You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

This is why I love this place.......

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat

I was playing the Rewards Freeroll last night. I earn my points, & I'm on a challenge, so I play it because I earned it, & so any profits (a whole £16 so far) get added to my total.

As per, I said "hi, gl all" to the table.

A chap "rhono11" or similar (had some numbers behind the name, field address was Pudsey) replied "are you the old bloke off the telly?", bla bla, & so we got chatting.

He said "I'm surprised a big shot like you chats to little folks like us".

And so it went on. He seemed a lovely guy, just sitting there enjoying his Freeroll.

Then he suddenly said "do you know Matt Bates?"

"Yes yes".

"Well", he continued, "I had a funny hand against him last week, & I wrote to him about it. And guess what - he replied to me, & explained how to play the hand effectively".

Ain't that great? Elsewhere, the Pros are bickering about HUD's, "fish", & this that & the other, seemingly oblivious to the fact that us so-called "fish" are their customers, we are their income. 

My view is that the Pros & top players (Matt is not a Pro as such) SHOULD do things like that. Similar to the Trickett SNG @ DTD (thanks to Maxally).   

Anyway, well played Matt Bates. Poker will be fine if more of those top players had that attitude. And I see plenty of it here, on Sky Poker.

Comments

• edited September 2015
    In Response to This is why I love this place.......:
    I was playing the Rewards Freeroll last night. I earn my points, & I'm on a challenge, so I play it because I earned it, & so any profits (a whole £16 so far) get added to my total.   As per, I said "hi, gl all" to the table. A chap "rhono11" or similar (had some numbers behind the name, field address was Pudsey) replied "are you the old bloke off the telly?", bla bla, & so we got chatting. He said "I'm surprised a big shot like you chats to little folks like us".   And so it went on. He seemed a lovely guy, just sitting there enjoying his Freeroll. Then he suddenly said "do you know Matt Bates?" "Yes yes". "Well", he continued, "I had a funny hand against him last week, & I wrote to him about it. And guess what - he replied to me, & explained how to play the hand effectively".   Ain't that great? Elsewhere, the Pros are bickering about HUD's, "fish", & this that & the other, seemingly oblivious to the fact that us so-called "fish" are their customers, we are their income.  My view is that the Pros & top players (Matt is not a Pro as such) SHOULD do things like that. Similar to the Trickett SNG @ DTD (thanks to Maxally).    Anyway, well played Matt Bates. Poker will be fine if more of those top players had that attitude. And I see plenty of it here, on Sky Poker.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    there is plenty of help on here for everyone ,all you have to do is ask for it ,great to see the better players on here taking time out to help us recreational players
  • edited September 2015
    There are lot of very nice people on sky. In December last year I was on the final table of a Mini Roller and someone called 'StayOrGo' was there. I only had one sharkscope search left at the time but his name intrigued me so I used it on him. I realised how good he was when i saw his graph. He had been friendly in the chat  so when I busted I just asked him in the chat how is best to go about improving at the game.
    He ended up emailing me a poker guide he'd originally made for his son and after a bit of back and forth with emails he added me on skype where he essentially coached me (For Free!) and taught me how to play his style. He spent many many hours of his time looking over hands and discussing strategy and poker in general for absolutly no gain to himself and helped me to improve my game massively.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to This is why I love this place.......:
    I was playing the Rewards Freeroll last night. I earn my points, & I'm on a challenge, so I play it because I earned it, & so any profits (a whole £16 so far) get added to my total.   As per, I said "hi, gl all" to the table. A chap "rhono11" or similar (had some numbers behind the name, field address was Pudsey) replied "are you the old bloke off the telly?", bla bla, & so we got chatting. He said "I'm surprised a big shot like you chats to little folks like us".   And so it went on. He seemed a lovely guy, just sitting there enjoying his Freeroll. Then he suddenly said "do you know Matt Bates?" "Yes yes". "Well", he continued, "I had a funny hand against him last week, & I wrote to him about it. And guess what - he replied to me, & explained how to play the hand effectively".   Ain't that great? Elsewhere, the Pros are bickering about HUD's, "fish", & this that & the other, seemingly oblivious to the fact that us so-called "fish" are their customers, we are their income.  My view is that the Pros & top players (Matt is not a Pro as such) SHOULD do things like that. Similar to the Trickett SNG @ DTD (thanks to Maxally).    Anyway, well played Matt Bates. Poker will be fine if more of those top players had that attitude. And I see plenty of it here, on Sky Poker.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Old? OLD?

How rude.
  • edited September 2015
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place.......:
    There are lot of very nice people on sky. In December last year I was on the final table of a Mini Roller and someone called 'StayOrGo' was there. I only had one sharkscope search left at the time but his name intrigued me so I used it on him. I realised how good he was when i saw his graph. He had been friendly in the chat  so when I busted I just asked him in the chat how is best to go about improving at the game. He ended up emailing me a poker guide he'd originally made for his son and after a bit of back and forth with emails he added me on skype where he essentially coached me (For Free!) and taught me how to play his style. He spent many many hours of his time looking over hands and discussing strategy and poker in general for absolutly no gain to himself and helped me to improve my game massively.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    You're welcome Danny.

I knew you had potential and you would have got there on your own anyway. Maybe just a bit quicker with my help.

It's great to see how you have responded and your sharkscope graph speaks for itself mate. Well done!

Cheers,

Graham

P.S

Good stuff TK and Matt Bates, great attitude! Also so many of the top players on this site are giving to charity via a TLB competition. Great guys like Scotty77, rspca12, chicknMelt, GSmith13, Wacko90, TommyD, jawzindaws, MattBates, Bromley04/023, HITMANRV to name just a few. Also TK and Neil Channing have kindly sponsored us all too. So yes, great site, great people. I learned a lot from TK, Ryan, Neil and other Sky Analysts, so feel very privileged to be an active part of SkyPoker and the Community. If I can give a bit back and help others, then, that's the least I can do.
  • edited September 2015
    i echo what everybody says above,one of the good guys always helpful..and he can take the banter too
  • edited September 2015
    I love chatting to Rhino11, he's a really good person to chat to. All the players I chat to are. Also a lot of the sky players I've met in real life are amazingly funny and really down to earth.
  • edited September 2015
    I love chatting to Rhino11, he's a really good person to chat to. All the players I chat to are. Also a lot of the sky players I've met in real life are amazingly funny and really down to earth.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Fantastic stuff, nice1 Matt.

• edited September 2015

Well now, this story has legs.

Rhino11 (sorry I called him "rhono11", but I was 6 tabling when we chatted, & I get easily confused) sent me a PM. It would be improper to divulge all the contents, but he said a lot of other players had helped him too,  & he named the following who had been especially helpful (in addition to Matt Bates)....

Maxally

Rainman

"both" Bromleys. I assume that would be Adam, & the girlie one who supports Blackburn, can't recall her name.

He also thanked the following for being supportive on the rail.....

DarkAngel

Irish Rose

TenTenTen

• edited September 2015

Ain't that just great? They don't hoot & holler about it on the Forum, but here's a chap who has been helped by loads of different players.

I can't imagine that happening on too many poker sites. The portfolio of players on this site are a great bunch. The trolls & hecklers bark loudest, but the vast majority are good people.

• edited September 2015
    TY TK yes donna & rose are lovely & Rhino is a really nice guy & we all know the Rainman runs the best tourny on sky poker has anyone mentioned the 220@220 yet lol enjoy your double points weekend guys & gals i'm off to the bestival on the sunny south island lol
  • edited September 2015
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks for the kind words. From memory, the hand in question was a satellite one where I jammed a rag queen as it was good sat strat to do it but can look bad if you dont understand the rationale behind it. 

There are a lot of people who play on sky that help people and it can be seen as its in the clinic or their diary but a lot of stuff goes on via PM or skype/facebook etc where players help others. 
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks for the kind words. From memory, the hand in question was a satellite one where I jammed a rag queen as it was good sat strat to do it but can look bad if you dont understand the rationale behind it.  There are a lot of people who play on sky that help people and it can be seen as its in the clinic or their diary but a lot of stuff goes on via PM or skype/facebook etc where players help others. 
    Posted by MattBates
    So you shipped top of your range?

Nice one Matt, nice to see stuff like that.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : So you shipped top of your range? Nice one Matt, nice to see stuff like that.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I remember something similar happening to me on a table once.....got pmed a lot of good advice, unfortunately the baggage that has subsequently come with it probably made it -ev ;-)))))
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : I remember something similar happening to me on a table once.....got pmed a lot of good advice, unfortunately the baggage that has subsequently come with it probably made it -ev ;-)))))
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Getting stuck with the wench is deffo -ev.
  • edited September 2015
    Wonderful stuff.  

You don't get this cameraderie on any other poker site.  Usually it's just abuse and, on the one I play on most, tomatoes and eggs getting chucked around.

I like to think of Sky as the Gentleman's Club of poker sites.

GL all
  • edited September 2015
    Well now, this story has legs.   Rhino11 (sorry I called him "rhono11", but I was 6 tabling when we chatted, & I get easily confused) sent me a PM. It would be improper to divulge all the contents, but he said a lot of other players had helped him too,  & he named the following who had been especially helpful (in addition to Matt Bates).... Maxally Rainman "both" Bromleys. I assume that would be Adam, & the girlie one who supports Blackburn, can't recall her name.   He also thanked the following for being supportive on the rail..... DarkAngel Irish Rose TenTenTen                                                          
    Posted by Tikay10
    Omg Nat's gonna have you for that Tikay...............lmao Claret through and through ;)
  • edited September 2015
    Wonderful stuff.   You don't get this cameraderie on any other poker site.  Usually it's just abuse and, on the one I play on most, tomatoes and eggs getting chucked around. I like to think of Sky as the Gentleman's Club of poker sites. GL all
    Posted by TwoAnchors
    Some people pay good money for that sort of thing !
  • edited September 2015
    Wonderful stuff.   You don't get this cameraderie on any other poker site.  Usually it's just abuse and, on the one I play on most, tomatoes and eggs getting chucked around. I like to think of Sky as the Gentleman's Club of poker sites. GL all
    Posted by TwoAnchors

I once got dragged kicking and screaming to a Gentlemans evening. Not 100% sure that Sky would love that link
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : Some people pay good money for that sort of thing !
    Posted by VespaPX

Trust me ... I've just checked recent ROI and I've been paying more than enough for the service!

• edited September 2015
    Just to be clear - I meant Gentleman's Club from an atmospheric point of view rather than who was allowed in!  I'd like to see more ladies playing on Sky and everywhere else.

Phew!  Been having a worry that I may have been misunderstood there.

• edited September 2015
    Just to be clear - I meant Gentleman's Club from an atmospheric point of view rather than who was allowed in!  I'd like to see more ladies playing on Sky and everywhere else. Phew!  Been having a worry that I may have been misunderstood there.
    Posted by TwoAnchors
    I love the atmosphere in my local gentleman's club. It's why I frequent it on a regular basis. Just don't get that atmosphere in other establishments.
  • edited September 2015

As Mr Rhino's thread revealed just how many regulars here help out guys like him - which was a real revelation, & one you should all be proud of - Sky Poker have given Rhino11 a Free Entry into tonight's Turbo Tuesday Main Event.

I have written to him this morning to tell him, but he may not see it in time, so if any of you guys know him, or have him on Facebook or whatever, can you please make sure he is aware? Thanks.

I was going to ask some of you to rail him tonight, too, but there's no need - I'm certain you will.

Please wish him the best of luck from me, & explain that I'm working tonight, so can't rail him, but I hope he enjoys the experience, & has a fun night.

This stuff only happens on Sky Poker.

• edited September 2015
    Good morning Sir Tikay.
    Rhino sometimes plays the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack, if he is playing today, i will let him know.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited September 2015
    wd rm we all try & play ur tourny when we can man will look out for rh on the tables & rail him tonight ty tk
  • edited September 2015
    Good morning Sir Tikay. Rhino sometimes plays the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack, if he is playing today, i will let him know. All the best. Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397

Or maybe Tikay could pop alng and play the 2.20 today?????? Get a big field on the go!
  • edited September 2015
  • edited September 2015
    Exceelent idea, but i think Sir Tikay is busy today.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited September 2015
    Exceelent idea, but i think Sir Tikay is busy today. All the best. Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397
    Yes, am doing tonight's Show, but I will certainly be joining you one of these afternoons in the near future.