You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Leak

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat
A couple of years ago, I produced some videos that satired the weekly news. They seemed funny at the time, but age has not been kind to them. The title for the videos was 'Newsleak'. Thet featured some creative input from a few other people and was a great experience.
However, it was getting too tight to come up with a decent script, edit pictures, record the, albiet short, live portion and then glue it all together on a PC.
Times change and so do interests. I've been wanting to Twitch some poker for a while. I've done some tests and can at least manage to get a decent screen up.
Having watched a number of Twitch poker streams, it seems the best ones are either a) Informative b) Hosted by a well-known person or c) A great host.

To throw my hat into the ring, I've decided to do a short stream this Friday. It should start around 7pm and last half an hour. It will involve some poker, some chat and maybe some laughs. To avoid the start date being forever delayed, I will go with what I've got. Ready or not.

Even if no-one really wants to watch the broadcast, it would be appreciated if one or two Sky regs could tune in, just to offer feedback after.

I'll confirm the details later in the week. If anyone has any suggestions of how to fill the 30 minutes (other than being a calling satation), feel free to message me.

Cheers,

Bench

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I'll be trying to set 30 mins aside to watch this.
  • edited September 2015
    Do we need twitch accounts?

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak:
    Do we need twitch accounts?
    Posted by mumsie
    No.

Twitch is a bit like Youtube. You can watch streams without an account, but if you do open one you can personalise it with your favourite channels, get notifications, stuff like that.
  • edited September 2015
    Twich is great for watching poker. If you have a smart TV, or have a USB thingymajig (such as ROKU*), you can view it through your TV. Been excellent watching the Barcelona EPT live all week on a decent sized screen.

*other thingymajigs are available.
  • edited September 2015
    I'll watch, I'm interested in how we could use Twitch going forward.
  • edited September 2015
    I'll certainly be able to demonstrate the pitfalls.
  • edited September 2015
    Glgl with it, think I'm gonna be getting back on the Twitch bandwagon myself soon, but will try and mix it up/make it a bit more fun if I can than just pure grinds.

My only suggestion would be that 30 mins is vvvv short. People are people, and just bound to turn up a bit late etc, so you might not start getting decent viewing figures until you're virtually done for the night.
  • edited September 2015
    Yeah, I appreciate that. I was watching easywithaces for a while yesterday. I learned a bit from his poker. Trust me, 30 minutes is more than enough to pass on my skills. I'll have to see how it goes. I'm not intending it to be a grinding session, more of a, well we'll see. I don't want to pigeonhole it just yet. Rather take some feedback and let it evolve.
  • edited September 2015
    I won't be able to watch it live, but I trust twitch has a way of storing previous broadcasts so I can still catch up?
  • edited September 2015
    I'm not sure. I think it is possible, but I'm not that far advanced yet. However, I do have a back-up plan, where I either capture or re-record the talky bits, then add in graphical hand plays instead of the live action, allowing a proper review.

This is just a test broadcast, if it works, there will be others. If not, there probably will still be others as I enjoy using to learn new stuff anyway.
  • edited September 2015
    I won't be able to watch it live, but I trust twitch has a way of storing previous broadcasts so I can still catch up?
    Posted by YoungUn
    Yeah, on someone's Twitch profile there is a section 'Past Broadacasts' and all broadcasts will appear in there to be watched for a week or two after they went live then they get deleted.

However, the host, can choose to 'Highlight' any of these past broadcasts (or segments of them) and then they'll stay there forever. Here's mine to give you an idea :p

• ommomm
    edited September 2015
    I'll watch, I'm interested in how we could use Twitch going forward.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    I think the best thing sky can do is have a Sky poker twitch channel and host/invite people to watch them play, could be a dedicated forum thread where people can register an interest, I'm sure there would be a few that wants to try it and some that enjoy watching.

As well as this it can re run episodes of what it has recorded for YouTube and even do live reporting from UKPC (all u need is an iPad).

Really think sky is missing out on a potentially massive market which is only going to grow, lots and lots of scope with twitch which can really help bring the forum/regulars and sky closer together.
  • ommomm
    edited September 2015
    Glgl with it, think I'm gonna be getting back on the Twitch bandwagon myself soon, but will try and mix it up/make it a bit more fun if I can than just pure grinds. My only suggestion would be that 30 mins is vvvv short. People are people, and just bound to turn up a bit late etc, so you might not start getting decent viewing figures until you're virtually done for the night.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Depends what u want from Twich Paul, I  watch twitch most nights I'm playing (and during the day), the most successful ones are the guys that broadcast consistently or have a timetable when u know they are going to be on, no point someone subbing if you are then not on air for the rest of the month. 

I tuned into your channel a few times and of course u will find what suits u and the audience best by trail and error, Somerville will only 1 table but talks through lots of spots and gives all his reasoning where Staples will 4 table but it takes a while to get use to the volume on screen. If u want to twitch ad hoc u will not get many viewers and there will be no loyalty wheatears if u want to treat it as part of your poker grind your following will be built up over time and will creat loyalty. All IMO of course. 

Anyway Goodluck Bench in your test, I'm sure from seeing your spoof videos u will do absolutely fine. I'll try and tune in. 
  • edited September 2015
    Don't get me wrong, my aim is to play the best poker I can. Will fill in the slow bits with 'stuff'.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak : I think the best thing sky can do is have a Sky poker twitch channel and host/invite people to watch them play, could be a dedicated forum thread where people can register an interest, I'm sure there would be a few that wants to try it and some that enjoy watching. As well as this it can re run episodes of what it has recorded for YouTube and even do live reporting from UKPC (all u need is an iPad). Really think sky is missing out on a potentially massive market which is only going to grow, lots and lots of scope with twitch which can really help bring the forum/regulars and sky closer together.
    Posted by omm
    +1

Totally free to do, Sky should get it up and running asap.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak : Depends what u want from Twich Paul, I  watch twitch most nights I'm playing (and during the day), the most successful ones are the guys that broadcast consistently or have a timetable when u know they are going to be on, no point someone subbing if you are then not on air for the rest of the month.  I tuned into your channel a few times and of course u will find what suits u and the audience best by trail and error, Somerville will only 1 table but talks through lots of spots and gives all his reasoning where Staples will 4 table but it takes a while to get use to the volume on screen. If u want to twitch ad hoc u will not get many viewers and there will be no loyalty wheatears if u want to treat it as part of your poker grind your following will be built up over time and will creat loyalty. All IMO of course.  Anyway Goodluck Bench in your test, I'm sure from seeing your spoof videos u will do absolutely fine. I'll try and tune in. 
    Posted by omm
    Think you're spot on. Can't do it half heartedly if you wanna get a big following. Gotta go big or go home.
  • edited September 2015
    'Promo' pic I knocked up last night has been approved ^
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak : +1 Totally free to do, Sky should get it up and running asap.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I am sure this argument has been had before on the forum but it is by no means free. 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak : I am sure this argument has been had before on the forum but it is by no means free. 
    Posted by MattBates

I've always assumed that it is free, though?

I watch a lot of Casey Jarzebeks (Bigdogpckt5) stream and he uses his laptops webcam and mic and free software and thats it??

Or am I missing something...
  • edited September 2015
    Although it is a great idea to be able to watch Sky's finest on Twitch, it is fraught with problems. Not necessarily impossible to overcome. Sky would have a reputation to maintain, which would involve ensuring compliance to a code of conduct by any players taking part. The stream may even have to be re-routed through Sky itself, to allow them to moderate. There are endless possibilities.

GPI ran a few tests earlier this year. Might be worth someone at Sky taking a look at those...

It would be great for there to be a regular stream by different players under the Sky umbrella. It's still early days for Twitch, so it may yet happen.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak : I've always assumed that it is free, though? I watch a lot of Casey Jarzebeks (Bigdogpckt5) stream and he uses his laptops webcam and mic and free software and thats it?? Or am I missing something...
    Posted by Epoker

If sky are putting their name to something then they need to ensure the quality is of an appropriate standard. 

A sky employee would therefore have to be involved, they seem to like to get paid at the end of the month so there is a cost there. Also, its not just the case of needing one employee involved as it will need input from senior members of the sky team to ensure the content was in line with the overall plan etc. This would need constant monitoring too. 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Poker Leak : If sky are putting their name to something then they need to ensure the quality is of an appropriate standard.  A sky employee would therefore have to be involved, they seem to like to get paid at the end of the month so there is a cost there. Also, its not just the case of needing one employee involved as it will need input from senior members of the sky team to ensure the content was in line with the overall plan etc. This would need constant monitoring too. 
    Posted by MattBates
    if this is the case, then why did they invite you on to the show?
  • edited September 2015

That'll be the same Casey Jarzabek who forgot to close down his Twitch stream at the end of a session and accidentally broadcast 'adult entertainment' (the word I want to use isn't allowed, it begins with 'p' and ends with 'orn'), getting himself banned from Twitch temporarily. Just one of the many potential pitfalls Sky would face if they allowed players to broadcast on some sort of official Sky Twitch account.

If a trusted popular player here streamed regularly and built an audience maybe Sky might want to be sponsors. Apart from that it's hard to see what else they can do with Twitch.

• edited September 2015
    Okay....

Just finished doing some prep work. I've managed to find the lever that allows you to record broadcasts, as it is turned off by default. Everything seems to be working okay. Just need to knock up some loosely scripted thoughts to keep things on track and avoid silent pauses between folds. Out for a couple of beers tomorrow, which usually loosens up my thought process. And some of my teeth, if I get home too late.
  • edited September 2015

My Twitch name is dognabbit
  • edited September 2015
    Just to clear up the slight date error. It is tonight, and I'll be either doing a £200 B/H or a £100 timed.
  • edited September 2015

good luck john

• edited September 2015
    That'll be the same Casey Jarzabek who forgot to close down his Twitch stream at the end of a session and accidentally broadcast 'adult entertainment' (the word I want to use isn't allowed, it begins with 'p' and ends with 'orn'), getting himself banned from Twitch temporarily. Just one of the many potential pitfalls Sky would face if they allowed players to broadcast on some sort of official Sky Twitch account. If a trusted popular player here streamed regularly and built an audience maybe Sky might want to be sponsors. Apart from that it's hard to see what else they can do with Twitch.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    It still cracks me up thinking about this. 

That morning (UK time) he was playing and streaming a poker session. 

I was watching, and when he finished he 'hosted' a fellow streamer. 

However I didn't turn over, and I saw him continue to be on the facecam, and was playing facebook games and replying to his emails and messages/

I thought this was pretty weird, so left it running until he turned the lights off in his room and left, leaving the computer on but the screen blank. 

I left, and came back to look at the twitch listings 3/4 hours later. 

On the thumbnail previewing his stream there was a well known AE site. :D 

It instantly clicked what had happened. 

Couldn't have happened to a better comedy figure either. <3

----

Good luck to bench and the--don on twitch tonight, im glad to see more people giving it a go :)
  • edited September 2015
    Just seen something, it stopped when you had AQ..was it supposed to ?