You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Plo question

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat
If u was dealt AAAA and silly enough to go all in with it what odds would would u be vs a random hand obv u be massive underdog just wanna know what odds u would be

Comments

• edited March 2015
    It depends if an ace flops
  • edited March 2015
    not neccesarily a massive dog.

against 4 cards distantly connected of different suits you are a 55% favourite (55.46%) to be precise IE aaaa vs kc9h5s2d

against a very good playable hand which you would be likely to get it in against IE 10s js qd kd you would be just 1.22% dog

against 6789 double suited you would be a 8.09% dog.

so in most situations it would not be awful if you could get it all in pre.... but the hand would obviously play terrible everytime you had to take a flop

hope that helps

• edited March 2015
    I dont think you would be a massive underdog to any hand.
  • edited March 2015
    thanks guys i just thought u would be a massive dog as u can never improve and a pair win on omaha rarely happens
  • edited March 2015
    lol gerard if that happens sky poker would be rigged :)
  • edited March 2015
    Against a completely random hand you are still a small favourite (51.82%)... as Itsover4u said the worse you can be is a 42% dog vs 9876ds. 

4 of a kind isn't as bad as people make out - it can have some benefits, especially multi-way if you can get in for relatively cheap with a reasonable SPR behind The 4 of a kind should preferably be at least as high as 9's since it does actually have some post-flop playability in the way of blocking the nuts. As an example - the flop comes QJTr and you hold KKKK or AAAA. Nobody can have the nuts on this board and with no flush draws out there the only draw worth continuing with on this board is QQ and maybe JJ. TT is too risky cause even when you hit a FH with a Q or J your FH won't be the nuts.

So as long as you are playing against players capable of folding then you can play these boards aggressively and look to 3 barrel on lots of blank runouts - even a back door flush runout is OK since we block strong FD's too.

The lower down we go with our quads though, the less valuable they become. 9999 on QT8 blocks the current nuts but an A, K or J in addition to the Q, T or 8 will change the current nuts. If the board has a FD on, it's even worse. Also, there are just less nut straights that lower quads can block (and when they do block them, there's more possibility of higher straight redraws). 9999 can still have value on 765, 876, T87, T86 though.
  • edited March 2015
    good reply f ivanovic u play far much more plo to me
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Plo question:
    thanks guys i just thought u would be a massive dog as u can never improve and a pair win on omaha rarely happens
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

that logic is based on the hands that showdown. usually only higher strength hands are shown down.

If you were to run a million hand sim single hand pair would win more than any other
  • edited March 2015
    Lots say it is! Might happen in a home game though! haha

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Plo question : that logic is based on the hands that showdown. usually only higher strength hands are shown down. If you were to run a million hand sim single hand pair would win more than any other
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Surely that depends on how the opponents play v the naked aces?

I'm taking a flop with co-ordinated hands, & re-assessing then.

Is A-A-A-A man then potting the flop irrespective of what I do on the flop? If he is, we will pick him off.

I'm assuming we are talking PLO, not NLO, of course.

Even if I know Villain has Aces, there are a lot of hands I will call to take a flop with, & then re-assess. 

Hard to carry on barrelling with A-A-A-A if we see an all one suit flop, a paired board, or (something like) 8-9-10 & someone bets into us, or even check-raises us.

In "real-life" I think A-A-A-A man goes skint pretty quickly, though I can't prove it. 

Interesting thread.

Think I'd sit all day v someone who potted hands like A-A-A-A. I'd probably go busto in the process, mind. ;)

EDIT - all this assumes we start the hand with full stacks (say, 100 Bigs), & are not getting it in pre.
  • edited March 2015
    yeah absoloutley you would just pick someone off.

I was just talking hypothetically if a game was all in every hand and player x had aaaa and player y had 4 random cards and you simmed a million times player x would come out a winner
  • edited March 2015
    nice reply tikay im talking about all in preflop would u call with 4 random cards vs some 1 with aaaa all the time ? or is this gambling to u would u rather just play the game each street because u fell u have an edge
  • edited March 2015
    Also, in a non-hypothetical world Tikay, we can't know our opponent has AAAA! So when we get bet into on a KQJr/QJTr/KJTr it's hard to continue on these boards without the nuts or top/maybe middle set :)

Ive played a lot of PLO but have yet to see quads as my starting hand, so unfortunately haven't had the chance yet to try out any of these blocker bluffs :)

• edited March 2015
    nice reply tikay im talking about all in preflop would u call with 4 random cards vs some 1 with aaaa all the time ? or is this gambling to u would u rather just play the game each street because u fell u have an edge
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Thanks Steve.

I think the replies  by "itsoverforu" were excellent & thought provoking, but it worries me that players fairly new to PLO will take them at face value, without thinking them through carefully.
    A-A-A-A is BAD, whatever way you loook at it.

The key to the problem is in your question....

"...talking about all in preflop....."

This is PLO - we are not getting it all-in pre-flop. We CANNOT get it all-in pre-flop. Skilful opponents will not allow us to get it all-in pre in PLO.  

IN PLO, it's customary for it to be raised pre by someone, & then 2 or 3 players come along to see the flop. Good players in PLO always want to take a flop. If we have good aces, we can barrel all the way, yes, but against 2 or more opponents, good luck trying that.

PLO & NLH are different games. If a player, pre-flop, turns his hand face up on the Table & says "look, I have aces", we are still taking a flop with a certain range of hands. 

In PLO, we want to play poker, see flops, try to exert our (supposed) skill edge. It is not NLH where we can just blast it all-in pre & bully people off hands.

A-A-A-A is really bad, imo.  

• edited March 2015
    yeah absoloutley you would just pick someone off. I was just talking hypothetically if a game was all in every hand and player x had aaaa and player y had 4 random cards and you simmed a million times player x would come out a winner
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Understood Sir.

It assumes, of course, that you can get it heads-up pre-flop, & that villain has 4 random cards. Which, in practice, ain't gonna happen very often.

• edited March 2015
    Also, in a non-hypothetical world Tikay, we can't know our opponent has AAAA! So when we get bet into on a KQJr/QJTr/KJTr it's hard to continue on these boards without the nuts or top/maybe middle set :) Ive played a lot of PLO but have yet to see quads as my starting hand, so unfortunately haven't had the chance yet to try out any of these blocker bluffs :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Lol Tennis Bloke, let me know when you plan to try it, & I'll reserve a seat at your table.

"....So when we get bet into on a KQJr/QJTr/KJTr it's hard to continue on these boards without the nuts or top/maybe middle set :) ....."

Again, that's not how it works, is it?

If you had A-A-A-A you'd need nerves of steel to pot on those flops, because they hit our opponents set & 2 pair ranges so hard.

We don't just need the nuts to continue, or top set - we can also do so with a really good wrap, or superwrap.

I was playing "Live" PLO cash last week, & played the biggest PLO cash pot of my life by getting it all in on the flop via a raise/re-raise jobbie.  At the time, I had no (playable) pair, no set, no straight, no flush. (I did have some nuts, but they shrunk when I got it all in with 9 high.....).

Interesting thread, but we must be careful to give inexperienced players sensible advice. IMO, of course.

Wish we had more PLO or PLO8 threads, debates & discussions, I really do.

Great thread.

PS - well done in last night's Roller. 3rd for over £2,000? Very nice.
  • edited March 2015
    Great replys tikay,4 aces dealt to me unless its heads up trying to get it allin but multiway im folding hating most flops.
  • edited March 2015
    Great replys tikay,4 aces dealt to me unless its heads up trying to get it allin but multiway im folding hating most flops.
    Posted by CHILLIE
    Thanks chillie, who is (one of) Sky Poker's most polite players, wishes everyone well before EVERY game.

What would you do on the flop (unless you hit your set) if you raised pre with bad aces (no suits, no rundown) & got called multi-way?

The answer is obvious, of course, but I'm really keen to spread the PLO word to attract new players, but as most of them will migrate from NLH (we hope), they do need to grasp how different PLO is.

• edited March 2015
    Yes, but if I hold QJ98 on QJTr I'm not comfortable putting in any more than 1 medium sized bet in, and I would hope you weren't either? You can't hold a wrap on any of them boards I mentioned since the nuts is already out there. If you go putting in money with this hand you are going to be losing a lot of money when 90% of the time someone shows you AK and you are drawing to 4 outs (Q and J)

Even if I hold QQ on QJTr I'm not comfortable putting in lots of money. I can call a bet on the flop but have to fold to a chunky sized bet on the turn because I won't be getting odds to call if it's only HU and if I do hit, it's pretty transparent on a board where drawing to a FH is the only draw.

In Omaha, drawing to nuts is key but in all of these boards you can't draw to the nuts when you don't hold an A (as AAAA man has all 4 of them) 

I actually saw a graph recently of someone and how they had done with quads and they were in profit - not by a lot, and sample size was small. But it's playable for blocker value IF you can get in cheap and multi-way and IF your opponents are good & capable of folding. If not, then bin it. Quads come up so rarely tho (and more to the point the playable quads - A/K/J/T. Qs and 9s are less playable and 8's and below are virtually unplayable.) that it's not going to really affect your w/r at all whether you choose to play them or not.

3 of a kind is arguably much worse - you shouldn't play any 3 of a kind except Aces and even then you should only play them if you can get in cheap multi-way or you can get them HU in position/3 way at most. So I might open them in CO but I'm folding them in HJ or UTG. Plus 3 of a kind comes up a lot more often, so you're making a terrible mistake if you regularly play hands like KKK5, QQQJ etc.

And thanks! Was nice to get a result in the roller after a good while of no-results there!

• edited March 2015
    Yes, but if I hold QJ98 on QJTr I'm not comfortable putting in any more than 1 medium sized bet in, and I would hope you weren't either? You can't hold a wrap on any of them boards I mentioned since the nuts is already out there. If you go putting in money with this hand you are going to be losing a lot of money when 90% of the time someone shows you AK and you are drawing to 4 outs (Q and J) Even if I hold QQ on QJTr I'm not comfortable putting in lots of money. I can call a bet on the flop but have to fold to a chunky sized bet on the turn because I won't be getting odds to call if it's only HU and if I do hit, it's pretty transparent on a board where drawing to a FH is the only draw. In Omaha, drawing to nuts is key but in all of these boards you can't draw to the nuts when you don't hold an A (as AAAA man has all 4 of them)  I actually saw a graph recently of someone and how they had done with quads and they were in profit - not by a lot, and sample size was small. But it's playable for blocker value IF you can get in cheap and multi-way and IF your opponents are good & capable of folding. If not, then bin it. Quads come up so rarely tho (and more to the point the playable quads - A/K/J/T. Qs and 9s are less playable and 8's and below are virtually unplayable.) that it's not going to really affect your w/r at all whether you choose to play them or not. 3 of a kind is arguably much worse - you shouldn't play any 3 of a kind except Aces and even then you should only play them if you can get in cheap multi-way or you can get them HU in position/3 way at most. So I might open them in CO but I'm folding them in HJ or UTG. Plus 3 of a kind comes up a lot more often, so you're making a terrible mistake if you regularly play hands like KKK5, QQQJ etc. And thanks! Was nice to get a result in the roller after a good while of no-results there!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    A lot if "ifs" there Tennis Bloke, & let's be realistic, how often are we going to be up against four aces in one hand? What are the odds of being dealt 4 of a kind, that in itself must be astronomical? So it won't be in my thinking too often, tbh.

The same logic, incidentally, applies to 10-10-10-10, but more so, as it blocks all straights at BOTH ends. The 10 is an extremely important card in PLO. If we want to play a big pot on a Broadway board, or a middling rundown, we need a 10 in our hand, ideally.  

And in PLO8, the same could be said of 5-5-5-5.

And, for reference, I almost NEVER enter any PLO8 pot without an Ace in my hand. I got roundly chastised by Mr Play Every Hand for being too nitty last night, as I never played a hand in one game for 5 orbits. 

For bants, I did try the 10-10-10-10 trick in PLO once, hoping for a broadway flop, & it worked. Never had the nerve to try it again though.

I also did the bare ace trick for a £1,000+ pot in a PLO Cash Game at DTD last week, on a one-suit flop, which worked - eventually (he called my flop pot, but dwell folded top set when I fired the turn), but I nearly had a heart attack, so that'll go back in the "DO NOT USE" file for a while now.

Interesting thread, but newbies to PLO need to tread warily before they start thinking quad aces are playable.

Starting hand ranges are absolutely key in profitable PLO, & newbies should just bin that sort of hand.
  • edited March 2015
    haha yes my post had a lot of if's :)

I'm not sure I get your point of "how often are we going to be up against four aces?" Our opponent doen't know we have quad aces and isn't even worried about quad aces on a QJT if he holds QJ98! Our opponent is worried about AK of which there are many combos of and of which in a multi-way pot it's very likely that at least 1 person is holding AK.

Overall though quads aren't going to be that profitable, you are correct - and newbies should just bin them. But like you said, it happens so rarely, that it's not really going to damage a newbie's w/r if he decides to play quad aces. If he knows how to play them, great. If he doesn't, then is most likely making huge errors in other aspects of his game. For example, going broke with AAxx on a J97 board. 

Bare quad trick works better too if you have a tight image, so the tighter you play the more playable they become! That's probably why you got away with it ;) I imagine I would have been found out with my cookie in the jar on at least one of them occasions hehe.
  • edited March 2015
    haha yes my post had a lot of if's :) I'm not sure I get your point of "how often are we going to be up against four aces?" Our opponent doen't know we have quad aces and isn't even worried about quad aces on a QJT if he holds QJ98! Our opponent is worried about AK of which there are many combos of and of which in a multi-way pot it's very likely that at least 1 person is holding AK. Overall though quads aren't going to be that profitable, you are correct - and newbies should just bin them. But like you said, it happens so rarely, that it's not really going to damage a newbie's w/r if he decides to play quad aces. If he knows how to play them, great. If he doesn't, then is most likely making huge errors in other aspects of his game. For example, going broke with AAxx on a J97 board.  Bare quad trick works better too if you have a tight image, so the tighter you play the more playable they become! That's probably why you got away with it ;) I imagine I would have been found out with my cookie in the jar on at least one of them occasions hehe.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    If a newbie thinks quads aces are good, he'll soon be lost to PLO. That is the point, imo.

Starting hand ranges in PLO are far more sensitive than in NLH.  Play good starting hand ranges, & we are halfway there.

• edited March 2015
    I think if u have aaaa post flop u will win alot more then if 2 all ins preflop as ivanovic has said if it comes down 10 j q u can bet hard on this and barrel on turn and river knowing u have blockers and opponent aint got the nuts ofc so u can bet jim of with ya blockers any high card flop if u have aaaa u can bet big and win with blockers
  • edited March 2015
    I think if u have aaaa post flop u will win alot more then if 2 all ins preflop as ivanovic has said if it comes down 10 j q u can bet hard on this and barrel on turn and river knowing u have blockers and opponent aint got the nuts ofc so u can bet jim of with ya blockers any high card flop if u have aaaa u can bet big and win with blockers
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    ...and if it comes down, say, 7-8-9 rainbow, which hits all the good middling rundowns?
  • edited March 2015
    well u obv dnt c bet :p
  • edited March 2015
    high cards i mean 10 and above :)
  • edited March 2015

I know exactly what you mean, Steve, I just don't think we should be even discussing the notion on a Forum where we are trying to attract - & keep - new players to PLO.

I don't know how often you are going to be dealt A-A-A-A, (what are the odds, anyone know?) but good luck if you think you can get 2 or 3 folds pre & on a random flop.

• edited March 2015
    tbh i ndidnt think i would get this response as most people ignore my posts ha but some good replys glad i brought up the question as i got dealt 3 aces in 1 hand so i thought id come up with a question
  • edited March 2015
    tbh i ndidnt think i would get this response as most people ignore my posts ha but some good replys glad i brought up the question as i got dealt 3 aces in 1 hand so i thought id come up with a question
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Ah ha - 3 Aces .... different story.

It depends how big your dangler is :-))
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Three aces is an entirely different situation, & generally has more equity. I'd still mostly bin it though, I want GOOD STARTING HAND RANGES before I enter a PLO pot.  

Ignore your posts? Not guilty, if I'm asked a question, or a topic is raised where I think I can assist, I always reply.