You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Wintwer Giveaway, Saturday - time for the MTT-ers to win a few bob.

2»

Comments

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Wintwer Giveaway, Saturday - time for the MTT-ers to win a few bob.:
    In Response to Re: Wintwer Giveaway, Saturday - time for the MTT-ers to win a few bob. : I dont think you can take too much from the recent promo as anyone who properly went for the promo was kind of having a punt as they were guessing what the prizes would be. 
    Posted by MattBates

• edited December 2015
    I know it wasn't deliberate avoidance and you're just a vv busy bloke Tikay but you intrigued me by saying you thought the reasoning behind a (perceived) lack of MTT promos was very different from what I suggested so I'm still really interested to hear what your opinion on the matter is.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Wintwer Giveaway, Saturday - time for the MTT-ers to win a few bob.:
    I know it wasn't deliberate avoidance and you're just a vv busy bloke Tikay but you intrigued me by saying you thought the reasoning behind a (perceived) lack of MTT promos was very different from what I suggested so I'm still really interested to hear what your opinion on the matter is.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Afternoon (?) Paul, & a happy non-smoking Xmas to you & your family.

No, not deliberate avoidance, but any reply would need context, if not, it gets picked to pieces, & so that's a lengthy process.

After I offered to explain, I sort of immediately thought "that was a dumb thing to say", as there's no real right & wrong in these things, & people tend to post & form views based upon  self-interest.  So I decided a better way was to wait until UKPC, then buy you a coffee & sit quietly in a corner & explain it to you face to face, that always works better. 

Anyway, I said I'd explain, & now you've asked again, so I'd best be good to my word & give it a try.

You did get half the story right, in your 2 posts on 15/12, but there is a lot more to it than that. 

For others reading this, the debate began, I think, with your comment on 12th December, in which you said, not for the first time, something along these lines....

"N1 Sky, refreshing change to see the MTT boys get a Promo". 

And I expressed the view that, imo, that's a little unbalanced.

More follows as soon as time permits.

• edited December 2015

Promotions

There's quite a lot of disconnect in how Promos work, why they are done, & their cost.

For research purposes, for something else, a few days ago I took a look at the thread in which the new Rewards System (which started June 1st) was announced.

It's a goldmine for psychologists that thread, some really weird things were said, but also for the amount of different people who pointed the finger at Sky & said "it's just Sky being sneaky & reducing their costs".

Nothing could be further from the truth, or more misguided, but these people have these things set in their mind so the comments don't get rebutted. 

Promo spend is set in advance, & Promos are mapped out months in advance. (Look out for the next one, early next week), but they are planned right through to June, the financial year end.

And they HAVE to spend £x & nobody gets a medal for spending less than £x. 

And £x is a % of total, forecast Margin. (Margin is reg fees & rake).

All that has to be decided is how, & on what Products, it is spent. They HAVE to spend £x, no matter what. It's how The Business works, right across SB&G.

The Products?

Cash Games

SNG's

MTT's. 

Cash games get most of the promo spend? Yes, or course. Industry wide, Cash Games are two thirds of total business, with SNG's & MTT's roughly splitting half & half the remaining one third. Sky Poker is in that ball park.

Cash Games.

From a Business perspective, these are reasonably low-maintenance. Set up the Tables, that's it. They rarely change, apart from occasional new products, say, Action Tables or Spin Up Tables.

Staff resource needed to run them? Almost zero, because they never change, & there's no need to worry about structures & all that stuff.

Promos? Easy. Double, treble, quadruple points, points races, etc. And the data PROVES they do their job, which is to encourage more players, to play more, more often. Both parties benefit.  

SNG's. 

Same as cash games, low maintenance, & don't need much looking after, & Promos work exactly the same as Cash Games. SNG players CAN & DO play more, more often, during Promos.

MTT's.

That's the awkward one, & MTTs are a vey different thing altogether.

More follows....
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Wintwer Giveaway, Saturday - time for the MTT-ers to win a few bob. : Afternoon (?) Paul, & a happy non-smoking Xmas to you & your family. No, not deliberate avoidance, but any reply would need context, if not, it gets picked to pieces, & so that's a lengthy process.   After I offered to explain, I sort of immediately thought "that was a dumb thing to say", as there's no real right & wrong in these things, & people tend to post & form views based upon  self-interest.  So I decided a better way was to wait until UKPC, then buy you a coffee & sit quietly in a corner & explain it to you face to face, that always works better.  Anyway, I said I'd explain, & now you've asked again, so I'd best be good to my word & give it a try.   You did get half the story right, in your 2 posts on 15/12, but there is a lot more to it than that.  For others reading this, the debate began, I think, with your comment on 12th December, in which you said, not for the first time, something along these lines.... "N1 Sky, refreshing change to see the MTT boys get a Promo".   And I expressed the view that, imo, that's a little unbalanced.   More follows as soon as time permits.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Don't worry about replying now, I'm happy to do it over a coffee at UKPC too. You should go enjoy Christmas.

Thanks, I forget cos I'm not keeping track really but think its a calendar month+ of none smoking now. Not much point counting when you know its for good :)

Merry Christmas to you and your lady friend.

EDIT: Too late lol, you've done it now, tyty will go read it now
  • edited December 2015

Ha, too late.

As Magnus Whatsit says on MasterMind, I've started so I'll finish......

• edited December 2015

MTT's.

So, to your issue.

It's a different product entirely, as the methodology used in Cash Games & SNG's does not work fort MTT's, as you noted in one of your posts on 15th December.

There is only one Main Event per night, folks can't play 2 or 3 because a Promo is on, it does not work that way. 

MTT players also have a different behavioural pattern. Many of the bigger guys play 3 or 4 events here, alongside a selection from other sites. More Reward Points ain't ever going to change that.

As a Product, for Staff resource to look after, it takes MUCH more resource than cash games & SNG's put together. I'm sure you can see that. 

MTT's are infinitely higher maintenance. Structures, satellites, blind increments, Guarantees, Lobby issues, set up issues, etc.

Schedule tweaking all the time, too, with seasonal traffic going down every Spring, up every Autumn, etc. Then add in weather (bad weather is good, good weather is bad) big televised sporting events - MNF, CL, Euro2016, World Cup, Olympics, time of month (relative to pay week....) & any number of other things affect MTT traffic. Well ALL traffic, but Cash Game & SNG's don't need tweaking or Guarantees being adjusted. MTT's do.

Big "Live" Events are now a staple of MTT & Satellite action on Sky Poker, too, with 2 x UKPC, plus Punta Cana & VLV. These all need bespoke scheduling & satellite structures.

Then there is UKOPS 4 times per year.

Again, each one is bespoke, all the structures need to be sorted, & as much variety as possible included. Then design all the satellites for them. Try getting every one of those right & pleasing everybody.

So MTT's do take quite a lot of resource & work, far more than Cash & SNG's. That's no reason not to promote them, of course, & now we come to the heart of your contention that Sky Poker don't generally look after MTT players with Promos as much as they look after the other guys. In my view, I think they do. 

Nearly done now. That's my reply, AND the turkey.

More......            

• edited December 2015

MTT Promos

Well you already mentioned the occasional "Double Guarantee" Promo, whilst at the same time, alluding to the fact it rarely costs Sky Poker anything, May be fair comment, but the risk is there.

You never mentioned The Final Table Jackpot either.

When a discussion thread mentioned this a few months ago, you were one of many who suggested without this Promo, you may not play the Mini in future, which suggests you believe it has value to MTT players.

How much value? The Maths guys can take a stab at that one. Historically, it paid out around £10,600 in 2015 (so far) & £21,000 in 2014. Call it £15,000 per year. I reckon expected cost is around £17,000 pa, but no matter.

So that's £15k pa in MTT Promos.

Double Guarantees?

No idea what they cost, if anything. It's a Promo though. MTT players with an edge OUGHT to be more profitable if Guarantees are doubled, right?

UKOPS

Is that an MTT Promo? Arguable, but I'd say it was. It brings bigger fields, bigger guarantees, & for players like you, who have an edge, in theory, you should win more (long term). I'd say it was a Promo. 

There are 4 x UKOPS every year.

Freerolls

Every day, & with decent value. The daily Rewards Points Freeroll is advertised as £1,000, but it regularly has added value taking it to £1,500 or so. 5 days per week. That's a cool £400k pa.
    There's a Daily UKPC Freeroll, too, another £312 per weekday or £75k pa. 

Add in the little daily Freerolls, & that's serious money, & it benefits MTT players more than Cash or SNG players, because by definition, MTT players SHOULD do better in them. 

Are Freerolls a Promo? I'd say so.

UKPC, Punta Cana & Viva Las Vegas

These are all Proms imo. Anyone can enter them, but who has the best chance of doing well in them? Yup, MTT regulars. Many players farm the satellites for cash, too. 

Guarantees

Well these might not be described as Promos, but have you considered the value to MTT players of Overlay? This happens every week, & especially in the various satellites.

And it is impossible to get that Guarantee equation right. Overlay comes off the bottom line. 

It's not given away intentionally, no of course it's not, but its added value to MTT players, more so if they have an edge. How much does it average, per week, across 12 months? No idea, but it's a 6 figure number imo. (A theoretical £2,000 per week overlay in all MTT's & Satellites would amount to £100k pa).

Satellites, including those All-Ins which exercise so many, are particularly prone to Overlay. 

Note that Overlay does not exist in Cash Games & SNG's. It's unique to MTT's.  

So, add all those bits & bobs up, together with the difficulty of finding means other than all those I've listed above to stimulate MTT play (only one ME per night etc) & it is quite a head scratcher. 

Anyway there it is. I think Sky treat their MTT players as fairly as they are able, but it is a complex equation.

I hope that either answers your question, or at least gives you a wider understanding of the elements that need to be taken into account.

Right, next up, turkey dinner. 

Happy Christmas everyone.     

• edited January 2016
    Cheers Tikay, great reply. I'm just bumping this thread atm cos I wanna give you a proper reply but I only have a couple of minutes right now and my brain is like a sieve so I'll definitely forget otherwise.
  • edited January 2016
    I said I'd come back and reply, but as it happens I don't really have much to say other than cheers for the great reply. It isn't something that crossed my mind really the difference in resource required for say MTTs v Cash but that's a fair point. 

We can debate over a few minor things, for example, a lot of 'serious' players won't consider most freerolls to be of value because they aren't 'worth playing' and in terms of increased guarantees, if my ROI in a £33 BH is 30%, then it's 30% regardless of whether 200 people play or 300 people play... although the increased field size probably would 'dilute the standard' somewhat and maybe give me a bigger ROI.

Anyway, I'm nitpicking. I still think that Winter Giveaway one was nice though, actual free money, who doesn't love that :) 

I dunno if you have the info or are allowed to disclose it if you are, but I'd love to know what the numbers were like that day (Saturday 12th Dec) to say the Saturday before cos it did seem like there was a lot of hype around it (maybe it was just amongst the people I speak to) and deffo a few people really went all out for it. I didn't pay attention at the time to see if the games seemed to have more runners than usual or not.