and the future looks good. But as a fan for over 40 years part of me likes the fact that we are a small club, so wouldnt be too disappointed if we dont go up. All the best. Rainman397 P.S £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK. In Response to Re: Last night's issues..... :
    Posted by rainman397
    Nor me, Rainman.

We are a 2nd Division Club really, & I've always been comfortable with that.
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post Tikay. I think some people's beef is that they've slipped down the pecking order as some people still had connection and could pinch the blinds before all the tournaments were eventually paused. I was 2nd in my tournament when the issues started, but got paid for 3rd when settled, a difference of about £45. Far from the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless. I was actually running well for once! ;) I'd think it be better to just pause the tournament once it becomes apparent there are issues affecting a number of players, and go from there. Have a good festive period, I'm sure Davina will be presenting a few shows on the tellybox :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

This is exactly the problem, it happened to me, Kopite I was on twitter last night trying to find out what was going on, and it was actually me that posted re a slip from 10 to 51 in the mini.
    The shorty at my table (i was 30+k versus his 10k)and one other were able to steal all the blinds at 1600 and 2000 for a large number of orbits with me unable to do a thing, in fact I was left with 9k when it stopped and he got 10th place.....so its doubtful he'll be complaining ;-)))

But the fact remains Tikay doesn't have to post this, but has and well played to him, hopefully there will be an official statement etc. from Sky.

I have in the meantime contacted customer services and hopefully they will resolve it, to be fair to them, they have dealt with things pretty well in the past, so heres hoping.

Neil

• edited December 2014
    Saying it is what it is is not really the right thing to say when I see some people on twitter say they were 10th got paid for 52nd or 1st got paid for 4th it's people's time and money it's not good in my opinion!!
    Posted by kopite1984
    That's a bit out of context Kopite, to be fair, that was writren in a longer paragraph with more balance. I've just tried to explain how it is, I can't really say more than I have. I don't have any authority to say anything, I'm just trying to explain a few things.  

"Not good"? Not disagreeing with that, not at all.
  • edited December 2014
    It made me do a Ross Jarvis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BIG_RIDE Small blind  50.00 50.00 9420.00
    FASTEDY Big blind  100.00 150.00 2090.00
      Your hole cards

hhyftrftdr Raise  200.00 350.00 12710.00
    brenner92 Fold     
    pappa1949 Fold     
    kyp1961 Fold     
    BIG_RIDE Fold     
    FASTEDY Call  100.00 450.00 1990.00
    Flop

• Q

FASTEDY Check     
    hhyftrftdr Check     
    Turn

FASTEDY Bet  300.00 750.00 1690.00
    hhyftrftdr Fold     
    FASTEDY Muck     
    FASTEDY Win  450.00  2140.00
    FASTEDY Return  300.00 0.00 2440.00
    I can be a nit at times but even I'm not worried about being beat by top set here ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Waste of 4 hours grind
  • edited December 2014
    Also should we be worried about this happening again tonight as it happened few days in a row last time ??
    Posted by kopite1984
    I would judge that as exceptionally unlikely, given the nature of the problem, it'd be like lightning striking twice. I am not aware that last night's specific problem has ever happened here before, although, to players, an outage is an outage, no matter what the cause.

If you are worried, however, my advice would be to give it a miss until you feel more confident.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Last night's issues..... : This is exactly the problem, it happened to me, Kopite I was on twitter last night trying to find out what was going on, and it was actually me that posted re a slip from 10 to 51 in the mini. The shorty at my table (i was 30+k versus his 10k)and one other were able to steal all the blinds at 1600 and 2000 for a large number of orbits with me unable to do a thing, in fact I was left with 9k when it stopped and he got 10th place.....so its doubtful he'll be complaining ;-))) But the fact remains Tikay doesn't have to post this, but has and well played to him, hopefully there will be an official statement etc. from Sky. I have in the meantime contacted customer services and hopefully they will resolve it, to be fair to them, they have dealt with things pretty well in the past, so heres hoping. Neil
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Yeah I was watchin the cracker and 1 player was way in front when it went belly up for me the leader was paid in 2nd!!!! but maybe there had been a hand after my discon I didn't see :-(
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Last night's issues..... : I know you work for sky Tikay and people will think your just doing your job etc but i and alot of others know that you go way out of your way to help people on here at times and although i also know you dont celebrate xmas i just want to wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your fray bentos and veg tomorrow :) Be lucky mate
    Posted by gran23
    Very kind of you Gran, thank you.

As it happens, it's not my job, but I just have an affinity with fellow poker players, I've played the game a long time, & I think I understand players frustrations better, with respect, than the Business does.

It just happens that I know full well that there are no "customer-interface" Staff in the Office today, apart, of course, from Customer Care who have been dealing efficiently with it from what I can gather. So I thought I'd try & give some explanations.

Celebrate Xmas? Well as it happens, I will be having a Fray Bentos jobbie for dinner tomorrow, & I shall enjoy it muchly. But, starting later tomorrow, I'm actually having a REAL Christmas this year, tree with lights, silly hat, turkey dinner, everything. Be the first time I've celebrated Xmas properly since around 1970 as it happens. Not entirely my choice, but I'm going to try & enjoy it. The worm is turning, as the old clock ticks on. 

Happy Xmas to you, too.      

• edited December 2014
    Firstly Mr Tikay thank you for your excellent interpretation of last nights problems which luckily for me only affected me getting back on to play.
    To those that think they lost money you might have busted out the next hand so who knows what the prizes would have been had you been able to play as normal.
    Mainly though I just wanted to say please its only money its not a fortune, and that's coming from a pensioner living entirely on a state pension so I do understand the value of money.
    No one can forsee these sort of problems if they could they would be worth a fortune lol and although frustrating it really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things is it.
    Have a great Christmas and may you win loads.
    Nannypat66