You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Gutted with the Etiquette shown Heads up in the UKOPS 5 Main evenT

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
There was a few of us there telling him to run the clock and wait for u bud but he just was hitting the raise as quick as he pos  could so bad sorry and wp acky

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Got Heads up in the Ukops 5 main event bounty hunter before and during the heads up my computer froze or internet went down and had to be rebooted. By the time I got back the villan had stole all my chips as fast as he could (about 30bb) and now has the win and a UKOPS braclett. 

I know I would have waited as would most of the people in this community. Just my rotten luck for it to happen when playing this particular player. Gutting feeling and I wouldn't like to win an even like that to be honest
  • edited November 2015
    Thank you mate I've got over the initial shock of it happening now and thanks for trying to get him to do the right thing. With the rail saying it is a matter of time before I win might have jinxed me somewhat lol 

Obviously ran well to get HU but just dissappointed in him is all but no rules against it I suppose. Think sky should stamp on his UKOPS bracelett a few times before sending it to him thou ;-) Not that I'm bitter ;-)
  • edited November 2015
    Can't wait to hear his stories of how he 'took it down'....
  • edited November 2015
    Sorry to hear this m8, but your young and strong enough to win another, just not this satuday when i'll be playing.
  • edited November 2015
    Well done anyway it was a good achievement. Your opponent of course does not have to wait for you and whether he should is open to different interpretations. I used to wait until one day I reached HU in a tournament and the Internet was playing up a bit that night. My opponent got disconnected and I just kept slow playing and folding my small blind for about 10-15minutes till they got reconnected. Shortly after I was disconnected for about 5 minutes and came back to see I was no longer chip leader but all in on the big blind. Should I have waited ? Should I wait next time ?
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Gutted with the Etiquette shown Heads up in the UKOPS 5 Main evenT:
    Well done anyway it was a good achievement. Your opponent of course does not have to wait for you and whether he should is open to different interpretations. I used to wait until one day I reached HU in a tournament and the Internet was playing up a bit that night. My opponent got disconnected and I just kept slow playing and folding my small blind for about 10-15minutes till they got reconnected. Shortly after I was disconnected for about 5 minutes and came back to see I was no longer chip leader but all in on the big blind. Should I have waited ? Should I wait next time ?
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Snap happened too me before had waited on the guy heads up started taking his blinds after 10 mins waiting he then came back so told him too reraise me and gave him chips back then i get booted and come back and have 2 bbs left since then i give them a minute or 2 then start taking unless its is someone i know would wait/restore my chips if it happened too me   

In dyms i never wait as no one ever waits when i get booted.

Think there is more people that say they would wait than there is that actually do.

• edited November 2015
    Yeah deffo Churchy. Obv it's just a guess but I'd say the number of people that would actually wait is <1% of the players on the site. Also, some of that <1% probably only do it because they're well known in the community etc so fear being slammed for not waiting. Anonymity is a wonderful thing ;)

Personally, I'd fully expect it to be done to me, so would do the same back, cynical maybe, but meh. 

There are a few regs that I deffo know from experience have and/or would wait (I'm sure there are lots more but the ones that come to mind are Bates and TommyD) so if I was HU v them I'd wait too, but against 99% of sky player base, I'd probably allow a vv small window (less than a minute) then just be stealing.

Grim to be on the receiving end of it, but vwp on getting 2nd lyonsbob
  • edited November 2015
    would u give a random man in the street £2000 lyon? I do feel for u it's a real bad way to lose, has happened to me in past but in much smaller amounts have cursed at the player but ultimately i can not blame them.

£2000 is a awful lot of money there are many reasons why he could desperatly need the money u just don't know, slow rolling IMO is far worse etiquette 
  • edited November 2015
    Unlucky
    But vwp

Not everyone can be a TommyD

Funny though, if you are playing a dym, it is regarded as bad form if you don't attack a disco-ed player. I actually got chat abuse from someone when I suggested I'd continue to play vs the others! 

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Gutted with the Etiquette shown Heads up in the UKOPS 5 Main evenT:
    Unlucky But vwp Not everyone can be a TommyD Funny though, if you are playing a dym, it is regarded as bad form if you don't attack a disco-ed player. I actually got chat abuse from someone when I suggested I'd continue to play vs the others! 
    Posted by GELDY
    Think in DYM though G there is an unwritten rule if there's 3 of you left and the 4th ones away just fold till eventually get them out. Have known it the other way though where 4 was left 1 was away and one of the players was determined to get first and others got aggro and went with them so it sort of back fired.

Vul Michael, wp though
  • edited November 2015
    I don't need to be disconnected for you lot to steel my chips haha :)

I would wait though & have waited - several mins in fact. On the odd occasion I wished I hadn't as I ended up in 2nd place, but good sportsmanship means more to me than the money.

On average it takes 5mins for a pc &/or broadband box to re-boot, so if oppo ain't back after that, I think we are good to steel in the knowledge that at least we did our best to wait for a while.
  • edited November 2015
    I don't need to be disconnected for you lot to steel my chips haha :) I would wait though & have waited - several mins in fact. On the odd occasion I wished I hadn't as I ended up in 2nd place, but good sportsmanship means more to me than the money. On average it takes 5mins for a pc &/or broadband box to re-boot, so if oppo ain't back after that, I think we are good to steel in the knowledge that at least we did our best to wait for a while.
    Posted by POKERTREV

Oh the irony
  • edited November 2015
    Very unlucky to disconnect heads up, the only thing worse than getting a bad beat HU is not getting the opportunity to play.
    I'm very impressed by the morality of people waiting on their disconnected opponent, but for me i'd instantly be in there stealing their blinds and would expect them to do the same to me. 
    If a player is playing too tight do you not take advantage of this by playing aggressive? All your doing is using the best strategy to beat your opponent, as we should be doing heads up. At the end of the day it isn't your opponent's fault you've disconnected so you can't blame them for taking advantage. Still a very bitter pill to swallow, hopefully you'll get another shot HU in a ukops main.
  • edited November 2015

i am reminded of greghogg.

many years ago greg waited in this same situation.

i saw his name again just recently too.

• edited November 2015
    Very unlucky. Disconnections are part of the variance of online poker. That was a particularly cruel time for one to strike.

Suggestion; have a smartphone with the mobile app installed as a back-up device when playing big money tournaments on Sky Poker. If your PC crashes or your wifi goes down at a crucial moment you can fire-up the table fairly quickly and continue to play via the mobile network.
  • edited November 2015
    Very unlucky. Disconnections are part of the variance of online poker. That was a particularly cruel time for one to strike. Suggestion; have a smartphone with the mobile app installed as a back-up device when playing big money tournaments on Sky Poker. If your PC crashes or your wifi goes down at a crucial moment you can fire-up the table fairly quickly and continue to play via the mobile network.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    +1 A guy in the Sunday Million anniversarry disconnected during the final table so used their phone and ended up winning over $800,000 when they made a deal with him as chip leader

• edited November 2015
    Very unlucky. Disconnections are part of the variance of online poker. That was a particularly cruel time for one to strike. Suggestion; have a smartphone with the mobile app installed as a back-up device when playing big money tournaments on Sky Poker. If your PC crashes or your wifi goes down at a crucial moment you can fire-up the table fairly quickly and continue to play via the mobile network.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Yeah just one of those things unfortunately. Also I had my phone right there next to me and it didn't occur to ne to use it untill after the event.......expensive mistake :)
  • edited November 2015
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Hi Gary this was exactly what I was thinking. Do I just steal next time as he had done or go with what I would normally do and give them a few mins to reconnect. This has happened where I have waited for my opponent before (in much smaller games) and I hope I would do the same even now but always circumstances will dictate that as if it was against this players again I would ofc steal as fast as I could. Against anyone else unless I know they are a bad egg I would give them a few mins.
  • edited November 2015
    Yeah deffo Churchy. Obv it's just a guess but I'd say the number of people that would actually wait is <1% of the players on the site. Also, some of that <1% probably only do it because they're well known in the community etc so fear being slammed for not waiting. Anonymity is a wonderful thing ;) Personally, I'd fully expect it to be done to me, so would do the same back, cynical maybe, but meh.  There are a few regs that I deffo know from experience have and/or would wait (I'm sure there are lots more but the ones that come to mind are Bates and TommyD) so if I was HU v them I'd wait too, but against 99% of sky player base, I'd probably allow a vv small window (less than a minute) then just be stealing. Grim to be on the receiving end of it, but vwp on getting 2nd lyonsbob
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Paul I think your wrong about how many people would openly steal. I think a large percentage of people I've met thru sky would wait at least a few minutes. Probably wouldnt wait on other sites but I think sky is a bit diffetent.
    Just one of those things that happened this time thou and at least I havnt got myself to blame for blowing the Heads up myself ;)
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Gutted with the Etiquette shown Heads up in the UKOPS 5 Main evenT : Hi Paul I think your wrong about how many people would openly steal. I think a large percentage of people I've met thru sky would wait at least a few minutes. Probably wouldnt wait on other sites but I think sky is a bit diffetent. Just one of those things that happened this time thou and at least I havnt got myself to blame for blowing the Heads up myself ;)
    Posted by lyonsbob06
    Agree - I'd expect the figure on Sky Poker to be close to 50%, as I still retain faith in most people's basic decency. For "pros" of course, they use a different moral compass, & are, I suppose, entitled so to do.   
  • edited November 2015
    I think implying that Sky Poker players operate on a higher moral compass to players on other sites is unjustifiable and most likely not true. I'm assuming your reasining is Tikay that sky maybe have a higher recreational:pro ratio and you think recs will be less likely to steal. I actually think recreationals are more likely to steal blinds due to a) not knowing poker etiquette b) less likely to be active forum member and therefore don't know anyone and c) the money probably means more to them than a pro. I do think Sky Poker forum regulars are more likely not to steal the blinds, especially if playing another forum regular, due to the community aspect. But, as we know, the vast majority of Sky Poker players have never even been on the forum, so I can't see how the figure can be anything higher than 5%.

If we're talking about forum reg vs forum reg, then I think we could see that figure rise to the dizzying heights of 50% due to the fact people are less likely to "take" from their friends since they know full well that they'll know it happened, and most people, rightly or wrongly, operate on a different moral compass when facing this kind of situation with a friend rather than a random. They don't want to upset their friends feelings and have it told to them that that wasn't fair, whereas vs a random they might think they can just get away with it. 

regarding the actual situation, I think it's such a grey area that I wouldn't mind if it happened to me at all.

How long is villain supposed to wait for you?

Is he supposed to wait forever and take a flip situation?

What happens if stacks are close and villain doesn't steal the blinds, and Lyonsbob ends up winning the tournament. Surely Lyons should then be obliged to send villain half of the extra money? Sky Poker don't allow transfers so that'd be difficult. 
  • edited November 2015
    I think implying that Sky Poker players operate on a higher moral compass to players on other sites is unjustifiable and most likely not true. I do think Sky Poker forum regulars are more likely not to steal the blinds, especially if playing another forum regular, due to the community aspect. But, as we know, the vast majority of Sky Poker players have never even been on the forum, so I can't see how the figure can be anything higher than 5%. If we're talking about forum reg vs forum reg, then I think we could see that figure rise to the dizzying heights of 50% due to the fact people are less likely to "take" from their friends since they know full well that they'll know it happened, and most people, rightly or wrongly, operate on a different moral compass when facing this kind of situation with a friend rather than a random. They don't want to upset their friends feelings and have it told to them that that wasn't fair, whereas vs a random they might think they can just get away with it.  regarding the actual situation, I think it's such a grey area that I wouldn't mind if it happened to me at all. How long is villain supposed to wait for you? Is he supposed to wait forever and take a flip situation? What happens if stacks are close and villain doesn't steal the blinds, and Lyonsbob ends up winning the tournament. Surely Lyons should then be obliged to send villain half of the extra money? Sky Poker don't allow transfers so that'd be difficult. 
    Posted by percival09
    You may be right, but I disagree.

I can't begin to have it that the hardcore sorts on, say, PokerStars, with their seating scripts, HUD's & assorted third party software operate on an identical moral compass to players on what still is a recreationally dominated site.

All IMO, of course. We are talking degrees, of course, nobody knows, but I'd bet good money that 1% was a very long way out indeed. I tend to see the best in people, it's a default setting, whereas the more cynical see the downsides easier.

Incidentally, as to the OP, I do feel for him, of course I do, but for balance (fancy a poker player seeing things in a balanced way, eh?) the other guy never broke any rules & I'm certainly not condemning him at all.  I'd not do it, not in a million years, but it's just a personal choice.      
  • edited November 2015
    HUDs and Scripts are available to every poker player on the market. 

HUDs provide minimal advantage over a recreational player due the fact that it's only effective after thousands of hands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of hands, and vs a recreational you'll rarely get over 1,000 hands. I think people who don't really know about HUDs, or who haven't used HUDs, often exaggerate this issue. HUDs are used primarily against other regulars, and I guarentee if huds were allowed on Sky and one regular bought one, then every other regular would follow. I don't think it's a moral issue. I also think it's worth nothing that this isn't just a pro thing, plenty of recreationals also use HUDS. I used one when I was playing for fun, and I know many others do too.

It's the same kind of thing with scripts, if 15 of the 20 regulars on NL400 are using scripts, then it's going to be close to impossible for the other 5 regulars to even get a seat in most games that run. So, what can they do? Get a script.

The majority of poker players who use HUDs and scripts would not even care if they got banned, in fact I know a lot want it to happen. The problem arises when 1 person is using them to gain an advantage, then another will use it, and another etc. 

I don't think HUDs and scripts should even be held in same bracket since they're completely different things. HUD for the reasons above, i.e. not being effective vs recreationals. Scripts are predatory and make recreationals feel preyed on and they lose their money slightly quicker due to regulars getting an instant seat. However, it would be a mistake to think there would be a big effect if they were indeed banned. Regulars will quickly join the game when a fish sits script or not, perhaps 4-5 seconds slower.

there isn't really any other third party software that's permitted to be open at the same time as Pokerstars - they are used for off the table studying. Again, open to anyone. 

edit, realise I went on a bit of a rant there. I'm getting at your point about huds and scripts, believe it or not, and saying the exact same thing would happen on ANY site that would allow it. Just because pokerstars regulars use them, doesn't mean they're immoral - it simply means it's the only way they can do their job. and for my reasons listed in post 1, I think a recreational would be more likely to take the blinds, even more than a script using hud using 3rd party software using awful regular.
  • edited November 2015
    HUDs and Scripts are available to every poker player on the market.  HUDs provide minimal advantage over a recreational player due the fact that it's only effective after thousands of hands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of hands, and vs a recreational you'll rarely get over 1,000 hands. I think people who don't really know about HUDs, or who haven't used HUDs, often exaggerate this issue. HUDs are used primarily against other regulars, and I guarentee if huds were allowed on Sky and one regular bought one, then every other regular would follow. I don't think it's a moral issue. I also think it's worth nothing that this isn't just a pro thing, plenty of recreationals also use HUDS. I used one when I was playing for fun, and I know many others do too. It's the same kind of thing with scripts, if 15 of the 20 regulars on NL400 are using scripts, then it's going to be close to impossible for the other 5 regulars to even get a seat in most games that run. So, what can they do? Get a script. The majority of poker players who use HUDs and scripts would not even care if they got banned, in fact I know a lot want it to happen. The problem arises when 1 person is using them to gain an advantage, then another will use it, and another etc.  I don't think HUDs and scripts should even be held in same bracket since they're completely different things. HUD for the reasons above, i.e. not being effective vs recreationals. Scripts are predatory and make recreationals feel preyed on and they lose their money slightly quicker due to regulars getting an instant seat. However, it would be a mistake to think it would be a big effect to ban them. Regulars will quickly join the game when a fish sits script or not, perhaps 4-5 seconds slower. there isn't really any other third party software that's permitted to be open at the same time as Pokerstars - they are used for off the table studying. Again, open to anyone. 
    Posted by percival09
    Ha, I'm fully au fait with the pros & cons of third party software, seating scripts & HUD's Percy, (& all of the 133 Third Party Software aids permitted on 'Stars)  & I 100% understand their functions, & that players perceptions are not all accurate. I even know the difference between HUD's & seating scripts.....

I believe my point remains valid. Anyway, let's not argue, it's impossible to prove either way.

Hope you have a good UKOPS.

• edited November 2015
    made an edit - realised I went on a rant about software :) 
  • edited November 2015
    made an edit - realised I went on a rant about software :) 
    Posted by percival09
    Ha, yes you did. I appreciated the sermon though......

With respect, we are talking apples & pears.

Yes yes yes, if all those artificial aids were allowed on other sites, lots of players would use them, & it would NOT make those players any less "moral". It WOULD, however, mean they were operating on a different moral compass.

• edited November 2015
    and how would it differ? How does the use of huds and scripts make a regular on pokerstars more likely to "steal"? 

You say you've made a valid point, but I'm yet to even see a point
  • edited November 2015
    and how would it differ? How does the use of huds and scripts make a regular on pokerstars more likely to "steal"?  You say you've made a valid point, but I'm yet to even see a point
    Posted by percival09
    You may not see the point, but that does not mean it is invalid.

I remain wedded to the view that to suggest 99% of the players on Sky Poker would take advantage of an away player in that scenario is incorrect.

• edited November 2015
    no, I can't. I have asked you to explain it but to no avail. Anyway, thanks for the GL message, good luck to you too if you decide to play some more.
  • edited November 2015

i have been holding both your jackets for far too long.  have them back and be on your way home, boys.