You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rabbit Cams.

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Just been playing on a site with rabbit cams.

Personally, I loved them and helped justify tough folds at times and meant I could fold a lot easier and not worry whether it was right or not.

How does anyone else feel about such a prospect being added to the download when it finally arrives?

They also had a fold and show option, but wasnt too keen on that feature.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Rabbit Cams.:
    Just been playing on a site with rabbit cams. Personally, I loved them and helped justify tough folds at times and meant I could fold a lot easier and not worry whether it was right or not. How does anyone else feel about such a prospect being added to the download when it finally arrives? They also had a fold and show option, but wasnt too keen on that feature.
    Posted by Hale72
    Rabbit cams may be fun but they NEVER justify tough folds.
    Making an educated guess at what your opponent has and knowing the odds of what may come justify tough folds.
    Just because the river card doesn't make your flush, say, doesn't mean that you were right to fold your hand if you were getting the right pot/implied odds.

P.S. I am assuming that by "rabbit cam" you mean you get to see what the river (and turn) cards would have been even if you fold. If not, apologies.  :-)
  • edited January 2010
    wots a rabbit cam???
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Rabbit Cams.:
    In Response to Rabbit Cams. : Rabbit cams may be fun but they NEVER justify tough folds. Making an educated guess at what your opponent has and knowing the odds of what may come justify tough folds. Just because the river card doesn't make your flush, say, doesn't mean that you were right to fold your hand if you were getting the right pot/implied odds. P.S. I am assuming that by "rabbit cam" you mean you get to see what the river (and turn) cards would have been even if you fold. If not, apologies.  :-)
    Posted by MereNovice
    True, but it is nice to know that ultimately you have saved some chips that ordinarily you would have lost, especially during marginal decisions.

And yes, they are fun.
  • edited January 2010
    wots a rabbit cam???
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    A rabbit cam is post flop or turn, if all players have folded, it shows the next card.

• edited January 2010

Ooh, I hate them!

It's like peeps who muck 7-2 when the Pre-Flop Betting goes 3-bet, 4-bet, 5-bet, & the flop comes 7-7-2, & the guy gets all excited, "I woulda won if I'd called"!

I shared a Table with one such gentleman last night. Every hand "ooh, I woulda won the lot if I'd called".

But seriously, I don't "get" Rabbit Cams. I've seen it in Live Poker, thousands of times, in less well-run establishments. It gets to the River, the guy misses with his A-K, then grabs the burn cards & looks at them - "yes, look, it was one of the burn cards!"

I honestly find it very hard to understand why they would want to do that.

But plenty did, & do, so I guess that makes the case for Rabbit Cams. Each to their own. Me, I just wanna get on with the next hand, consoling myself with what might have been does not tick any boxes for me I'm afraid.
  • edited January 2010
    Forgive me if I'm wrong and feel free to correct me, but the RNG is constantly shuffling.  I can understand (if not agree with) rabbit cams in a live game as the cards in the deck will be the ones to come out, but online as the turn and river are constantly randomised, isn't it just pointless?
  • edited January 2010
    Forgive me if I'm wrong and feel free to correct me, but the RNG is constantly shuffling.  I can understand (if not agree with) rabbit cams in a live game as the cards in the deck will be the ones to come out, but online as the turn and river are constantly randomised, isn't it just pointless?
    Posted by TommyD
    Not always, here and other sites shuffle the cards once per hand.

The flop turn and river are all predetermined.

There are sites that constantly shuffle, but Sky is not one of them.
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by TommyD
    Not on sky... the hands that are dealt and the flop, turn and river are decided as soon as the 'shuffle' is finished
  • edited January 2010
    Ooh, I hate them! It's like peeps who muck 7-2 when the Pre-Flop Betting goes 3-bet, 4-bet, 5-bet, & the flop comes 7-7-2, & the guy gets all excited, "I woulda won if I'd called"! I shared a Table with one such gentleman last night. Every hand "ooh, I woulda won the lot if I'd called". But seriously, I don't "get" Rabbit Cams. I've seen it in Live Poker, thousands of times, in less well-run establishments. It gets to the River, the guy misses with his A-K, then grabs the burn cards & looks at them - "yes, look, it was one of the burn cards!" I honestly find it very hard to understand why they would want to do that. But plenty did, & do, so I guess that makes the case for Rabbit Cams. Each to their own. Me, I just wanna get on with the next hand, consoling myself with what might have been does not tick any boxes for me I'm afraid.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I have heard these sort of things too.

Oooh, I folded 5 3 and would have made a straight flush!!!

NO, you folded 5 3.

But tbh, it is helping me not chase things as much, especially if the odds are not in my favour or very marginal calls.

It also makes me realise how often I actually miss these draws.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the heads up guys, ok on some sites they aren't totally pointless but I'd still rather not have them.
  • edited January 2010
    i not bothered about rabbit cams because once ive folded my hand is finished with,however i do like the site where you can show one or both of your cards when you fold or win the hand as this gives you the oppotunity to show a bluff/made hand to give out a certain image that you can use to your advantage at a later stage.... 
  • edited January 2010
    i not bothered about rabbit cams because once ive folded my hand is finished with,however i do like the site where you can show one or both of your cards when you fold or win the hand as this gives you the oppotunity to show a bluff/made hand to give out a certain image that you can use to your advantage at a later stage.... 
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    You can do that on Sky if you want to. Not 1 card but both.
  • edited January 2010
    I didnt think Sky had a fold and show option.

I know you can show your winner after everyone else has folded, but not show what you have folded.
  • edited January 2010
    I didnt think Sky had a fold and show option. I know you can show your winner after everyone else has folded, but not show what you have folded.
    Posted by Hale72
    I may be wrong on the fold. I was thinking of the Muck Losing Hand option but I guess you're right that it doesnt apply to folds.
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    You can show your cards on this site when you win a hand.
    You just can't show hands that you fold.
  • edited January 2010
    I think it'd be a good option to have a fold & show here. There have been times where I've made a big lay down & wanted to show it.
  • edited January 2010

I always enable "Muck or Show".
  • edited January 2010
    You can show hands when you win or lose on sky, as long as you don't fold.
  • edited January 2010
    You can show hands when you win or lose on sky, as long as you don't fold.
    Posted by elsadog
    Brilliant!

It's called The Orford Option.
  • edited January 2010
    I think it'd be a good option to have a fold & show here. There have been times where I've made a big lay down & wanted to show it.
    Posted by silentbob
    It would be nice to have the option.

• edited January 2010
    Surely, wouldn't rabbit cams add to your frustration?  In Tikay's example, if that guy would've flopped a full house, then goes on to fold another three or four hands, but would've won the lot (extreme, I know, but bear with me), he's either going to deconstruct his laptop via the nearest wall, or pile into every hand thinking he's onto a winner and blow his chips, isn't he?  Doesn't sound like a good idea if you want to keep your blood pressure down!
  • edited January 2010
    Surely, wouldn't rabbit cams add to your frustration?  In Tikay's example, if that guy would've flopped a full house, then goes on to fold another three or four hands, but would've won the lot (extreme, I know, but bear with me), he's either going to deconstruct his laptop via the nearest wall, or pile into every hand thinking he's onto a winner and blow his chips, isn't he?  Doesn't sound like a good idea if you want to keep your blood pressure down!
    Posted by Taller_Guy
    For me & you, yes, but seemingly not for everyone.
  • edited January 2010
    Prior to this thread I'd never heard of "rabbit cams". I have seen 'River cams' on televised poker, which worked ok for us viewers on the odd occasion it was used. Can't say I see any need for them online as a player - I'm not bothered about seeing what would have come.
  • edited January 2010
    "Rabbit cam" is just another term for "river cam".
    It's used because looking at what would have been dealt on the river is known as "rabbit hunting".

• edited January 2010
    "Wabbit cam" is just another term for "wiver cam". It's used because looking at what would have been dealt on the wiver is known as "wabbit hunting".
    Posted by MereNovice
    Elmer Fudd has a lot to answer for...
  • edited January 2010
    Ooh, I hate them! It's like peeps who muck 7-2 when the Pre-Flop Betting goes 3-bet, 4-bet, 5-bet, & the flop comes 7-7-2, & the guy gets all excited, "I woulda won if I'd called"! I shared a Table with one such gentleman last night. Every hand "ooh, I woulda won the lot if I'd called". But seriously, I don't "get" Rabbit Cams. I've seen it in Live Poker, thousands of times, in less well-run establishments. It gets to the River, the guy misses with his A-K, then grabs the burn cards & looks at them - "yes, look, it was one of the burn cards!" I honestly find it very hard to understand why they would want to do that. But plenty did, & do, so I guess that makes the case for Rabbit Cams. Each to their own. Me, I just wanna get on with the next hand, consoling myself with what might have been does not tick any boxes for me I'm afraid.
    Posted by Tikay10
    i call these guys the 'could av, should av, would av, but didnt' brigade
  • edited January 2010
    Obviously, they are not to everyones taste.

The site I saw them on has an option to turn them on or off.

However, with a download iminent, any options that Sky could give that increases footfall to the site can surely only be a good thing.

This includes a fold and show option, or even an option to keep your cards in view or not after you have folded.

Personally, I hate to see my hole cards after I have folded.

By havin an on/off option for it, everyone should be happy.

I found it fun and reassuring, if others find it makes them call more as they see how many times they could have won, then again, that makes them play more loosely and in turn, that should please us too.
  • edited January 2010

Forgive my ignorance, I thought this thread was about the upcoming BBC's Springwatch with Bill Oddie and filming rabbits in their burrows.  Slighty disappointed ;)

• edited January 2010
    If I fold the nuts I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to know that I wouldve won. Just drives me crazy in those tourneys where I can't hit a F@@cking hand, and everything is 8 high etc
  • edited January 2010
    I can see peoples points on rabbit cams but personally I am not a fan like Tikay & taller_guy I feel they might just add more frustration if you lay down a hand and then find out you would have won, well obviously this makes no difference if the hand is 7 2 but still for the more "emotional" players should we say the ones that always get flustered over pots that they would have won or lost cause they didnt stay in the hand it just would not be valid.

I feel a way round it though would be to have it so you only saw it if you wanted to see it so to speak if that makes sense. This is probably a silly idea but its just me trying to think a way that would be beneficial for everyone, cause obviously it helps you for convidence Hale72, but for others it could just cause more frustration

Spike2120