You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

8pm, 9pm and 10.30pm - Bounty Hunter Chip Stack and Late Registration Changes

2»

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: 8pm, 9pm and 10.30pm - Bounty Hunter Chip Stack and Late Registration Changes:
    I generally like change but my initial thought on the extra chips is that it is bad. I'm more concerned with the apparent loss of the 22:15 £22 BH which I went to late reg for at 22:40ish but it was not there!  Is the list of othher changes?
    Posted by SoLack
    My guess is replaced by the Sky Sports £22 BH @22:00 for tonight only for the live show.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: 8pm, 9pm and 10.30pm - Bounty Hunter Chip Stack and Late Registration Changes:
    I think on most other sites if you are paying £33 you would expect to start with more than 2000 chips sometimes change is good just have to get used to it 
    Posted by kopite1984
    You can start with a million chips if you want! It's about both starting stack and structure.
  • edited April 2015
    I generally like change but my initial thought on the extra chips is that it is bad. I'm more concerned with the apparent loss of the 22:15 £22 BH which I went to late reg for at 22:40ish but it was not there!  Is the list of othher changes?
    Posted by SoLack
    Morning Paul.

As Matt replied, it was changed on this occasion for the Live Show, & I assume it will revert to normal timings on non-Show nights.

In my personal opinion, I think ALL changes should be communicated in advance, perhaps via a locked "Ch-Ch-Changes" type thread. (Players could start threads to discuss & give feedback). This was a bit of a late notice one-off, to be fair.

Apologies if it inconvenienced you.     

• edited April 2015

Morning all

Just to add a little to what has already been said...

Firstly, this is a trial. It will 'live or die' based on how popular they are and on the balance of feedback. We know it’s close to impossible to satisfy 100% of players but we try to do the best for the majority. If this proves unpopular we'll revert or try something else until we hit the best solution for all.

Secondly, we are constantly trying to improve Sky Poker and, in order to improve, we need to make changes that cannot be helped. If we never made changes, we'd never progress. Also, we don't just make uniformed changes to things like this, they are done for a reason and more often than not, it is because of player demand. It's simply not in both our interests to do things that don't work.

This change is genuinely is no exception. You've probably seen many comments on the forum about starting stacks. But also, we've had numerous other requests to us saying that, rightly or wrongly, paying £33 (or whatever) and only getting 2,000 chips is 'not good value'. This is, in part, a trial on a few games to tackle that perception.

Finally, as many of you have rightly pointed out, there is a balance to be made. So what are the things we are trying to balance? The main things are:

1) Value for money

2) A fun but playable structure

3) A reasonable finish time (ideally not long after midnight)

On the final point - as many of you will know, there is no fixed time that a particular tournament ends and there are many factors that can affect it, some which we control, others which are affected by player numbers and how the tournament pans out. We have obviously a lot of experience in this area and Peter has put that into action. However, nothing beats running these a few times to see how it pans out.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to feedback, we'll both see how it goes.

Have a good day.

Thanks

Sky Poker

• edited April 2015
    I dont see why your adjusting structures to mtts that already do well on the site, I personally like the changes the to the structues as its going to favour the regs but I really think you should be foccusing on getting antes in play, also I think the gtees will drop as the recs wont play a comp until 2/3am in the morning.
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the feedback sky poker
    pleased to see finish time is on your radar
    and hopefully you appreciate how important that is for some of us

• edited April 2015
    just an idea that will probably get shot down but....
    If what you think players want is more chips have more tornys with deeperstacks as well as the popular B/H s(as they were before),maybe twice a week or so....
    I know there could be problems with guarantees from a business perspective but surely then you will know!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: 8pm, 9pm and 10.30pm - Bounty Hunter Chip Stack and Late Registration Changes : No offence but this is a pretty terrible idea imo. I think the main event structures are ok (or at least I've got used to them) but if anything needs changing it's to give more play in the later stages when it matters. All this change is gonna do is  mean everyone is really deep for a few more levels in the early stages so they can fold for a bit longer, I suspect it's gonna make vv little difference to stack depths at the business end of the comp. Reducing the number of blind levels would only make this problem even worse, the thing that'll increase play towards the end is adding in smaller blind jumps towards the end, so instead of jumping from 200/400 to 300/600, then 400/800 (I don't know if this is the case atm, just giving an example) it goes something like 200/400, 250/500, 300/600, 350/700, 400/800 etc. As I say, I think they're ok as they are and this change with make little to no difference but if one change is made to blind levels it was to be more/smaller incremetal blind increases rather than less. If someone has an old and new BH main structure to hand, it'd be handy cos I'd like to do a comparison of how many BBs the starting stack (and estimate of avg stack) will equate to at various stages of the comp.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Imo this is the key adjustment needed.
  • edited April 2015

Thanks for the reply Tony - glad it was only temp.

Finish times
    If I run deep in the main I don't mind a bit of a late finish - the reward of a ft makes it worthwhile but I think a ft by 1am shd be the aim.  I am a recreational player and get up between 6 and 7 most days. 

H4H
    While there are changes in the air can mention the one thing that regularly bugs me and that is H4H for a min cash in most of the tournements on Sky is fairly pointless  as numerous people still slow play seemingly unaware of the H4H.  This slows the whole tournament down.  The ft h4h is also pretty pointless imo as the difference between 6th and 7th is minimal, the tables are unbalanced anyway with 3 v 4 but more bearable because the two short stacked tables petty much get a move.  The H4H system is vital in satellites and shd be retained for the higher buy-ins (£66 or £110?) but in tournaments like the mini they are just an irritation.

• edited April 2015
    I agree with most of the comments, although I wasn't even aware the main started with 2k chips, I thought it was 3k! Shows how much attention I pay. I think 5k is a little too much. At the end of the day these appeal to recs/gamblers because they have more chance of getting some return by taking bounties. It's going to be a lot harder for them to take a 5k stack off opponents who are better than them and they will soon lose their money quicker.

As we have all come to understand, you need to give the recs/losing players as much chance as possible while still keeping it a skill game. It's a fine balance and I think such a heavy starting stack tips it slightly too much in the favour of the winning players who will continue to play anyway.

I don't play the other tournaments mentioned so I can't comment on them.

The mini should be the same as the main, as that was always the intention, so if you change the main you should change the mini IMO.
  • edited April 2015
    I agree with most of the comments, although I wasn't even aware the main started with 2k chips, I thought it was 3k! Shows how much attention I pay. I think 5k is a little too much. At the end of the day these appeal to recs/gamblers because they have more chance of getting some return by taking bounties. It's going to be a lot harder for them to take a 5k stack off opponents who are better than them and they will soon lose their money quicker. As we have all come to understand, you need to give the recs/losing players as much chance as possible while still keeping it a skill game. It's a fine balance and I think such a heavy starting stack tips it slightly too much in the favour of the winning players who will continue to play anyway. I don't play the other tournaments mentioned so I can't comment on them. The mini should be the same as the main, as that was always the intention, so if you change the main you should change the mini IMO.
    Posted by FlashFlush

why do i get a high pitched voice in my head imploring me with these words?

• edited April 2015
    Thanks for the reply Tony - glad it was only temp. Finish times If I run deep in the main I don't mind a bit of a late finish - the reward of a ft makes it worthwhile but I think a ft by 1am shd be the aim.  I am a recreational player and get up between 6 and 7 most days.  H4H While there are changes in the air can mention the one thing that regularly bugs me and that is H4H for a min cash in most of the tournements on Sky is fairly pointless  as numerous people still slow play seemingly unaware of the H4H.  This slows the whole tournament down.   The ft h4h is also pretty pointless imo as the difference between 6 th and 7 th is minimal, the tables are unbalanced anyway with 3 v 4 but more bearable because the two short stacked tables petty much get a move.   The H4H system is vital in satellites and shd be retained for the higher buy-ins (£66 or £110?) but in tournaments like the mini they are just an irritation.
    Posted by SoLack
    All fair points, Paul, but there was a lot of grumbling when Sky Poker never had H4H, wehich, as it happens, was not that long ago. 

Generally, good MTT-ers don't worry too much about H4H, they are not interested in laddering, they play to win. And yes, people either don't understand H4H, or deliberately try to wind the clock down. Poker players always try to find that little edge.

Personally, I never thought lack of H4H was a big problem. If on a 6 Max site we get 7 handed 1,000 times, chances are it will be split close to 500-500, so it makes no odds in the long term. The grumbling usually arose when someone on the 3 hander bust in 7th.

It's a bit like the Antes thing - Sky Poker should have them, yes, but it's not really that big a deal, (it's the same for everyone, thats the main thing), but people latch on to what the big players say, & echo it. In reality, of course, Antes mean the better players win more, quicker, & the less good players lose more, because Antes benefit better players most. There should be Antes in appropriate MTT's, yes, but it's not the big deal some suggest, imo.

VBOL in UKOPS, Paul, hope you run good.  

• edited April 2015

Now the dust has settled a little bit, I just want to add my two cents worth.

During the 861 discussions, I repeatedly said that it's new broom time at Sky Poker, & they have been given the green light to invest more resource to make this site better. A better site is good for both sides of the table.

So they will be trying to do a lot of different things, fiffing, faffing, tweaking, changing.

They will NOT get them all right first time - 7 out of 10 would be a good ratio, so 3 out of 10 might go wrong.  

But they WANT the constructive feedback that players can give. In answer to little Matt Bates, Sky Peter said this....

"....We expect that these changes will have little effect on play time these although could increase it by up to 30 minutes. We will be keeping a close eye on it this Thursday for the following weeks and will amend it if neccessary....."

Note "and will amend if necessary".

And they WILL amend if necessary.

They are trying things, that's good. If they get it wrong, they will change it. Good constructive feedback is exactly what they need & want, so keep it coming please. So if these chip changes to the BH's don't work, they will modify as necessary, until they get the right balance. They will.

It very much reminds me of when Amaya took over Pokerstars, the whole poker world was up in arms. And yet Amaya have just reported an influx of new players, & better numbers. Change does not have to be bad, & we need to embrace it, not fear it.

There is much room for improvement at Sky Poker, we all know that. Time to get things moving. Lots of other ideas are in gestation, & will be rolled out over time. The constructive feedback from players is a vital element of that process. They will maybe get a few things wrong, but at least they are trying, & can change back if need be. I think thats a good thing.     

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: 8pm, 9pm and 10.30pm - Bounty Hunter Chip Stack and Late Registration Changes : why do i get a high pitched voice in my head imploring me with these words?  
    Posted by aussie09
    His legacy lives on. :)
  • edited April 2015
    I don't often play the £55 9pm BH, but I wish I could play it more as it's such a good tournament. I have to admit, I'm surprised they have tampered with that as it seemed perfectly fine to me and many others.
  • edited April 2015
    The  changes to the 8pm seemed to work well last night.  Originally i thought the jump from 2k-5k was too much but it did play nicely and didn't seem to affect play too much bar the first few levels where players aren't as busting out as quickly. So yeah a positive change there from me.

I think the 9pm should go back to the old struture.  It's a very 'regular' heavy comp and I can't see how the extra chips will entice new players to it.  If you want to increase the runners then try some extra sats.  The changes seems to make it play worse.  Forgot to play the 10.30 speed last night but as its a turbo I can't see how it can affect the play too much.

I'd like to see a £55 standard freezeout version once or twice a week too just for variety.  It would also be nice if Sky could introduce some rebuy Bounty Hunters.  The £5k £110 Thursday roller was one of the best comps of the week, and while the weather means that its unlikley to hit that guarantee, I'd like to see this return for a trial period in a few months. Maybe £3kGTD to see the inital response.

The Wednesday rebuy is the best structure comp on the site so that doesn't need anything changing.....well maybe increase the addon size to 5k so you have a little bit more play post addon period.

I also think that the Turbo Open should potentially be a single rebuy once you have lost all of your chips and no addon.  When I originally suggested the Turbo Open to you guys it was to conincide with the Tuesday show and offer some good content/teleshopping points.  Now that isn't a concern I think some small tweaks to this main is potentially possible.  Make sure it finishes around 11.30-12 tho as that is the main attraction to most of the regular players of this comp.

• edited April 2015
    The  changes to the 8pm seemed to work well last night.  Originally i thought the jump from 2k-5k was too much but it did play nicely and didn't seem to affect play too much bar the first few levels where players aren't as busting out as quickly. So yeah a positive change there from me. I think the 9pm should go back to the old struture.  It's a very 'regular' heavy comp and I can't see how the extra chips will entice new players to it.  If you want to increase the runners then try some extra sats.  The changes seems to make it play worse.  Forgot to play the 10.30 speed last night but as its a turbo I can't see how it can affect the play too much. I'd like to see a £55 standard freezeout version once or twice a week too just for variety.  It would also be nice if Sky could introduce some rebuy Bounty Hunters.  The £5k £110 Thursday roller was one of the best comps of the week, and while the weather means that its unlikley to hit that guarantee, I'd like to see this return for a trial period in a few months. Maybe £3kGTD to see the inital response. The Wednesday rebuy is the best structure comp on the site so that doesn't need anything changing.....well maybe increase the addon size to 5k so you have a little bit more play post addon period. I also think that the Turbo Open should potentially be a single rebuy once you have lost all of your chips and no addon.  When I originally suggested the Turbo Open to you guys it was to conincide with the Tuesday show and offer some good content/teleshopping points.  Now that isn't a concern I think some small tweaks to this main is potentially possible.  Make sure it finishes around 11.30-12 tho as that is the main attraction to most of the regular players of this comp.
    Posted by scotty77

+1

Does anybody know what time the 8pm main event finished last night?
  • edited April 2015
    Hi all

I played the £33 main last night and it was down to last 15 at about 00:30 where average stack was about 30BB still and was a lot of play left.

My constructive feedback is the extra stack def enticed me in as a rec to play ( despite others saying would play the same and jumping on band wagon) it does play different as business end ( I know this from watching the show not being in myself often)

As a rec would I play the Thursday one again? Maybe not unless off on the Friday. I had work today and bed was on my mind from 00:00 and didn't enjoy  as felt time pressure. 

Would your average mon-Fri rec play a Friday or sat 5k starting that I guess finished around the 01:30 mark? Yeah def! The 400+ runners proves the demand is there! Maybe once it is given a go over the next two weeks a few tweaks to structure etc can be made.

Amazing how quickly most (including myself) judged it blind but now all gone quiet? 

Come on sky community - or is the silence a sign it has worked and we can not moan ;) 
  • edited April 2015
    I have not mentioned the changes to the main as I thought they could be improved upon and there has only been last nights to judge on but as Scotty said the 9pm BH didn't need improving and I believe the changes definitely haven't improved it.
  • edited April 2015
    I think most people agree the changes to the main are good (although I've yet to play one!) - it's the changes to the £55MBI that has attracted the most criticism.
  • edited April 2015
    I never knew any MTTs ran after midnight, not any I have been involved in.
  • edited April 2015

I think the changes to the main would allow more play, my posts were on behalf of the silent recs. I am more than happy for more play and deeper structured MTTs on a purely selfish level. My concerns were that it would be bad for rec players who had work in the morning (where their family business wouldn't allow them to power nap during the day!) 

• edited April 2015
    I never knew any MTTs ran after midnight, not any I have been involved in.
    Posted by poncake

:-))
  • edited April 2015
    Hi all I played the £33 main last night and it was down to last 15 at about 00:30 where average stack was about 30BB still and was a lot of play left. My constructive feedback is the extra stack def enticed me in as a rec to play ( despite others saying would play the same and jumping on band wagon) it does play different as business end ( I know this from watching the show not being in myself often) As a rec would I play the Thursday one again? Maybe not unless off on the Friday. I had work today and bed was on my mind from 00:00 and didn't enjoy  as felt time pressure.  Would your average mon-Fri rec play a Friday or sat 5k starting that I guess finished around the 01:30 mark? Yeah def! The 400+ runners proves the demand is there! Maybe once it is given a go over the next two weeks a few tweaks to structure etc can be made. Amazing how quickly most (including myself) judged it blind but now all gone quiet?  Come on sky community - or is the silence a sign it has worked and we can not moan ;) 
    Posted by Nuggy962
    It needs to be given some time. A number of people (myself included) were saying the changes would be bad for recs but good for themselves so after giving my view its down to sky to look at the numbers over a decent sample size and work out what is best for the site. From the numerous regs I have spoken to no one likes the changes to the £55's but time will tell as to whether the changes are kept and whether people vote with their £!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: 8pm, 9pm and 10.30pm - Bounty Hunter Chip Stack and Late Registration Changes : It needs to be given some time. A number of people (myself included) were saying the changes would be bad for recs but good for themselves so after giving my view its down to sky to look at the numbers over a decent sample size and work out what is best for the site. From the numerous regs I have spoken to no one likes the changes to the £55's but time will tell as to whether the changes are kept and whether people vote with their £!
    Posted by MattBates
    Totally agree!