You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BarryGuns, Sky Poker to Main Event Winner! (The Journey)

2»

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: BarryGuns, Sky Poker to Main Event Winner! (The Journey):
    Unfortunately I will be unable to play at all today as I have received some sad news, hopefully I can post further updates some time this week.
    Posted by BarryGuns
    Oh no... not Muffin :'(
  • edited May 2015
    Oh well sigh..... I've been very slack of late and I've not been updating my blog. I'm currently 2/3 the way through writing my latest piece, but ive now come across this little gem. How can I compete with lines like, " I'm not usually an aggressive man but I got sucked out on with top pair and in a fit of rage I accidentally stood on my pet cat called muffin". 

It's irrelevant if it's true or not, it's pure entertainment. I've been raised and re-raised in one hit!!! 

Carry on sir. 
  • edited May 2015
    GL Barry, wishing you all the best.  Not sure about the size of your br but I've seen you tangling at the higher stakes so I can vouch for you there.

Run golden!

• edited May 2015
    In Response to BarryGuns, Sky Poker to Main Event Winner! (The Journey):
      Hello, I am Barry and this is my blog.     First a little about myself.. I am 48 years old and the former CEO of a pickle jar manufacturer which unfortunately went into liquidation after packaging design reformation backfired rendering the company with an unsustainable deficit, but hey that's a story for another day haha. :)   Poker has been my passion for many years now ever since Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker main event back in 2003 I have always aspired to match this achievement. This blog will follow me through my journey to hopefully earn a buyin to play the WSOP Main Event, my dream for almost 12 years now.   After paying off my various debts I have left myself with a reasonable £976.54 as my starting deposit with my end goal being £6412.50 ($10,000), the entry to this year’s WSOP Main Event! Giving myself a few weeks to achieve this goal I have confidence in my ability and can't wait to get started!   I have previously played on this site but with little success at the cheaper games, (people don't know how to play and just go all in with nothi ng />:(.. this time around I will face a more competent opposition) I will begin my online journey playing cash game poker with £100 sitdown and if all goes well (hopefully!) I will quickly move towards the larger sit down tables and play with the best, haha :) When I finally achieve my dream (haha!) I will never forget my humble Sky Poker beginnings and hopefully all the support that allowed me to get there! --- Shuffle up and deal :p
    Posted by BarryGuns

Greetings Barry, and welcome to the Sky Poker community :)

First of all, what an amazing dream to be aspiring to. I wish you all the very best with that, and hope that one day you can be sitting at the final table at the World Series of the Poker with the likes of Phil Ivey and Jamie Gold and other true greats! If ur gonna dream u may as well dream big right? haha

I thought I'd share a story from my life so as maybe to inspire you a little more. I'm a student at the moment and money comes and goes, but I never seem to have much of it. I joined the Uni poker society in the hopes of becoming better and meeting some new lads, and it was there that I met my personal idol and role model: Cillian Beragan. I watched in awe as he would take down first place in tournament after tournament. He, like me, started from humble beginnings, and it was this very year that he finally had a deep run and came FIRST in the UK student poker championships!! It was the buyin was £35 and for first place he got an incredible £6190 GBP!!! HE has enough money to fulfil your dream of playing in the main event, and we all expect him to be catching the first plane out to vegas this summer hahaha  :D

Heres to hoping that one day we can maybe all be as good as Cillian. In the mean time make sure you play solid and remember to fold AK because it's an over-rated hand lol am i right aahahah  xD

All the best, Barry

P.S. I'd recommend changing your screen name to something that doesn't have your first name in it because that's quite personal information; maybe something like 'BorryGuns or BerryGuns' or something else

GOOD LUCK!

• edited May 2015
    Guess he didn't like the new rewards scheme
    or maybe muffin talked him out of the idea

• edited June 2015
    Challenge complete, I fly for Vegas tomorrow
  • edited June 2015
    Great. Well done. How you do it?

• edited June 2015
    Hi Barry great news on completing the challenge, you were always a formidable opponent at the tables, that hero call with 5 high was one of the bravest things I've ever seen at an online poker table, it was unfortunate the villain had quads.
    Good luck in Vegas!
    Also just a quick quirky kinda fun silly question for you aha - when you were in trouble during your time as a pickle man, did you ever just turn to your colleages and go ... 'we're in quite a pickle here lads' and then all chuckle to yourselves?

See ya around 
  • edited June 2015

Well done.

The Main Event doesn't start until July 5th. You're gonna have to kill quite a lot of time out there Barry :)

• edited June 2015
    Well done. The Main Event doesn't start until July 5th. You're gonna have to kill quite a lot of time out there Barry :)
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Ample time for bus rides before the ME.

gl out there!
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Barry great news on completing the challenge, you were always a formidable opponent at the tables, that hero call with 5 high was one of the bravest things I've ever seen at an online poker table, it was unfortunate the villain had quads. Good luck in Vegas! Also just a quick quirky kinda fun silly question for you aha - when you were in trouble during your time as a pickle man, did you ever just turn to your colleages and go ... 'we're in quite a pickle here lads' and then all chuckle to yourselves? See ya around 
    Posted by KingBowl

Thanks a lot, its been quite the journey. As for your question, any pickle related jokes were strictly prohibited under my management and ultimately ended with immediate job termination.

• edited June 2015
    Well done. The Main Event doesn't start until July 5th. You're gonna have to kill quite a lot of time out there Barry :)
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Yes I realise this and have decided that I cannot wait and will be venturing onto the cash tables! I also forgot that I'm rich and can do what I want so I will be playing 10/25 until the main event while hopefully keeping this thread updated.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: BarryGuns, Sky Poker to Main Event Winner! (The Journey) : Yes I realise this and have decided that I cannot wait and will be venturing onto the cash tables! I also forgot that I'm rich and can do what I want so I will be playing 10/25 until the main event while hopefully keeping this thread updated.
    Posted by BarryGuns

I hope you have a fantastic time in Vegas and come away with some nice cash wins, maybe even a FT or 2 and if your on fire maybe a bracelet. Wishing you all the luck in the world.
  • edited June 2016