You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Spin Up Cash Tables

edited January 2017 in Poker Chat
Spin Up!
Sky Poker's new Cash Game variant.

Are you fearless when it comes to shoving?
Do you run good when your chips are in the middle?

If so, try our Spin Up cash tables.

Short stacked cash, that tests your decision making skills. Is one pair strong enough? Should you go on that flush draw? 

Can you handle the pressure and spin it up?

Comments

• edited June 2015

Do you run good when your chips are in the middle?

Will these new tables be called Bates, Tommy, Solack etc etc.

Friday/Saturday late nights will be fun on these tables no doubt ;)
  • edited June 2015
    should have called them the roulette tables
  • edited June 2015
    Will the rake be the same as equivalent 100bb/MC tables?

Not that I think I have the heart to be all in every other hand lol
  • edited June 2015
    Its hard enough getting a decent amount of games going on Sky and things like this and capped tables make it even harder.

Also makes the lobby even more cluttered and more confusing.

• edited June 2015
    agree wit ajs 100%
  • edited June 2015
    A few years ago I complained about the capped tables, said they ruined the regular cash tables. A few people showed me the error of my ways and said look people will play whatever they wanna play, you cant just funnel them all onto your regular games just because thats the game in which you think you have the best chance to win and i conceeded the point and agreed with them. 

But this is different to that, these "Spin Up" tables are just a raketrap where over time no one can win, as Dazed said may aswel chuck it on the wheel
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables:
    Its hard enough getting a decent amount of games going on Sky and things like this and capped tables make it even harder. Also makes the lobby even more cluttered and more confusing.
    Posted by ajs4385

Thanks for the feedback. These games cleary aren't your cup of tea but for other fun players looking for a quick game (partly why they are popular on mobile) where the luck/skill balance is a little more in their favour, they are enjoyable.

There are plenty of other regular cash games going right now, even at a fairly quiet time of the day if you prefer those. It's sure to get busier later too.

Good luck and have a good day.

• edited June 2015
    A few years ago I complained about the capped tables, said they ruined the regular cash tables. A few people showed me the error of my ways and said look people will play whatever they wanna play, you cant just funnel them all onto your regular games just because thats the game in which you think you have the best chance to win and i conceeded the point and agreed with them.  But this is different to that, these "Spin Up" tables are just a raketrap where over time no one can win, as Dazed said may aswel chuck it on the wheel
    Posted by bolly580
    Hi Bolly580

We can assure you that they are not a 'raketrap'. Yes they are raked like any other game, but they are here for a more fun game that's a bit of a change for the norm. As we said in the previous post, these may have a different skill/luck balance to deeper games but there is still a skill element to shorter-stacked games just as there are on turbos, heads-up games, bounty hunters etc.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited June 2015
    would it be possible to replace the televised filter with a capped/spin up filter?and not have the spinup/capped appear with the regular and televised(deep stacked) tables
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : Thanks for the feedback. These games cleary aren't your cup of tea but for other fun players looking for a quick game (partly why they are popular on mobile) where the luck/skill balance is a little more in their favour, they are enjoyable. There are plenty of other regular cash games going right now, even at a fairly quiet time of the day if you prefer those. It's sure to get busier later too. Good luck and have a good day.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    I have played more hands on this site than anyone (probably) and seen what all different decisions down the years have done to this site both good and bad. So it would be wise to at least listen to what I have to say.

When a capped table gets going it generally is a table of 6 short stack fun gambling recreational players (trying to use polite terms).

When a normal table gets going it is generally 4 high raking multi tabling regs, 2 recreational players.

So its a simple question what is more profitable for Sky?

Use the 6 fun players to create rake on 1 capped table or use the 6 fun players to create rake on 3 normal tables.

Oh and before some troll pipes up saying well I saw a couple of regs playing a capped table other day I put the word generally in each sentence. The vast majority of regs wont play capped as mixing different forms of the game makes multi tabling very difficult.

All the above wouldn't be a problem if there where lots of tables running like on stars. However there isn't so on the surface simple changes such as a different choice of table do make a big difference.

So what about the fun players I here you ask?

Well it doesn't matter to them if they sit with 30bb on a capped table or 30bb on a normal table. There still tring to spin up their 30bb.

• edited June 2015
    would it be possible to replace the televised filter with a capped/spin up filter?and not have the spinup/capped appear with the regular and televised(deep stacked) tables
    Posted by dazed1

Hi Dazed1,

Thanks for the suggestion, this type of change is something we will be looking to do in the future.

Cheers.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : I have played more hands on this site than anyone (probably) and seen what all different decisions down the years have done to this site both good and bad. So it would be wise to at least listen to what I have to say. When a capped table gets going it generally is a table of 6 short stack fun gambling recreational players (trying to use polite terms). When a normal table gets going it is generally 4 high raking multi tabling regs, 2 recreational players.   So its a simple question what is more profitable for Sky? Use the 6 fun players to create rake on 1 capped table or use the 6 fun players to create rake on 3 normal tables. Oh and before some troll pipes up saying well I saw a couple of regs playing a capped table other day I put the word generally in each sentence. The vast majority of regs wont play capped mixing different forms of the game makes multi tabling very difficult. All the above wouldn't be a problem if there where lots of tables running like on stars. However there isn't so on the surface simple changes such as a different choice of table do make a big difference. So what about the fun players I here you ask? Well it doesn't matter to them if they sit with 30bb on a capped table or 30bb on a normal table. There still tring to spin up their 30bb.
    Posted by ajs4385

We certainly have listened and replied. We may not agree on this but that's fine.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : We certainly have listened and replied.  We may not agree on this but that's fine.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Fair enough if you don't agree.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : I have played more hands on this site than anyone (probably) and seen what all different decisions down the years have done to this site both good and bad. So it would be wise to at least listen to what I have to say. When a capped table gets going it generally is a table of 6 short stack fun gambling recreational players (trying to use polite terms). When a normal table gets going it is generally 4 high raking multi tabling regs, 2 recreational players.   So its a simple question what is more profitable for Sky? Use the 6 fun players to create rake on 1 capped table or use the 6 fun players to create rake on 3 normal tables. Oh and before some troll pipes up saying well I saw a couple of regs playing a capped table other day I put the word generally in each sentence. The vast majority of regs wont play capped as mixing different forms of the game makes multi tabling very difficult. All the above wouldn't be a problem if there where lots of tables running like on stars. However there isn't so on the surface simple changes such as a different choice of table do make a big difference. So what about the fun players I here you ask? Well it doesn't matter to them if they sit with 30bb on a capped table or 30bb on a normal table. There still tring to spin up their 30bb.
    Posted by ajs4385
    So what you are saying is get rid of capped tables where recs can play each other and maybe come out ahead, versus sit on a 100bb table vs the likes of you to pay your wages. Ohh and when the recs are busted, all the regs then leave as they wont play each other. That the way poker works right?

The site is here to cater for the needs of all of its customers, if there is a demand for capped tables then who are you to dictate what games sky should promote?

FWIW I do think the latest version is a bit extreme, but if there is a demand for the game then I wouldnt blame sky for keeping them running. 

Until I next see you on a capped table AJS ;)

• edited June 2015
    When a capped table gets going it generally is a table of 6 short stack fun gambling recreational players (trying to use polite terms). When a normal table gets going it is generally 4 high raking multi tabling regs, 2 recreational players.   So its a simple question what is more profitable for Sky? Use the 6 fun players to create rake on 1 capped table or use the 6 fun players to create rake on 3 normal tables.
    What would probably be more profitable is if the "regs" played each other on the 2 or 3 normal tables and the "recs" could play at a game and a level they're happy with on the capped tables? Oh no, heaven forbid that some players play at any table without a couple of "rec" players at it! If the capped tables were deleted, what makes you think these players would want to play at normal tables? The few times I play cash I only ever play the capped tables, partly because that suits my game and partly because they are filled with "fun" players and I enjoy the session.

What you're really getting at is what would be more profitable for you and the other multi tabling regs.
  • edited June 2015
    How about trying some anonymous tables and limit too 2/3 tables at a time  would help smaller players build up some confidence and knowledge without just getting destroyed by people playing 20+ tables

Sure these would fill quite easily and may get some more people playing cash.

Would also stop the regs just waiting on weaker players as others have said.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : Hi Bolly580 We can assure you that they are not a 'raketrap'.  Yes they are raked like any other game, but they are here for a more fun game that's a bit of a change for the norm. As we said in the previous post, these may have a different skill/luck balance to deeper games but there is still a skill element to shorter-stacked games just as there are on turbos, heads-up games, bounty hunters etc. Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Seems a bit disingenuous - I mean, isn't the whole point of SkyPoker to generate more rake and help increase profits... which must be one of if not the main purpose of this introduction? 

Not saying this isn't a good addition and won't be popular, but surely this format is (almost?) unbeatable over the long term...
  • edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : Seems a bit disingenuous - I mean, isn't the whole point of SkyPoker to generate more rake and help increase profits... which must be one of if not the main purpose of this introduction?  Not saying this isn't a good addition and won't be popular, but surely this format is (almost?) unbeatable over the long term...
    Posted by shakinaces

Sure, we are a business and we are able to fund the site via rake (on cash tables) but we firmly believe that we'll grow the site by providing games that people like and will come back to - amongst other things we do.

There's a very good chance that people will work a strategy to do better in these games. It is a different format to normal games and so requires a different way of playing. They may also be softer than regular games too. Time will tell.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : So what you are saying is get rid of capped tables where recs can play each other and maybe come out ahead, versus sit on a 100bb table vs the likes of you to pay your wages. Ohh and when the recs are busted, all the regs then leave as they wont play each other. That the way poker works right? The site is here to cater for the needs of all of its customers, if there is a demand for capped tables then who are you to dictate what games sky should promote? FWIW I do think the latest version is a bit extreme, but if there is a demand for the game then I wouldnt blame sky for keeping them running.  Until I next see you on a capped table AJS ;)
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    What I am saying is Sky will make more rake from 3 normal tables than 1 capped one.

I like capped as they are soft. However, there is not enough going to get a decent volume and like I said mixing different types of poker when playing a few tables is not a good idea.

If Sky want to attract multitabling high raking regs. They have got to feed them.
  • edited June 2015
    How about trying some anonymous tables and limit too 2/3 tables at a time  would help smaller players build up some confidence and knowledge without just getting destroyed by people playing 20+ tables Sure these would fill quite easily and may get some more people playing cash. Would also stop the regs just waiting on weaker players as others have said.
    Posted by churchy18

We have started a thread on this - here
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Spin Up Cash Tables : Sure, we are a business and we are able to fund the site via rake (on cash tables) but we firmly believe that we'll grow the site by providing games that people like and will come back to - amongst other things we do. There's a very good chance that people will work a strategy to do better in these games. It is a different format to normal games and so requires a different way of playing. They may also be softer than regular games too. Time will tell.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    unreg pre?
  • edited June 2015

Just one thing to add...

Someone asked if these tables were capped - no they are not.

As people build up stacks it makes for an interesting dynamic and the game could become deeper.
  • edited June 2015
    Just one thing to add... Someone asked if these tables were capped - no they are not. As people build up stacks it makes for an interesting dynamic and the game could become deeper.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Have to say didnt realise that initially. Sat at a £0.50/£1 table and pot sizes where getting quite big. Interesting dynamic with large and short stacks at the table. 

This may catch on.
  • edited June 2015
    A lot of players play a 'spin it up' kind of game anyway.
    I play cash on another site and always buy-in short looking to double or treble.

Some fairly great players started the same way.  For instance back in the day when poker first came about, Scotty77 would often sit min stacked and I believe this is where he learnt the best places to shove.

I am all in favour of anything that changes the game up a bit.
  • edited June 2015
    Instead of gimmicks like this which probably wont interest recs why dont SKY think of adding Zoom, Rush, Snap type tables?

As a bona fide rec who only really plays for a couple of hours a night a few times a week I dont want to sit at cash tables for hours on end "grinding" it out. I know the cash pureist wouldnt want them but I actually play these more than regular cash tables as I find it more enjoyable as there is more action.

Of course SKY would have to look at its rake structure and we all know that is something they refuse to do.........
  • edited June 2015
    Instead of gimmicks like this which probably wont interest recs why dont SKY think of adding Zoom, Rush, Snap type tables? As a bona fide rec who only really plays for a couple of hours a night a few times a week I dont want to sit at cash tables for hours on end "grinding" it out. I know the cash pureist wouldnt want them but I actually play these more than regular cash tables as I find it more enjoyable as there is more action. Of course SKY would have to look at its rake structure and we all know that is something they refuse to do.........
    Posted by dabossman
    +1 But seeing as it is a struggle for the software to be able to let you do basic things such as save up tournament tokens, I doubt it is anywhere near good enough to be able to manage something like this.
  • edited June 2015
    I wouldnt play these tables myself but I think its not a bad idea and I dont think its fair comparing them to capped games. Thats comparing marmite to lemon curd.

I also dont think It would not crowd the lobby. (let me compare them to capped briefly) when capped tables start you only see one table, till its full, then the 2nd table appears as empty, the Spinning games could do this.

There is room across the top of the filters...

CappedFree Play

If it spinning games make people dizzy, they dont have to select them. Debate over IMHO.
  • edited June 2015
    Certainly not a new addition. I remember when sky introduced these a couple of years ago and they didn't last long. In regards to the debate of having them I guess we'll have to see whether they are popular or not. ATM it looks like only two tables run per level which I believe is probably the right balance for anyone wanting to play them without having more spawning and clogging up the site.  
  • edited June 2015
    Certainly not a new addition. I remember when sky introduced these a couple of years ago and they didn't last long. In regards to the debate of having them I guess we'll have to see whether they are popular or not. ATM it looks like only two tables run per level which I believe is probably the right balance for anyone wanting to play them without having more spawning and clogging up the site.  
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Think your getting these confused curt. The ones sky had a few years back where capped but with a limit of something like 10bb. These tables are not capped, as your stack grows you can in theory win a lot more than 10bb in one hand. Ive seen a player spin up to 100bb on a 1/2 table.