You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat

I have recently started dabbling in PLO and PLO8, playing bits of cash and a few MTT's culminating in finishing 2nd in tonight's £100 guarantee PLO Hi/Lo (blatant brag, sorry).
 I am finding the game far more thought provoking and enjoyable than Hold Em and believe that most players, once they got their head round the basics, would also find the game a nice change to their staple diet of Hold Em.
 To this end I was wondering if there would be enough interest out there for the introduction of a flagship Sunday tournament.
 I was thinking of a 7.30pm Sunday start with a guarantee of £1,000 or £2,000 with a buy-in of £5 or £10. Each week could alternate between PLO and PLO8. I just think there maybe a demand out there for this and believe it would help promote the game on SKYPoker and may lead to a few more players joining the site.
 Thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Hi  Trebor, 

FOSP have a PLO Tournie every Sunday Now alternating Hilo & PLO, numbers have more than doubled recently, you obviously welcome to play, if not already, but maybe i'll ask sky to put guarantee on this, see how it develops.

HiLo has defo found some newer fans here as demonstrated by The FOSP HILO League on Thursdays!!

Good idea tho!!
  • edited January 2015
    I see the Extra FOSP Hilo tournie Sky put on for us tonight got 52 runners,  ON NEW YEARS DAY!!!

I & many others,  could not play today as well, we hoping after only 4 weeks running this tournie may top 100 later this month!!
  • edited January 2015
     Played in it for the first time this week, really enjoyed structure and as you say the demand seems
    to be there.
    Possibly Tikay would sponsor a flagship tourney, he could have a special bounty on his head.

• edited January 2015
    I really think Sky should try and push for more PLO/PLO8 traffic.

While the real numbers game for the site is all about filling NH cash tables - creating a niche and being recognised as a site that is also good for PLO/8 enthusiasts will be good for the site in general.

If it wasn't for Tikay I (like many I suspect) would never had even tried the format - now with Macacgirls challenge and Churchys league there is a credible community out there.

A weekly decent guarantee would surely attract more traffic once word gets around?

Still yet to be on the site early enough on a Thursday to enter the league challenge but hopefully now that xmas and NY days are behind us I'll be able to fix that soon.
  • edited January 2015
    Trebor!! Thanks.

I will speak with Brian Churchy, who Runs FOSP HiLo League on thursdays & Dave Solarcarro who runs FOSP PLO Varients league on a Sunday, see their thoughts, we can debate here i suppose in open for all.

Maybe TK & Sky can Join in Too, give us their thoughts.

An easy Trial would be to have Garantee placed on the FOSP Sunday tournie, and maybe make it HiLo every week. as this seems popular defo.

It is Currently £3.30, so not out of everyones reach, has good structure too

Initially a £300 or £500 garantee could be a stepping stone.

Would You like to Help Us in FOSP with this Sunday Proposal Trebor??
    Would be grateful, we find 2/3 folks helping with Leagues, makes work liter!

The Hitman
  • edited January 2015
    The Thursday Night PLO8 League is already attracting very good numbers. Over 50 on New Years Day and 70 odd just before Christmas is a great start.

The numbers on the Sunday night FOSP Omaha League have jumped up in recent weeks as well so it is clear that there is a demand. One of my mates plays on iPoker because they get the biggest PLO8 field and they usually get around fifty players. We have already topped that in a few weeks from a standing start.

The big break through will come when they can show Omaha on the TV channel. If they could do that next Thursday, there would be well over a hundred players.

Think this is ready to explode.
  • edited January 2015
    I think the fact that this thread got only 6 replies so far, and that 3 of those were from the same person, tells you all you need to know. 

Similar Omaha events have been suggested many times, tried a few times, never got off the ground.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament:
    I think the fact that this thread got only 6 replies so far, and that 3 of those were from the same person, tells you all you need to know.  Similar Omaha events have been suggested many times, tried a few times, never got off the ground.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Ever the optimist :)
  • edited January 2015

Omaha rebuy speed BH.

Build it, and they will come.

• edited January 2015

It is Currently £3.30, so not out of everyones reach, has good structure too

Initially a £300 or £500 garantee could be a stepping stone.

Would You like to Help Us in FOSP with this Sunday Proposal Trebor??
    Would be grateful, we find 2/3 folks helping with Leagues, makes work liter!

The Hitman

A 500 gtd used to run every Friday night , 10p.m. start, unlimited rebuys plus 1 add on. Used to just
      miss the GTEE so am sure with the new interest being shown in PLO8 this would be well supported,
      however, it gets mentioned every time 1 of these threads start but to no avail. 

Perhaps with ur influence, Dave, the suits will have a good look at starting something along those lines.
  • edited January 2015
    I'd personally love to see a PLO tournament. There's no reason to me why the site can't start with a small guarentee.

• edited January 2015
    The Thursday Night PLO8 League is already attracting very good numbers. Over 50 on New Years Day and 70 odd just before Christmas is a great start. The numbers on the Sunday night FOSP Omaha League have jumped up in recent weeks as well so it is clear that there is a demand. One of my mates plays on iPoker because they get the biggest PLO8 field and they usually get around fifty players. We have already topped that in a few weeks from a standing start. The big break through will come when they can show Omaha on the TV channel. If they could do that next Thursday, there would be well over a hundred players. Think this is ready to explode.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger

Hesitate to post again on this thread as GaryQQQ might see it as weakness.

However, Ice_Tiger makes a couple of great points here...

1. Someone has looked around for a good site to play PLO8 and plays on a site woth 50 runner fields
    2. Showing Omaha on the TV channel would be a tremendous boost for numbers.

Just with the community forum and some promotion through the chatbox we have built fields that rival the "best available" in just a few weeks.

Put it on TV / promote it through other blogs/forums/social media and I see no reason why we couldnt smash 100 sometime soon.

Even without a boost from TV coverage the best the Ploppers can do is to support what is already there and create some numbers to draw the suits attention.

But just imagine if MsFowler regged a PLO8 dym instead of NL cash - or there was a tourney featured on the show with a bounty on TKs head (preferably before Macagirl1 leaves these shores).

Think positive ploppers the Sky is the limit.

• edited January 2015
    I think the fact that this thread got only 6 replies so far, and that 3 of those were from the same person, tells you all you need to know.  Similar Omaha events have been suggested many times, tried a few times, never got off the ground.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Gary, 5 weeks ago, Brian churchy, made a Suggestion for a Hilo Multi Tournie league to me for FOSP!!

After consulting forum, which got 100+ posts I think, we ran with it, with Skys support, Sky adding FOSP extra tournie for us, on Thursdays!

These Tournies, even this early, smashed Garantees & some have had over 70 runners!

The FOSP Hilo team of Brian, Me & Scousered are confident we will get to 100+, and will speak with Dave, Solarcarro, TK & Sky about how we might progress sundays FOSP PLO potential!! I will speak to Key APAT HILO FOLKS TOO, about joining in, as FOSP are forging strong links with them.

..as my Good friend Harry quoted above.. from one of my Fav sporting films...

"If you Build it, they will come"
  • edited January 2015
    PS Gary....

That's 4 from me now....
    OOOOopps 5 now, sry!!

you better than me with figures ofc, X
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament : Gary, 5 weeks ago, Brian churchy, made a Suggestion for a Hilo Multi Tournie league to me for FOSP!! After consulting forum, which got 100+ posts I think, we ran with it, with Skys support, Sky adding FOSP extra tournie for us, on Thursdays! These Tournies, even this early, smashed Garantees & some have had over 70 runners! The FOSP Hilo team of Brian, Me & Scousered are confident we will get to 100+, and will speak with Dave, Solarcarro, TK & Sky about how we might progress sundays FOSP PLO potential!! I will speak to Key APAT HILO FOLKS TOO, about joining in, as FOSP are forging strong links with them. ..as my Good friend Harry quoted above.. from one of my Fav sporting films... "If you Build it, they will come"
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    WP Dave,
    Team AJ would like  give his stamp of aproval,
    and is looking forward to the new sunday night schedual.
    It would be an honour for the future plo8 champion to play this tournament.

Regards Alan (plo8 master in the making)
  • edited January 2015

Several interesting points and ideas been put up here.

The idea of having properly done biggish omaha tournament in my mind would work well. With my realistic head on i have to admit that omaha is not as popular as NLHE and probably will never get the close to the same numbers. But we are not talking about getting the same numbers just a good size field here.

The counter arguement used by th NLHE crowd will be we are more popular and should get everything.

I commented about the latest UKOPS and how lots had asked for PLO8 to be include and all that had happened was for the omaha to be downgraded. I was told by several people on that thread that their game was more popular and only their game should be catered for.

Interesting stats from the last UKOPS. Several tournaments failed to reach their guarantee, which is good for the players but bad for the site. They were all NLHE tournaments, the omaha yet again exceeded the guarantee.

If this could be got up and running it would work if only in a minor way. And would be a great way for the outsider players to be in the mainstream.

As far as TV is concerned. Would be lovely to see this type of thing but would only work if the analyst at the time were well versed in the game and understood the nuances and gameplay involved
  • edited January 2015

Morning all.

I had not seen this thread (see "losing the plot") but Phantom alerted me to it via my little Diary thing & asked me to take a look, & comment. As you know, nothing would please me, or many of you, more than to see bigger & better PLO & PLO8 Tourneys on Sky Poker. 

It will always be a minority interest game, I'm afraid. There are encouraging signs of a pick up, but that'll be a slow burner, a long job.  

Show it on Ch 861? That I doubt very much, certainly in the near term. They have half developed the special "Console" required, but there are so many higher priorities, & a lack of resource, so I don't see it happening, certainly not in the near term.  

For the Business, they try to get as much value as they can in all things, so spending valuable resource on a game barely 2% or 3% of the site population plays, instead of the vastly more popular NLH, is a tough case to make.

I'm more than happy to send a note upstairs & ask for a weekly PLO &/or PLO8 MTT with a bigger Guaranteee than at present. The current "biggie" is £100, I think?

Personally, I'd suggest starting with a slightly less optimistic Guarantee, maybe £250 or £300. If that covers for a few weeks, then up the stakes & try for £500, & so on.

Is Sunbday REALLY the best night? I'm not so sure. I think the Business would be LESS inclined to support it on a Sunday, when the Site is already busy, & they want to encourage action in the Main, Mini, & UKPC Finals. It would also clash with the existing Community based PLO & PLO8 thing.

I think a weekday night would be better received by the Suits.

I'd actually be happy to underwrite the cost of a sensible Guarantee personally for a week or two if need be. I'm also happy to donate the cost of a Bounty on me or someone else from 861. If Neil were available, I know he'd play it, too, which might help.  

So, that's my views.

Watcha think?

• edited January 2015
    Sorted, leave it to Mac!

PLO8 (My guess, PLO8 is more popular on the site than PLO)
    Not on Thursday as that's the great FOSP PLO8 night, so, Friday, Saturday or Sunday at a reasonable start time, 1930 etc, not 2200 or owt else daft.
    £200 or £250 guarantee to start, no need to get all giddy.  See how things go, increase the guarantee if entries warrant it.
    Ask Ambo 'No-Comb' Channing and TK to play the first one, with a cheap little bounty on their heads.
    If No-Comb can't afford it, I'll lend him a couple of quid.
  • edited January 2015
    Sounds absolutely outstanding Tikay.
  • edited January 2015
    Friday night PLO8 as there's sod all on the tellybox !
  • edited January 2015
    Great Points Talon, TK!!

Addition notes from me!

I don't see it as a Them [NLHE] & us,[PLO, PLO8] thing at all..
    I see it as complimentary....
    With many newer poker players, like me, brought up on NLHE, wishing to broaden their Poker horizons, into other areas, PLO and Now PLO8. Thus Embracing the existing PLO8 community, ie Talon, macagirl, churchy etc, for Knowledge & Enjoyment!!

I agree, maybe Sunday is not ideal, but we already have a FOSP PLO tournie Running Sundays at 7.30pm, which evolved out of a Hitsquad idea, then FOSP took over, & recently with the early publicity, success of the FOSP Hilo Thursdays, this Sunday Tournie has QUADRUPLED its numbers!!

Hey,  this is a very loose constructive debate, started by trebor, I think All ideas are welcome!!
     I would be happy to initially increase the push for this with our FOSP Sundays, maybe also the Popular FOSP Hilo Thursday nite could be considered at later date for a SPECIFIC Sky Prestige Hilo tournie, giving Sky a Unique Hilo nite, of FIVE Tournies!!!!

This would be benefit I would 'sell' to suits, Sky could Grab this Momentum, generated by a few in community, to establish a UniqueSellingPoint of a SPECIAL ELITE Hilo Nite, Thurdays complimenting the Initial Sundays maybe.

NOW THATS AN IDEA NOT PUT FORWARD BEFORE.

This could bring in EXPERIANCED Poker Traffic from other sites & APAT etc.

The initial FOSP Hilo thurdays champion for DECEMBER was Frank B, APAT Irish National Captain, for instance.
    people like Frank, and his friends & colleugues are an Added bonus to sky Site & community.

SKY HAVE EASY OPPURTUNITY HERE to develop this USP, we have skeleton & base in place.

If Sky & community feel there is a better Nite for this GREAT, lets try it tho!!

Thanks for the generous offer TK, I hope some Sky Suits read & listen, then act to help.
    Maybe a SKY group could be put together to develop this, think about it....

Seize the moment SKY, what are your thoughts???

"IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!!"
  • edited January 2015
    think it could work for PLO8 with a lot of pushing.

But cant see omaha getting the numbers just look at all the omaha(i know the ukops met its gtd but a 1 of event is different from a regular thing) games that run not great numbers at all and then even the £100 gtd plo8 game misses its guarantee sometimes so really cant see sky putting on a 500gtd event when the main nightly game struggles for numbers at least once a week!

I think the only way it would work would be a monthly event say last sunday of the month and have some sats running throuhout the month too build numbers then on the week of the game itself put on say 30/60 £1.10 all in sats thats 5/10 a day for 6 days before game that would help and then theres the buy in not sure how many of the regular low stakes players will be willing too buy in if its anymore than the £11  and even then a few will not pay that! think it could work with the right setup and the correct start up time.

EDIT MAYBE EVEN OFFER WEEKLY WINNER OPTION OF ENTRY TOO THE BIG ONE INSTEAD  IF THEY CHOOSE

Sky could take the hit for 1 month try it out but i think with the right promotion that it could easily take off and with the traffic/interest tikay macacgirl and others have helped build up with the diary and challenge i think this is a good oportunity for sky too try reach other new players as well would be easy for them too advertise on facebook/twitter at no cost..

A bounty hunter pl08 now that would be crazy stuff people get it in all the time without bounties.
    the game would probably be done in 40 minutes but would definetly be a fun/interesting game

all the best brian
  • edited January 2015
    Great Points Talon, TK!! Addition notes from me! I don't see it as a Them [NLHE] & us,[PLO, PLO8] thing at all.. I see it as complimentary.... With many newer poker players, like me, brought up on NLHE, wishing to broaden their Poker horizons, into other areas, PLO and Now PLO8. Thus Embracing the existing PLO8 community, ie Talon, macagirl, churchy etc, for Knowledge & Enjoyment!! I agree, maybe Sunday is not ideal, but we already have a FOSP PLO tournie Running Sundays at 7.30pm, which evolved out of a Hitsquad idea, then FOSP took over, & recently with the early publicity, success of the FOSP Hilo Thursdays, this Sunday Tournie has QUADRUPLED its numbers!! Hey,  this is a very loose constructive debate, started by trebor, I think All ideas are welcome!!  I would be happy to initially increase the push for this with our FOSP Sundays, maybe also the Popular FOSP Hilo Thursday nite could be considered at later date for a SPECIFIC Sky Prestige Hilo tournie, giving Sky a Unique Hilo nite, of FIVE Tournies!!!! This would be benefit I would 'sell' to suits, Sky could Grab this Momentum, generated by a few in community, to establish a UniqueSellingPoint of a SPECIAL ELITE Hilo Nite , Thurdays complimenting the Initial Sundays maybe. NOW THATS AN IDEA NOT PUT FORWARD BEFORE. This could bring in EXPERIANCED Poker Traffic from other sites & APAT etc. The initial FOSP Hilo thurdays champion for DECEMBER was Frank B, APAT Irish National Captain, for instance. people like Frank, and his friends & colleugues are an Added bonus to sky Site & community. SKY HAVE EASY OPPURTUNITY HERE to develop this USP, we have skeleton & base in place. If Sky & community feel there is a better Nite for this GREAT, lets try it tho!! Thanks for the generous offer TK, I hope some Sky Suits read & listen, then act to help. Maybe a SKY group could be put together to develop this, think about it.... Seize the moment SKY, what are your thoughts??? "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!!"
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Understand your thinking Dave, but i think 5 mtt's on the same night would be too much for most people and might have the effect of diluting the existing PLO8 league.
    Just my thoughts.
  • edited January 2015

There were 2 aims that running a Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament would hopefully achieve.

1. Increase the traffic that is playing PLO/PLO8. I am the epitomy of the recreational player and have only just started playing PLO/PLO8. So I log on to my SkyPoker account to play a bit of poker on a Saturday afternoon whilst listening to the football. I fancy playing a bit of PLO and these are my options.
       a) Between now (2pm) and 4.25pm there is 1 MTT, a £1.10 PLO8 tourney.
       b) There is one 60p PLO8 DYM with 2 players registered and one 60p PLO DYM with 1 player registered.
       c) There is not one player sat at a PLO/PLO8 cash table under the 50p/£1 limit.
     Now the NLHE majority will say there you go, no demand. I would say I am a recreational player who wants to play some PLO/PLO8 so I will go off to another site to play there. The whole point of a Flagship MTT would be to raise the profile. The ideal time to raise the profile is when the most players are on the site, 7.30pm Sunday. I would hope that if the Flagship started to draw some decent numbers in terms of players we may see an increase in the buy-in and frequency of the daily MTT schedule. I would love to see a £5.50 PLO/PLO8 MTT every 2 hours, no guarantees needed, surely Sky can't lose.

2. Make Skypoker the home of PLO/PLO8 in the UK. At the moment there is no clear home of Omaha in the online world. On every site there is a very limited schedule and nowhere for the recreational PLO player to call home. I am sure that if Skypoker was to launch a Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament with a decent guarantee, nothing silly just a £1k, £5.50 buy in, and put together a decent nightly schedule at the £5.50/£11 buy in it would attract PLO/PLO8 players from other sites who are wondering around in the poker wilderness looking for somewhere to call home.

I understand the argument that Sunday night is not the right night but strongly advocate it needs to be on a Sunday evening. The biggest night of the week for the online player is a Sunday and many players have a MTT schedule that includes several MTT's. If Skypoker want to be regarded as a decent site to play your online poker on then it needs to have a really strong Sunday evening offering. To help achieve this it is essential the Flagship Omaha Tournament is played on a Sunday. If the biggest site in the world can have a plethora of big guarantee MTT's on a Sunday evening surely Skypoker can add a £1k Guaranteed, £5.50 buy in MTT to the schedule.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament : Understand your thinking Dave, but i think 5 mtt's on the same night would be too much for most people and might have the effect of diluting the existing PLO8 league. Just my thoughts.
    Posted by VespaPX
    +1 quiet a few of the playes struggle/are uncomfortable with 2 tables or more think the only way you would be able too do it would be change the £100gtd   for that 1 night.

On the 1st week of the league there was £225+ in prize money for the £100gtd game cant see how many played but more than week2

week 2 had 43 players so that £215 in the pot

week 3 xmas got 22 runners £110

week4 new years day 38 runners £190

not sure how it all works but that shows that the numbers are just about there for a £200/250gtd but not sure how many/much more.
  • edited January 2015
    I too have only just been trying PLO8 and mainly because ot the Sunday FOSP one, I tried the thursday one and did poorly in all 4 as expected, Still you have to start somewhere, and if interest can be generated then I suspect more will try it. I like the bounty idea on TK's or Neil's head to generate a bit more fun.
  • edited January 2015

I'd love to see TKs face on television if he was forced to pose with an actual bounty bar on the top of his head.

• edited January 2015
    I'd love to see TKs face on television if he was forced to pose with an actual bounty bar on the top of his head.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    come on now stay on topic!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Sunday Flagship Omaha Tournament : come on now stay on topic!
    Posted by churchy18
    Think shes just trying to boost the thread. ;-)
    FWIW  Im deffo interested in plo8 tourney.
  • edited January 2015

Thanks Tikay for joining in and adding your thoughts - while you obviously like PLO8 and know the community here - you are best placed to manage realistic expectations regarding the "suited ones".

IMO I think attracting existing PLO/8 players to this site should be easier/cheaper than trying to poach existing NLHE players.

And lets not forget while most people have a preference for one or the other, many PLO/8 players also play NL.

We are building a good community here and a modest guarantee on existing tournaments would I expect be easily met with a little promotion and good timing. A publicised bounty for your good self or any other known faces would most likely help smash it.

I agree we should look to build slowly and steadily than try a major guarantee that doesn't get met.

GL with the smartly dressed office dwellers.

PS If the work to create a 4 card system for TV has started but stalled - I might be interested in helping out - If it is not a major task (just too far down the priority list) then I would offer my services for free. I cant promise to get it done quickly but slowly is better than not at all.