You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Plo question

2»

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Plo question:
    I know exactly what you mean, Steve, I just don't think we should be even discussing the notion on a Forum where we are trying to attract - & keep - new players to PLO. I don't know how often you are going to be dealt A-A-A-A, (what are the odds, anyone know?) but good luck if you think you can get 2 or 3 folds pre & on a random flop.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Most of the people that visit forum aren't newbies though and the newbies that are reading should know by now based on the discussion that it's not a hand we should be playing (again, it's more important that they know to not play 3 of a kind since that happens way more frequently) - But to people that aren't newbies to PLO,it's a fun discussion to talk about quads and if there's some profitability in playing them based on their blocker value :)

Probability of being dealt quads is 1 in 20,825. Quad aces would be 13 times that, so 1 in 280k or thereabouts. 

We actually prefer it to go multi-way too, 4 way is probably ideal. HU especially isn't really great because blocker value goes down a lot - people are less likely to fold a flush in a HU pot than in a 4/5 way pot and people aren't going to fold a non-nut straight HU whereas they would 4 way. If we have more than 4 in the pot then sets are more inclined to continue because they get much better odds on hitting their FH when 3/4 way as opposed to HU. Also, with say 6 in the pot and assuming a pre-flop raise of POT, then the pot size OTF will be 21BB's and with 100bb stacks that's an SPR of just 5 meaning there won't be enough streets to get someone to fold a set (and the added value in the pot again means they get better odds) - so we need to be much deeper stacked (near 200bb) for us to get value in this case.

Going back to original qn and GII pre - you mentioned that good players like to see flops in PLO, but 3 and 4-betting is as much a part of the game as Holdem. If I hold QJT9ds I am almost always 3-betting it. AAAA man could then if he wanted to get enough money in pre. But it's almost never going to be good cause we are at best flipping if it goes HU but if anyone else gets involved and we go 3 or even 4 way we are just going to be in horrible shape. 
  • edited March 2015

".....But it's almost never going to be good cause we are at best flipping if it goes HU but if anyone else gets involved and we go 3 or even 4 way we are just going to be in horrible shape....."

THIS.

So if that 280,000/1 or thereabouts situation arises, we know what to do........