You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sitting out

2»

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Firstly as others have said there is nothing wrong with any player sitting out at any stage of a tournament, that is their perogative.

I do disagree that players on Sky are able to sit back in, if they are quick enough to after seeing their hole cards, as I don't beleive that this happens on others sites nor in live play (I stand to be correct tho on this).

However I can also understand Hogan's view especially with regards to MTT's, it can be darn annoying to be sat at a table of players who are all away.

As an example, you are playing a deep stack slow blind structure tourny, you have three times the average stack in chips, and the other 5 players at your table are away. By the time those players are beginning to be knocked out, your stack is now a quarter of the average stack count. In addition those active players who are then moved to your table have vastly increased chip stacks in comparison to yourself, thus you find yourself moving from what was a comfortable position, to be put under pressure , where you may then be forced to go all in with a non premium hand, through no fault of your own.

You've not been blinded away as such, you've not had a run in with a bigger hand, nor been outdrawn in a larger pot, but you find yourself a massive short stack in comparision to the remainder of the players , only due to the fact of the inactivity at your table.

It happened to me, and it was frustrating. I got a top 20 cash place, and thus I was happy enough, as I am only an average player, however if anyone asked me what I learnt from that game, then I would say nothing. If  there had been action at my table I may have gone out a lot earlier and not made any cash, but I would have a history of hands from which I could learn from.

However I also have to say that this situation is a rare thing on Sky, especially if its a fee paying tourny, and I would say the problem in relation to MTT's is mainly restricted to freerolls, where people have registered and then just forgot to play. It is also usually only a problem early on in a tourny, so whilst on occasions it can be very annoying for someone who classes himself as only an average player, who wants to play poker and not just rely upon shoving shortstacked (which has occured outside of the players control) in the hope of being lucky and moving up the money ladder, I can at least be thankful in saying its not a situation that has happened often enough for me to get on my high horse.

As fro STT/DYM's if peopel want to sit out then that is up to then, I just don't want them to be able to sit back in and play the current hand if they wish to, I'd prefer that once cards are dealt any players sat out, cannot become active until that hand has finished.

There you go, Ive been offline for a while due to Christmas, so I need to make up for my absence with extra long posts ;)

Aski (col) :)
  • edited January 2010
    There was a sentence here that I definitely disagree with, but I'll be flopped if I am going to read it all again to find which one it was

welcome back aski
  • edited January 2010
    lol cheers nutter

Im impressed you only disagree with one sentence though, I find I normally disagree with most things I write :)

Aski (col) :)

Ps was it the sentence whereby I said I was an average player, was I building myself up too much by chance ;)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Sitting out:
    Firstly as others have said there is nothing wrong with any player sitting out at any stage of a tournament, that is their perogative. I do disagree that players on Sky are able to sit back in, if they are quick enough to after seeing their hole cards, as I don't beleive that this happens on others sites nor in live play (I stand to be correct tho on this). However I can also understand Hogan's view especially with regards to MTT's, it can be darn annoying to be sat at a table of players who are all away. As an example, you are playing a deep stack slow blind structure tourny, you have three times the average stack in chips, and the other 5 players at your table are away. By the time those players are beginning to be knocked out, your stack is now a quarter of the average stack count. In addition those active players who are then moved to your table have vastly increased chip stacks in comparison to yourself, thus you find yourself moving from what was a comfortable position, to be put under pressure , where you may then be forced to go all in with a non premium hand, through no fault of your own. You've not been blinded away as such, you've not had a run in with a bigger hand, nor been outdrawn in a larger pot, but you find yourself a massive short stack in comparision to the remainder of the players , only due to the fact of the inactivity at your table. It happened to me, and it was frustrating. I got a top 20 cash place, and thus I was happy enough, as I am only an average player, however if anyone asked me what I learnt from that game, then I would say nothing. If  there had been action at my table I may have gone out a lot earlier and not made any cash, but I would have a history of hands from which I could learn from. However I also have to say that this situation is a rare thing on Sky, especially if its a fee paying tourny, and I would say the problem in relation to MTT's is mainly restricted to freerolls, where people have registered and then just forgot to play. It is also usually only a problem early on in a tourny, so whilst on occasions it can be very annoying for someone who classes himself as only an average player, who wants to play poker and not just rely upon shoving shortstacked (which has occured outside of the players control) in the hope of being lucky and moving up the money ladder, I can at least be thankful in saying its not a situation that has happened often enough for me to get on my high horse. As fro STT/DYM's if peopel want to sit out then that is up to then, I just don't want them to be able to sit back in and play the current hand if they wish to, I'd prefer that once cards are dealt any players sat out, cannot become active until that hand has finished. There you go, Ive been offline for a while due to Christmas, so I need to make up for my absence with extra long posts ;) Aski (col) :)
    Posted by Aski
    +1 ..wish you were my ghost writer mr aski...lol
  • edited May 2016
    To Aski, stealing the blinds every single hand you would NEVER be outrun by the average stack, infact you'd be storming away