You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HUDs - a compromise?

13»

Comments

• edited September 2015
    +1 above

also, it's worth noting that this database won't actually be a guaranteed bot detector. It'll still be down to Sky to investigate the case throroughly to ensure they know the truth, so while it would help the investigation, it wouldn't help enough to justify the lengthy building time it'd take, which is essentially just money, and then all of the maintenance/upgrades/support etc. 

the reward is not there for sky, at all
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs - a compromise?:
    In Response to Re: HUDs - a compromise? : Two points on this. Firstly, what benefit is there to SkyPoker for doing this? Also, if you make data available, it makes it much more likely (inevitable?) that very clever, tech-savvy people, will be able to use this in a way that you don't want them to (HUD's etc...).
    As I've said; very little (as of now) and that's why I don't expect nor particularly want within the short term (next 2/3 years) 
    This is true, but more difficult to achieve if you avoid the flow of data, and therefore less likely to be used on any widespread basis.
    On your 2nd point above and this: I guess I'll take your word for it :) I don't really know how it might work. You'd still have to be very tech savvy to manipulate the data to create an on-screen HUD. How many people are tech savvy enough to do this and good poker players? (That can also use HUD data to it's best potential?) - I'd hazard a guess at a v.v small % of people. And of those people; if they are winning players now, are they going to risk creating a HUD when it "should" mean a perma ban if found out? Remember a HUD on a small site like Sky isn't really much of an advantage - it will enable you to play more tables more comfortably but that's about it.

If by REGs you mean full time players (Pro's) then they aren't the major concern. 

The key thing, IMO, is that recreational players feel as though they are getting a fair game. That's much more likely, if you avoid any add-on assistance. If you give data out, the Pro's will study it for hours, and the Rec's wont have time. The result of this is that the skill gap widens, and a recreational player feels as though they are at a bigger disadvantage.REC's still play on plenty of other sites with HUD's; so it doesn't put them off enough. What will put them off is if they find they are losing at a quicker rate: but that wouldn't happen since REG's will only be studying other REG's.

As for bots. I understand them less than I do HUD's, which means I don't, but I would imagine it's easier to get a bot to play winning poker if it has a good flow of data.
    Posted by jakallyVery good point to which I don't have a counter point/idea too. I guess I would agree now that it doesn't make any sense to make the data readily available.

On a seperate point: It would be nice (instead) to have just more stats on our game available.

• edited September 2015
    i dont see the difference between being able to upload your entire playing history to PT4 or HEM but just not being able to have that import running in game, and actually allowing real-time HUDs. if your point is that you wouldnt be able to import the data into PT4 then its completely useless for eg bot dectection as the abilty to run reports and compare playing styles is intrinsic to that process. you need an interface like HEM or PT4 to make sense of the raw data.

if you have access to the data and a poker software like PT4  then its a very simple thing to produce a HUD panel that simply displays lifetime data, or last 6 months data and keep it updated for villains in your player pool. you produce the panels in PT4 and save them as images in a speadsheet and look up the appropriate sheet when facing a villain

also you could produce very detailed population tendencies very quickly which would improve strategy v recreationals.

there is very little difference between having the database available and having an actual live HUD.

you wouldnt need to be tech savvy to exploit the information in the same way you would an actaul live HUD.