You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Non plying players at dyms

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
Am i alone in wishing there could be some way to disqualify players who just sit it out or leave a game . Perhaps no bet in ten hands or out could be one way of sorting these scroungers out of our gr8 game

Comments

• edited December 2015
    No i like away players :)
  • edited December 2015
    Surely its only a good thing if a players inactive at a table, it greatly increases your chances of winning 
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Non plying players at dyms:
    Am i alone in wishing there could be some way to disqualify players who just sit it out or leave a game . Perhaps no bet in ten hands or out could be one way of sorting these scroungers out of our gr8 game
    Posted by brickbat
    Tikay would be out first level every game
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by brickbat
    Why would you want to disqualify them? Your chances of cashing increase if there is an away player all game. Normally they get blinded out once down to the bubble - it's kind of like an unspoken agreement. 
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by brickbat

Pretend they are disqualified and carry on regardless.

Carry on regardless.

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Non plying players at dyms:
    In Response to Non plying players at dyms : Tikay would be out first level every game
    Posted by dragon1964
    Too good Dragon, too good.
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by brickbat
    Morning brickbat.

I fear you may get some mocking for this post, so I'll try & explain why you are incorrect. And yes, you may well be alone in your views on this.

There are 3 main types of "AWAY" players in DYM's.

1) Sometimes they forget they have registered, & eventually sit in late, after a few levels. 

2) They may have temporary connection issues. Bit rich to disqualify them for that. 

3) They have so many chips, they decide to sit out, & leave the others to battle it out.

None of those things are....

a) Bad form

b) Poor etiquette

c) Cheating

d) Scrounging

As a general rule - say, 98% of the time - you cannot win a DYM by sitting out deliberately from the start.

As a player, in a perverse way, you should welcome a sit-out, as now you only have 2 players to beat, not 3.

And if you get 4 handed, & the poor chap is still sat out, if you are savvy, YOU CANNOT LOSE this game.

So no, they are not cheating, scrounging, or breaking any rules, & it's certainly not bad etiquette. 

Happy to answer any further questions you may have, & I hope this helps you a bit.   

• edited December 2015

By the way Mr Brickbat, congrats on winning 14 consecutive DYM's last week - that's pretty good going by any standards.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Non plying players at dyms : Morning brickbat. I fear you may get some mocking for this post, so I'll try & explain why you are incorrect. And yes, you may well be alone in your views on this. There are 3 main types of "AWAY" players in DYM's.   1) Sometimes they forget they have registered, & eventually sit in late, after a few levels.  2) They may have temporary connection issues. Bit rich to disqualify them for that.  3) They have so many chips, they decide to sit out, & leave the others to battle it out.   None of those things are.... a) Bad form b) Poor etiquette c) Cheating d) Scrounging As a general rule - say, 98% of the time - you cannot win a DYM by sitting out deliberately from the start.   As a player, in a perverse way, you should welcome a sit-out, as now you only have 2 players to beat, not 3.   And if you get 4 handed, & the poor chap is still sat out, if you are savvy, YOU CANNOT LOSE this game.   So no, they are not cheating, scrounging, or breaking any rules, & it's certainly not bad etiquette.  Happy to answer any further questions you may have, & I hope this helps you a bit.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    So much more fun though when you've had a hit to your stack and one of the players has decided he wants to 'win' the Dym
  • edited December 2015
    After two glasses of wine, I play better when I am sat out.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Non plying players at dyms : Morning brickbat. I fear you may get some mocking for this post, so I'll try & explain why you are incorrect. And yes, you may well be alone in your views on this. There are 3 main types of "AWAY" players in DYM's.   1) Sometimes they forget they have registered, & eventually sit in late, after a few levels.  2) They may have temporary connection issues. Bit rich to disqualify them for that.  3) They have so many chips, they decide to sit out, & leave the others to battle it out.   None of those things are.... a) Bad form b) Poor etiquette c) Cheating d) Scrounging As a general rule - say, 98% of the time - you cannot win a DYM by sitting out deliberately from the start.   As a player, in a perverse way, you should welcome a sit-out, as now you only have 2 players to beat, not 3.   And if you get 4 handed, & the poor chap is still sat out, if you are savvy, YOU CANNOT LOSE this game.   So no, they are not cheating, scrounging, or breaking any rules, & it's certainly not bad etiquette.  Happy to answer any further questions you may have, & I hope this helps you a bit.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry you clearly fail to understand my point. There is no point in continuing this exchange. I will continue to be dismayed whe a non player sits at my table. But please enjoy your advatages however real or imagined that is when you have to benefit from one. Oh and how on earth did you know that i won a mere 14 in a row.??...????????

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Non plying players at dyms : Sorry you clearly fail to understand my point. There is no point in continuing this exchange. I will continue to be dismayed whe a non player sits at my table. But please enjoy your advatages however real or imagined that is when you have to benefit from one. Oh and how on earth did you know that i won a mere 14 in a row.??...????????
    Posted by brickbat

Where's Slippy?
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Non plying players at dyms : Sorry you clearly fail to understand my point. There is no point in continuing this exchange. I will continue to be dismayed whe a non player sits at my table. But please enjoy your advatages however real or imagined that is when you have to benefit from one. Oh and how on earth did you know that i won a mere 14 in a row.??...????????
    Posted by brickbat
    lollol

O_0
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by brickbat
    I think we have all missed your point brickbat.

Please explain how a non-sitting player is a scrounger?
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by brickbat

Say it the way it is, why dont ya.
  • edited December 2015
    I don't mind away players at all. In fact I'd happily have five at my table.

For future reference I always make a note against those who I see pulling the oldest trick in the book; suddenly sitting back in when they pick up a premium hand.

There's one thing though. I've always thought the cards of an away player should be killed when they're auto all-in. It's annoying when you see a player who really is disconnected for whatever reason keep doubling-up, particularly on money bubbles.

Back when I did my 1,000 poker point to £1,000 bankroll challenge, several times I saw players cash in freerolls despite being disconnected for the whole tournament. Harsh on those who'd bubbled after participating.
  • edited December 2015
    Scroungers!...wait whaat?

This thread lolz
  • edited December 2015
    This has come up a few times on here remember 1 guy even claimed that it was cheating to be sitting out from the table. Beating an away player is the single most easiest thing to do in poker so to complain about it is madess.

If your struggling to beat an away player at the table then i suggest you make a post in the sitngo strategy section on the forum with regard to the best strategy on how to beat an away player at the table.  Id be more than happy to offer some advise with regards to icm considerations in a dym when there is an away player at the able and im sure plenty of others would be willing to help you aswell.

• edited December 2015
    I'd probably be bubble boy if everyone sat out.
  • edited December 2015
    "There is no point in continuing this exchange"

The next time somebody takes the time to politely explain why I'm clearly talking out of my doodar and I'm in a minority of 1%, I think I'll use this polite response.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Oh and how on earth did you know that i won a mere 14 in a row.??...????????
    Posted by brickbat

Sorcery.

What an amazing thread. Just when you think you've seen it all...

• edited December 2015
    I don't mind away players at all. In fact I'd happily have five at my table. For future reference I always make a note against those who I see pulling the oldest trick in the book; suddenly sitting back in when they pick up a premium hand. There's one thing though. I've always thought the cards of an away player should be killed when they're auto all-in. It's annoying when you see a player who really is disconnected for whatever reason keep doubling-up, particularly on money bubbles. Back when I did my 1,000 poker point to £1,000 bankroll challenge, several times I saw players cash in freerolls despite being disconnected for the whole tournament. Harsh on those who'd bubbled after participating.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Hi Gary,

That's probably fair comment, & I'm unsure why it is set up that way.

Mostly - not always but mostly - it is of no import, as blinds are huge, but yes, now & then it can make a difference. 

• edited December 2015
    Posted by brickbat
    Hi Brickbat,

I know because I looked you up on SS.

Why?

The Forum needs new blood, on poker sites & forum there is a natural "churn", & it's my job - & everyone else who enjoys this Forum really - to try & encourage new blood on here.

In real life, when we first meet a stranger, we shake hands, make eye contact, ask how their journey was or whatever. The art of conversation & social etiquette.

Online it's different, so an alternative etiquette is needed. 

So I always do this with online "strangers".

1) Address them by name. Just common civility.

2) Look at the Sky Poker Community Profile. (Just click their Avatar, it takes you to their profile). People fill it in, fave hand, how long playing poker, where they live, da de da. Gives a conversation point.

"So you live in Bristol, have you visited IKB's wonderful Temple Meads Railway Station?". That always works. Almost always. 

However, you have not filled your profile in, so that never worked.

3) Look at any previous posts. I did not glean much from that, 4 or 5 posts, but it told me you played DYM's. So....

4) Go to SS, to have a look at your playing profile. It only gives a "snapshot", but certain assumptions can readily be made from it.

And from that, when I looked at your last 100 DYM's, I insta spotted a long winning run (over several days as it happens) of 14. BOOM, there's my conversation point. Which worked. Sort of.

It's about even money that in 14 DYM's, at LEAST one of them would have involved an AWAY player, which benefitted you considerably. Without them, you may not have won 14 straight.

So there it is.

Not going to debate the "AWAY" player thing with you any more, at your request, but it's a fact - you GAIN EV from AWAY players. See the excellent reply (above) by "bearlyther", who is a proper player, he's got earphones, dual monitors & everything.

Have a good day, & try for 15 next time.         

• edited December 2015

By the bye, I, or anyone else, can tell a LOT of things about any player, you included, from SS.
    Longest wining run, longest losing run, average stake, ROI, most & least profitable opponents, & a shed load more.

If you are uncomfortable with that info being in the domain, you can Opt Out in a matter of seconds, no questions asked, & then your stats are "blocked".
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Non plying players at dyms : Hi Brickbat,   I know because I looked you up on SS.   Why? The Forum needs new blood, on poker sites & forum there is a natural "churn", & it's my job - & everyone else who enjoys this Forum really - to try & encourage new blood on here.   In real life, when we first meet a stranger, we shake hands, make eye contact, ask how their journey was or whatever. The art of conversation & social etiquette. Online it's different, so an alternative etiquette is needed.  So I always do this with online "strangers".   1) Address them by name. Just common civility. 2) Look at the Sky Poker Community Profile. (Just click their Avatar, it takes you to their profile). People fill it in, fave hand, how long playing poker, where they live, da de da. Gives a conversation point. "So you live in Bristol, have you visited IKB's wonderful Temple Meads Railway Station? ". That always works. Almost always.  However, you have not filled your profile in, so that never worked.   3) Look at any previous posts. I did not glean much from that, 4 or 5 posts, but it told me you played DYM's. So.... 4) Go to SS, to have a look at your playing profile. It only gives a "snapshot", but certain assumptions can readily be made from it.   And from that, when I looked at your last 100 DYM's, I insta spotted a long winning run (over several days as it happens) of 14. BOOM, there's my conversation point. Which worked. Sort of. It's about even money that in 14 DYM's, at LEAST one of them would have involved an AWAY player, which benefitted you considerably. Without them, you may not have won 14 straight.   So there it is. Not going to debate the "AWAY" player thing with you any more, at your request, but it's a fact - you GAIN EV from AWAY players. See the excellent reply (above) by "bearlyther", who is a proper player, he's got earphones, dual monitors & everything. Have a good day, & try for 15 next time.             
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Non plying players at dyms : Hi Brickbat,   I know because I looked you up on SS.   Why? The Forum needs new blood, on poker sites & forum there is a natural "churn", & it's my job - & everyone else who enjoys this Forum really - to try & encourage new blood on here.   In real life, when we first meet a stranger, we shake hands, make eye contact, ask how their journey was or whatever. The art of conversation & social etiquette. Online it's different, so an alternative etiquette is needed.  So I always do this with online "strangers".   1) Address them by name. Just common civility. 2) Look at the Sky Poker Community Profile. (Just click their Avatar, it takes you to their profile). People fill it in, fave hand, how long playing poker, where they live, da de da. Gives a conversation point. "So you live in Bristol, have you visited IKB's wonderful Temple Meads Railway Station? ". That always works. Almost always.  However, you have not filled your profile in, so that never worked.   3) Look at any previous posts. I did not glean much from that, 4 or 5 posts, but it told me you played DYM's. So.... 4) Go to SS, to have a look at your playing profile. It only gives a "snapshot", but certain assumptions can readily be made from it.   And from that, when I looked at your last 100 DYM's, I insta spotted a long winning run (over several days as it happens) of 14. BOOM, there's my conversation point. Which worked. Sort of. It's about even money that in 14 DYM's, at LEAST one of them would have involved an AWAY player, which benefitted you considerably. Without them, you may not have won 14 straight.   So there it is. Not going to debate the "AWAY" player thing with you any more, at your request, but it's a fact - you GAIN EV from AWAY players. See the excellent reply (above) by "bearlyther", who is a proper player, he's got earphones, dual monitors & everything. Have a good day, & try for 15 next time.             
    Posted by Tikay10
    gosh may i very respectfully urge you not to broadcast info on other players form unless you first obtain their permission so to do . This is my last use of this forum in what i must assume is typical of social media. In the meanwhile i will search to find another poker site.
  • edited December 2015
    Never was there a better time in Skys history to approve this photo instantly.

INSTANTLY , I SAY

• edited December 2015
    Cheerio.

Great thread.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Non plying players at dyms : gosh may i very respectfully urge you not to broadcast info on other players form unless you first obtain their permission so to do . This is my last use of this forum in what i must assume is typical of social media. In the meanwhile i will search to find another poker site.
    Posted by brickbat
    I didn't see that coming much

regards
    DM