You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

This is why I love this place.......

2»

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Excellent  news, no luck finding Rhino, think he is having a day off.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited September 2015
    yes you just did & i've just been knocked out lol gl rm
  • edited September 2015
    good evening Sir Tikay.
    Rhino has reg for the freerolls at 7.00 and 7.30, so will tell him the good news.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place.......:
    As Mr Rhino's thread revealed just how many regulars here help out guys like him - which was a real revelation, & one you should all be proud of - Sky Poker have given Rhino11 a Free Entry into tonight's Turbo Tuesday Main Event. I have written to him this morning to tell him, but he may not see it in time, so if any of you guys know him, or have him on Facebook or whatever, can you please make sure he is aware? Thanks.   I was going to ask some of you to rail him tonight, too, but there's no need - I'm certain you will.   Please wish him the best of luck from me, & explain that I'm working tonight, so can't rail him, but I hope he enjoys the experience, & has a fun night.   This stuff only happens on Sky Poker.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    What a very nice gesture Tikay, I would love to rail tonight but I will be out rocking the night away and having fun and getting up to mischief. I am always on the rail as you may know, apparently chat explodes when I'm on. Is that good or bad I dont know. But I have fun either way. Good luck tonight to Rhino and to you all. I hope you run golden and run deep. Will check see if he's still in when get back.
  • edited September 2015
    Very nice gesture Tikay from yourself and Sky - I'm sure you probably prompted them lol

Hope Rhino runs golden tonight in Turbo - I will try to find him soon but my find a player seems to be playing up as it just comes up with blank screen.

Also like to agree that Sky players seem to be a bunch apart from other sites.  Lots of help, advice and encouragement on this site - not like the almost death threats I seem to invite on other sites..................
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to This is why I love this place.......:
    I was playing the Rewards Freeroll last night. I earn my points, & I'm on a challenge, so I play it because I earned it, & so any profits (a whole £16 so far) get added to my total.   As per, I said "hi, gl all" to the table. A chap "rhono11" or similar (had some numbers behind the name, field address was Pudsey) replied "are you the old bloke off the telly?", bla bla, & so we got chatting. He said "I'm surprised a big shot like you chats to little folks like us".   And so it went on. He seemed a lovely guy, just sitting there enjoying his Freeroll. Then he suddenly said "do you know Matt Bates?" "Yes yes". "Well", he continued, "I had a funny hand against him last week, & I wrote to him about it. And guess what - he replied to me, & explained how to play the hand effectively".   Ain't that great? Elsewhere, the Pros are bickering about HUD's, "fish", & this that & the other, seemingly oblivious to the fact that us so-called "fish" are their customers, we are their income.  My view is that the Pros & top players (Matt is not a Pro as such) SHOULD do things like that. Similar to the Trickett SNG @ DTD (thanks to Maxally).    Anyway, well played Matt Bates. Poker will be fine if more of those top players had that attitude. And I see plenty of it here, on Sky Poker.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    very inspirational, there are a few bad eggs on the tables though, one gave me a ripping into earlier for playing bad, maybe you could have little stars on your avatar showing how long you have been playing so us learners are given some leeway.

simon
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to This is why I love this place....... : very inspirational, there are a few bad eggs on the tables though, one gave me a ripping into earlier for playing bad, maybe you could have little stars on your avatar showing how long you have been playing so us learners are given some leeway. simon
    Posted by simopeters
    Sorry to hear this Simon, shame wasn't on your table as would have put them right. There in my eyes no right or wrong way to play a hand, each player plays differently and has different strengths and weaknesses. Constructive critisism when asked for it can be helpful, but I do not agree with ripping into any player for seemingly bad play. I take it they lost a lot of chips to you? I sometimes get ripped into as well but I take it all with a pinch of salt. Most of players I play now are used to my game or try and figure out how I play cos am usually changing it up or down.  I play my game my way good or bad play it's my way and no one elses. If everyone played poker by the books it would be boring. Keep your chin up and don't let them bother you. Don't rise to them either or give them any more ammunition. Keep doing what your doing. Good luck on the tables
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to This is why I love this place....... : very inspirational, there are a few bad eggs on the tables though, one gave me a ripping into earlier for playing bad, maybe you could have little stars on your avatar showing how long you have been playing so us learners are given some leeway. simon
    Posted by simopeters
    Good morning simopeters.
    Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the tables,
    You pay your money and can play any way you like, if you are available try the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack it runs every afternoon, and 99% of players are very helpful and fun to play.
    If you pm me i can send you the book THE MENTAL GAME OF POKER,
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited September 2015
    yes wd rm you just did see you in todays 220@220
  • edited September 2015

I was sort of hoping the guy was gonna say...

"Anyway that Bates said I should have just called the 3-bet with an AJ" "I mean what an absolute donk, it's obv with the range the guy was repping I am in a clear 4b 6b spot" "The regs on here are such morons" etc etc
  • edited September 2015
     I was sort of hoping the guy was gonna say...  "Anyway that Bates said I should have just called the 3-bet with an AJ" "I mean what an absolute donk, it's obv with the range the guy was repping I am in a clear 4b 6b spot" "The regs on here are such morons" etc etc
    Posted by NChanning
    Rhino would never say anything bad or mean about any players, he's a real gent and is fun to play on the tables and can have a real laugh in chat with him.

• edited September 2015
    and he also has a very thick skin lol
  • edited September 2015
    Posted by TENTENTEN
    BOOM BOOM.
  • edited September 2015
    Posted by TENTENTEN

lol, v good ;-)
  • edited September 2015
    30 wins the forum today, wp sir
  • edited September 2015

It's been pointed out to me that my post on this thread could look like I was slating poor old Rhino. I'm not generally in the habit of slating anyone, whether they play poker or not and even if I was a regular slater I'd definitely have quit doing it to regular players on Sky Poker on the day I became the Ambassador.

I'm baffled. I really thought I'd written something mildly amusing. It was a joke on the way that no good deed ever is allowed to be a good deed on the internet and that someone will always see the bad in it.

I guess that if someone has to point out the joke it couldn't have been that funny. I'm sorry, I'll go back to the old material. I just can't see how anyone could have been offended.

Anyway, sorry if anyone was.

As you were.
  • edited September 2015
     It's been pointed out to me that my post on this thread could look like I was slating poor old Rhino. I'm not generally in the habit of slating anyone, whether they play poker or not and even if I was a regular slater I'd definitely have quit doing it to regular players on Sky Poker on the day I became the Ambassador.    I'm baffled. I really thought I'd written something mildly amusing. It was a joke on the way that no good deed ever is allowed to be a good deed on the internet and that someone will always see the bad in it.  I guess that if someone has to point out the joke it couldn't have been that funny. I'm sorry, I'll go back to the old material. I just can't see how anyone could have been offended.  Anyway, sorry if anyone was.  As you were.
    Posted by NChanning
    Steady on Neil, I'd be VERY surprised if more than one or two did not get the very obvious joke. Don't worry about it. 

As you were.

There's only you & me & a few hardy souls on the Forum at this time of day anyway.

Now go get today's Sporting Life & give us a winner please.

• edited September 2015
    People do tend to get offended on this forum a tad too easily, so I wouldn't worry. The other week I was told to tone down my posts because I used the word "ludicrous"
  • edited September 2015

I simply can't understand how anyone could think Neil would be rude to a Sky Poker regular.

When we see a post that we think (at first sight) looks rude, surely we ask ourselves a question - is this man usually rude, does he have history for that, does he normally mock others?

And so we read it again, just to make sure.

Imagine, say, something that looked a vicious post from someone like Rainman. We know this guy is NEVER rude to anyone, so we'd read it again to make sure. And if unsure, give him the benefit of the doubt.

The internet is a very strange place indeed, it's almost as if people want to take offence & do the mock outrage thing we see on Twitter every day.

• edited September 2015
     I was sort of hoping the guy was gonna say...  "Anyway that Bates said I should have just called the 3-bet with an AJ" "I mean what an absolute donk, it's obv with the range the guy was repping I am in a clear 4b 6b spot" "The regs on here are such morons" etc etc
    Posted by NChanning
    Given this post was about me I feel I should comment. I thought it was a genuine dig at the 4b/6b part of my game. Having spent a week off work unpaid and paid a lot of money for intensive coaching to only find out now it was a joke is pretty upsetting. 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : Given this post was about me I feel I should comment. I thought it was a genuine dig at the 4b/6b part of my game. Having spent a week off work unpaid and paid a lot of money for intensive coaching to only find out now it was a joke is pretty upsetting. 
    Posted by MattBates

your russian roulette strategy is pretty awful too.

ps  imho

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : Rhino would never say anything bad or mean about any players, he's a real gent and is fun to play on the tables and can have a real laugh in chat with him.
    Posted by Darkangel7

Sorry but i was on a table with him the other night and he was calling everyone muppets and other things after losing a hand lol very nice guy!
  • edited September 2015
    This is why I love this place
  • edited September 2015
    I simply can't understand how anyone could think Neil would be rude to a Sky Poker regular. When we see a post that we think (at first sight) looks rude, surely we ask ourselves a question - is this man usually rude, does he have history for that, does he normally mock others? And so we read it again, just to make sure. Imagine, say, something that looked a vicious post from someone like Rainman. We know this guy is NEVER rude to anyone, so we'd read it again to make sure. And if unsure, give him the benefit of the doubt. The internet is a very strange place indeed, it's almost as if people want to take offence & do the mock outrage thing we see on Twitter every day.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree that things like name-calling and mocking are rude, but I do also think people on this forum get offended too easily. I think it sometimes depends on whether the forum regulars actually like the offender, too. For example, I have been told a few times that my posts come across "badly", when really all I ever try to do is give good advice, and if something somebody says, or does, is inadequate in my opinion(whether a poker hand or comment) then you can expect me to say something in most instances. So to continue the example, another forum reg decided to start the name-calling war which of course I didn't rise to, but does anything get said? It's not that I expect anything to get said, and nothing was said, but it's the double standards that quite a few people seem to have that's concerning.

I also worry that this kind of petty behaviour that occurs drives people away from the forum. C'est la vie homiez
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : Given this post was about me I feel I should comment. I thought it was a genuine dig at the 4b/6b part of my game. Having spent a week off work unpaid and paid a lot of money for intensive coaching to only find out now it was a joke is pretty upsetting. 
    Posted by MattBates
    YBA.

That is going to prompt me to bring out of retirement something I don't use too often, the tikay 7 bet.

RAISE
  • edited September 2015
    I don't believe that Neil needs defending, I certainly got the humour in his post, but i will anyway...

Now apart from the fact he wouldn't look as nice in a daringly cut swimsuit, shall we compare Neil to his predecessor as Sky Ambo?

As well as repping skypoker well at live events and on the TV shows, the videos from vegas were brilliant (even accounting for the dress sense of his co-host). He has also contributed plenty to the forum and even turns out in our humble little community events (220 at 220, PLO8 league and the HUFA cup to name but 3).

Plus if you want to know what Neil thinks about manners at the tables, see here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw9jRFSGJS8

WP sir.
  • edited September 2015
    I don't believe that Neil needs defending, I certainly got the humour in his post, but i will anyway... Now apart from the fact he wouldn't like as nice in a daringly cut swimsuit, shall we compare Neil to his predecessor as Sky Ambo? As well as repping skypoker well at live events and on the TV shows, the videos from vegas were brilliant (even accounting for the dress sense of his co-host). He has also contributed plenty to the forum and even turns out in our humble little community events (220 at 220, PLO8 league and the HUFA cup to name but 3). Plus if you want to know what Neil thinks about manners at the tables, see here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw9jRFSGJS8 WP sir.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Eh?

I say, do what?
  • edited September 2015
    Apologies neil. Read it wrong.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: This is why I love this place....... : YBA. That is going to prompt me to bring out of retirement something I don't use too often, the tikay 7 bet. RAISE
    Posted by Tikay10
    This reminds me of a recent live tournament where a guy jammed 6b j8 suited. As the tale was retold in skype chat it repeatedly gained numbers and in the end the story was he 17b all in!
  • edited September 2015
    Thought it was pretty clear 'humour'/sarcasm from Neil. Even I detected the sarcasm, and my sarcasm radar needed dusting off.