You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dissapointed with last nights show.

2»

Comments

• edited May 2015
    theres no way your a regular viewer of newsnight and question time neil
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show.:
    Another thing that I think is really important is consistency. I totally take the point that some people are saying "I watched it a couple of times but it's a bit repetitive and I won't stick with it". but I'm going to have to say that I don't agree with that. I just don't think you can rip up the format and change it to try and please everyone every week.  Have a look at Countdown, Question Time, Newsnight and any number of other long-running shows. They may tweek the format from time to time, but basically they have a format and they stick to it.  While I think it would be nice to have a chance to talk more about what has been happening on the site this week, in lots of ways, I do think that that is tricky. Partly there is a problem of what you can and cannot say but partly there is a big problem of excluding the new casual viewer who just wants to watch some poker and is not really tuning in to watch an information about what is happening on Sky Poker programme. It can sound a bit parochial if the whole thing becomes about the "parish newsletter" for Sky Poker. I understand that it would be great if 50,000 people could be directly sold to in that way but I think that might not get 50,000 to watch and to stick with it.  I think generally Sky Sports attracts 25-40 year old males who like sports and those should be the ones that the programmes are made for. If they enjoy the programme and think they might go on to try playing some poker, or go back to playing some poker, then hopefully they'll choose to play their poker on Sky Poker.  I think persuading the 50,000 that the kind of programme they want to watch is one that we would prefer them to watch may not help things and they could just switch off which won't really please Sky Sports or be any good for anyone.
    Posted by NChanning

Firstly, your replies are coming over very well and I agree with some (but not all) of your points.

Hopefully I can add to this debate with my POV's. I am mainly a MTT player so this new format of a few 'mates' playing a cash poker challenge doesn't really appeal to me. I, however, do understand that you have to now cater for the more popular format of the game and the programme is now trying to do this.

The 'community' feel to Sky Poker is now lost with the new shows. The interaction with many has now gone. 

Hypothetically, if I was a new player, I would not feel the urge to sign up and play poker where the examples shown in the shows so far are 1) Sit down with about £100 which you can lose in any one hand or 2) Watch this TOTP's hand where thousands are lost and won. Granted, it is good for the current cash player but, IMO, not the casual viewer. Whereas, when a MTT is shown, where a player can win hundreds of pounds from a few pennies invested, this would attract more. Again, just my opinion.

I agree you can not please all of the people all of the time but hope that some views are taken on board and the show (in whatever format) grows and keeps up its viewing figures. I can only see that further developments/extra shows will only happen if the current one is/or is seen to be a success. I for one really hope it is.

• edited May 2015
    The fact that Sky Poker gets two hours of primetime TV to "sell their wares", (even though there are strict regulations on how that can be done and no direct mentions of "go to Sky Poker" or "check out the site and sign up now" can be made) ,Posted by GREGSTER
    Can't Sky Poker buy the advertising during the show and advertise soon-to-start tournaments - similar to how Ray Winstone tempts football fans to 'bet in play, naaw' by chucking up odds for a competitor brand... get a recognisable face to 'sign up to a 10.30 BH game, now'?

Or is it outlawed to even sell the site in TV adverts?

FWIW I like the £100 challenge as part of the main show, a bit like the celebrity lap times on Top Gear, say. Perhaps the occasional non-poker player may help this even more (an extension of where famous sports stars appeared on the live cash games).
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Dissapointed with last nights show. : Can't Sky Poker buy the advertising during the show and advertise soon-to-start tournaments - similar to how Ray Winstone tempts football fans to 'bet in play, naaw' by chucking up odds for a competitor brand... get a recognisable face to 'sign up to a 10.30 BH game, now'? Or is it outlawed to even sell the site in TV adverts? FWIW I like the £100 challenge as part of the main show, a bit like the celebrity lap times on Top Gear, say. Perhaps the occasional non-poker player may help this even more (an extension of where famous sports stars appeared on the live cash games).
    Posted by shakinaces

• edited May 2015
    theres no way your a regular viewer of newsnight and question time neil
    Posted by dazed1
     You would do your money betting on that Dazed. I have watched every single Question Time this year. I always watch it even if I'm abroad and I usually Sky+ it so I never miss a bit. Newsnight I'm more of a once or twice a week guy. I watched most days during the election but since Paxo went I watch it less often on "normal" weeks. Panoroma not so much but I'm massively missing Daily Poilitics already and I wish they'd have elections more often.