You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Words can cost site owners money!

edited June 2015 in Poker Chat
In Response to Words can cost site owners money!:
Why is it, that poker sites are so strict on bad language? 1st,  One has to be 18 to play...So we are supposed to be treated like adults, and not children. Like it or not, swearing has been around for many 100s of years. 2nd,  Most of us swear, at one point or another.... 3rd,  I'm not condoning swearing, but I can deal with it. More often it makes me chuckle! 4th, Would these fragile folk who report this to support, stop watching an 18 rated film, or leave a football match because of bad language? 5th. If you are that sensitive and fragile, you can't take it or any type of banter. Then why play online poker! 6th, Live play. I've heard bad language, often playing live poker, most are punished by a 10-15 min sit out. NOT the 3 months or more and in some cases a life ban! 7th. Does a rapist or killer get his chat taken from him. No, of course not! Then why are poker players punished so heavily? 8th. I have been banned from various sites for the most juvenile reasons...eg "You Muppet" or "FFS" I once was banned from one site for saying "POXY RNG* So I took $280 from one site $148 from another! Oh and I got banned for one month on one site for typing this "**** ***" They just assumed I was swearing! 9th. Why are so many site banning all chat on an "allin" situation. This the very time you want to rock a fellow player or mess with his or hers concentration! Any thoughts folks?
Posted by Frank53

i think maybe u should calm down and just enjoy the poker :)

Comments

• edited June 2015

Why is it, that poker sites are so strict on bad language?
    1st,  One has to be 18 to play...So we are supposed to be treated like adults, and not children. Like it or not, swearing has been around for many 100s of years.
    2nd,  Most of us swear, at one point or another....
    3rd,  I'm not condoning swearing, but I can deal with it. More often it makes me chuckle!
    4th, Would these fragile folk who report this to support, stop watching an 18 rated film, or leave a football match because of bad language?
    5th. If you are that sensitive and fragile, you can't take it or any type of banter. Then why play online poker!
    6th, Live play. I've heard bad language, often playing live poker, most are punished by a 10-15 min sit out. NOT the 3 months or more and in some cases a life ban!
    7th. Does a rapist or killer get his chat taken from him. No, of course not! Then why are poker players punished so heavily?
    8th. I have been banned from various sites for the most juvenile reasons...eg "You Muppet" or "FFS" I once was banned from one site for saying "POXY RNG* So I took $280 from one site $148 from another! Oh and I got banned for one month on one site for typing this "**** ***" They just assumed I was swearing!
    9th. Why are so many site banning all chat on an "allin" situation. This the very time you want to rock a fellow player or mess with his or hers concentration!

Any thoughts folks?

My thread does seem to have stimulated comment.
    What are your thoughts on this...
    Tables...with no chat....Tables with the current filters..... Tables where there is no holds barred, apart from threats!
    That way we would all have the choice where we prefer to play!
    I would play on the latter, not because I like to abuse, or swear, well if deserved...But it  would probably be hilarious! No treading on egg shells, marvalous!

• edited June 2015
    Im scared of you!!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money!:
    In Response to Words can cost site owners money! : i think maybe u should calm down and just enjoy the poker :)
    Posted by RLT16
    I am very calm, as always! Poker much more enjoyable with banter! See how you assume I'm angry! Dopey!
  • edited June 2015
    Im scared of you!!
    Posted by gerardirl
    Scared of a 62 yr old retiered man, blimey you are a bit ...well girly really!
  • edited June 2015
    The reason sites ban chat upon an all-in is to prevent collusion/coaching
  • edited June 2015
    The reason sites ban chat upon an all-in is to prevent collusion/coaching
    Posted by Essexphil
    Possible, but with no proof! So we are chat banned for that allin anyway! And collusion happens anyway what ever the state of play!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Words can cost site owners money!:
    Why is it, that poker sites are so strict on bad language? 1st,  One has to be 18 to play...So we are supposed to be treated like adults, and not children. Like it or not, swearing has been around for many 100s of years. 2nd,  Most of us swear, at one point or another.... 3rd,  I'm not condoning swearing, but I can deal with it. More often it makes me chuckle! 4th, Would these fragile folk who report this to support, stop watching an 18 rated film, or leave a football match because of bad language? 5th. If you are that sensitive and fragile, you can't take it or any type of banter. Then why play online poker! 6th, Live play. I've heard bad language, often playing live poker, most are punished by a 10-15 min sit out. NOT the 3 months or more and in some cases a life ban! 7th. Does a rapist or killer get his chat taken from him. No, of course not! Then why are poker players punished so heavily? 8th. I have been banned from various sites for the most juvenile reasons...eg "You Muppet" or "FFS" I once was banned from one site for saying "POXY RNG* So I took $280 from one site $148 from another! Oh and I got banned for one month on one site for typing this "**** ***" They just assumed I was swearing! 9th. Why are so many site banning all chat on an "allin" situation. This the very time you want to rock a fellow player or mess with his or hers concentration! Any thoughts folks?
    Posted by Frank53
    No, they get their freedom taken away from them instead
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Words can cost site owners money! : No, they get their freedom taken away from them instead
    Posted by cenachav
    And rightly so! Have you got a degree in the bleeding obvious? Banning chat is a mild form of imprisonment!
    Freedom of speech, out the window! Still site owners lose in the end!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : Possible, but with no proof! So we are chat banned for that allin anyway! And collusion happens anyway what ever the state of play!
    Posted by Frank53
    More the accidental type in this situation-telling people to call etc-it was very common some years ago, and banning chat once someone is all-in is, in my view, preferable
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : And rightly so! Have you got a degree in the bleeding obvious? Banning chat is a mild form of imprisonment! Freedom of speech, out the window! Still site owners lose in the end!
    Posted by Frank53
    Yes.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : I am very calm, as always! Poker much more enjoyable with banter! See how you assume I'm angry! Dopey!
    Posted by Frank53
    What may be "banter" to you may be "verbal abuse" to someone else. Keep it polite and there's not need to attract the attention of the powers that be.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : What may be "banter" to you may be "verbal abuse" to someone else. Keep it polite and there's not need to attract the attention of the powers that be.
    Posted by FCHD
    Do you mean the Head of Grammar, aka the exclamation mark policeman, Sir Slipwater? :)
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : More the accidental type in this situation-telling people to call etc-it was very common some years ago, and banning chat once someone is all-in is, in my view, preferable
    Posted by Essexphil
    LOL I respect a fellow player, but if someone told me to call, I would do what I think is right for me! No player HAS to follow an order! It's the same as calling out "I've got kings" but of course they could be lying!

Still, nothing you or I can do about it! It's cast in stone, so to speak. However I fully resect your views!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : What may be "banter" to you may be "verbal abuse" to someone else. Keep it polite and there's not need to attract the attention of the powers that be.
    Posted by FCHD
    WOW what power they wield, do I really care, to old and to wise for that nonsense to bother me, all I know is if I had my own site, I would at least make the punishment fit the crime!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : Do you mean the Head of Grammar, aka the exclamation mark policeman, Sir Slipwater? :)
    Posted by Essexphil
    Oi, your from Essex, so am I. I'll take the smack on the wrist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2015
    I think u will find players come here to play poker,and players are only chat banned for the most extreme offences of abuse which is right imo,banter is one thing but abusive players need to be bought into line and stopped.I think the phrase theres a time and place for evrything springs to mind,and basically if u read the t and cs of joining a site then maybe u shouldnt be surprised u get banned.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : Yes.
    Posted by cenachav
    Have a badge then. Wear it with pride.
  • edited June 2015
    Thread is lol. Banned from various sites for minor stuff ?

I have been on the end of your banter for a man of a certain age I would expect better.

You would certainly not got away with what you said at a live table to me.

Although I guess you wouldn't do it live like most keyboard warriors.

Pat the "potatoe picker living in a shack".
  • edited June 2015
    Thread is lol. Banned from various sites for minor stuff ? I have been on the end of your banter for a man of a certain age I would expect better. You would certainly not got away with what you said at a live table to me. Although I guess you wouldn't do it live like most keyboard warriors. Pat the "potatoe picker living in a shack".
    Posted by day4eire76

Spuds are good
  • edited June 2015
    Gone quiet you banned again ?

Or more than likely fell asleep !

To right Stu we are a good bunch.
  • edited June 2015
    You live in a shack....damn so jealous! Getting electricity in to my wee village in Ireland soon. lol

Yep banther is one thing but there is a line, ...abuse is a whole new thing. You say it costs sites money if your banned, if your not banned it will cost the site even more money because abusive players drive other players off sites...I know several that have stopped because of abuse from a certain individual ....who still uses two ids and despite chat bans is still playing and abusing!

Ger
  • edited June 2015
    Good bunch Ger usually wouldn't notice it as play with chat off unless I see someone on my table that I know.

Everybody gets some abuse mostly from ltl but he always sticks in my mind as it went on for about 30mins till he was knocked out.The other stuff wont get through the filters so you can imagine the nonsense.

Sad really an old man getting his kicks abusing players by location.
  • edited June 2015
    I think u will find players come here to play poker,and players are only chat banned for the most extreme offences of abuse which is right imo,banter is one thing but abusive players need to be bought into line and stopped.I think the phrase theres a time and place for evrything springs to mind,and basically if u read the t and cs of joining a site then maybe u shouldnt be surprised u get banned.
    Posted by CHILLIE
    Ah...yep. I agree. Just. I hope it's balanced, and the staff use common sense. When I first came on sky poker quite a few years ago now. There was a player on my table called *quote* "PhuckPhace* So I said to this bloke, " Hey PhuckPhace" were you drunk when you created your screen name?"
    Only to be banned for 3 months! This is what I mean over over punishment!
    He was booted out. But again I was more amused by his screen name than offended! I think It's a fine line and difficult to get right. I then refused to deposit here, as I'm not going to pay for the privilege of being "CORKED" as it's now commonly known.
    This what I mean about costing the site money. So deposited elsewhere. But basically, I can't really disagree with you. Although the *Ts and Cs* at sky are the most strict I've ever come across! As for players who come here to play poker, seems a bit odd as it bears little resemblance to poker!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : Spuds are good
    Posted by stuarty117
    Quote me please. When? Where?
     You must of baited me. But don't claim that unless you put down the proof. Spud brain.
    The very fact you remember beats me. Women have a similar brain. My wife brings up stuff that happened 20 yrs ago!
  • edited June 2015
    You live in a shack....damn so jealous! Getting electricity in to my wee village in Ireland soon. lol Yep banther is one thing but there is a line, ...abuse is a whole new thing. You say it costs sites money if your banned, if your not banned it will cost the site even more money because abusive players drive other players off sites...I know several that have stopped because of abuse from a certain individual ....who still uses two ids and despite chat bans is still playing and abusing! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Nonsense, I've many players leave here because of much more important things. Like I say folk are so fragile these days.
    I have been called every thing under the sun over the years. NEVER reported anyone.
    Why would I want to get a fellow character "Corked" Deprive myself of a clown. lol Water of a ducks back!
  • edited June 2015
    Good bunch Ger usually wouldn't notice it as play with chat off unless I see someone on my table that I know. Everybody gets some abuse mostly from ltl but he always sticks in my mind as it went on for about 30mins till he was knocked out.The other stuff wont get through the filters so you can imagine the nonsense. Sad really an old man getting his kicks abusing players by location.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Do you mean me, it's unclear. Iv'e not played here for 3 years. Just returned to see what's going on, and what tourns are now available!
    There must be another player with a name similar to mine!
  • edited June 2015
    I remember on  another site i used to frequent , I had the user name "Ring Peace" .

Customer services rang me up and asked me to change it or I would be banned . I said I would change it as soon as I got home.

The lady went  onto say , Can you change it immediately please....

I wasnt even at the table, I was out and about driving. I pulled the van over, logged in on my phone and changed it too  ...well, I dare not put it here...but I got away with it....
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Frank, I would like to give my view on your OP. We should be polite to each other for many reasons, A - As you say,we are adults and inflammatory comments / bad language is playground mentality and we really should have grown up and left that behind- if only to be a role model for our children.
    B - The site has rules and we should play within the rules.
    C - You mention the word banter, my view on that is you have banter with people you know, or have had a bit of chat with before on the table or in a thread, as you never know how your words will be received, why go out of your way to deliberately antagonise someone?
    And most importantly D - Some people have fragile mentality, and low self esteem, you never know who you are directing your perceived "banter" towards and what effect that will have on them, there have been many reported instances of a really bad ending to this scenario, would you be comfortable with your words "we are all adults" then?

Have a good day, I hope like me you are never to old to learn.
  • edited June 2015
    Can we not just be polite in the CB? If you'r vocabulary is so limited you can not verbally spar without using banned words may I suggest a thesaurus?

Slippery your welcome : )
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Words can cost site owners money! : Quote me please. When? Where?  You must of baited me. But don't claim that unless you put down the proof. Spud brain. The very fact you remember beats me. Women have a similar brain. My wife brings up stuff that happened 20 yrs ago!
    Posted by Frank53
    What you mean/talking about i have never played with u in my life.

Just sticking up for all the good spuds on sky