You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My road to..who knows where

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat
Fantastic write-up
GL at DTD

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Here goes.................. Nearly all of you will know I managed to qualify for the Main UKPC event at DTD and quite a few of you will be wondering how I will be doing when I get there, so I thought I would try and start a blog.

Think most of the players on Sky were on my table or popped in and out through out the night to see how I was getting on. After a very very shaky start and I mean physically shaking in the opening hands I decided to put some music on, Nickelback............love em or hate em I really don't care. Still feeling like a startled deer caught in the head lights of a car one of my favourite songs came on.........Burn it to the ground and then boom the switch was turned on and I felt so calm and I thought right, now it's game on.

First off I was just aiming not to go out first. Then that went by the by. Then my next goal was to reach the first break. Got to the first break so was really pleased with myself about that. The rail was absolutely awesome. I was playing hands I wouldn't normally play by instinct something told me to either go for it or fold it etc. I really felt sorry for those on my table as I really don't know how I managed to win the hands I did. Think even they couldn't believe they had lost a hand with hole cards they had. One of them even asked me to leave their chips alone and to take someone elses chips. lol

Now for the rail. How many poker players can actually say they got a proposal of marriage! I got told if I reached the final table then we would get married. So I said there is no final table so you are safe. There is only 15 seats up for grabs. The reply came back well will marry you if you get a seat and get through. By this time I know I shouldn't have been but I was in fits of hysterics and couldn't stop laughing. Over the course of the night we had arranged the maid of honour, colour of the bridesmaids dresses, not arranged a time or date or venue but the honey moon was going to be in Vegas. I wanted the best man to be jason statham! Also people saying that the first drink would be on them in notts.

Now back to poker. Somehow I managed to get to the second break with a nice chip stack. So was even happier. Think there was quite a few left at this stage but foggy brain at minute as still tired so not sure. We played one hand and I pre raised the flop to 120 I can't remember what hand I had at the time as have a memory recall of a goldfish. I have never ever seen a whole table fold so quick in my life. It was like gun fire. All folded at the same time! No bet, no flop no nothing.

Now we are getting nearer and nearer to the bubble, after knocking a player out who plops onto my table but Lambert180. (I knocked him out of the semi's near the bubble last time.)) Lambo's comments went something like this.......Oh Great just who I didn't want to see....or something along those lines.....I thought charming welcome that is! lol I suppose I did look pretty scary as I still had a decent sized stack. Think there was about 20 left or something like that and I had made it to break no 3!

The rail were going absolutely crazy by this time and saying I already had my seat. Was not a problem was a walk in the park from now on. After watching many tables near the bubble I knew that this could be an uncertainty and had seen many large stacks crumble and fall just before the final hurdle. I told them nothing was certain until the final hand had been played. Lambo made a nice DU taking his chips to just over 10 so I think he sort of breathed a sigh of relief at that. Really don't think he liked sitting on my right as he didn't know what I was going to do next lol

Then before we all knew it the tournament entered hand for hand. The bubble was upon us........Didn't matter that I had a large stack of chips to me I had to sit on my hands and hope and pray I would get through and not make a stupid mistake. I sat on my hands for a while and then a hand came up I could not ignore even though I was not in the blinds something told me to play it and I would win it. Don't ask me how or why I just knew. The rail by this time were having kittens! Wondering why the heck I had actually bet a pot I didn't need to play. It was just one of those things I had to do. I did win the pot quite a lot of chips can't remember how much, but I did it. Someone was closer to the bubble than I was. Selfish thinking I know but someone had to go out.

Don't know how long the bubble lasted but it finally burst, with all of those on my table getting through, even Lambo (big sigh of relief from him me thinks) Then the rail went crazy sending congratulations etc.

So after what started as a joke of qualifying through a freeroll, to get to UKPC Semi then to the Final, all for not a lot of money there is the start of my tale of a fantasy ride to my first ever major tournament. Never thought in a million years I would actually get this far after such a short space of time. Still is so surreal to me still not sunk in. I have been watching and looking at the UKPC tournament on you tube though, why on earth did I do that I don't know as it has just scared me half to death. But it was nice to see some people on there that I have had the pleasure to play against.

So there is the start to a dream scenario, time to TID........only in my dreams..........

Oh and next year I will be qualifying for Vegas, me and rose will be going.....another dream.......so watch this space!
  • edited June 2015
    fantastic blog and a richly deserved seat wd and enjoy
  • edited June 2015
    fantastic write up and many congrats on winning your seat, next you have to win it and win the DYM challange, then you can go pro.
  • edited June 2015
    Great write up and well done very jealous
  • edited June 2015
    Great stuff mi dear.

Lovely lady, who supports all... so i'm right behind you :) 
    Do binks please.

Oh, and IN for Vegas with you and the crazy one x
  • edited June 2015
    Great read and also so nice to see a player bink a seat from a freeroll as it gives us all hope.
    Enjoy your day ( or days hopefully ) would love to see you cash in this, look forward to your updates.
  • edited June 2015
    Well done on getting your seat and many thanks for knocking me out (limping UTG with AQ tut tut)
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: My road to Nottingham DTD:
    Well done on getting your seat and many thanks for knocking me out (limping UTG with AQ tut tut)
    Posted by neil1970
    Neil, apologies for knocking you out lol. Told you not read a poker book, no strategy no nothing. Its just a feeling. Don't try and understand my game as it doesn't work as the others. It's a special game, my game and it works for me.  Even I have trouble understanding it sometimes. Don't forget it was my first ever final and I was still unsure all the way to the end. So my betting was a bit erratic to say the least. I wanted to keep my chips. I'm not going to be changing it so who ever plays me expect the unexpected that's all I can say :)

A player and a I would like to say good friend on here on the chat tables even though we've never met, tonight said to me I had given her hope again and a new focus on her poker and I was an inspiration. I am so pleased that I can be an inspiration for one person. I hope I can inspire many more too. Don't give up If I can do it, why can't you??
    Thank you all for the kind words.
  • edited June 2015
    Great stuff mi dear. Lovely lady, who supports all... so i'm right behind you :)  Do binks please. Oh, and IN for Vegas with you and the crazy one x
    Posted by samantha25
    Thanks Sam, when I start binking I will write about it.....lol Got to get to FT and HU first though lol I will do it just might take a bit of time.

As for vegas, no problem :)
  • edited June 2015
    Delighted for you, it is great to hear that one of the nice people is doing so well
  • edited June 2015
    Well done on winning through to dtd. From the sound of it, when you get there just go with instincts when playing and you will be fine. Good luck and take it down.
  • edited June 2015
    Very well done - love to see these kind of stories on the forum.

Best of luck for DTD (fingers crossed you get a seat next to Lambert)
  • edited June 2015
    Very well done - love to see these kind of stories on the forum. Best of luck for DTD (fingers crossed you get a seat next to Lambert)
    Posted by Phantom66
    As long as he's to my right I'm not bothered. lol
  • edited June 2015
    welldone darkangel best of luck to u  enjoy the experience
  • edited June 2015
    dnt be scared  it will be a great experience just play your normal game u have done great to come from a freeroll to qualify for a £550 main event buy in so who knows u might cash im sure there will be alot of people feeling nervous aswell and its there 1st time
  • edited June 2015
    Great post DA, look forward to the updates from DTD.

I enjoy and hate playing on your tables in equal measure.  Don't have a clue to work out what hands your playing and how, so normally donk my chips away, but always fun rail on the go when you're there which is a big plus! It's awesome to see the site's good guys (or rather, girls) get the binks.

Enjoy the experience and hope you run well!
  • edited June 2015
    Great post DA, look forward to the updates from DTD. I enjoy and hate playing on your tables in equal measure.  Don't have a clue to work out what hands your playing and how, so normally donk my chips away, but always fun rail on the go when you're there which is a big plus! It's awesome to see the site's good guys (or rather, girls) get the binks. Enjoy the experience and hope you run well!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Shakin when I read this I automatically started laughing. If you read my post above to Neil regarding my play then you will realise I'm special lmaoooooooooooooooooo. Don't think anyone has really worked out what hand's i've had or had not, or maybe they could have and just got lucky. Should be down at Milton Keynes Saturday so look forward to seeing you there. Don't worry I won't be on your table as I'm not playing! Some day's I run hot other days i run like a donkey. But hey that's poker for you. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I cash I cash, if I don't I don't it's all experience. To me it's about having fun and relaxing and playing poker. I am not one to take it seriously and start to tilt or bad mouth anyone if they ever knocked me out with a supposedly what you would call a bad hand I always say either NH or WP, shake it off try learn from it and move on.

The only good thing I can really say about getting to Notts is I really have no clue who the top players are and what their reps are. Which I really don't want to know as then I won't have nothing to be scared about. The only scary thing about it is IF I manage to get on to the feature table. But will cross that bridge if the time ever arises. Will keep on plodding away, and for those who play me on tables, don't try and post if you played it right or wrong, or was I in the right or wrong because I just don't seem to conform to normal poker standards.
  • edited June 2015
    Fantastic result Olive, hope you have a great game in DTD Notts, run golden and win some  big Wonga.
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks Arfur.

Well only 2 more sleeps for me until I get in my trusty little sidecar and head down the M1 to Milton Keynes (hope it doesn't break down on me as not got RAC or AA cover lol). It really was touch and go wether I would get a sitter for my daughter or not as my son was already sorted. Even if I didn't have a sitter for her I would have still come down spent probably 10 minutes/half an hour to meet up and say Hello to everyone, see Rose and maybe get my vegas stuff that she was supposed to have sent me 5 years ago,  (that's if she remembers that is ;) ) pick up my t-shirt and wish them good luck then drive all the way back again.

That's how much it means to me to have the support I've had from you sky lot. I know a lot of you have played poker for many years and take it seriously, I am sorry if I've come across as not taking it seriously and just having fun. I honestly am. So here's why I am like I am.

Horrendous start to this year. Had 3 funerals not including a friend who died of committing suicide. One was mum, they dropped the coffin! That's all I will say on this particular matter and it affected me deeply. Then 3 weeks after that a neighbour who we'd grown up with died and then her daughter the week after. So that was another 2 funerals with in a week. Then few weeks later found out about my friend. So to say I've not been in any fit state mentally is an understatement. Now all we need is a wedding..............lmaoooooooooooooooooo

Right now on to how and why I started to play poker. Rose text me and said she was playing in a final on sky and would I like to watch, so I signed up and did the only thing I knew how to do rail! Rose then said to me why don't you give it a go and start playing. So I deposited and started playing. To say i'd never played poker like this before for real cash was a new thing to me. I'd only played zynga and was never any good at that either but that was years ago. First day played on here reached 48th place in a tournament and won a bit of money and I managed to knock Geldy out! I had no knowledge of how others played who they were or what their reputaion was, don't get me wrong I was scared to bits but somehow I managed to play and win a bit of cash.

Threatened under pain of death by Rose to join TPT, I did so and haven't really looked back. So blame Rose for me being on here lol. My game still leaves a lot to be desired and I must confuddle a lot of you who I play. Since starting on here I am no longer scared of having big stacks, playing big stacks, being the short stack or anything else. Still a bit wary about somethings but that will come with time. The help and support that has been given to me since I've started here has been phenomenal. Would like to thank you all but I think the list would go on for a very long time so consider yourself all thanked here :)

My game has progressed very rapidly from being a donk to reaching the bubble being the bubble girl a few times and then to ending up on a few final tables and winning small amounts of cash all in such a short space of time. I know i'm a chatterbox on the tables but it's my only form of release and I have fun doing it. Sorry to the other players that I annoy that's just me. I am mischevious and I am nearly always laughing at one thing or another, my only form of release, either that or would be crying.

Never in a million years would I have thought I would do what i've done and get to nottingham. Didn't think I would ever stand a chance of going to achieve something as big as this. I don't care which team you play for or even if your an independent player. I will always say NH, GG, WP etc etc, even if you knock me out! I learn from it and move on. As for Tilting? what's that? Doesn't do anyone any good what so ever so just sit out a few hands, learn from my mistakes and play again.

Apparently, so I've been told by a few people who I was railing last night in the semi's, I'm the people champion! I find that so funny. I'm not a champion at all, just someone who plays poker for fun and to engage in converstation with other adults instead of talking or shouting at 4 walls. If you've got kids you will know what i'm saying. Please don't put me on a pedastal because I feel as though I don't deserve it. There are many more players more deserving of it. To me it's just so surreal it's a dream, I'm living in a dream bubble and it could burst at any time. Think all of the forum knows me now, is that a good thing or a bad thing, make your own mind up then tell me lol. 

My expectations of playing live in nottingham............to be honest I am really scared out of my wits. I haven't really got any apart from not being the one to go out first. What will be will be and I am joking when I say I'm going to TID. So no expectations on my part just take it a minute at a time.

Hopefully I will manage to play at Milton Keynes if I managed to reg in time that is and if there's any seats left. Was intending not to play but looks like my hand has been forced to earlier than I ever thought it would be. So for those who's table I end up sat on please bare with me if I make a load of mistakes which I am sure I will do. So will be doing updates from my first ever live (hopefully) game on Saturday at MK.

Sorry about my ramblings and if you've read this the whole way through you deserve a medal. lol

• edited June 2015
    So here it is, the night before Milton Keynes and I meet up with a load of people off sky! So early night me thinks could be in order cos am shattered. To make things worse my battery on my phone wont charge so haven't got a phone! Running round like a headless chuck in the morning just praying that the batteries fried and nothing else. I've had a few roller coaster days, up and down but can't have it all ways.

I don't really know how I feel about tomorrow. Apprehensive? Nervous? Scared out of my wits? or maybe all three. Not only about playing live but meeting up with all the players. Still doesn't seem real what's happend. Am sure I will be sat at the tables in Notts saying to myself this is not real, this is not real..........lol wouldn't be first time, certainly don't think it will be the last it's said either.

Finally told friends what I've been doing for past few months and explained exactly what i'd done. First off the look on their faces was pure shock, then the laughing started, then the congratulations. All they said to me is that i'm a nutter and it could only happen to me. Also finally and hopefully some good luck coming my way after the start to the year and couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Hmmmmm

Well Milton Keynes here we come. Better try and get a sat nav now as haven't got a phone so that's something else will have to run around and try and get! Things are sent to try us and try us they do. Will get there sat nav or not. So all those that are there today have fun, am sure you will. Good luck on the tables and will see everyone who's going down tomorrow too. If it is my battery there could be updates from MK if it's not your going to have to wait.............lol
  • edited June 2015
    Gl Donna
    I'm sure you'll have a blast tomorrow.
    Be lucky & Run good 
    Mick x
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks Mick.

Can anything else go wrong!! Now my babyliss curling thing has decided to pack up! AAAAAARGH Am I meant to go to MK..........I really don't know. But will be going anyway. Already read of some nice cashes from those that are down there. Also of Tash and Hendo getting to a FT! Had a practice on a fr this morning. Had quite a large stack then the Chip leader decides to go all in. I went with him. His cards AQ my cards A 10. Then the racing......nothing came on the flop to help me out so was out. Oh well never mind well easy come easy go. Was still happy enough as played well up till that point. Least now could concentrate on getting ready for later. Let's hope nothing else goes wrong this morning or will be tearing my hair out............what's left of it that is. lol
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks Mick. Can anything else go wrong!! Now my babyliss curling thing has decided to pack up! AAAAAARGH Am I meant to go to MK..........I really don't know. But will be going anyway. Already read of some nice cashes from those that are down there. Also of Tash and Hendo getting to a FT! Had a practice on a fr this morning. Had quite a large stack then the Chip leader decides to go all in. I went with him. His cards AQ my cards A 10. Then the racing......nothing came on the flop to help me out so was out. Oh well never mind well easy come easy go. Was still happy enough as played well up till that point. Least now could concentrate on getting ready for later. Let's hope nothing else goes wrong this morning or will be tearing my hair out............what's left of it that is. lol
    Posted by Darkangel7
    If you fall and twist your ankle running up the MK steps its going to look scripted.
  • edited June 2015
    Am her now all safe and Sound after having to buy a new phone. Knocked Matty out first oops sorry matty xx 
  • edited June 2015
    gl dark tid i will be rading this theard and sure we will see results coming u way.
  • edited June 2015
    Can keep you semi updated when I go back to Casino if she wants to concentrate. She hit a nice flop against me lets just say that. Use my chips wisely Donna!
  • edited June 2015
    Am out. But I lasted till after the first break. So am really happy that I achieved my initial goal. So sorry once again matty. Not bad for my first ever tourney. Great people on my tables. Not met everyone else yet. After this mornings debacle am surprised I even got here. Going to do later one at 7. So will have another go. Can't find my normal glasses so stuck with sunnies. Hope I can find am for driving back. 
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Olive, sounds like you were in a right tizzy before u got to MK lol.

Glad you decided to play, will be good practice for DTD.

Hopefully by now you will have met all the peeps you have only known online, and realised they are twice as mad in real life as they are on Sky.

Hope you've had a great time today, only sad that I am not there to enjoy it with the rest of you guys n gals.

• edited June 2015
    champion
    that's all i can say
    nice write up Donna
    gl for Nottingham