You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Teams - Moving forward

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
I posted this in the Team Talk thread but then I thought it might get a more balanced response here...

I fear that recent events have greatly strengthened the case against teams.

How as a community do we move forward?

Should we keep teams?

Should we keep team events?

If so do we need to make any changes to how team events are run to ensure complete fairness and integrity?

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Yes and Yes.

What more can us DTD admins do to stop collusion though?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward:
    Yes and Yes. What more can us DTD admins do to stop collusion though?
    Posted by Matt237
    I'm not sure you can - and certainly the admins have done nothing wrong (and the grief that some received this week was disgraceful imo)

I don't think you can end teams as such, people will always have some sort of poker group with or without Sky.

And the only 'team' event is DTD... which I could understand if 'new' Sky scrapped as a response to recent events, but hope it can continue to run in the spirit which 99.9% adhere to.

I suppose the only way to avoid team collusion entirely would be to run it as a series of SNG games /> MTT, then making it that only one from each team can be on any one table (as I understand the majority of live team games operate)... but that'd massively reduce the chatbox banter and likely make the event way less fun for all involved.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Teams - Moving forward:
    I posted this in the Team Talk thread but then I thought it might get a more balanced response here... I fear that recent events have greatly strengthened the case against teams. How as a community do we move forward? Should we keep teams? Should we keep team events? If so do we need to make any changes to how team events are run to ensure complete fairness and integrity?
    Posted by Phantom66
    one incident should not tarnish us all, plus it's been dealt with now and show's anyone thinking of the same actions not to bother :)
  • edited April 2015
    Stopping teams isn't going to change anything. The moment the  whole team thing started and it created more inter action between players it opened the door to people using it to collude and now there's no closing the door. That's not to say its unique to sky collusion can occur on any site but sky is more vulnerable to it because of all that goes on between players via facebook, Skype etc...

Sky can now only deal with it when it becomes obvious. The community was and is a great idea but there will always be those who take advantage of it. Bottom line is there is no way of stopping it now but that said sky really need to get a better grip on it because they way they let this last case run in full public view is a PR disaster....
  • edited April 2015

It's the individual that's the problem, not the teams.

• edited April 2015
    We can't allow two colluders and one lynch mob destroy what we have here at SkyPoker, can we? 

Teams aren't the reason for collusion. That's due to lack of ethics or idiocy. And in the modern world we seem to get more of both. Skypoker needs to continue to improve its detection systems and examples need to be made of offenders. 

single table poker is much more at risk from collusion than mtts so getting rid of teams does little to improve the situation. So let's not be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. 

The colluders and the lynch mob are both examples of people working in concert to achieve their aims at the expense of anyone else. The team concept is an example of people working together to have fun together and with other teams' members. It should be purely additive to the skypoker experience. 

All we need to do is find a way to get rid of colluders and of lynch mobs. 
  • edited April 2015
    Gelders - you speak a lot of sense, sir.
  • edited April 2015
    It's the individual that's the problem, not the teams.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I presume you meant to say individuals, plural, as it has been pointed out on many forums that it is difficult to collude with oneself.

Unless of course you are referring to the initiator of this particular incident, not the one who had spent many years playing enjoyable social poker within this community?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward : I presume you meant to say individuals, plural, as it has been pointed out on many forums that it is difficult to collude with oneself. Unless of course you are referring to the initiator of this particular incident, not the one who had spent many years playing enjoyable social poker within this community?
    Posted by bbMike
    I'm not actually referring to anyone in particular. Hence why I just said 'individual'. Poker is an individual pursuit, if someone wants to bend the rules then the problem is the individual, and not the team.

If I was to collude, then its not my team that's the problem, it would clearly be me.
  • edited April 2015
    Ok thanks for the clarification hhy.
  • edited April 2015
    One person can collude with 2 ids. And I know of someone that has two ids and have reported it to sky yet they are still using the two ids!! Mind you they dont use both at the same table but its still against the rules to have 2 ids.

And no Im not talking about Tikay1 and Tikay10 ;).

Ger
  • edited April 2015
    All we need to do is find a way to get rid of colluders and of lynch mobs. 
    Posted by GELDY
    I have been away and have missed so much.  Let's see if I have got the gist of it... A Hitman from Hull was taken out by a poker lynch mob? I wonder who's next? Sounds scary.
  • edited April 2015

Just to clear things up from a FORUM DTD point of veiw

FORUM DTD is for individuals (always has been) & the prizes that sky poker kindly donate (every week) are for individuals nothing whatsoever to do with DTD Team League which is run seperately by Jono. Me and my admins run it every week the team element came after which added more fun & banter on the rail.

Michael

• edited April 2015
    No offence to the op but lets move on by ending constant threads referring to the collusion by only two members of sky poker,tbh its getting a bit tiring now.so imo lets just move on and let sky deal with the issues,the cumminity is still strong always has and always will even with afew hiccups along the way.
  • edited April 2015
    it,ll be a sad day if the monday night DTD is ever stopped,sad day :(
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward : I have been away and have missed so much.  Let's see if I have got the gist of it... A Hitman from Hull was taken out by a poker lynch mob? I wonder who's next? Sounds scary.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    that would be funny if it wasn't so sad :-(
    welcome back :-)

• edited April 2015
    We can't allow two colluders and one lynch mob destroy what we have here at SkyPoker, can we?  Teams aren't the reason for collusion. That's due to lack of ethics or idiocy. And in the modern world we seem to get more of both. Skypoker needs to continue to improve its detection systems and examples need to be made of offenders.  single table poker is much more at risk from collusion than mtts so getting rid of teams does little to improve the situation. So let's not be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  The colluders and the lynch mob are both examples of people working in concert to achieve their aims at the expense of anyone else. The team concept is an example of people working together to have fun together and with other teams' members. It should be purely additive to the skypoker experience.  All we need to do is find a way to get rid of colluders and of lynch mobs. 
    Posted by GELDY

as far as I could see, it was just a few people wanting a fair outcome, it happened. 

words like those highlighted ^ just shows your lack of understanding.

• edited April 2015
    Just to make it clear. If I raise, I have got AA.
  • edited April 2015
    Just to make it clear. If I raise, I have got AA.
    Posted by Eyeman

and if you shove you have 2/3o :)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward : as far as I could see, it was just a few people wanting a fair outcome, it happened.  words like those highlighted ^ just shows your lack of understanding.
    Posted by samantha25
    pls don't disappoint me Sam 
    that is a very naive comment
    sure the lynch mob all want blood
    doesn't mean to say in a court of law that would be the outcome
    and I'm sure there are people who think a life ban is an excessive punishment for being an idiot
    and I'm sure you've been an idiot in your life as much as I've been
    doesn't mean to say it would have been fair for us to have been locked away for life
    that's the problem with the lynch mob mentality
    they believe they are the only arbitres of truth and fairness
    whereas they are just as bigoted as the rest of us
    hence the need for an independent adjudicator
    ie skypoker 

the lynch mob is used to pervert the course of justice
    by intimidating the authorities to do what they want
    as against what is right
    and fair

ps I'm not disagreeing with the verdict
    just highlighting how just because there is a lynch mob
    it doesn't mean their view is correct

• edited April 2015
    so many things I want to say to that, but alas... I'm on a warning ;)
  • edited April 2015
    so many things I want to say to that, but alas... I'm on a warning ;)
    Posted by samantha25
    probably best for us both
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward : pls don't disappoint me Sam  that is a very naive comment sure the lynch mob all want blood doesn't mean to say in a court of law that would be the outcome and I'm sure there are people who think a life ban is an excessive punishment for being an idiot and I'm sure you've been an idiot in your life as much as I've been doesn't mean to say it would have been fair for us to have been locked away for life that's the problem with the lynch mob mentality they believe they are the only arbitres of truth and fairness whereas they are just as bigoted as the rest of us hence the need for an independent adjudicator ie skypoker  the lynch mob is used to pervert the course of justice by intimidating the authorities to do what they want as against what is right and fair ps I'm not disagreeing with the verdict just highlighting how just because there is a lynch mob it doesn't mean their view is correct
    Posted by GELDY

geldy,

your argument here relies upon one falsehood.  that is, banned for being an idiot.

instead, grasp that the lifetime ban is for something else.

then you could rewrite your post and be more balanced in your review.

• edited April 2015
    and yes Geldy, I have been stupid... infact very stupid at times. 

and guess what, i've paid for my mistakes... maybe not sent to jail by the lynch mob - but there again we ain't talking about a lifetime jail sentence here are we? so why the blood/jail talk.

maybe a better term is banned from the library for not returning your books ;)

or banned from the local boozer for being too loud/drunk.

or maybe you like to dramatise things Geldy dear x

*yes I realise drama from my mouth is rich ;)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward : geldy, your argument here relies upon one falsehood.  that is, banned for being an idiot. instead, grasp that the lifetime ban is for something else. then you could rewrite your post and be more balanced in your review.  
    Posted by aussie09
    but i'm not making an arguement for the correct penalty
    i'm just stating that there are various views
    the lynch mobs on one hand
    the being an idiot on another
    and a myriad in between
    but just because people have their views
    doesn't mean they are right
    and by definition
    they cannot all be right
    just because one view is very vocal 
    it doesn't make it right
    that's why we need skypoker to adjudicate
    and not work on the basis that the loudest guy necessarily wins
    although sometimes they will be correct
    and sometimes not

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Teams - Moving forward : but i'm not making an arguement for the correct penalty i'm just stating that there are various views the lynch mobs on one hand the being an idiot on another and a myriad in between but just because people have their views doesn't mean they are right and by definition they cannot all be right just because one view is very vocal  it doesn't make it right that's why we need skypoker to adudicate and not work on the basis that the loudest guy wins
    Posted by GELDY

exactly, it's time for you to be quiet, isn't it?

• edited April 2015
    tbh that argument is BS gelders, as the "one" on trial had more support than the "lynch mob".
  • edited April 2015
    Sam, I will take the blame for being the first one to use the term lynch mob, so don't take it out on Gelders. He was just picking up the phrase from one of my posts. It was a somewhat inflammatory word used at a somewhat tense time.

Let it ride, sister ;)

We're all friends again.
  • edited April 2015
    Let's just say it for what it was collusion! however big or small, or t i t for tat arguments led up to this point, its just dragged the whole forum down to its lowest level that I have witnessed in reading it for many years.
    So many people trying to get one up on each other, why not do the talking on the tables.
  • edited April 2015
    Sam, I will take the blame for being the first one to use the term lynch mob , so don't take it out on Gelders. He was just picking up the phrase from one of my posts. It was a somewhat inflammatory word used at a somewhat tense time. Let it ride, sister ;) We're all friends again.
    Posted by Slipwater

Mite have known you'd have something to do with it Slippy! :)

Gelders will always be my friend, you howeva ;)