You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Up Your Game

2»

Comments

• edited February 2015
    There will have only been a very small % of the site population able to put in enough volume to compete for a UKPC seat in January's promotion. This month the promotion is far more inclusive and +1 to Sky for it.

For the high volume players, then is it right that they dont need to "double january" necessarily and can qualify by earning 20000 points even if they earned 30000+ last month?

So that surely only leaves a handful of players who bust a gut to earn circa 20000 points last month and cant see how they can match that this month? Yet it was clearly possible last month and the 3 fewer days is more than offset by the double points weekends.

So even they can if they want to - It's just that a shot at cash via freerolls is a less tangible incentive than a UKPC package.

Naturally there will be a significant number of players who hardly play on Sky at all and dip in every time there is promotion that suits them or good freerolls to be qualified for fairly easily.

Sky has no way of knowing which of the low volume population are recs (like me) who just play sky at the moment, or players who predominantly play elsewhere and come back for the right incentive. 

I think this is a brilliant promotion as it will undoubtedly create volume for Sky and it is just about the most inclusive promotion I think I have seen on Sky.

• edited February 2015
    Any update on the structure of these tournys yet?
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game:
    I don't think it's a case of not being loyal, as I truly believe that a lot of recreational poker players don't really think like that.  I think most just play when they want to on whichever site takes their fancy.  That may be swayed by particular promotions going on, but at the end of the day, they are just looking for their poker game when time and finances dictate it possible.
    I'm not talking about the recreational players. Yes, there are recreationals that switch sites for no particular reason but there are winning reg's that switch sites to take advantage of different promotions.

To answer shakinaces: No, they can't predict when these promotions are going to happen. But that doesn't matter. The point is they put less volume on sky than the sky regulars but are rewarded more easily.
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game:
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : With the utmost respect to you and I do believe that you deserve that for your input to the forum and improving players game, I would like to see the post where you thought that last month's promotion only suited the poker players with a deep bankroll and who could endure high variance swings.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Thank you :) I may not have posted about last month's promotion but I have in fact brought it up plenty of times that rake races favour certain players and that rake races need to be balanced out with awarding recreational players that don't have the time to spend 40+ hours a week grinding. 

I said in my post that overall I think this promotion is a great idea and that the positives definitely outweigh the negatives - rewarding REG's one month and REC's the next is great. I don't have a problem with the fact it's going to be incredibly tough for me to manage to get into the free-rolls. My only problem is the regular players that play 90% of their volume elsewhere are able to easily reach their target.

The whole point of the promotion is to "Up your game" and it's supposed to be a challenge, but for these players it isn't. Also, there are also rec players that are going to find this impossible because they were able to put in more volume last month than usually. 

In short, looking only at last months points tally isn't a good indicator on deciding how many points a player has to earn to "Up their game" - better would be to look at a few months and/or do some sort of average although it might be fairly complicated to do something accurate so I completely understand why sky would just choose to look at last months.

For this promotion, it's not really a problem. The £30k freeroll is worth £12 assuming 2500 runners so it's not really a big problem that some reg's that don't play here that often can easily reach that target since for lots of them £12 is probably at the lower end of stakes they would play (some might not play that low at all) - although the freeroll will still probably be good value and good fun if it's a turbo!

However, in the past Sky have done other promotions where you are excluded if you have earnt X points last month. Not only do these promotions fail to reward the regular players that constantly put in volume on sky but their intended target of awarding recreationals is lost since the regular players that don't play on sky much just come in and smash these promotions with the recreationals having no chance.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : I'm not talking about the recreational players. Yes, there are recreationals that switch sites for no particular reason but there are winning reg's that switch sites to take advantage of different promotions. To answer shakinaces: No, they can't predict when these promotions are going to happen. But that doesn't matter. The point is they put less volume on sky than the sky regulars but are rewarded more easily. In Response to  Re: Up Your Game : Thank you :) I may not have posted about last month's promotion but I have in fact brought it up plenty of times that rake races favour certain players and that rake races need to be balanced out with awarding recreational players that don't have the time to spend 40+ hours a week grinding.  I said in my post that overall I think this promotion is a great idea and that the positives definitely outweigh the negatives - rewarding REG's one month and REC's the next is great. I don't have a problem with the fact it's going to be incredibly tough for me to manage to get into the free-rolls. My only problem is the regular players that play 90% of their volume elsewhere are able to easily reach their target. The whole point of the promotion is to "Up your game" and it's supposed to be a challenge, but for these players it isn't. Also, there are also rec players that are going to find this impossible because they were able to put in more volume last month than usually.  In short, looking only at last months points tally isn't a good indicator on deciding how many points a player has to earn to "Up their game" - better would be to look at a few months and/or do some sort of average although it might be fairly complicated to do something accurate so I completely understand why sky would just choose to look at last months. For this promotion, it's not really a problem. The £30k freeroll is worth £12 assuming 2500 runners so it's not really a big problem that some reg's that don't play here that often can easily reach that target since for lots of them £12 is probably at the lower end of stakes they would play (some might not play that low at all) - although the freeroll will still probably be good value and good fun if it's a turbo! However, in the past Sky have done other promotions where you are excluded if you have earnt X points last month. Not only do these promotions fail to reward the regular players that constantly put in volume on sky but their intended target of awarding recreationals is lost since the regular players that don't play on sky much just come in and smash these promotions with the recreationals having no chance.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Was gonna give you a thumbs up, but couldn't find the emoticon!

• edited February 2015
    I agree that points should be averaged out over a three month period for ALL promotions that are points based.
  • edited February 2015
    You need 204 points Chris to get entry to all 3 freerolls. It's a great promo, and the double points weekends will deffo help. Sods law that I got my most points ever last month ;)Worth noting that anyone getting 20,000 points this month (regardless of what they got last month) automatically gets entry to all 3 of them. I only saw this a couple of hours ago, so expect to see some of the sites big hitters regged in March.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Taking this into account, I would say this is a very well balanced promo.

I know nothing is perfect, but given the fact that no prior warning is given, I think this stops some of the "staying away" theories put forward.

VWP IMHO SKY.
  • edited February 2015
    I agree that points should be averaged out over a three month period for ALL promotions that are points based.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Would this benefit you? If so, exactly what promotion would you have benefited from in the last 3 month, this month?

• edited February 2015
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Even Ivan woulnd'nt have won his UKPC TSP promotion if it was done over 3 month.
  • edited February 2015
    Any update on the structure of these tournys yet?
    Posted by jordz16
    2k starting stack
    110.00 / 20.005
    215.00 / 30.005
    320.00 / 40.005
    430.00 / 60.005
    540.00 / 80.005
    650.00 / 100.005
    -Late Registration Closes-
    775.00 / 150.005
    8100.00 / 200.005
    9150.00 / 300.005
    10200.00 / 400.005
    11300.00 / 600.005
    12400.00 / 800.005
    13600.00 / 1200.005
    14800.00 / 1600.005
    151000.00 / 2000.005
    161500.00 / 3000.005
    172000.00 / 4000.005
    183000.00 / 6000.005
    194000.00 / 8000.005
    206000.00 / 12000.005
    218000.00 / 16000.005
    2210000.00 / 20000.005
    2315000.00 / 30000.005
    2425000.00 / 50000.005
    2550000.00 / 100000.00-
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : Would this benefit you? If so, exactly what promotion would you have benefited from in the last 3 month, this month?
    Posted by yuranASSet
    It actually doesn't benefit me as I always make around the same each month. It just levels the playing field for a lot of players.
    It has other benefits but the main one would be to stop the advantage multi-accountants have! Especially in these type of promotions.

For example a few months ago Sky tried a points based promotion based on the last months points and tried to teir it as high, medium and low stakes but the problem was some of the big players hadn't played the previous month so when they played they absoloutly creamed the league and gave the target group no chance.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : It actually doesn't benefit me as I always make around the same each month. It just levels the playing field for a lot of players. It has other benefits but the main one would be to stop the advantage multi-accountants have! Especially in these type of promotions. For example a few months ago Sky tried a points based promotion based on the last months points and tried to teir it as high, medium and low stakes but the problem was some of the big players hadn't played the previous month so when they played they absoloutly creamed the league and gave the target group no chance.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Yes, but sky have attempted to level the playing field for players that earn similar amounts each month by offering double point weekends.

+1 to sky for the new promotion, great way to offer good promotions for all players, especially when only a limited amount of players were able to play enough for Januarys promotion.

• edited February 2015
    If u get 20k in points u get in all 3 freeroll's right?
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : Yes, but sky have attempted to level the playing field for players that earn similar amounts each month by offering double point weekends. +1 to sky for the new promotion, great way to offer good promotions for all players, especially when only a limited amount of players were able to play enough for Januarys promotion.
    Posted by TheUKSpoon
    I'm not at all knocking the promotion. I am grateful for everyone they do and its the reason this is my main site. I may only benefit from a few but its still good to have them.

And yes the double points is great and I will be grinding hard on those days but my point is for points based promotions it needs to be averaged over at least three to give a fairer reflection and make it harder for multi-account users to prosper. 
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Yes, as far as im aware thats correct.
  • edited February 2015
    Please god change the structure of the tournaments. Most players can't be bothered to play deep stack free rolls. But when there are significant prizes relevent to the the number of likely entrants, that consensus varies dramatically.

Ivan has somewhat of a point in terms of the longer qualifying periods. Yet I believe he fails to completely grasp the agile and fast changing nature of the online poker industry. 

Oh and Aussie, your modern family avatar made my day 
  • edited February 2015
    Please god change the structure of the tournaments. Most players can't be bothered to play deep stack free rolls. But when there are significant prizes relevent to the the number of likely entrants, that consensus varies dramatically. Ivan has somewhat of a point in terms of the longer qualifying periods. Yet I believe he fails to completely grasp the agile and fast changing nature of the online poker industry.  Oh and Aussie, your modern family avatar made my day 
    Posted by patwalshh
    Big +1 from me.
  • edited February 2015
    another +1 standard ME structure would be nice
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : Big +1 from me.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Another +1 ... not asking for anything major, just slightly longer blinds and maybe a 5k starting stack would be nice?
  • edited February 2015
    Positives about the promotion - great for micro and recreational players. Negatives about the promotion - There will be plenty of reg (mid-higher stakes) players that didn't put in much volume in January and will be able to smash this promotion without having to "Up their game" - and then there are players like myself that put in a ton of volume last month and have little chance at this promotion since I already upped my game last month!! I just think for future promotion ideas where a players previous month points total matters it needs rethinking because players can gain a big edge by "not being loyal" to sky and switching between sites and only returning when these sort of promotions come up to take full advantage of them. One idea would be to base it on 3 month totals & to equate points tally to stake level.  Anyway, positives seem to outweigh the negatives and overall a good promotion!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Doesn't really matter though does it. This promo is not aimed for high volume regs. The 3 MTT's on offer are essentially £11 comps with 2500 runners lol. I'd be surprised if those that raked high would be that bothered. Always the Big 11 :P. All in all though great promo for recs.
  • edited February 2015
    Positives about the promotion - great for micro and recreational players. Negatives about the promotion - There will be plenty of reg (mid-higher stakes) players that didn't put in much volume in January and will be able to smash this promotion without having to "Up their game" - and then there are players like myself that put in a ton of volume last month and have little chance at this promotion since I already upped my game last month!! I just think for future promotion ideas where a players previous month points total matters it needs rethinking because players can gain a big edge by "not being loyal" to sky and switching between sites and only returning when these sort of promotions come up to take full advantage of them. One idea would be to base it on 3 month totals & to equate points tally to stake level.  Anyway, positives seem to outweigh the negatives and overall a good promotion!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Doesn't really matter though does it. This promo is not aimed for high volume regs. The 3 MTT's on offer are essentially £11 comps with 2500 runners lol. I'd be surprised if those that raked high would be that bothered. Always the Big 11 :P. All in all though great promo for recs.
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Correct

Thanks,
    Justin
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : Doesn't really matter though does it. This promo is not aimed for high volume regs. The 3 MTT's on offer are essentially £11 comps with 2500 runners lol. I'd be surprised if those that raked high would be that bothered. Always the Big 11 :P. All in all though great promo for recs.
    Posted by RyanC7
    Yeah, later on in this thread I mentioned the same thing and said for this promotion it doesn't really matter! Just on about past promotions (and future promotions) where sky use last months points as a way of determining the promotion.
  • edited February 2015
    Please god change the structure of the tournaments. Most players can't be bothered to play deep stack free rolls. But when there are significant prizes relevent to the the number of likely entrants, that consensus varies dramatically. Ivan has somewhat of a point in terms of the longer qualifying periods. Yet I believe he fails to completely grasp the agile and fast changing nature of the online poker industry.  Oh and Aussie, your modern family avatar made my day 
    Posted by patwalshh

yes pat, makes me smile too.

the best line is when the principal of the college asks if he is intereted in becoming the coach of their US football team.

cam responds, "do i get to wear shorts?"
    the principal says, "yes, you'll get a whistle too."
    cameron says, "i always get a whistle when i wear shorts."

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Up Your Game : yes pat, makes me smile too. the best line is when the principal of the college asks if he is intereted in becoming the coach of their US football team. cam responds, "do i get to wear shorts?" the principal says, "yes, you'll get a whistle too." cameron says, "i always get a whistle when i wear shorts."  
    Posted by aussie09
    You have to love Cam! Did you know that IRL he isn't actually homosexual? I was creasing up at the somewhat new episode of Hayley's 21st birthday!