You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

On the Bench

Comments

• edited May 2016
    I'm tempted to stream Monday's DYM, but I know it can be quite difficult to make it interesting. The established players do okay, as they usually have a lot of chatbox content to comment on (plus their wealth of poker experience).
    There is a guy I watch, who I think is from Denmark. He plays around $100 a session (Yes, I know he's not on Sky, but we all have our flaws) so he is either doing okay or is the prince of Denmark.
    His poker skills can be described as okay (IMHO). He tends to only have around four viewers (says Mr global brand). There's not much chat and not much insight.
    However, I find that watching him I can see where things are going wrong, as opposed to assuming the pros do everything right. He relies too much on winning flips for my liking and no amount of crossing his fingers is giving him any +EV.
    However, I also enjoy the bad beat swearing (a man after my own heart) and the fact that he always pronounces my name wrong.
    What he also does, which is one of streamings problems, is making up reasons for his actions. When I've streamed before, I've felt that I should play hands in a certain way for fear of getting lambasted. I never limp when streaming, but do so quite regular under normal conditions. Naturally, I understand the pros and cons of limping and feel if I can justify it, then I should do it. Yet, the fear of that baying crowd (usually of 1) interrupts my usual style of play.

Nevertheless, I'll probably stream it anyway. Especially now I've made it clear that limping is a viable strategy.

Oh yes, there was the other problem. Content. I'll have to work on that. Not sure whether to go with poker, comedy or life story.

Bench
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: On the Bench:
    I'm tempted to stream Monday's DYM, but I know it can be quite difficult to make it interesting. The established players do okay, as they usually have a lot of chatbox content to comment on (plus their wealth of poker experience). There is a guy I watch, who I think is from Denmark. He plays around $100 a session (Yes, I know he's not on Sky, but we all have our flaws) so he is either doing okay or is the prince of Denmark. His poker skills can be described as okay (IMHO). He tends to only have around four viewers (says Mr global brand). There's not much chat and not much insight. However, I find that watching him I can see where things are going wrong, as opposed to assuming the pros do everything right. He relies too much on winning flips for my liking and no amount of crossing his fingers is giving him any +EV. However, I also enjoy the bad beat swearing (a man after my own heart) and the fact that he always pronounces my name wrong. What he also does, which is one of streamings problems, is making up reasons for his actions. When I've streamed before, I've felt that I should play hands in a certain way for fear of getting lambasted. I never limp when streaming, but do so quite regular under normal conditions. Naturally, I understand the pros and cons of limping and feel if I can justify it, then I should do it. Yet, the fear of that baying crowd (usually of 1) interrupts my usual style of play. Nevertheless, I'll probably stream it anyway. Especially now I've made it clear that limping is a viable strategy. Oh yes, there was the other problem. Content. I'll have to work on that. Not sure whether to go with poker, comedy or life story. Bench
    Posted by Benchmark
    All of the above lol 
  • edited May 2016
    Okayyyy.... So I've been trying to sort out my twitching problems. I've added some more RAM, to take me to 8GB. However, it turns out that the front panel of my PC is actually boll...not working within specified parameters. That's the earphone, mic, SD card reader and two USB ports. I've unplugged it from the motherboard and increased my USB ports by attaching a Wii Sing USB hub to the back. After my rebuke from BGT, I no longer need it.
    I played a small amount of poker yesterday, to try and resolve these issues, prior to these changes, and got my backside kicked. Felt like quitting poker, as you do. That was yesterday.
    Modified my PC this morning, and used a 30p sit n go to test it out. All very unprofessional. I didn't say much and was eating a packet of quavers and drinking tea at the time. Still, it seemed to work. Played the game in my own fishy way and have uploaded it to youtube. Not a great video, expecting it to go striaght to DVD. Or maybe used as a trailer for the new Star Wars movie, to lower cinemagoers expectations? Sound is a bit ropey too, but audible.

Oh, here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNGfk87lWE
  • edited May 2016
    Been having some trouble with my connection when playing Sky Poker, using Firefox. Switched to Chrome and it certainly hasn't cut me off yet.

Played a 30p sit n go this morning, to test a new mic for my pending Twitch streaming. It didn't go too well. The sound or the poker. Fortunately, the swearing has been obscured too. Anyways, I've made a clip of the final stages....

• edited July 2016
    This isn't a post about poker. This is a post about sadness.

There will be no Benchmark twitching.

I opened the box, to check on schrodinger's cat and found out it was dead.

I'm not dead. I'm not even dying. Nor is anyone I know.

On the 22nd June, it was my 20th wedding anniversary. My wife posted her love on facebook, for the world to see.

Three weeks later, she told me she was leaving.

Four days after that she left.

• edited July 2016
    This isn't a post about poker. This is a post about sadness. There will be no Benchmark twitching. I opened the box, to check on schrodinger's cat and found out it was dead. I'm not dead. I'm not even dying. Nor is anyone I know. On the 22nd June, it was my 20th wedding anniversary. My wife posted her love on facebook, for the world to see. Three weeks later, she told me she was leaving. Four days after that she left.
    Posted by Benchmark
    Really sorry to hear this. How are you coping? 
    Give up the poker, be the man she loved when you met, win her back.
    I wish you well.
  • edited July 2016

hi john,

at some stage you will realise that schrodinger had several boxes and many cats. 

every box opened may be closed again and cats have nine lives. 

in the future, that cat in that box will be alive and well.

good luck man.  breathe.  in time, you will see your cat.

best regards
    rob

• edited July 2016
    This isn't a post about poker. This is a post about sadness. There will be no Benchmark twitching. I opened the box, to check on schrodinger's cat and found out it was dead. I'm not dead. I'm not even dying. Nor is anyone I know. On the 22nd June, it was my 20th wedding anniversary. My wife posted her love on facebook, for the world to see. Three weeks later, she told me she was leaving. Four days after that she left.
    Posted by Benchmark

Sorry to hear this. A friend of mine had the same thing a few years ago. He was distraught, but decided to get on with his life. Fast forward to now and he is engaged to a lovely girl 20 years his junior and they have a one year old son (he always wanted more kids but his ex didn't). He is as happy as Larry now and with hindsight says that the split was the best thing that has ever happened to him. I hope everything works out for you.
  • edited July 2016
    Just to fill in a bit of background. I'm 49. My wife is 46. She has left me for a co-worker at Tesco, who is in his early sixties. She's left me with our two children (thankfully). Junior is 18, but suffers from Asperger's. This manifests itself as an inability to communicate socially. He rarely leaves the house and spends all day in his bedroom. We have a number of support people working with him, but resources are thin and progress is slow.
    Junioress is 15. She's tough as old boots. Neither of the kids want to see my wife, and haven't since she left. I've offered all parties free access.
    Initially, my wife indicated the kids could go with her. This was impossible, due to Junior's condition AND the fact she was moving to a 2 bedroomed bungalow. A detail she omitted to mention.
    At this moment, the chance of reconciliation is around 5%, and dropping daily.

We have full support from my own mum and mother-in-law.

We are financially sound, and could survive a divorce.

On the downside, I loved her with all my heart and now she's gone.

• edited July 2016
    Ignore my earlier post.
    Look after yourself and the young ones.
    Stick with the poker.
    Look around for any of her belongings, take them in garden, burn them.
    New start, new life.
  • edited July 2016
    I'm burning all the Ann Summers stuff. He's not having that.
  • edited July 2016
    Posted by Benchmark
    :) That's the spirit, keep your pec.ker up....
  • edited July 2016
    you are going to be all over the place in the next few weeks. It's like going through a bereavement but the person's still alive. Anger, depression etc etc. Hear if you need an ear. I not only send dust I'm an agony aunt too lol
  • edited July 2016
    Posted by Benchmark
    As long as you are sure that you are not going to wear them anymore........for what it is worth.......went through a broadly similar situation 21 years ago, when I had a 5 month old daughter and feared that she would grow not knowing who I was. Met the woman of my dreams 12 years ago and daughter and I are still close. You sound to me like the sort of man who will come back from this.....good luck fella

• edited July 2016
    Great track.

I'm quite a pragmatic person. I'll just keep doing what needs to be done. Eventually, I'll find myself again.
  • edited July 2016
    You have an amazing way of making people laugh,please dont stop.I really hope life gets better,it will in time
    (linear or not). I would love it ,really love it as Kevin used to say if Sky had you as a guest on their show one night.
    Great that the kids support you,your ex is the the one missing out. Believe me ,you will survive ,speaking as one of the great unwashed who has been through the same thing.
    See you on the final table soon

• edited July 2016
    Thanks Steve. I was doing okay until Biggins was revealed as the first CBB housemate.

However, I did catch an audio clip from a Rocky movie, on a Sky TV ad last night.

'It's ain't about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done'.

Sky providing inspirational quotes to get me off my knees?

Sort it out Sky!!!
  • edited July 2016
    One day at a time and focus on the kids for now.

Hard to know what to say, 

Wish you well, either to win her back or to find the strength to move on.
  • edited August 2016
    Only just checking up on you, so sorry to hear the news about your wife x
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks for support.

I now genuinely believe it IS over. Doesn't make it much easier, but it does allow me to plan ahead. I'll be working on the financials this week. Poll Tax / Tax Credit / Gas / Electric / Phone, etc. To a certain degree, I may be slightly better off. Having a good solid financial base will help me to deal with the other 'stuff'.

Still plodding along.
  • edited August 2016
    Keep your head up fella. This song helped me a lot as I always imagined myself back on top of the world and dancing to this ON MY OWN at my daughter's wedding reception....probably says too much about me really..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POIIGYt5RlE .........it seems a long way from who I am now though.......
  • edited August 2016
    Still in one piece.
  • edited August 2016
    Glad to hear it. Keep going one step at a time.
  • edited August 2016
    Still in one piece.
    Posted by Benchmark
    how are things with you lad

• edited August 2016
    Still in one piece.

Have decided to give up hanging on and focus on myself and the kids instead.

Changed over all the bank stuff, so I'm financially secure.

Just need to remember what I talked about before.

Thanks for support.
  • edited August 2016
    Good for you benchy lad, 
    onwards and upwards glad your ok 
    Now keep posting your poker funny stuff, love it n

Regards Alan (don't post on your thread much, but always read it)
  • edited August 2016
    Much appreciated.

I'm now starting with a blank piece of paper, which I'll be filling with what I (and the kids) want to do.

Next year's UKPC at DTD is top of the pile. Although I'm not too sure how good Katie is at three-betting...
  • edited August 2016
    Much appreciated. I'm now starting with a blank piece of paper, which I'll be filling with what I (and the kids) want to do. Next year's UKPC at DTD is top of the pile. Although I'm not too sure how good Katie is at three-betting...
    Posted by Benchmark
    Daughters will 3 bet bluff you all day........