You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT?

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat
                                            Hi all,
                                                    Was talking to a random guy in a pub the other night and he says he does well playing Sit n Go's on a diferent site cos he says hes multi registrered.
                                                                                         He says that he has access to 3 different wifi access points and that hes used different names etc.
                                                       Can this happen or was he talking nonsence?
                                                                                                                       Jim

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I know 3 players that have more than one account on Sky. They say its a family member that owns the other account but its actually them that uses it. 

One of them uses two accounts so people dont get overly familiar weith their style,so they switch ids every fortnight or so.

No Im not one of them!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT?:
    I know 3 players that have more than one account on Sky. They say its a family member that owns the other account but its actually them that uses it.  One of them uses two accounts so people dont get overly familiar weith their style,so they switch ids every fortnight or so. No Im not one of them!
    Posted by gerardirl
    Surely this wouldnt be allowed

Are you not GerardGirl sometimes :))))
  • edited September 2015
    Its against the rules to have more than one account , but obviously if you advise your wife is one of the players how do they know if its your wife logging in or you?

Ger
  • edited September 2015
    I know 3 players that have more than one account on Sky. They say its a family member that owns the other account but its actually them that uses it.  One of them uses two accounts so people dont get overly familiar weith their style,so they switch ids every fortnight or so. No Im not one of them!
    Posted by gerardirl
    Presumably you've reported it to sky?
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : Presumably you've reported it to sky?
    Posted by Lambert180
                                                Hi;
                                                   Says he uses Poker Stars n didn't give his site name or I would've thrown him under the proverbial bus!
                         Jim
  • edited September 2015
    Posted by gerardirl
    I would obviously like to hear more.
  • edited September 2015

I think there needs to be a real concerted effort by online poker sites to raise awareness of issues such as this. 

Playing micro stakes games recently there are tonnes of people playing under alias's such a "DanandJane"  "steveNJill" etc*

I'm sure these people aren't setting out to 'cheat' they are just new and don't understand that they are breaking the rules by sharing accounts. 

6/7 years ago when I began playing online I had 4/5 different accounts on williamhill before I knew I was breaking any site rules. 

How are people new to the game supposed to know? 

* I have made these names up as examples. 
  • edited September 2015
    I think there needs to be a real concerted effort by online poker sites to raise awareness of issues such as this.  Playing micro stakes games recently there are tonnes of people playing under alias's such a "DanandJane"  "steveNJill" etc* I'm sure these people aren't setting out to 'cheat' they are just new and don't understand that they are breaking the rules by sharing accounts.  6/7 years ago when I began playing online I had 4/5 different accounts on williamhill before I knew I was breaking any site rules.  How are people new to the game supposed to know?  * I have made these names up as examples. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    100% agree with that. They just don't realise it is improper, & they genuinely don't set out to deceive, they even mention it openly on here sometimes.  

They don't gain anything either, as it happens, but people get extremely emotive about the topic.

Multi-accounting for deception, & multi-accounting due to ignorance are not the same. Common-sense needs to be applied in resolving these matters.
  • edited September 2015
    A frustrating thing for me online is the number of players who return to a site under a new alias. There were a couple of players a while ago who were banned for collusion and then reappeared. They were eventually banned again but not before they had won significant amounts of cash. It does seem so easy to do and little In the way of penalty if caught out.

How many more are there out there doing this?

I appreciate that it must be really difficult for sites to stop this and often vigilance from players is required to spot it. I guess up until recently players were signing up under new aliases with affiliates as well.

Although it can't ever be accepted it does sometimes make you wonder if it's better the devil you know. 

• edited September 2015
    A frustrating thing for me online is the number of players who return to a site under a new alias. There were a couple of players a while ago who were banned for collusion and then reappeared. They were eventually banned again but not before they had won significant amounts of cash. It does seem so easy to do and little In the way of penalty if caught out. How many more are there out there doing this? I appreciate that it must be really difficult for sites to stop this and often vigilance from players is required to spot it. I guess up until recently players were signing up under new aliases with affiliates as well. Although it can't ever be accepted it does sometimes make you wonder if it's better the devil you know. 
    Posted by Jac35

yeah, fully agree with this, I reported someone about a year ago who admitted to Multi-accounting, they were playing under a very obscure name ie "jfkhbsr" for what its worth i think sky too action and banned them but, about a month later, i was playing against someone whos names was "jfkhbsr1" who was equally as brash in the chatbox and happened to live in the same town, I did mention it to sky and they said they were doing nothing wrong.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I would obviously like to hear more.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    Not meaning it funny dan but what is the point in us reporting it when it appears very little is done about it.
    Can you remember this from a few months back....

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a87b8ad78-5b16-43dd-a443-8a30db84b2b0&plckCurrentPage=2

This was so blatant at the time yet one of the names still play on site and i know ger has reported said person as he told me about him years ago.(and i dont think ger likes him very much

Got too agree with dohs point as well there is a difference from doing it too cheat and  not really understanding that it is not allowed.

Also it must be very hard for sky too catch these people and prove without a doubt that these people are acctually breaking the rules which i suppose sky must be 100% certain off before they can take action.
  • edited September 2015
    How many more are there out there doing this? I appreciate that it must be really difficult for sites to stop this and often vigilance from players is required to spot it.
    Posted by Jac35
    I know Sky is against HUD's and I'm glad for that in a way because I prefer poker without them. However, I know that on sites that allow them the players themselves have been able to put in the legwork to detect players that are breaking the rules in some form or other (a recent example being the bots have been found on some other sites) 

By being able to see a players stats you can see if there are similar tendancies that show up that indicate they might be the same player. 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I know Sky is against HUD's and I'm glad for that in a way because I prefer poker without them. However, I know that on sites that allow them the players themselves have been able to put in the legwork to detect players that are breaking the rules in some form or other (a recent example being the bots have been found on some other sites)  By being able to see a players stats you can see if there are similar tendancies that show up that indicate they might be the same player. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I would imagine that that would be very difficult to prove.

One other thought. Sharkscope seems to get a lot of criticism on here but it's invaluable for detecting collusion
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : Not meaning it funny dan but what is the point in us reporting it when it appears very little is done about it.
    Posted by churchy18

I would like to think we have improved in this area recently - in fact I know we have. We have strict timeframes to reply to any complaints/suspend any confirmed cheaters.

The case you mention was dealt with - yes it dragged on perhaps a little too long but we resolved it in a way we felt proper.

I disagree that nothing will be done about it - my background is in preventing fraud, there is nobody else working at Sky Poker who wants to clamp down on this more than me.

If you've got any concerns report it to Customer Care, send me a PM, I don't mind. But we will definitely look into it.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I would imagine that that would be very difficult to prove. One other thought. Sharkscope seems to get a lot of criticism on here but it's invaluable for detecting collusion
    Posted by Jac35
    Agree, it can be useful.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I would imagine that that would be very difficult to prove. One other thought. Sharkscope seems to get a lot of criticism on here but it's invaluable for detecting collusion
    Posted by Jac35
    It would be impossible for us to prove; however, it would make it easier for us to report suspicous players to Sky (particularly if we collaberated together and all reported suspicious players) - that way Sky could look into them themselves. 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I would like to think we have improved in this area recently - in fact I know we have. We have strict timeframes to reply to any complaints/suspend any confirmed cheaters. The case you mention was dealt with - yes it dragged on perhaps a little too long but we resolved it in a way we felt proper. I disagree that nothing will be done about it - my background is in preventing fraud, there is nobody else working at Sky Poker who wants to clamp down on this more than me. If you've got any concerns report it to Customer Care, send me a PM, I don't mind. But we will definitely look into it.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    The problem is a historic one where instances have been brought to light and in the specific example I can think of a small ban was given. They said on the forum the used another account as their one was "running bad" then they announced on twitter they had won a large event. I know you cant go in detail about this case but this is the issue you have as perception is very important regarding issues like this. While you say you have improved lately (and I have no reason to doubt this), its hard for long term regs to know this and they will base their views on their experience. 

• edited September 2015
    I have reported one of them on a few occasions and everyone on the plo8 tables is aware of this one. 

I cannot say for certain but Im pretty sure the two accounts are registered under two different names (i suspect his wife) yet he just plays under the two ids. He doesnt play with both ids on one table but if he loses in a tournament he rebuys in as late reg on the other id.

The other two I have not reported as they dont play with these two ids on the same table or the same tournament and I genuinely feel these two have done it innocently.

Ger
  • edited September 2015
    I have reported one of them on a few occasions and everyone on the plo8 tables is aware of this one.  I cannot say for certain but Im pretty sure the two accounts are registered under two different names (i suspect his wife) yet he just plays under the two ids. He doesnt play with both ids on one table but if he loses in a tournament he rebuys in as late reg on the other id. The other two I have not reported as they dont play with these two ids on the same table or the same tournament and I genuinely feel these two have done it innocently. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
                                                     Hi,
                                                         I'd be interested to know how sky dealt with the ones you reported as it seems,from previous threads,they're quite passive when they should be launching the book!Bans,sanctions etc.
                                                                                                                                                 Run well m8,
                                                                                                                                                                   J im
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : The problem is a historic one where instances have been brought to light and in the specific example I can think of a small ban was given. They said on the forum the used another account as their one was "running bad" then they announced on twitter they had won a large event. I know you cant go in detail about this case but this is the issue you have as perception is very important regarding issues like this. While you say you have improved lately (and I have no reason to doubt this), its hard for long term regs to know this and they will base their views on their experience. 
    Posted by MattBates
    Yo Big Man.

I know it sounds like rhetoric, but when Dan said above "we have improved in this area recently", they really have.

Players often report suspicious behaviour on the Tables to me (by PM), & I send the info Upstairs. It was not always the case that I got a reply, or, it seemed to me, action was taken. I just never knew. Of late, since Dan has been in town, he acknowledges my notes, & gets to work immediately. He does not tell me the reasoning, nor should he, but does let me know when action has been taken.

Response is now fast & where appropriate, decisive. 

• edited September 2015

CORRECTION & APOLOGY

My previous reply, to MattBates, began "Yo Big Man".

This, of course, was an error, & I apologise.

• edited September 2015

Just to repeat the previous advice from Sky_Dan, & myself.

If you have ANY concerns at to players multi-accounting, behaving improperly on the site, chat abuse, whatever, send a PM to Sky-Dan. I promise he will investigate it quickly & thoroughly.

Do NOT "name names" on the Community under any circumstances. There have been plenty of instances where improper allegations have been made, & innocent players have had their names sullied. The internet is not written in pencil, once you make an accusation, it can't be deleted, it is there forever.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? :                                                  Hi,                                                      I'd be interested to know how sky dealt with the ones you reported as it seems,from previous threads,they're quite passive when they should be launching the book!Bans,sanctions etc.                                                                                                                                              Run well m8,                                                                                                                                                                J im
    Posted by GILLS69
    They are not passive, & they are very pro-active & responsive.

Sky Poker, however, will NOT make known on the Community what actions they have taken as to specific individuals.

If you have concerns in this area, send a PM to Sky_Dan.
  • edited September 2015
    what are you doing up at this time in the morning?
  • edited September 2015
    what are you doing up at this time in the morning?
    Posted by robertod
    I get up at 5am every morning, always have done. First 2 hours, whilst it is blissfully quiet, I reply to all the overnight PM's, e-Mails, sort Free Entries, that sort of thing. I've replied to 4 PM's & sent 11 e-Mails so far this morning, now I'm catching up on Community stuff.

Early afternoon, I head off to the Gym, just for an hour or so.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I get up at 5am every morning, always have done. First 2 hours, whilst it is blissfully quiet, I reply to all the overnight PM's, e-Mails, sort Free Entries, that sort of thing. I've replied to 4 PM's & sent 11 e-Mails so far this morning, now I'm catching up on Community stuff.   Early afternoon, I head off to the Gym, just for an hour or so.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Do you serve lunch there?
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? :                                                  Hi,                                                      I'd be interested to know how sky dealt with the ones you reported as it seems,from previous threads,they're quite passive when they should be launching the book!Bans,sanctions etc.                                                                                                                                              Run well m8,                                                                                                                                                                J im
    Posted by GILLS69
    Passive? Me? Never!

I would love to do some kind of video/article about collusion and the type of things we do - other sites have done similar things and I think they are good education for players and help improve integrity. We may get something done sooner rather than later.

In a nutshell, if you're found to be colluding with another player you are going to be permanently banned. There's no 3 strikes and you're out. You're just out.

With regards to multi-accounting, the above may happen or a temporary ban may be enforced.

It's quite a difficult one sometimes because say for example Mr Joe Bloggs has a wife and they both play poker. They play similar stakes, similar games and you become concerned that it may be one person using both accounts. You talk to both players, try to ascertain whether they 'understand' the game etc. They can both answer your questions with at least some basic knowledge of poker and can confirm the activity on their individual accounts. 

You might still have doubts, so you look at:

1) betting patterns
    2) chat box history - do they say similar things/use similar language
    3) correspondence with our customer care team

And then you ask yourself, 'if these accounts are to remain open what impact is it having on other players?' We want to protect genuine players from any wrongdoing.

I hope that gives you a bit more insight about the kind of things that we look for.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I get up at 5am every morning, always have done. First 2 hours, whilst it is blissfully quiet, I reply to all the overnight PM's, e-Mails, sort Free Entries, that sort of thing. I've replied to 4 PM's & sent 11 e-Mails so far this morning, now I'm catching up on Community stuff.   Early afternoon, I head off to the Gym, just for an hour or so.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Speaking of free entries, I've been put in tonights 9.30 £11 BH but I can't play it. I did leave a message on the Orfordable thread a few days but it must have been missed.

Is it possible to give this seat to someone else? Don't want it to go to waste.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : Speaking of free entries, I've been put in tonights 9.30 £11 BH but I can't play it. I did leave a message on the Orfordable thread a few days but it must have been missed. Is it possible to give this seat to someone else? Don't want it to go to waste.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'll have it
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: MULTI-REGISTRATION/MYTH OR FACT? : I'll have it
    Posted by Jac35
    Anyone but him please Tikay.