You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins.

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat

The 5th renewal of the Sky Poker UKPC was announced on Friday, &, so now the satellites have begun, & folks are starting out on their UKPC journey.

We'll try & use this thread to collate comment, feedback & questions as we go along. 

Last night saw the first Semi-Final (they are nightly @ 9.15pm, except Sunday, when I guess they will be earlier), & these eclectic eight all qualified for this Sunday's Final, in which 10 x £1,100 UKPC seats are guaranteed, & 1 in 5 go through. 

Well done them. 

rodwell4000
ramos2824000
kyp19614000
grandpabak4000
RockSolid4000
Matty_444000
Ludovician4000
FLYPAN4000

Comments

• edited November 2015
    I have never played "live" poker but really want to give it a go, so, I will be investing some time, probably far too many pennies, and a lot of hope into trying to satellite into this.
    I am also hoping to go to Vegas next year so would like the practice before going to the big show.
    Good luck to all who are attempting to get in
    Nick
  • edited November 2015

Nick - be the greatest thing ever if you could qualify for either- or both.

Good luck, live that dream.
  • edited November 2015
    Well am trying for the double! Lets see if I can fluke it through a fr again. Good luck all.
  • edited November 2015
    Good luck to trying to satellite in, I always think it is somehow special to do it that way.
  • edited November 2015

Last night saw the 2nd UKPC Semi-Final, six seats were guaranteed, but it made 9 seats, so we have 17 into the first final on Sunday now, which will award 10 guaranteed £1,100 UKPC seats.

5ausages4000
    FLYPAN4000
    Gaaarrry4000
    grandpabak4000
    GreenKing14000
    IrishRose4000
    jimmyg_g4000
    kyp19614000
    Ludovician4000
    Matty_444000
    moggie3614000
    Nutter59324000
    Padooki4000
    ramos2824000
    RockSolid4000
    rodwell4000
    thisltedu4000
  • edited November 2015
    Will 100% be going to this!!
  • edited November 2015
    Hi Tikay

Can I ask how people are qualifying for the final please?  I was in the semi on Monday which awarded 6 seats plus cash for 7th according to my lobby report and again in the semi last night which awarded 7 seats plus cash for 8th.

By my reckoning that only makes 13 qualifiers?  Or is it a case of 4 people either winning seats direct to the final via freerolls or buying in direct already to the Sunday night final?

Very excited to get into the final for Sunday night - but on reading the details of the event I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed to see that the Day 2 of UKPC is going to be held on the Sunday rather than the usual Saturday, and the final day will be on the Monday which will probably lead into the early hours of the Tuesday morning?  As a purely rec player (who works different places on Mondays and Tuesdays lol) it's difficult to make the judgement call about trying to get 2 days holiday.  I know I'll prob be out first day so it won't even be an issue (assuming I'll even qualify in the first place!!) but as I managed to get to day 2 last time lightening might strike twice!!
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins.:
    Hi Tikay Can I ask how people are qualifying for the final please?  I was in the semi on Monday which awarded 6 seats plus cash for 7th according to my lobby report and again in the semi last night which awarded 7 seats plus cash for 8th. By my reckoning that only makes 13 qualifiers?  Or is it a case of 4 people either winning seats direct to the final via freerolls or buying in direct already to the Sunday night final? Very excited to get into the final for Sunday night - but on reading the details of the event I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed to see that the Day 2 of UKPC is going to be held on the Sunday rather than the usual Saturday, and the final day will be on the Monday which will probably lead into the early hours of the Tuesday morning?  As a purely rec player (who works different places on Mondays and Tuesdays lol) it's difficult to make the judgement call about trying to get 2 days holiday.  I know I'll prob be out first day so it won't even be an issue (assuming I'll even qualify in the first place!!) but as I managed to get to day 2 last time lightening might strike twice!!
    Posted by IrishRose
    Hi Rose,

I have no idea how the other 4 qualified, but your suggestions seem plausible.

Good luck, it'd be great to see you there.

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins. : Hi Rose, I have no idea how the other 4 qualified, but your suggestions seem plausible. Good luck, it'd be great to see you there.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Top 2 from the daily Rewards FR get seats to the final too.

• edited November 2015
    Hi Tikay Can I ask how people are qualifying for the final please?  I was in the semi on Monday which awarded 6 seats plus cash for 7th according to my lobby report and again in the semi last night which awarded 7 seats plus cash for 8th. By my reckoning that only makes 13 qualifiers?  Or is it a case of 4 people either winning seats direct to the final via freerolls or buying in direct already to the Sunday night final? Very excited to get into the final for Sunday night - but on reading the details of the event I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed to see that the Day 2 of UKPC is going to be held on the Sunday rather than the usual Saturday, and the final day will be on the Monday which will probably lead into the early hours of the Tuesday morning?  As a purely rec player (who works different places on Mondays and Tuesdays lol) it's difficult to make the judgement call about trying to get 2 days holiday.  I know I'll prob be out first day so it won't even be an issue (assuming I'll even qualify in the first place!!) but as I managed to get to day 2 last time lightening might strike twice!!
    Posted by IrishRose
    That's correct Rose, the Final will be on Monday.

It should not finish too late though, as we have agreed with DTD that it MUST finish at a reasonable hour, & so at present, the plan is to start the Final around 5pm. Mr Trumper, who has an uncanny knack of forecasting exact finish times, thinks it will finish before 11pm.

The logic of the Monday final - an experiment which may or may not be repeated - is so that the majority of recreational players will not need a day off work. Whilst there are Day 1's on Thursday & Friday, all Sky Poker qualifiers will be entered by default into Day 1c, on Saturday. (They can move it forward to Thursday or Friday simply be contacting Tighty or myself).

Let's look at the likelihood of a Sky Poker qualifier playing on the Monday, to place this in context. 1,00 runners (hopefully....), so assuming a 10 player final table, 1% of them (10) will make the Final. 

Sky Poker hope to send 200 players to the event, so that means - in theory - 2 of them will make the Final, & need Monday off.  Of course, that number could be zero or ten. And exactly NONE of them will need the Friday off.

That's the logic.

We appreciate it will not be convenient to everyone, some of whom have jobs where - even for a chance of a life-changing sum of money (approx £200,000) - it is not possible to book the Monday off work at short notice (as a day's holiday - nobody is suggesting players should throw a sickie), or even finish work early on that day. 

If that's the situation, then it would be best to consider that before qualifying or entering.

I hope that makes some sense. 

In short, nobody needs to take Friday off - which we consider a huge bonus - &, in theory, 2 will need to take Monday off.

Any more questions, fire away, I have all the answers at my fingertips.*

* T & C's apply. I can remember this as well as forget them.  
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins. : Top 2 from the daily Rewards FR get seats to the final too.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Ahh, I had not realised that. Maybe I ought to pay more attention. ;)

Thanks Mr Phant.

Be the greatest thing ever if we get a few qualifiers from those Daily Rewards Freerolls.

• edited November 2015

I just had a look at the Freeroll route, & there are two ways to get in tonight.

7pm - UKPC Freeroll.

6 players get a seat into tonight's semi-final. (Entry criteria, 20 points in the preceding 24 hours).

7.30pm Rewards Freeroll.

There is added value in that 1st & 2nd will win a seat into Sunday's Final. (Entry Criteria via the Rewards System from the previous week).

For clarity, tonight's £1,000 Rewards Freeroll has £1,000 of CASH PRIZES plus 2 x £240 UKPC Final seats, so total value = £1,480.

• edited November 2015

25 in Sunday's Final now, with 8 added yesterday, presumably 6 from the Semi-Final, & 2 from the Rewards Freeroll.

5ausages4000
    5kyRimmer4000
    aussie094000
    bigneebs514000
    dewy304000
    FLYPAN4000
    Gaaarrry4000
    grandpabak4000
    GreenKing14000
    henners104000
    IrishRose4000
    jimmyg_g4000
    kyp19614000
    Ludovician4000
    Matty_444000
    moggie3614000
    Nutter59324000
    Padooki4000
    ramos2824000
    RockSolid4000
    rodwell4000
    shubling4000
    thisltedu4000
    Thoich4000
    violet88294000
  • edited November 2015

Going along nicely, each night 8 are qualifying for Sunday's Final.

The Final guarantees 10 seats, & needs 50 to cover, & with 41 in already, it might make a seat or two more yet. The weather is awful today, which is usually a very good signal for online poker traffic.

Some good & recognizable names in the 41, too.

5ausages40005kyRimmer4000Alarthur504000alpine4000ANDY6K4000aussie094000bigneebs514000Bromhead4000claire0084000dewy304000FLYPAN4000Gaaarrry4000gazscoop4000grandpabak4000GreenKing14000henners104000IanSimpson4000IrishRose4000jimmyg_g4000Joey8984000kyp19614000LuckyDaveB4000Ludovician4000Matty_444000Milber4000moggie3614000Moufdi4000Muad_Dib4000myrrdhin4000Nutter59324000onoo4000Padooki4000ramos2824000RockSolid4000rodwell4000rspca124000shubling4000Tadas254000thisltedu4000Thoich4000violet88294000

• edited November 2015

The first UKPC Final is tonight.

10 £1,100 seats Guaranteed, 1 in 5.

46 are in already, & with 6 seats Guaranteed in the 7.15pm Semi-Final tonight, so it may even make 11 seats & a bit of cash.

Plenty of feeders & Micro Sats today, starting from £1.30 & upwards.

• edited November 2015

The 46 who are in tonight's Final includes VLV & Punta Cana trip winners, as well as plenty of Freeroll winners.

Good luck to every one of them.

5ausages4000
    5kyRimmer4000
    Alarthur504000
    alpine4000
    ANDY6K4000
    aussie094000
    baldysteve4000
    bigneebs514000
    BrayCorp834000
    Bromhead4000
    claire0084000
    CxE14000
    dewy304000
    Direwolf4000
    FLYPAN4000
    Gaaarrry4000
    gazscoop4000
    grandpabak4000
    GreenKing14000
    henners104000
    IanSimpson4000
    IrishRose4000
    jimmyg_g4000
    Joey8984000
    kyp19614000
    LuckyDaveB4000
    Ludovician4000
    Matty_444000
    Milber4000
    Millwall534000
    moggie3614000
    Moufdi4000
    Muad_Dib4000
    myrrdhin4000
    Nutter59324000
    onoo4000
    Padooki4000
    ramos2824000
    RockSolid4000
    rodwell4000
    rspca124000
    shubling4000
    Tadas254000
    thisltedu4000
    Thoich4000
    violet88294000

• edited November 2015
    Hey Tikay, 

Just looking for abit advice if you dont mind. I managed to get through to the final in feb but have never played live before
     and not from nottingham, do you have any suggestions/ recommendations as to where to stay if hotel is needed and how the structure of the day goes? and if you can bring anyone down with you on the day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks 
    Claire 
  • edited November 2015
    Hey Tikay,  Just looking for abit advice if you dont mind. I managed to get through to the final in feb but have never played live before  and not from nottingham, do you have any suggestions/ recommendations as to where to stay if hotel is needed and how the structure of the day goes? and if you can bring anyone down with you on the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks  Claire 
    Posted by claire008

Hi Claire,
    If its anything like the UKPC earlier in the year it will start on Friday to Sunday, I went along to watch and support Dark Angel and Irish Rose, there were not a lot of people to talk to during the day as pretty everyone else was playing. A few more were around in the evening session to talk to after they got knocked out. I shared a twin room at the Jurys inn (I'm sure it was around £45/50 for the room) in the town only a short taxi ride away. Left my car at DTD as parking charges are crazy in the town. Hope this helps. Very well done again Champ :)) xx

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins. : Hi Claire, If its anything like the UKPC earlier in the year it will start on Friday to Sunday, I went along to watch and support Dark Angel and Irish Rose, there were not a lot of people to talk to during the day as pretty everyone else was playing. A few more were around in the evening session to talk to after they got knocked out. I shared a twin room at the Jurys inn (I'm sure it was around £45/50 for the room) in the town only a short taxi ride away. Left my car at DTD as parking charges are crazy in the town. Hope this helps. Very well done again Champ :)) xx
    Posted by debscom18

Just read Irish Rose post it looks like it starts on Saturday to Monday xx
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins. : Hi Claire, If its anything like the UKPC earlier in the year it will start on Friday to Sunday, I went along to watch and support Dark Angel and Irish Rose, there were not a lot of people to talk to during the day as pretty everyone else was playing. A few more were around in the evening session to talk to after they got knocked out. I shared a twin room at the Jurys inn (I'm sure it was around £45/50 for the room) in the town only a short taxi ride away. Left my car at DTD as parking charges are crazy in the town. Hope this helps. Very well done again Champ :)) xx
    Posted by debscom18
    Aw thanks Debs! 
    I may have to do the same. Yeah theyve split it into heats from what i can gather and Im in the saturday one. 
    Opportunities like this dont come up very often so hoping I can make the most of it :) 

• edited November 2015

Claire,

I'll reply, chapter & verse, first thing in the morning if that's OK. Been a long day, & I need to get to bed.

Chuffed to bits you have qualified.  

PS - at the moment, ALL Sky Poker qualifiers are being, by default, entered into the Saturday Day 1c. However, if you wish to play 1a (Thursday) or 1b (Friday) instead, we can sort that. Saturday, I would imagine, works best though, as you'll be with all the other Sky Poker qualifiers.
  • edited November 2015
    Course Tikay that would be great. 

Yep the saturday works best for me, thank you so much. Speak soon! 

Claire 

In Response to The Sky Poker UKPC journey begins:
    Claire, I'll reply, chapter & verse, first thing in the morning if that's OK. Been a long day, & I need to get to bed. Chuffed to bits you have qualified.   PS - at the moment, ALL Sky Poker qualifiers are being, by default, entered into the Saturday Day 1c. However, if you wish to play 1a (Thursday) or 1b (Friday) instead, we can sort that. Saturday, I would imagine, works best though, as you'll be with all the other Sky Poker qualifiers.
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited November 2015
    Hey Tikay,  Just looking for abit advice if you dont mind. I managed to get through to the final in feb but have never played live before  and not from nottingham, do you have any suggestions/ recommendations as to where to stay if hotel is needed and how the structure of the day goes? and if you can bring anyone down with you on the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks  Claire 
    Posted by claire008
    Morning Claire,

I'll address these questions one by one, to add clarity.

More follows.....
  • edited November 2015

Hotel

Jurys Inn is fine, also there are B & B's galore in Nottingham.

The most popular hotels for DTD players are both on Castle Marina, almost next to each other - Holiday Inn & Premier Inn. It's about 5 minutes in a Taxi to & from DTD. 

The beauty of those two hotels is that so many players from Sky Poker will be staying in one or the other, so you can almost guarantee to taxi-share (& so cost share) both ways. The Staff & Management from Sky Poker generally stay at Holiday Inn.

Personally, I would ONLY book one night - the Saturday night. If you DO make the Final on Monday, it's easy enough to get a room on the Sunday night, the hotels are near empty on Sunday night.  

• edited November 2015

Structure of the day

Day 1c - Saturday - stats at noon sharp - not as second later. However, it's "Live Poker", so you can poll up late (until 4.40pm) if you so wish. Personally, I'd suggest arriving early, soak up the atmo, meet a few people, chat & chill, so you are nice & relaxed & in your seat from the very start.

Your Table & Seat allocation goes up on a plasma screen, 5 minute before the start.

The tables are in rows, or tiers, numbered from left to right, but if in doubt, ask anyone, in particular just ask any Dealer. The Dealers are all sat in place 15 minutes before play commences.

SPT Rich, aka Tighty, aka Rich Prew, or myself, will both be there, so come see us if you need any help at all. That's what we are there for, what Tighty scornfully calls "Front of House Duties".

Play will continue until quite late - possibly after midnight - as it is important that we can get down to a Final on the Sunday, so as to avoid a late finish on Monday.  

• edited November 2015

Can you bring anyone with you?

Yes, of course.

They MUST register as a Member though, or they will not be permitted to enter the premises. (Gaming Commission rules). This applies to you as well.

It's best to register in advance, as the queues at the Reception do get a bit lengthy & tiresome. Takes about 30 seconds to register online, you do that at the DTD Website. I'd suggest you do that now.

You will need to bring Photo ID with you on the day - Passport, Drivers Licence, or whatever, even a Utility Bill. You will NOT be admitted without ID on your first visit. 

Your +1 can pop up to your table from time to time, to see how you are doing, ask how you are getting on, or bring you a cuppa. However, some etiquette is required - you should NOT talk to them whilst on a hand, or delay play because of them. They should not "hover" too close for long either, as it's unsettling for the other players, who may think your +1 is able to see their hole cards. Just sensible, common sense.

There is a bar, also tea & coffee (sadly the tea & coffee is charged at about £1.80 a pop), & there is TV on various plasmas around the room. Plenty of armchairs, sofas, & occasional tables at which to sit, too. (Isn't "occasional table" an odd expression? Is it occasionally something else?)

Generally, life being what it is, young ladies tend to congregate together, & you'll be fine, as a few female players of my acquaintance - MacacGirl (talks for England) & Mother (maybe even The Dreaded Daughter) are hoping to be present. My Gill may be there, too, so you'll be fine.

Clothes? Just smart casual. No ripped jeans or string vests, sorta thing.

Food - there is usually a buffet for the players.         

• edited November 2015

Never Played "Live" before"?

Bit of work needed here if you are to enjoy the day to the max.

Arrive in plenty of time, there are usually a few who have never played before, & Tighty or I will arrange a Table, dealer, chips & a deck of cards for a quick practice run.

A few quick tips. 

Always catch the Dealers eye before you act if you intend to call, bet or raise, then announce what you intend to do - "Call", "I make it 600" or whatever. Then, if you get your chips muddled up & put the wrong chip(s) in you are ok, as verbal is binding. When folding, no need to say anything, just muck your 2 cards. It is VERY DANGEROUS not to announce your intended action. If you accidentally stick a large denom - 5,000 say - chip in the middle it MIGHT get construed as a Raise, or you may not have noticed someone else raise, & it'll go as a call. ANNOUNCE YOUR ACTION TO THE DEALER BEFORE YOU PUT THE CHIP(S) in until you get the hang of it all.

Separate your chips into denoms, to avoid getting muddled up. Keep them neat & tidy, in stacks of 5 or 10, easier to count then. Your biggest denom chips MUST be visible to all players, they MUST NOT be hidden at the back of your stack.

Try not to count chips when betting in ones & twos - "cut" your stacks where possible.

Do not EVER act out of turn, even if you intend to fold - WAIT until it is your turn to act. Online we can fold out of turn, but other players don't know we have folded. Live, we MUST act in turn. Failure to do so may incur a warning, then a time penalty.

If you need change - say you want 5 x 100 for 1 x 500 - do not ask other players or the dealer. Just stick the 500 chip across the line for your 100 call, Blinds or bet, & the dealer will sort the change after al players have acted. 

When you win a pot, do NOT pull your chips in - that's the Dealers job, they will push them to you. It's extremely bad form to touch chips which are in the middle, like venting in church.

NEVER touch anyone else's chips, or the chips in the pot.

Pay attention at all times, or you will miss the action, or act out of turn.

Do not lift your two cards off the table to see them better. They must remain in contact with the table at all times.

Do NOT show your hand to other players not in the hand, or after action has completed. If you show ONE person, you are obliged to show everyone. It's very bad form, too.

If you pass, say, 8-8, & an 8 comes on the Board, don't blurt out "ooh, I folded a pair of eights". That gives vital information to players still in the hand & can affect the play. 

Try not to "tank" or dwell un-necessarily, or every hand. Bad form. When you do have a tough decision, that's fine, take all the time you want, within reason.

Nervous? Sit nice & quiet for the first few orbits, watch, listen & learn. There's no rush, you have plenty of chips, so just fold for a few orbits unless you find a monster.  

Not all poker players are good at social interaction I'm afraid, simple things like saying hello,. or introducing yourself, small talk etc are lost on many. To get the best out of the day, try & interact early, get chatting, it really helps everyone relax. Some don't want to talk or say hello of course, & that's up to them. You are there to enjoy yourself though, so try to make the most if it. Getting a nice chatty table is the best fun ever imo, though not all agree. I've shared tables with folks for 12 hours & they have been unable to mumble a single word. Tough to think of any walk of life where you plan to sit with 8 or 9 others & cba to even say hello.

And finally, most important of all - ENJOY yourself. It's not an ordeal, its a great day, & it's not often you'll play an £1,100 jobbie. You may even end up on a table with someone like Jake Cody, Mr Ambo, Sam Trickett or whoever. I must say, Mr Ambo is the nut table companion, he's huge fun to share a table with, as care many others.

Live Poker is tremendous fun, believe me.  

• edited November 2015

There you go - any other questions, fire away.

If any other regulars would like to add something to assist Claire, please do.
  • edited November 2015

So, back to business, & congrats to this baker's dozen who have got themselves at £1,100 UKPC Seat.

If my memory serves correctly, Lulufold was a previous Viva Las Vergas qualifier, & I8PALACE was a Punta Cana qualifier this year. Ian Simpson is a regular on the Sky Poker TV Show these days & Ben Sherman makes lovely shirts favoured by us chavs.  

alpine50000
    BenSherman50000
    claire00850000
    gazscoop50000
    IanSimpson50000
    IH8PALACE50000
    kyp196150000
    lolufold50000
    Matty_4450000
    Millwall5350000
    Muad_Dib50000
    ramos28250000
    RolandD50000
  • edited November 2015

may i add something?

keep track of the pot.  you must keep a running total of the pot size in your head.  then you can calculate the bet sizing in relation to the pot.   you need to know what others are doing.  afterall, you do not have screen friendly info when playing live.

as another tip, count the pot and calculate bet sizing even when you have mucked your cards.

you can learn so so much on others' play but also it will guide you on your own bet sizing.