You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

lolufold

edited July 2015 in Poker Chat
As with all former presenters and analysists on sky,once your gone your gone.Used to love carlo on sky coz he pulled no punches on the way players played which i think was his demise as the suits would of took this as putting of players from the site,cant be to critical and all that bs.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I have just been playing and watching the main event. Had the pleasure (or not) of having lolufold on my table. A hand of his was featured on 861 yet there was no reference at all of him being ex? analyst Redmond Lee. This seems a bit fickle to me.

Obviously don't know the ins and outs of the situation but he was the best analyst Sky have had imo, as well as being a "stalwart" of Sky back in the day. To give no reference to him seemed a bit out of order. I was just a bit miffed!

Over reacting??
  • edited January 2015
    Redmond was always polite........I prob am over reacting but just it was harsh not to give him any recognition at all. Sky were all for him not long ago.

Here today, forgotten about tomorrow
  • edited January 2015

You obviously never been divorvced Waller.

A relationship breakdown can be acrimonious, but time is a great healer.

Going to see the kids today. Staying at the ex's.

Not a had a row for ages, but old habits die hard.

Wish me luck you old softie you.

Catch you soon.

Daggers 

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold:
        You obviously never been divorvced Waller.    A relationship breakdown can be acrimonious, but time is a great healer.    Going to see the kids today. Staying at the ex's.     Not a had a row for ages, but old habits die hard.     Wish me luck you old softie you.     Catch you soon.     Daggers      
    Posted by daggers747
    Ha!

Very good Mr Daggers.

Have a nice day.
  • edited January 2015
    Redmond was always polite........I prob am over reacting but just it was harsh not to give him any recognition at all. Sky were all for him not long ago. Here today, forgotten about tomorrow
    Posted by waller02
    Morning Mr Wallerrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I think you are, perhaps, reading too much into this.

I never saw the Show, & I've no idea why his 861 connection was not mentioned, but its possible that Karl never even realised, or made the "connection".

There was, or is, to my knowledge, no "bad blood" between Redmond & Ch 861. 

He does not play so much these days, or not that I am aware of, & I've not seen him in many Sky Poker MTT's in the last 6 months.

Delighted he had a great result last night, & I'm hoping we will see him at the UKPC next month.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : Morning Mr Wallerrrrrrrrrrrrr. I think you are, perhaps, reading too much into this.   I never saw the Show, & I've no idea why his 861 connection was not mentioned, but its possible that Karl never even realised, or made the "connection". There was, or is, to my knowledge, no "bad blood" between Redmond & Ch 861.    He does not play so much these days, or not that I am aware of, & I've not seen him in many Sky Poker MTT's in the last 6 months. Delighted he had a great result last night, & I'm hoping we will see him at the UKPC next month.
    Posted by Tikay10

Yeah, you're probably right, I was just a bit puzzled at the time.

As for him not playing as much these days, I can confirm that he has still got it! He was the table boss and all I ended up doing was watching and trying to learn something lol.
  • edited January 2015
    Is Redman off the books now?

and why did Carlo leave, miss his commentary
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : Yeah, you're probably right, I was just a bit puzzled at the time. As for him not playing as much these days, I can confirm that he has still got it! He was the table boss and all I ended up doing was watching and trying to learn something lol.
    Posted by waller02
    Hi waller,

Just a quick PS to this.

The 861 Head Honcho, Dan, contacted me yesterday as he had seen the thread.

He was as puzzled as you were, there was no reason or "agenda" not to mention it was Redmond.

There are two "regular" Show Producers, Dan & Louis.

Part of what they do, non-stop, for 5 hours durinmg a show, is nudge & prompt the Presenter & Analyst, via their "talkback" (earpiece), as to various "interesting" things & players.

So they'd have said "lolufold is Redmond Lee, give him a mention bla bla" sorta thing. If the Presenter or Analyst was one who played on the site a lot, they'd know that anyway, but not all of them do. 

However, on Sunday, it was not a "regular" Producer, so they probably never even knew lolufold was Redmond. I doubt Karl would know the history, either.

• edited January 2015
    Is Redman off the books now? and why did Carlo leave, miss his commentary
    Posted by 1281
    That's one of those questions that Sky Poker, or Ch 861 will never answer Karim, as it's a bit personal, & private.

What I will do though is explain how the system works.

None of the Presenters or Analysts have a "contract" to appear as such, they (we...) all have an "Agreement".

All that Agreement says is, in short, "if we choose to use you for a show, you will be paid x, & will be expected to arrive at this time, & behave & conduct yourself in this manner".

It specifically does NOT say "we (ch 861) commit to using you regularly, infrequently, or ever". None of them are directly employed, they are all freelance. It simply says "IF we use you, these are the terms".

Every month (or not...) the Head Producer writes to those he may wish to use & says "please give us your availability for next month".

And if - IF - they write back with their available dates, & if - IF - the Producer wishes to book them, he does. And if he does not, thats it.

Equally, if the Presenter or Analyst does not want to commit to dates for the next month, or has no "convenient" dates available, they say so.

So nobody gets "sacked" as such, but if for some reason, either party does not wish to continue, that's it, end of. 

There are any number of reasons why they may, or may not, continue to appear on 861.

It's TV, people come & go.

I've been here since the start, as has Lord Smirk, but we both have to await that e-Mail every month telling us if we have any shifts next month or not. (With some trepidation & nervousness, I might add!). And if we don't, we don't, that's it, there's no "appeal" procedure or statutory rights. 

Hope that helps your understanding of the system.

• edited January 2015

No one could hope to regularly feed a family on such a basis as a trade unionist we complain about 0 hr contacts lol at least they have a contract. Is this common across TV Tikay?

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : That's one of those questions that Sky Poker, or Ch 861 will never answer Karim, as it's a bit personal, & private. What I will do though is explain how the system works. None of the Presenters or Analysts have a "contract" to appear as such, they (we...) all have an "Agreement".   All that Agreement says is, in short, "if we choose to use you for a show, you will be paid x, & will be expected to arrive at this time, & behave & conduct yourself in this manner". It specifically does NOT say "we (ch 861) commit to using you regularly, infrequently, or ever". None of them are directly employed, they are all freelance. It simply says "IF we use you, these are the terms". Every month (or not...) the Head Producer writes to those he may wish to use & says "please give us your availability for next month".   And if - IF - they write back with their available dates, & if - IF - the Producer wishes to book them, he does. And if he does not, thats it. Equally, if the Presenter or Analyst does not want to commit to dates for the next month, or has no "convenient" dates available, they say so. So nobody gets "sacked" as such, but if for some reason, either party does not wish to continue, that's it, end of.  There are any number of reasons why they may, or may not, continue to appear on 861. It's TV, people come & go. I've been here since the start, as has Lord Smirk, but we both have to await that e-Mail every month telling us if we have any shifts next month or not. (With some trepidation & nervousness, I might add!). And if we don't, we don't, that's it, there's no "appeal" procedure or statutory rights.  Hope that helps your understanding of the system.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Sky in zero-hour contract shocker.

I'm writing to private eye...

• edited January 2015
    No one could hope to regularly feed a family on such a basis as a trade unionist we complain about 0 hr contacts lol at least they have a contract. Is this common across TV Tikay?
    Posted by a00rock
    Yes, it's standard practice in "entertainment".

Not if your name is Bruce Forsyth or Dorothy Squires of course, they all have contracts & deals, but the vast majority of tv work is on the "as & when required" basis. Keeps them up to their task!

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : Yes, it's standard practice in "entertainment". Not if your name is Bruce Forsyth or Dorothy Squires of course, they all have contracts & deals, but the vast majority of tv work is on the "as & when required" basis. Keeps them up to their task!   
    Posted by Tikay10
     Blimey! Dorothy Squires! That's a name I didn't expect to see in this thread.

About 25 years ago my sister worked in the catering business. She would sometimes manage restaurants and other food places on a short-term basis. Somehow she ended up living in and running a pub called the Pheasant Plucker for about two years. It was owned by Dorothy Squires. I remember my parents being pretty impressed and thinking she was a top famous person. With no Wiki or Google in those days I had no real idea of why she was famous.
  • edited January 2015
    Posted by a00rock
    I would be some what concerned if it was any of the guys and girls sole income and was used to feed the family. They all do other things and given there is only 3 shows a week which are shared out it must work well both ways. Analyst/presenter has a better offer elsewhere then they would want to say they were unavailable and take up the better offer.
  • edited January 2015
    Im so confused by all of this, firstly i thought redman lee was yoyo. Why does Richard keep getting emails? ;) And who the hell is Dorothy squires? 
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : I would be some what concerned if it was any of the guys and girls sole income and was used to feed the family. They all do other things and given there is only 3 shows a week which are shared out it must work well both ways. Analyst/presenter has a better offer elsewhere then they would want to say they were unavailable and take up the better offer.
    Posted by MattBates
    That's fair enough Matt but if the other things are TV work with the same non contractual terms where are the guarantees that they will get any paid work in a given month? Not a scenario I would like any of my kids to be in!

Anyway bring back the beautiful Kara Scott I hear she is a free agent again ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : That's fair enough Matt but if the other things are TV work with the same non contractual terms where are the guarantees that they will get any paid work in a given month? Not a scenario I would like any of my kids to be in!
    Posted by a00rock
    That's just the nature of the beast. There are no guarantees in that line of work.

As to those on 861, it is not the "primary income" for any of them. 

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : That's just the nature of the beast. There are no guarantees in that line of work.   As to those on 861, it is not the "primary income" for any of them.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Glad to hear it and I have to say the 3 shows are the highlight of my TV viewing week. The fact that most nights have different presenters experts and analysts keeps the show fresh and interesting. We have had some of the best in the business across the years on SP TV (to many names to mention) and long may it last.
  • edited January 2015
    very good player watch him alot on the tv before and speaks alot of sense strange thats hes not on the show anymore
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : That's fair enough Matt but if the other things are TV work with the same non contractual terms where are the guarantees that they will get any paid work in a given month? Not a scenario I would like any of my kids to be in! Anyway bring back the beautiful Kara Scott I hear she is a free agent again ;-)
    Posted by a00rock
    If your a full time poker pro you have no guarantees you'll earn money every month!! Regardless of what your job is, you should always have money set aside for a rainy day fund... for a poker player, that might be 6-8 months at least. And with a zero hour contract or similar it might be the same. Or if you are in a more secure job then it might be 4-6 months. 

If you find work has dried up in a 2 month period then it would be a good idea to start looking for something else - but having that buffer there will help you!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold :  Blimey! Dorothy Squires! That's a name I didn't expect to see in this thread.  About 25 years ago my sister worked in the catering business. She would sometimes manage restaurants and other food places on a short-term basis. Somehow she ended up living in and running a pub called the Pheasant Plucker for about two years. It was owned by Dorothy Squires. I remember my parents being pretty impressed and thinking she was a top famous person. With no Wiki or Google in those days I had no real idea of why she was famous.
    Posted by NChanning
    I'm gonna request this to be read out on the show tonight.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : I'm gonna request this to be read out on the show tonight.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
     Just had a good read up on her, had a bunch of hit singles, was an early TV star and married Roger Moore.

Between 1971 and 1986 she was involved in over 30 court cases. She was so fond of suing people that eventually she got banned from the High Court. Ended up losing all her fortune on legal fees and had to rely on a fan to pay for a house for her in later years.

That is my plan actually. Doesn't have to be bigger than five or six bedrooms.

Love Redmond by the way, great player and a really nice guy. Very good temperament for playing poker, everyone could learn that one lesson from him. Played with him 100s of times live and rarely saw him tilt (think I got him there a couple of times but it was tougher than I thought it would be).
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : Hi waller, Just a quick PS to this. The 861 Head Honcho, Dan, contacted me yesterday as he had seen the thread. He was as puzzled as you were, there was no reason or "agenda" not to mention it was Redmond.   There are two "regular" Show Producers, Dan & Louis.   Part of what they do, non-stop, for 5 hours durinmg a show, is nudge & prompt the Presenter & Analyst, via their "talkback" (earpiece), as to various "interesting" things & players. So they'd have said "lolufold is Redmond Lee, give him a mention bla bla" sorta thing. If the Presenter or Analyst was one who played on the site a lot, they'd know that anyway, but not all of them do.  However, on Sunday, it was not a "regular" Producer, so they probably never even knew lolufold was Redmond. I doubt Karl would know the history, either.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ah I see, I appreciate that there must be a lot of work going on behind the scenes. It was just a case of me being a bit puzzled and coupled with the fact that he no longer appears on show it did make me wonder if the Sky/Redmond relationship had gone stale.

Too nosy for my own good sometimes!

Fwiw it would be good if Redmond could make a guest appearance on a show again sometime. He was a natural in front of the cameras and great analyst.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold :  Just had a good read up on her, had a bunch of hit singles, was an early TV star and married Roger Moore.  Between 1971 and 1986 she was involved in over 30 court cases. She was so fond of suing people that eventually she got banned from the High Court. Ended up losing all her fortune on legal fees and had to rely on a fan to pay for a house for her in later years.  That is my plan actually. Doesn't have to be bigger than five or six bedrooms.  Love Redmond by the way, great player and a really nice guy. Very good temperament for playing poker, everyone could learn that one lesson from him. Played with him 100s of times live and rarely saw him tilt (think I got him there a couple of times but it was tougher than I thought it would be).
    Posted by NChanning
    Did someone miss the bolded bit? ;)

Sack the ambassador!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: lolufold : That's one of those questions that Sky Poker, or Ch 861 will never answer Karim, as it's a bit personal, & private. What I will do though is explain how the system works. None of the Presenters or Analysts have a "contract" to appear as such, they (we...) all have an "Agreement".   All that Agreement says is, in short, "if we choose to use you for a show, you will be paid x, & will be expected to arrive at this time, & behave & conduct yourself in this manner". It specifically does NOT say "we (ch 861) commit to using you regularly, infrequently, or ever". None of them are directly employed, they are all freelance. It simply says "IF we use you, these are the terms". Every month (or not...) the Head Producer writes to those he may wish to use & says "please give us your availability for next month".   And if - IF - they write back with their available dates, & if - IF - the Producer wishes to book them, he does. And if he does not, thats it. Equally, if the Presenter or Analyst does not want to commit to dates for the next month, or has no "convenient" dates available, they say so. So nobody gets "sacked" as such, but if for some reason, either party does not wish to continue, that's it, end of.  There are any number of reasons why they may, or may not, continue to appear on 861. It's TV, people come & go. I've been here since the start, as has Lord Smirk, but we both have to await that e-Mail every month telling us if we have any shifts next month or not. (With some trepidation & nervousness, I might add!). And if we don't, we don't, that's it, there's no "appeal" procedure or statutory rights.  Hope that helps your understanding of the system.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm shocked to learn that even you and Rich have no security of employment but the day that Sky Poker dispense with the services of either of you is the day I stop watching.
    I sincerely hope that day never comes.
  • edited January 2015
    The downside for us viewers of the "talent" having this type of working arrangements means we almost never get to know when it is someone's last show so we never really got a proper chance to thank and say goodbye to Carlo, Ed, Sarah etc. I know we did know in advance when it was James' last show (and that was a really good show) and if memory serves we maybe did with LML too.

• edited June 2015

Did someone say that lolufold doesn't play much these days (earlier in thread)??

Looking at the stats he's played only about a few 'thousand' games recently?

Sat there this morning looking for 200quid HU games too. Not much playing then, lol
  • edited June 2015
    Guess all the play came since those big wins here?
  • edited June 2015
    Did someone say that lolufold doesn't play much these days (earlier in thread)?? Looking at the stats he's played only about a few 'thousand' games recently? Sat there this morning looking for 200quid HU games too. Not much playing then, lol
    Posted by swanstu
    Confused, you know the comment was made 6months ago and referring to the 6months before then?
  • edited June 2015
    Nice thread guys, interesting to read everyones input.

Im just wondering if anyone here has spent time being a professional poker player and how this has impacted them looking for future jobs?  I imagine most places would hold it against you if you were a professional poker player and would not employ you unless the job your applying for is in the area of poker or gambling. I imagine also this will impact you when applying for a mortgage or loans from a financial institution.

Just curious if anyone has been in this situation as I think this is something people should consider when they have ambitions to become a full time poker pro. (I dont have any such intentions!) But I read a few threads here where people have this intention and some doing so successfully but I imagine there will come a point they will pack it in sometime and have to look for pastures new or still have to apply for a mortgage from a financial institution despite making a living from poker.

Ger