You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hi guys, what is "variance"?

I've read about it but I'd probably understand it better from  a real person..

Comments

• edited February 2016
    In a word - luck. Good or bad.

• edited February 2016
    Not quite a real person Yet?

Its called a see-saw your happily going up and down then the good luck at the other end jumps off and you get     "VARIANCE"
  • edited February 2016
    ∫^2=[ ∑{x^d/dx} ^2]/y-1
  • edited February 2016
     You and your mate go out on the pull ..... you spot two chicks at the bar ..... one stunning the other like a bull dog....... your mate chats up the stunner you get "Variance"
  • edited February 2016
    Ok ,   May-be not quite got it right yet ? ..........  have another try.

Your of on your Holiday and paid extra for 1st class Air flights ..... only to be told by people in the next seat they got up-graded from economy class.    "Variance"
  • edited February 2016
       Not convinced yet we know what Variance is ..? 

Your Boss treats everyone to the day off ........ but you have to work.!
  • edited February 2016
     Your on a Boating Lake and your told it's a race to the other side..... everyone gets a boat but your one has a hole in it.!

Where's TK when you need him.?
  • edited February 2016
     You win a Hot Air balloon ride for 4 the wind picks up and sends you out to sea........ the gas runs out and you plunge into the Ocean........... a shark appears and grabs you........ Variance.! 
  • edited February 2016
      You go to the Tailor for a new Suit .... he asks you ..... which side do you hang ........ you tell him the left...... the suit arrives with the trousers hanging to the right.............. Variance, ?
  • edited February 2016
    The police stop you in the street and ask you to participate in line up at the police station because you are simular to the suspect ...... the victim then picks you out of the line up as the attacker.  Variance.!
  • edited February 2016
      Variance is not What ?
  • edited February 2016
     Your twelve strong celebrating a mates Birthday at the Pub..... everyone decides to take a leak at the same time...... Birthday Boy thinks it funny to run down the line pushing you up against the Urinals....... when everyone turns round.......... your the only one with Wet Pants.    extreme variance 
  • edited February 2016
      He's   Away  Player  in  this  Game ?
  • edited February 2016
    Your driving to to Coventry along the M6 and break down at the village of Ansty.

You phone the AA and they say they have a mechanic in the area .

You say thats very Ansty.
  • edited February 2016
  • edited February 2016
    You're driving up the M1 at 71 miles per hour  speed camera clock's you at 85   you get a ticket ...........  you go to court the judge doubles your fine........ you complain to the high court which upholds verdict  you then take your case to the European Court of Human Rights they agree with verdict......... you get triple fine and 10 year prison sentence with no parole  ........ variance
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Hi guys, what is "variance"?:
    Posted by sweeney86
    Hi Sweeney,

Your questions seems to have been lost in a sea of unrelated stuff, so I'll try & explain variance in simple terms. Hopefully, I qualify as a "real person".
  • edited February 2016

Technically, variance is when we run above or below expectation.

We'll use a nice easy example, & rounded numbers to make it easier.

Let's say we have A-A & our opponent has 7-7.

Mathematically, we are around 80% to win this hand.

Assuming we get it all-in pre-flop, & we play this exact same hand 1,000 times, we SHOULD, in theory, win it 800 times. The more times we run this same hand - say 10,000, or 100,000, the more likely we will win 80% of the time.

Now what happens of we take a sample size of one. 

If we WIN the hand, for which we were an 80% shot, we are running ABOVE EXPECTATION. That's positive variance. We got lucky. We are running good.

If we LOSE the hand, for which we were an 80% shot, we are running BELOW expectation. That's negative variance. We are running bad.

For the maths to work out, we need a large sample size. So over 100,000 hands, we'll likely run EXACTLY to expectation. Over 10 hands, we will ALMOST NEVER run EXACTLY to expectation. 

In a nutshell, that is variance. In effect, it's luck. Nothing wrong with getting A-A in v 7-7. If we lose it's bad luck. If 7-7 wins, it's good luck for him. 

Over the long term, it all cancels itself out, all other things being equal.

When people hoot & holler that their Aces got beat by sevens last night, ra ra ra, they forget the times their sevens beat Aces. That's selective memory at work. Or, put another way, a bad loser, or someone who has no grasp of how maths work. 80% is not 100%.      
  • edited February 2016

In practice, in real life, I saw some extreme variance last night.

These 2 hands took place one minute apart in separate £11 PLO8 DYM's.

In the first hand, I had my man completely locked up - he had ONE out on the river & pinged it. I had to look twice, to see why the chips had gone across to him. I felt a little aggrieved - "how did he get there? sorta thing. No matter, move on.

A minute later, I got in in real bad, my K-K-x-x v Eon's A-A-2-3. It's hard to be in worse shape than that. On the flop, I got no help, but I hit runner runner backdoor flush & scooped.

There's both sides variance. I ran badly below expectation in the first example, hugely above expectation in the 2nd.

Run those 2 hands 10,000 times & they'll likely come out EXACTLY to expectation.

Hope that helps.   
  • edited February 2016

Word of warning. Many losing players blame "variance". They might be right, but it's often the case that they are not playing the hand correctly.

If we go back to our A-A v 7-7 scenario, the ods of 80% are PRE FLOP.

If we try to get cute, & limp into the pot to try & trap 7-7 man, then the odds change dramatically, as we give 7-7 man a chance to hit his 7. We also risk other players being in the hand, so our odds reduce again.

• edited February 2016
     Better "Late" than Never ......... Mr T  but not as good as the other sensible answers ?

Well not as much fun.!
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"?:
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"? : Reminding sweeney86,that you can avoid negative variance alltogether,by folding your premium AA KK etc pre flop in certain circumstances,something sadly for me i never do.
    Posted by chilling
    This is a joke yes?
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"? : This is a joke yes?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    A third clueless, third bad comedian and a a third troll me thinks. 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"? : A third clueless, third bad comedian and a a third troll me thinks. 
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Enough about me, what about Chilling?
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"? : It was only a bit of fun,but if you seriously think im a troll then you should carry on with your knitting.
    Posted by chilling
    If you had read my post properly you will have noticed that I only called you 1/3 troll.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Hi guys, what is "variance"?:
    Posted by sweeney86
    Hi again Sweeney,

In case you missed it, I have replied at length to your question, but you may have missed it in amongst a sea of deleterious matter.

Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • edited February 2016
    variance is such an interesting subject.

once you start to understand expectation and what you can and cant control it can not only improve your poker playing skill set, but also how much you enjoy the game. i'd argue that understanding variance can also filter in your 'real-life' away from the tables.

to expand upon the excellent posts by tikay:

why do poker players use the word variance as opposed to luck?

well i'd argue it is a much more dispassionate word. luck is emotive and is also a quality that we can assign to others and ourselves. we may view some people as lucky, and ourselves as unlucky. doing so is emotive. if we feel we are unlucky we can curse our luck or bemoan the jamminess of others.

however saying 'i've just been on the wrong side of variance' implies that you dont see yourself as being inherently more or less lucky than someone else, that you understand the distances from expectation in poker and also that the spell is only temporary [compared to if you see yourself as being inherently unlucky]

it also avoids percieved injustice where you dont win your 'fair' share or that villain didnt 'deserve' to win that pot. shedding these emotions will improve your enjoyment of the game. half the posters in this sub-forum seem to loath the game and themsleves [i am so unlucky, the game is so rigged, why do i bother]

no, you've experienced variance. we all experience variance. its inerent in the game, and indeed life.

-----

just how much variance there is in poker is often underestimated.

• most understand getting AA cracked is variance.

• a good number understand that AA holding up is actually positive variance [as tikay explained].

• but getting dealt AA is positive variance

• getting AA when villain has KK is positive variance.

• getting AA cracked is variance, but getting it cracked on the pay bubble of a big MTT is variance, doing so v the chip leader is variance.

• when the table breaks in an MTT getting sandwiched between tommyD and Divsdreams is variance.

alll these things can compound on top of another and show up in your expected winrate. its not as simple as all-in luck.
  • edited February 2016
    Excellent post as always from Teddy, and he touches on variance related stuff away from your cards. Table draws, table balancing, getting disconnected (online), miss-deals (live), all stuff you might not consider part of the variance family but they are.
  • edited February 2016
    In a single MTT last night, I had quads once and 2 straight flushes. I also lost an all in pot with 44 vs AQ as the board ran out xKJKJ.

In a separate MTT, I beat AA and QQ with QT (ahem), then eventually bust when AA couldn't hold vs 55 on a 3 6 7 flop.

Swings and swongs.
  • edited February 2016
    i've gained a much bigger understanding from grinding spins on the big site.

the variance there can compound in unusual ways.

most obviously in prize pool distribution:

i can spin a hige prize pool win and i'll be over EV for life.

but what if i run bad in prize pool distribution?

what if i run good in prize pool distribution but run horribly in all-in EV in those big prize pools?

the HU portion of spins is by far the most profitable - its where most of your cEV per tournament comes from. so any run bad - be card distribution, coolers, all-in luck - that effects how often you get HU will expoentially effect your overall chip EV.

you are randomly assigned positions. over my last 1k games i have 20 more buttons than SB's 3 handed. given my bb/100 in the button towers over my bb/100 in the SB that will show up in my expected winrate, howver smalll that effect is.

you are randomly assigned tables. getting a table with two sick HUSNG players is going to kill my winrate esp compared to getting 2 new depositting players. getting the sickos in a big prize pool is going to hurt even more - but i might just run good.

so all these things can compound on top of each other, or cancel each other out.

there will be analogous effects for all game types.

understanding them will help you ride out the variance, good or bad.