You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dissapointed with last nights show.

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
Last night was the first night I've seen the show on Sky Sports and have to say I was disappointed. The guests and Tikay were entertaining but, I expected hand analysis/coverage of the Turbo Open. What can we expect from the next few shows if/when the 100 challenge is finished?

Is it just me or do others want to see tournament coverage on the show?

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Have to agree, but the show is still in its infancy and I guess feedback like yours is welcomed and the show will be tweaked to maximise viewing figures and to encourage more traffic to the site, I'm still going to watch as tbh not much else on the box at that time!
  • edited April 2015
    Stuff like the 100 challenge is hugely entertaining for new players. where as indepth analysis of a hand in the open isn't and is probably pretty scary for a complete noobie who has very little previous experiance with poker. 

Id assume a similar format in the future. 
  • edited April 2015
    Think I might make a clip of my own which incorporates the content I'd like to see. It'll be quite low rent, but hey, it might give sky some ideas.

Bear with me on this. It's not a 5 minute job.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Dissapointed with last nights show.:
    Last night was the first night I've seen the show on Sky Sports and have to say I was disappointed. The guests and Tikay were entertaining but, I expected hand analysis/coverage of the Turbo Open. What can we expect from the next few shows if/when the 100 challenge is finished? Is it just me or do others want to see tournament coverage on the show?
    Posted by cowhead
    Thanks Mr Cow. I think. ;)

We had a long chat about that in the TV Office yesterday. We meet (the TV Team) before & after every Show to see what we could or should do better, add, or drop. The new format is still in it's infancy, & we are trying different things.

Whilst it's not my decision, & they have not 100% made a decision yet, it's more than likely that they will drop coverage of the late stages of Turbos on the Show for a while. Why? In truth, in a Turbo, you can't really do much by way of in depth analysis, because, by it's very nature, it is formulaic, like SNG's, in that almost every play is standard, & there's almost no play down the streets. It's shove or fold stuff.

We recognize, of course, that players like to see themselves on TV, but in truth, it does nothing, either way, for the numbers, & as a spectacle to view, it is not really great TV.

The Cash challenge, as it happens, seems to be very well received, on the whole, so far.

The feedback is appreciated, & the tweaks will continue, thank you.

PS - Did you actually play that Turbo event? 

PPS - howay the lads  
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show.:
    In Response to Dissapointed with last nights show. : Thanks Mr Cow. I think. ;) We had a long chat about that in the TV Office yesterday. We meet (the TV Team) before & after every Show to see what we could or should do better, add, or drop. The new format is still in it's infancy, & we are trying different things.   Whilst it's not my decision, & they have not 100% made a decision yet, it's more than likely that they will drop coverage of the late stages of Turbos on the Show for a while. Why? In truth, in a Turbo, you can't really do much by way of in depth analysis, because, by it's very nature, it is formulaic, like SNG's, in that almost every play is standard, & there's almost no play down the streets. It's shove or fold stuff.   We recognize, of course, that players like to see themselves on TV, but in truth, it does nothing, either way, for the numbers, & as a spectacle to view, it is not really great TV. The Cash challenge, as it happens, seems to be very well received, on the whole, so far.   The feedback is appreciated, & the tweaks will continue, thank you. PS - Did you actually play that Turbo event?  PPS - howay the lads   
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tony. 

I was hoping you might pop up with a reply.  Firstly, I have to say the 100 challenge was good viewing. Jamie, especially with his in depth thought processes when going through a hand etc. The thing I was dissapointed with was no coverage of the open. I have to be honest and say the only time I really watched 861 was when there was coverage of a tourny. You've made some valid points as to why it wasnt covered and I agree. I was just at a loss of what sort of content the show will have once the 100 challenge is over.

Personally, I do think viewing figures would be better if coverage is shown as you rightly say "players like to catch a glimpse of themselves when playing".

I didnt play last night and was just stating my personal opinion about the show as thats the sort of thing I like to see.

Hopefully the powers that be do show tourney footage in future.

Ps: It was great viewing watching you get all aggro in the challenge.
  • edited April 2015
    I'm really liking the challenge, think it works well. With the three competitors being lively (at least so far) and having a laugh, while the presenter tries to keep control, makes for an entertaining as well as educational show.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : Hi Tony.  I was hoping you might pop up with a reply.  Firstly, I have to say the 100 challenge was good viewing. Jamie, especially with his in depth thought processes when going through a hand etc. The thing I was dissapointed with was no coverage of the open. I have to be honest and say the only time I really watched 861 was when there was coverage of a tourny. You've made some valid points as to why it wasnt covered and I agree. I was just at a loss of what sort of content the show will have once the 100 challenge is over. Personally, I do think viewing figures would be better if coverage is shown as you rightly say "players like to catch a glimpse of themselves when playing". I didnt play last night and was just stating my personal opinion about the show as thats the sort of thing I like to see. Hopefully the powers that be do show tourney footage in future. Ps: It was great viewing watching you get all aggro in the challenge.
    Posted by cowhead
    You was hoping I would reply? Well when you spread a little ground bait on the water, a little fish is always likely to bite. (Describes me perfectly, I'd say).

Your feedback is much appreciated, really, & we shall see how the Show develops. We know players like to watch themselves on TV, but it's really not got much upside for the Business, in truth, it does not drive traffic to any significant degree. A £11 MTT with 500 runners generates £500 of margin. Now try to guess how much it costs to put a Show on air......

What will follow the £100 Challenge? Not sure yet, but we have a ton of ideas. Whether they are any good is another matter.....

You enjoyed me being all aggro? Ha! I was dreading doing that £100 Challenge. I've not played NLH Cash for 12 years or more, except on very rare occasion (last time was in Newcastle, when I somehow done a bag to Paul Jackson NTTP, sigh), it's not my thing, & the game has long left me behind. Never looked forward less to doing a Show, & I was extremely uncomfy, mentally all night, but, with the help of some nice cards, I managed to turn a profit, albeit small. (Sample size, variance etc). I hope they don't ask me to do it again, but if they do, I will.

Anyway, glad to see you are doing so well here, long may it last.

Has NPF closed down for good now? Shame, in a way, but independent poker forums are up against it these days, most of them are struggling. Times change, habits change.       
  • edited April 2015

Oh, I forgot to add - I completely agree as to Jamie Sykes - I thought he was just tremendous.

He was top rate, & very supportive & helpful of me once he realised my discomfort.

• edited April 2015
    I'm loving the challenge and the battle on TV with Tikay was good fun. I got 3 bet on the flop by his pocket eights and had to fold trips when he jammed the river on me. Well played Tikay and I do hope the show keeps up this entertainment and if they need any extra guests I'd happily appear ;) 

• edited April 2015
    It is with a heavy heart that I have to say that I am not mad keen on the new format.

I used to watch all 15 hours of the old format, most of it live while I was playing and the rest later.

Now, I find it takes me all week to watch the two hours.

Don't get me wrong, it is not bad. It just isn't as good. It is a bit like Top Gear for poker players. Three guys trying to outdo each other. A bit of an old fashioned format.

I enjoyed what I have seen so far of Tuesday's show and Jamie Sykes is a brilliant guest. I expect that the six - eight people that play on the 50NL tables that are used love it because they get the TV time & take advantage of the competitors that have to play in a straight jacket.

On the plus side, I have got a lot more hours in the day to do other things. So while I am playing less poker online now, I am a happier bunny in life.
  • edited April 2015
    It is with a heavy heart that I have to say that I am not mad keen on the new format. I used to watch all 15 hours of the old format, most of it live while I was playing and the rest later. Now, I find it takes me all week to watch the two hours. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad. It just isn't as good. It is a bit like Top Gear for poker players. Three guys trying to outdo each other. A bit of an old fashioned format. I enjoyed what I have seen so far of Tuesday's show and Jamie Sykes is a brilliant guest. I expect that the six - eight people that play on the 50NL tables that are used love it because they get the TV time & take advantage of the competitors that have to play in a straight jacket. On the plus side, I have got a lot more hours in the day to do other things. So while I am playing less poker online now, I am a happier bunny in life.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Winner!

Has to be good, imo.
  • edited April 2015
    I'm loving the challenge and the battle on TV with Tikay was good fun. I got 3 bet on the flop by his pocket eights and had to fold trips when he jammed the river on me. Well played Tikay and I do hope the show keeps up this entertainment and if they need any extra guests I'd happily appear ;) 
    Posted by JJJOHNSON
    Have to say, was immense fun, once I overcame my nerves. It really is intimidating in the Studio, knowing that any play might end up looking really daft in front of all the viewers.

The players know, too, that they can apply pressure, as we only get one bullet.

Loved playing against you, we kept tangling, not intentionally, but just how the cards fell. How you made that fold with three nines I'll never know - well done.

You typed "just made the worst fold ever", & I wanted to reply "No you did not, unless you had quads" as I had the nuts, but unforch, I did not seem able to type stuff into the chat box on the Studio I-pad, or type in bet sizes, so I had to use the pre-set buttons all the time. 

Great fun - after it had finished. Not so much before, or during, I was consumed with nerves, & fear of failure.  

• edited April 2015
    I enjoyed watching the 100 challenge the first time I saw it, the 2nd time was ok but I have to say that the third time I found it a bit samey and have not tuned in since.

So if I was watching the show as a one off id enjoy it but going forward I think the show needs something more, but I suppose its early days and I am looking forward to see how it develops.

Again not a complaint im just giving a bit of feedback.
  • edited April 2015

my feedback is there should be different opposition on the two tables.

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : You was hoping I would reply? Well when you spread a little ground bait on the water, a little fish is always likely to bite. (Describes me perfectly, I'd say).   Your feedback is much appreciated, really, & we shall see how the Show develops. We know players like to watch themselves on TV, but it's really not got much upside for the Business, in truth, it does not drive traffic to any significant degree. A £11 MTT with 500 runners generates £500 of margin. Now try to guess how much it costs to put a Show on air...... What will follow the £100 Challenge? Not sure yet, but we have a ton of ideas. Whether they are any good is another matter..... You enjoyed me being all aggro? Ha! I was dreading doing that £100 Challenge. I've not played NLH Cash for 12 years or more, except on very rare occasion (last time was in Newcastle, when I somehow done a bag to Paul Jackson NTTP, sigh), it's not my thing, & the game has long left me behind. Never looked forward less to doing a Show, & I was extremely uncomfy, mentally all night, but, with the help of some nice cards, I managed to turn a profit, albeit small. (Sample size, variance etc). I hope they don't ask me to do it again, but if they do, I will.   Anyway, glad to see you are doing so well here, long may it last. Has NPF closed down for good now? Shame, in a way, but independent poker forums are up against it these days, most of them are struggling. Times change, habits change.       
    Posted by Tikay10

Unfortunately the NPF closed its doors for good last year. Shame though as it was a great community to be part of and  I had some of the best laughs I can remember on there and at the events they put on but times change and, I for one, miss it immensely.

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : Unfortunately the NPF closed its doors for good last year. Shame though as it was a great community to be part of and  I had some of the best laughs I can remember on there and at the events they put on but times change and, I for one, miss it immensely.
    Posted by cowhead
    Yeah, it is a shame. I don't read too many poker Forums, but I generally had a look at that most weeks, some proper characters on it.  

I subscribe to some cracking "non-poker" Forums, mind, The Pylon Appreciation Society, PPRuNE, The Bird Forum, etc.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : Yeah, it is a shame. I don't read too many poker Forums, but I generally had a look at that most weeks, some proper characters on it.   I subscribe to some cracking "non-poker" Forums, mind, The Pylon Appreciation Society, PPRuNE, The Bird Forum, etc.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Are you winding me up? What is there to talk about pylons apart from being big, metal and electric? There you go, close forum. ;-)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : Are you winding me up? What is there to talk about pylons apart from being big, metal and electric? There you go, close forum. ;-)
    Posted by cowhead
    What? Do behave.

"It's simple: the Pylon Appreciation Society is a club for people who appreciate electricity pylons. Enthusiasts range from primary school children to retired engineers and include anyone who is interested or inspired by transmission towers.

As well as the wealth of information available through this site, if you choose to become a member there are other benefits including the field guide (pictured, being released in installments), messageboard, and other resources.

You will get a welcome pack with photo card, a "parts of the pylon" print, badge, and other items such as bookmarks, stickers and info card."

http://www.pylons.org/

http://www.pylons.org/exhibition/15x10towers/westham.shtml

When a man is tired of pylons, he is tired of life  (Samuel Johnson, 1709 - 1784)

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : What? Do behave. "It's simple: the Pylon Appreciation Society is a club for people who appreciate electricity pylons. Enthusiasts range from primary school children to retired engineers and include anyone who is interested or inspired by transmission towers. As well as the wealth of information available through this site, if you choose to become a member there are other benefits including the field guide (pictured, being released in installments), messageboard, and other resources. You will get a welcome pack with photo card, a "parts of the pylon" print, badge, and other items such as bookmarks, stickers and info card." http://www.pylons.org/ http://www.pylons.org/exhibition/15x10towers/westham.shtml When a man is tired of pylons, he is tired of life   (Samuel Johnson, 1709 - 1784)
    Posted by Tikay10

Where do you sign up?... I'm in!
  • edited May 2015
    I have to say, when I tuned into 861 to see they were spending the whole night covering a tournament I immediately switched back to the football! Its not good TV at all, like TK its all pretty standard and the chips to most people, on the screen, have no value.

I used to record all the Mastercash that was on TV because thats what I want to watch is cash.

The 100 challenge for what its worth I think is brilliant, it also inspires people to sit there and think I could spin a 100 up.. and its quite exciting to wonder if someone is going to run hot one show and get to like 900 squid lol!! Maybe when Rich has a go.

So i short lol, please dont bring tournament play back stick with the cash!!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : What? Do behave. "It's simple: the Pylon Appreciation Society is a club for people who appreciate electricity pylons. Enthusiasts range from primary school children to retired engineers and include anyone who is interested or inspired by transmission towers. As well as the wealth of information available through this site, if you choose to become a member there are other benefits including the field guide (pictured, being released in installments), messageboard, and other resources. You will get a welcome pack with photo card, a "parts of the pylon" print, badge, and other items such as bookmarks, stickers and info card." http://www.pylons.org/ http://www.pylons.org/exhibition/15x10towers/westham.shtml When a man is tired of pylons, he is tired of life   (Samuel Johnson, 1709 - 1784)
    Posted by Tikay10
    This is my line (pardon the pun) of work, although I work on the ground mounted switchgear in the substations rather than the overhead lines (scared of heights).

Is it the pylon structure you are interested in or the electricity distribution?? I find the latter far more interesting!
  • edited May 2015

This thread definitely proves that it isn't easy to please everyone all the time.

Some people clearly like tournaments being shown and analysed, other people like cash. Some want lots of detailed hand analysis, others like the challenge side of it and want it to be more fun and lighter.

I think the first thing to remember is the constraints that come with a two-hour show on Sky Sports 4. I don't personally think you can show a tournament that starts before 10pm on a show that airs at 10pm and I definitely don't think you can show a tournament that ends after midnight. The show runs 10pm until midnight. put yourself in the shoes of a casual viewer watching coverage of the 8pm event. It has been running two hours when you switch on so you are watching a "movie" from half way in. You manage to pick up the plot and start following the characters and then it all stops at midnight forty minutes before the bad guy got shot and the girl fell into the heroes arms. It just seems like a no-brainer that you can't expect viewers to go for that. To be honest I never understood why the structure wasn't changed to make sure the turbo was always done by midnight when we covered it on 861.

I think cash works much better in this spot. A lot of the coverage of turbo tournaments is pretty repetitive. The answer is almost always "go all-in" after the first half and hour or so. I think that could get pretty dull pretty quickly.

The fact that Sky Poker gets two hours of primetime TV to "sell their wares", (even though there are strict regulations on how that can be done and no direct mentions of "go to Sky Poker" or "check out the site and sign up now" can be made), is a great thing for the site and for all that play regularly on it. The show sometimes gets as many as 50 times as many viewers as 861 did and those people coming through and trying poker on the site must be good for everyone who enjoys playing at Sky Poker.

I just think it's important to remember that those people need to be engaged and the way to do that is probably different than it was with a three and five times a week five hour show.
  • edited May 2015

thanks for the insight neil.

• edited May 2015
    I actually really like the cash challenge, but would like to also see some other variety in the show

Going forward I would like to see some form of 'round up' from the weekly main, mini and bigger events, results, perhaps some edited final table coverage of the roller (as it's the flagship weekly event). I saw Anna doing a weekly news segment on you tube, something similar would work.

i think that anything that highlights whats available in a 'soft sell' manner (showcasing to possible newbies) and something that keeps the regular players engaged (who doesn't like to see their alias on the telly box).

Just a thought

Neil
  • edited May 2015

you could reveal the latest *** skypoker best players ***

• edited May 2015
    I agree with Neil, Cash is Sky's biggest percentage of traffic and purely from a business model it generates the most revenue it is an easier format for new recreational players which is essential for the poker industry to thrive. Also it's a flexible game for TV as you can set the length of time for it and can even sit out for analysis and most importantley it's FUN. I only just discovered cash recently thanks to mastercash on skypoker tv and cannot get enough!
  • edited May 2015
    Great to hear that the number of viewers is so high, have you noticed a significant rise in new accounts?

With regards to content obv you must make it viewer friendly while also giving people what they want. Judging that is the tricky bit as with poker itself your viewers will be split into different styles.

How about edited highlights of the best bits from through out the week? You already do it with cash in top of the pots, would it be possible to do the same with tourneys, say biggest gtd bounty hunter, freeze out (roller) and speed event, that being edited highlights of the previous week. It would also give you time to pick out some interesting hands for the analysts to do there bit.

Good luck in going forward however you decide to evolve the format anyhow.

Regards James
  • edited May 2015
    The fact that Sky Poker gets two hours of primetime TV to "sell their wares", (even though there are strict regulations on how that can be done and no direct mentions of "go to Sky Poker" or "check out the site and sign up now" can be made), is a great thing for the site and for all that play regularly on it. The show sometimes gets as many as 50 times as many viewers as 861 did and those people coming through and trying poker on the site must be good for everyone who enjoys playing at Sky Poker.

Hi Neil - Interesting stuff. So your task I guess is to get as many of the viewers to start playing on Skypoker as possible, however the bit highlighted in bold makes this a bit trickier! I think I saw mentioned before that you were getting up to 50,000 viewers on SS5, although MTT's are probably not as interesting to watch as Cash (especially in a Turbo where it is pretty much shove / fold towards the end) the fact that the winner of a MTT gets multiple times their buy-in I think makes that part more attractive to the new starter. So just needs a plan to get as many of the 50,000 viewers into the 10pm Turbo MTT on a Tuesday without actually mentioning Skypoker.

Cheers

Greg.
  • edited May 2015
    you could reveal the latest *** skypoker best players ***  
    Posted by aussie09

This is exactly the type of thing, and the points made by James (LmfaoAllin)
  • edited May 2015
    Another thing that I think is really important is consistency. I totally take the point that some people are saying "I watched it a couple of times but it's a bit repetitive and I won't stick with it". but I'm going to have to say that I don't agree with that. I just don't think you can rip up the format and change it to try and please everyone every week.

Have a look at Countdown, Question Time, Newsnight and any number of other long-running shows. They may tweek the format from time to time, but basically they have a format and they stick to it.

While I think it would be nice to have a chance to talk more about what has been happening on the site this week, in lots of ways, I do think that that is tricky. Partly there is a problem of what you can and cannot say but partly there is a big problem of excluding the new casual viewer who just wants to watch some poker and is not really tuning in to watch an information about what is happening on Sky Poker programme. It can sound a bit parochial if the whole thing becomes about the "parish newsletter" for Sky Poker. I understand that it would be great if 50,000 people could be directly sold to in that way but I think that might not get 50,000 to watch and to stick with it.

I think generally Sky Sports attracts 25-40 year old males who like sports and those should be the ones that the programmes are made for. If they enjoy the programme and think they might go on to try playing some poker, or go back to playing some poker, then hopefully they'll choose to play their poker on Sky Poker.

I think persuading the 50,000 that the kind of programme they want to watch is one that we would prefer them to watch may not help things and they could just switch off which won't really please Sky Sports or be any good for anyone.