You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Up Your Game

edited February 2015 in Poker Chat

new accounts in january and/or february?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Great new promotion for February.

Quick question for the Sky peeps.

Do new accounts class in the category of earning less than 80 points in January and therefore need to hit the special criteria to get in the freerolls, or are new acounts excluded from this promo ?

TIA
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game:
    new accounts in january and/or february?
    Posted by aussie09

Good question.  An answer for both options would be good, but I was more thinking about new accounts opened after the announcement of the promo, so February.
  • edited February 2015
    If I've read this right ....
    If I made 85 points in January I get entry into a £30000
    Free roll if I make 170 points in March? That is a good promotion !
    My own little Super roller..
  • edited February 2015
    If I've read this right .... If I made 85 points in January I get entry into a £30000 Free roll if I make 170 points in March? That is a good promotion ! My own little Super roller..
    Posted by andipandy
    In February, but apart form that, spot on.

And it's double point weekends throughout February, so no excuses really for not getting there.

(Unless you racked up a high level of points in January going for the TSP Promo, then it might be a bit tough to do, but not impossible)
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : In February, but apart form that, spot on. And it's double point weekends throughout February, so no excuses really for not getting there. (Unless you racked up a high level of points in January going for the TSP Promo, then it might be a bit tough to do, but not impossible)
    Posted by Fortunatus
    Ha! Well spotted ...
    Better crack on tonight ... I'm very micro stakes so this is a good promotion for the players like me 
     All the best at UKPC ( I did enjoy your little spot on the show !) 
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : Ha! Well spotted ... Better crack on tonight ... I'm very micro stakes so this is a good promotion for the players like me   All the best at UKPC ( I did enjoy your little spot on the show !) 
    Posted by andipandy

Thank You.

I think this is a brilliant promotion for the micro stakes players.  A lot of online promotions throw huge money at the volume players to rake more, this seems very much aimed at the recreational players to play a bit more, but with very achievable goals.

Gotta love that.
  • edited February 2015
    Really good promotion! Made 146 points in Jan and a profit of 60 quid (small brag!) from a 25 quid start just playing a few sats and games ranging up to 5.50 so gunna be a tough ask to get 300 points but will make a start today - however can only 1 table as on my iPad! 
  • edited February 2015

well done skypoker.  

such a good promotion that aims to reward the average player. 

excellent.

• edited February 2015
    Positives about the promotion - great for micro and recreational players.
    Negatives about the promotion - There will be plenty of reg (mid-higher stakes) players that didn't put in much volume in January and will be able to smash this promotion without having to "Up their game" - and then there are players like myself that put in a ton of volume last month and have little chance at this promotion since I already upped my game last month!!

I just think for future promotion ideas where a players previous month points total matters it needs rethinking because players can gain a big edge by "not being loyal" to sky and switching between sites and only returning when these sort of promotions come up to take full advantage of them.

One idea would be to base it on 3 month totals & to equate points tally to stake level. 

Anyway, positives seem to outweigh the negatives and overall a good promotion!
  • edited February 2015
    Positives about the promotion - great for micro and recreational players. Negatives about the promotion - There will be plenty of reg (mid-higher stakes) players that didn't put in much volume in January and will be able to smash this promotion without having to "Up their game" - and then there are players like myself that put in a ton of volume last month and have little chance at this promotion since I already upped my game last month!! I just think for future promotion ideas where a players previous month points total matters it needs rethinking because players can gain a big edge by "not being loyal" to sky and switching between sites and only returning when these sort of promotions come up to take full advantage of them. One idea would be to base it on 3 month totals & to equate points tally to stake level.  Anyway, positives seem to outweigh the negatives and overall a good promotion!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

very good points,

me being a rec and dont put too much volume in is great for me, id say im pretty loyal too sky but cant play all the time, 

and the other point is true the regs who grind every month will find this very hard as i guess they hit the same points on average every month although u do have a few double point weekend which should help u make it ... im guessing.

and over the 3 month period i think is a good idea for the regs, last month i only racked 102 pts hardly anything but others i can hit 1500-2000 just depends on the wife and my overtime amount at work lol.

so if im getting it right i will not have too put too much volume in too qualify.... i think ???

as im unsure how many points i will need too make the £30,000 game.

• edited February 2015
    You need 204 points Chris to get entry to all 3 freerolls.

It's a great promo, and the double points weekends will deffo help. Sods law that I got my most points ever last month ;)

Worth noting that anyone getting 20,000 points this month (regardless of what they got last month) automatically gets entry to all 3 of them. I only saw this a couple of hours ago, so expect to see some of the sites big hitters regged in March.
  • edited February 2015
    I don't think it's a case of not being loyal, as I truly believe that a lot of recreational poker players don't really think like that.  I think most just play when they want to on whichever site takes their fancy.  That may be swayed by particular promotions going on, but at the end of the day, they are just looking for their poker game when time and finances dictate it possible.

@Chris_Mc - Just have a look on your 'My Account' page for the poker points you generated in January and then double it for your target towards the £30k freeroll.  So if it's 102 as you've stated, then 204 will be good in February.

Good luck with the grind :)
  • edited February 2015
    You need 204 points Chris to get entry to all 3 freerolls. It's a great promo, and the double points weekends will deffo help. Sods law that I got my most points ever last month ;) Worth noting that anyone getting 20,000 points this month (regardless of what they got last month) automatically gets entry to all 3 of them. I only saw this a couple of hours ago, so expect to see some of the sites big hitters regged in March.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Ha Ha, beat me to it.  Nice work :)
  • edited February 2015
    cheers for clearing that up guys!!

gl.

see u in the freerolls!
  • edited February 2015
    Positives about the promotion - great for micro and recreational players. Negatives about the promotion - There will be plenty of reg (mid-higher stakes) players that didn't put in much volume in January and will be able to smash this promotion without having to "Up their game" - and then there are players like myself that put in a ton of volume last month and have little chance at this promotion since I already upped my game last month!! I just think for future promotion ideas where a players previous month points total matters it needs rethinking because players can gain a big edge by "not being loyal" to sky and switching between sites and only returning when these sort of promotions come up to take full advantage of them. One idea would be to base it on 3 month totals & to equate points tally to stake level.  Anyway, positives seem to outweigh the negatives and overall a good promotion!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Did certain players know in advance of the promo that this would be the case? Surely nobody had the chance to decide to leave Sky for the month in anticipation of an easy target the next month... although do feel for people you that smashed it in January and probably now have no choice but to hit 20k to gain from the promo now :/

In Response to Re: Up Your Game:
    You need 204 points Chris to get entry to all 3 freerolls. It's a great promo, and the double points weekends will deffo help. Sods law that I got my most points ever last month ;) Worth noting that anyone getting 20,000 points this month (regardless of what they got last month) automatically gets entry to all 3 of them. I only saw this a couple of hours ago, so expect to see some of the sites big hitters regged in March.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I thought it was only Nitty Noras that bothered wasting their time with freerolls, so am expecting only micro stakes recs and BR nits to be playing the three games in March ;)

Sounds like another good promo though, hope Sky can find a few more of these personal challenge type events as it seems to be a good way to give (almost) everybody a bit of extra play for their money!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Up Your Game:
    Great new promotion for February. Quick question for the Sky peeps. Do new accounts class in the category of earning less than 80 points in January and therefore need to hit the special criteria to get in the freerolls, or are new acounts excluded from this promo ? TIA
    Posted by Fortunatus
    Hi Leigh,

A new account in January that earned poker points - regular rules/targets apply.

An account joining in February will be classed as not earning any points in January so 200 points plus will get them in all 3 freerolls.

I'm 99% sure that's the case, if I find out tomorrow it's not I'll post again.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Up Your Game : Hi Leigh, A new account in January that earned poker points - regular rules/targets apply. An account joining in February will be classed as not earning any points in January so 200 points plus will get them in all 3 freerolls. I'm 99% sure that's the case, if I find out tomorrow it's not I'll post again.
    Posted by Sky_DanR
    Thanks Dan

I'm going to put an article up about it on our site, so wanted to make sure I've got my facts correct :)
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I for one think this is excellent, perfect timing with Uni exams ;-)
  • edited February 2015
    Can we find out what structure the freerolls will be turbo/deepstack etc? also will the payout system be the same as a regular 30k mtt or will it be a more flatter pay out like a lot of freerolls are?
  • edited February 2015
    Can we find out what structure the freerolls will be turbo/deepstack etc? also will the payout system be the same as a regular 30k mtt or will it be a more flatter pay out like a lot of freerolls are?
    Posted by jordz16

Im willing to bet it will be a turbo ...... A deepstack would be great!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : Im willing to bet it will be a turbo ...... A deepstack would be great!
    Posted by andipandy

will have to be a turbo as up to 2,500 players

• edited February 2015

Not sure of the logic behind this initiative. I earned 1166 points in January and would need to earn 2332 points in just 28 days in February to qualify for all the freerolls (and ergo get my pro rata share of the 60k). Because of work commitments and the time available, this will be almost impossible for me. But if I'd only played quite occasionaly in January, earning say 100 points, then it would be a doddle! That can't be right.

• edited February 2015
    yeah i imagine you are right Aussie, a regular/deepstack would be far more beneficial in my opinion even if it had to start say 5/6pm.... i imagine all the recs who grind hard to qualify would love the chance to play in a roller/mega roller style event which is probably out of their bankrolls normally, and i doubt they would be too happy to run bad and be out with 30 mins.. also the higher stake grinders im sure would also prefer a deeper stacked event where their edge will be slightly higher..

also if its anything like the turbo tueday main then a final table with an 8bb average stack will make for pretty boring viewing imo...  maybe a different structure for each of the 3 events would be better.. 1 turbo, one deep and 1 bh maybe?
  • edited February 2015
    I just hope the payout structure is a bit flatter than usual. Would be terrible to put in all the effort and brick each FR.
  • edited February 2015
    Not sure of the logic behind this initiative. I earned 1166 points in January and would need to earn 2332 points in just 28 days in February to qualify for all the freerolls (and ergo get my pro rata share of the 60k). Because of work commitments and the time available, this will be almost impossible for me. But if I'd only played quite occasionaly in January, earning say 100 points, then it would be a doddle! That can't be right.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Logic is pretty obvious.
  • edited February 2015
    Go on, take the p1$$ Harry... you saying I just have to double my 100ish points from last month cos I hardly played begger all, to qual for big FR's?
  • edited February 2015
    Go on, take the p1$$ Harry... you saying I just have to double my 100ish points from last month cos I hardly played begger all, to qual for big FR's?
    Posted by samantha25
    Put in the volume to get to 200 points this month, darling. Be worth it ;)
  • edited February 2015
    Dont even have to up your volume just put the same volume in over the double point weekends will do it for most recs.

As always some people will feel disadvantaged by this promo - generally though this promo is advantageous for a whole section of the site for whom the promos are normally out of reach.

• edited February 2015
    Great promo, espec with the double points weekends. SKY benefits through greater volume, qualifiers get the free roll chance. (Hopefully) everyone's happy!
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    With the utmost respect to you and I do believe that you deserve that for your input to the forum and improving players game, I would like to see the post where you thought that last month's promotion only suited the poker players with a deep bankroll and who could endure high variance swings.