You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

* * * skypoker best player * * *

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat

this is intended to be something like the world ranking for tennis players or golfers.  very much like the pop charts that used to come out on radio one sunday evening (tuesday lunchtime for older people)

it cant be a look at daily performance as the results are too volatile.

i am deciding whether to include results from the past week, 4 weeks, month or year.

then decide how frequently to produce the charts; daily, weekly or monthly.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    <td class="xl65" style="border:medium none;ba

skypoker best players    

4 Weeks to 28 April 2015            

12,374 players in 682 tournaments            
    Charts for past 28 days with change since last report      
    points per game; 1st=10, 2nd=7, 3rd=5, FT=3, cash=1 point.      

Points played      score    1st 2nd 3rd FT cash
    1 up 1 kc8 345 220 8 7 5 36 54
    2 new   Wacko90 233 155 3 7 3 24 52
    3     chicknMelt 165 142 7 4 2 22 29
    4     GSmith13 250 140 4 5 4 18 48
    5 up 8 StayOrGo 196 132 7 2 2 20 31
    6 down 1 MattBates 230 106 2 4 3 18 34
    7 up 22 rspca12 149 105 4 6 1 14 23
    8 down 2 SoLack 224 104 3 2 2 18 35
    9 down 2 BigAz1 131 100   5 6 19 30
    10 new   metapro 196 92 3 2 3 14 29
    11 down 10 nslater112 209 90 2 3 4 16 24
    12 up 9 LmfaoAllin 187 87 3 2 2 14 26
    13 up 203 Trample 105 84 5 1 1 13 17
    14 down 2 jawzindawz 213 84 2 1 2 12 38
    15 up 240 cjy 43 83 6 1 2 11 11
    16 up 95 _DAC_ 188 82 4   3 12 24
    17 up 37 bearlyther 142 81 4 1 3 10 23
    18 down 7 ozzieowen 120 80 3 3 1 11 23
    19 up 13 wi03 147 79 2 3 3 10 27
    20 up 164 Summerjade 88 77 2 1 3 13 27
    21 new   mystyle03 108 72 3 1 1 13 19
    22 up 58 ctbn 112 68 2 4 1 10 16
    23 up 22 philrafs 107 65 1   2 14 26
    24 down 6 nnm83 163 62 3 1 3 9 13
    25 new   Kerrnal 138 61   4 2 11 19
    26 up 5 waller03 136 61   4   12 21
    27 up 28 petrocelli 148 60 2 2 1 9 18
    28 up 36 rabbit11 133 58 2 1 3 8 18
    29 up 172 heellloooo 59 57 3 2 1 7 12
    30 up 161 kapax 39 57 1 4 1 10 12
    31 down 6 Lambert180 129 57 1 2   10 22
    32 new   Jew1993 63 56 3 3   7 9
    33 up 83 Aek101 42 56 3 2 1 7 11
    34 up 12 BrayCorp83 91 56 2 2 1 9 14
    35 up 13 TEXANT 69 56 1 2 2 11 15
    36 new   GREGHOGG 110 56 1 1 5 10 15
    37 up 228 MilitantG 78 55 3 2   7 12
    38 new   Rumpy 73 55 2 2 1 8 15
    39 up 119 Limp2Lose 103 55 1 1 5 9 16
    40 down 16 Claytov 49 54 2 2 2 8
  • edited April 2015

the first column is position, clearly. 

the second and third columns show movement since last published.

• edited April 2015
    Hi Rob,

I have to say I admire the time and effort that you put in on this.  Being a microstakes player, I am never in your charts, but I enjoy reading who is doing what.

I'm sure the players who are playing at these levels find the information invaluable.

I will buy you a well deserved drink the next time we meet, and am sure I'll not be the only one.
  • edited April 2015

thanks craig.

ps. are you not supposed to be on a beach somewhere?

• edited April 2015

Does this not hide the quality of player beneath the volume of games played.

Just taking the top 3, is chicknmelt's 0.86pts / game arguably more impressive than kc8's 0.64pts/game?

It seems a bit odd that the 'best' player is likely to only be achieved by playing significantly more games than anyone else (possibly including a far greater proportion of the lower BI games that some of the others eschew in favour of playing higher BI games across multiple sites?)

Taking the comparison with tennis players, would this effectively be akin to awarding equal points to an unknown young up-and-comer that is playing every day they possibly can and ranking them higher than, say, Roger Federer who is more selective with his tournament selection but gets his results in 'higher BI games' against more challenging opponents.

Interesting stuff though... this must take you hours to do!!  Would love it if one day some sort of equivalent ranking could be applied to cash games (although accept the main barriers to this ever being possible!)

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: * * * skypoker best player * * *:
    Does this not hide the quality of player beneath the volume of games played. Just taking the top 3, is chicknmelt's 0.86pts / game arguably more impressive than kc8's 0.64pts/game? It seems a bit odd that the 'best' player is likely to only be achieved by playing significantly more games than anyone else (possibly including a far greater proportion of the lower BI games that some of the others eschew in favour of playing higher BI games across multiple sites?) Taking the comparison with tennis players, would this effectively be akin to awarding equal points to an unknown young up-and-comer that is playing every day they possibly can and ranking them higher than, say, Roger Federer who is more selective with his tournament selection but gets his results in 'higher BI games' against more challenging opponents. Interesting stuff though... this must take you hours to do!!  Would love it if one day some sort of equivalent ranking could be applied to cash games (although accept the main barriers to this ever being possible!)
    Posted by shakinaces
    hi shaky,

volume versus quality is always an issue.  i knew someone who claimed they were the best tennis player in the world but had never played.  i understood what he was saying but disagreed.  mind you the last game of golf i played was 15 years ago and i was 2 over par going down the 18th.  it went a bit wrong on that hole.  nevertheless, i still claim to be a good golfer and have no need to sit a test to prove it. 

so volume does come into it.  if roger federer decides not to play any ranking tournament over the next year i think that it is fair and right that he doesn't stay at the top of the rankings.  if a young pro enters a hundred tournaments i think he should get ranking points for whatever he achieves.

so i don't disagree with you.  we think the same.  its just that we should embrace these factors.  if you want to be seen as the best player how would you go about it.  i am happy no longer playing golf, but it hasnt put any  trophies on the mantelpiece in over a decade.

• edited April 2015

shaky,

you might know that i produce another table that shows ranking for points per gsme.

April 2015      

12,374 players in 682 tournaments      
    1,244 have played a minimum of 20 tournaments      
    points per game; 1st=10, 2nd=7, 3rd=5, FT=3, cash=1 point.

Points played    score    rate      

1 cjy 43 83 1.9      
    2 Ricovan 20 33 1.7      
    3 kapax 39 57 1.5      
    4 deawatts14 26 36 1.4      
    5 Aek101 42 56 1.3      
    6 gogsw 20 26 1.3      
    7 GREENIENO_ 32 39 1.2      
    8 cheesem318 21 24 1.1      
    9 Granite89 21 24 1.1      
    10 JOZY72 21 24 1.1      
    11 Bluffy666 46 51 1.1      
    12 Claytov 49 54 1.1      
    13 barber180 20 22 1.1      
    14 RATTY21 23 25 1.1      
    15 tallboy 23 24 1.0      
    16 jonnyrkd 47 49 1.0      
    17 Andyba 38 39 1.0      
    18 Lil_me 21 21 1.0      
    19 Zeedot 30 29 1.0      
    20 heellloooo 59 57 1.0      

• edited April 2015

and shaky,

you talk about lower stakes.  are the best players solely playing low stakes?  no.  furthermore, these results are from tournaments not including the smaller games

you talk about other sites.  this is not about best player in the world, or in pub leagues, or cash, this is about those who play significant size mtts on our site, who perform the best here.

• edited April 2015
    Wow great work but.........

It doesn't represent the whole story

You just can not compare a player who plays 20 mtt a day to someone who may only play 2 per day

Just saying

The results are very skewed
  • edited April 2015
    Wow great work but......... It doesn't represent the whole story You just can not compare a player who plays 20 mtt a day to someone who may only play 2 per day Just saying The results are very skewed
    Posted by rancid
    thanks rancid.

you're right.  there are several other tables for you to choose from.  e.g most wins etc.  mind you, you could argue against that one quite easily.  there's also profit, but you could argue against that too.  there's winning (returns) then there are the qualitative ones that look at strike rates.  all could be argued for and against.

that's why tables exist.  the premier league is a good example.

• edited April 2015
    and shaky, you talk about lower stakes.  are the best players soley playing low stakes?  no.
    No, but even the lowest professional tennis tournaments give some points and a way into the rankings for lower players.

What is the cutoff point anyway?

(regardless of the above, it is a fantastic piece of work)

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: * * * skypoker best player * * * : No, but even the lowest professional tennis tournaments give some points and a way into the rankings for lower players. What is the cutoff point anyway? (regardless of the above, it is a fantastic piece of work)
    Posted by FCHD

thanks fchd

the figures come from 20-30 mtts each day that have a guarantee of £500 and more.  these figures are for 12,374 players in 682 tournaments.  quite a good sample.

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: * * * skypoker best player * * * : thanks rancid. you're right.  there are several other tables for you to choose from.  e.g most wins etc.  mind you, you could argue against that one quite easily.  there's also profit, but you could argue against that too.  there's winning (returns) then there are the qualitative ones that look at strike rates.  all could be argued for and against. that's why tables exist.  the premier league is a good example.    
    Posted by aussie09
    :)

You could argue against anything 

Like why we're Chelsea celebrating a draw at Arsenal............pathetic
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: * * * skypoker best player * * * : :) You could argue against anything  Like why we're Chelsea celebrating a draw at Arsenal............pathetic
    Posted by rancid
    totally agree.

• edited April 2015

The contribution you make to this site and this forum are commendable.

No matter how you tweak these tables, they'll never be quite right to everyone. In my opinion, they are a little too weighted towards finishing 1st.
    To take an example from the points table above:
    Matt Bates made 18 final tables, won 2, had 4 seconds and 3 thirds. So he finished in the top half of the FT exactly 9 times out of 18. I guess his spread was roughly 3 fourth places, 3 fifth places and 3 sixth places as well!
    All of these finishes were probably as meritorous as each other as stacks are usually very shallow at the business end of a MTT; it would be hard to argue that Matt played better when he won than when he finished 3rd.

• edited April 2015

the significance of this table is that it is rolling.

elsewhere i have produced daily, monthly and yearly leagues.  now, for the first time i have something that shows form.  no longer a table of results from the first day of the month.  the benefit is that it shows a standard time frame, 4 weeks.  players will rise and fall as the days go by.  the table will show the best current player.

i like it because it can be news every day.

• edited April 2015
    Maybe just add the points per game value as an extra column.....
  • edited April 2015
    The contribution you make to this site and this forum are commendable. No matter how you tweak these tables, they'll never be quite right to everyone. In my opinion, they are a little too weighted towards finishing 1st. To take an example from the points table above: Matt Bates made 18 final tables, won 2, had 4 seconds and 3 thirds. So he finished in the top half of the FT exactly 9 times out of 18. I guess his spread was roughly 3 fourth places, 3 fifth places and 3 sixth places as well! All of these finishes were probably as meritorous as each other as stacks are usually very shallow at the business end of a MTT; it would be hard to argue that Matt played better when he won than when he finished 3rd.
    Posted by BigBluster
    thanks BB.

i like what you say.  the spread of points is the key to this.  endlessly debated too.  the 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 range is the best, imo and that's the scale that i use.  and as you infer, winning shouldn't skew the figures too much, equally, it shouldn't skew the figures too little.

jimmy hill was given a hard time with his idea of three points for a win.  i think rugby should change their points to 3 points for a try, 1 for a conversion and 1 for a kick through the posts.  there are many reasons for this.  the main thing is that the game is shaped by the points awarded.  rugby would become a more entertaining game.  just like football.

the game is decided first, the measurement system decided next to determine who is best.  once this is done, everyone gets on with playing the game. 

• edited April 2015
    Maybe just add the points per game value as an extra column.....
    Posted by Benchmark

hi bench,

the priority is ranking by points.  adding a column of analysis doesn't really help, and knowing that there is a limit of width on screen, the columns of data there already are preferred.

thanks for the suggestion. 

i refer the honourable gentleman to the alternative table i gave earlier.

• edited April 2015
    I enjoy reading all these tables, i think absorbing this kind of information can improve your game greatly overtime, i think eventually someone will come up with an exact formula which works for everyone but without trial and error that would never happen... i dont think a single table will ever truly show the "best player" purely because of variance i can look at that table and see there are players above me who i feel i have a big edge over, but i can also see people below me who would crush me in the long term, but in terms of recent form and hot streaks then its a great barometer of who is currently "in the zone" pokerwise....

Another thing which would come into things and probably wont ever be able to be factored in is, if someone multi-tables 16 mtts in one night and manages 2 wins and 4 cashes then that would be far better than someone who plays 1 mtt a night for 16 consecutive days and manages 2 wins and 4 cashes also.

good work Aussie
  • edited April 2015
    I enjoy reading all these tables, i think absorbing this kind of information can improve your game greatly overtime, i think eventually someone will come up with an exact formula which works for everyone but without trial and error that would never happen... i dont think a single table will ever truly show the "best player" purely because of variance i can look at that table and see there are players above me who i feel i have a big edge over, but i can also see people below me who would crush me in the long term, but in terms of recent form and hot streaks then its a great barometer of who is currently "in the zone" pokerwise.... Another thing which would come into things and probably wont ever be able to be factored in is, if someone multi-tables 16 mtts in one night and manages 2 wins and 4 cashes then that would be far better than someone who plays 1 mtt a night for 16 consecutive days and manages 2 wins and 4 cashes also. good work Aussie
    Posted by jordz16

thanks jordz.

i don't think that i am on the table.  i actually haven't checked.  my point was that i expect that i am not higher than you.  i will go and see.

• edited April 2015

argh, damn it.  i am 334th.

• edited April 2015
    I think this is a great idea, I'll look forward to checking where I am each week/ month. The point system works fine, the people who play more games are going to get more 1sts so deserve to be at the top.
    I think the biggest issue with the list is that someone who wins a tournament with a field of 25 players will get the same points as someone who wins a tournament with 500 players when the latter is far more impressive.
    That being said, Its just a fun list anyway and it isn't going to accurately show who's the best. Its nice that the people who do well can get some recognition.
  • edited April 2015
    Only 3 points behind Tommy with less than half as many games played... I'll take that ;)
  • edited April 2015
    I think this is a great idea, I'll look forward to checking where I am each week/ month. The point system works fine, the people who play more games are going to get more 1sts so deserve to be at the top. I think the biggest issue with the list is that someone who wins a tournament with a field of 25 players will get the same points as someone who wins a tournament with 500 players when the latter is far more impressive. That being said, Its just a fun list anyway and it isn't going to accurately show who's the best. Its nice that the people who do well can get some recognition.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    There does tend to be a rough correlation between buy in and field size so this evens it out a bit as the only games included have to have £500 guarantee but I do get your point. If you start ranking tournaments then that is subjective and would cause a new discussion point.
  • edited April 2015
    I think this is a great idea, I'll look forward to checking where I am each week/ month. The point system works fine, the people who play more games are going to get more 1sts so deserve to be at the top. I think the biggest issue with the list is that someone who wins a tournament with a field of 25 players will get the same points as someone who wins a tournament with 500 players when the latter is far more impressive. That being said, Its just a fun list anyway and it isn't going to accurately show who's the best. Its nice that the people who do well can get some recognition.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    thanks groggy,

coincidentally i just noticed your name on the list.  doing well.

your point about field size is important.  i see that too and my figures include a point for a cashing which is linked to field size.

it is fun.  that's what it is meant to be. 

cheers man and good luck.

• edited April 2015
    Only 3 points behind Tommy with less than half as many games played... I'll take that ;)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    i aspire to have half the points that he has. 

• edited April 2015

This table is good. It would also be good to occasionally see 1 that only tracked the 20:00/20:30 tournaments, as these could be viewed as Sky's "majors". Due to the larger fields in these, points are harder to earn....

Phil
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: * * * skypoker best player * * * : This table is good. It would also be good to occasionally see 1 that only tracked the 20:00/20:30 tournaments, as these could be viewed as Sky's "majors". Due to the larger fields in these, points are harder to earn.... Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

hi phil and thanks. 

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: * * * skypoker best player * * * : This table is good. It would also be good to occasionally see 1 that only tracked the 20:00/20:30 tournaments, as these could be viewed as Sky's "majors". Due to the larger fields in these, points are harder to earn.... Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    We did have that with Slipwaters table but he has now retired that table so maybe Aussie could add something in now Slip has let the site down....I mean unable to continue to do the table!