You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Neil Channing

edited March 2016 in Poker Chat
Walking through Oxford city centre half an hour ago I spot someone famous. I stare at him for about 20 seconds but can't picture where I know him from. I wrack my brains but can't place him so have to walk on, as it's getting embarrassing standing there like a wally. Ten minutes later on the bus I twig that it's you, as he had your trademark "windswept" hair. 
Were you in Oxford today around 12.30? I'd love to know that it was actually you :)

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Bump.

I feel this is important.
  • edited March 2016
     There was a look-a-like at Nottingham Dusk till Dawn TK "bumped" into him. ?
  • edited March 2016
    Stalking much duck ;)
  • edited March 2016
    ****BREAKING********

Exclusive: Unconfirmed first pictures coming in of Neil Channing spotted in Oxford City Centre...

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: FAO Neil Channing:
    Stalking much duck ;)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Everyone loves a stalker! :)
  • edited March 2016
    ****BREAKING******** Exclusive: Unconfirmed first pictures coming in of Neil Channing spotted in Oxford City Centre...
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Hmmm, tbh I wouldn't say he looked quite that "kempt"
    ;)
  • edited March 2016

That was me. Had a lovely two day holiday in Oxford. It was great.

You should have said hi. The bloke serving breakfast yesterday asked if I was a stand-up comedian as he thought he knew me from somewhere.
  • edited March 2016
     That was me. Had a lovely two day holiday in Oxford. It was great.  You should have said hi. The bloke serving breakfast yesterday asked if I was a stand-up comedian as he thought he knew me from somewhere.
    Posted by NChanning
    Must of seen you play poker :)
  • edited March 2016

Indeed (teed that one up for you).
  • edited March 2016
    this thread has made me lol :)
  • edited March 2016
     That was me. Had a lovely two day holiday in Oxford. It was great.  You should have said hi. The bloke serving breakfast yesterday asked if I was a stand-up comedian as he thought he knew me from somewhere.
    Posted by NChanning
    Dangnamit! I only realised after I'd got on the bus :(
    Glad you had a nice trip, what did you get up to in Oxford? What did you say to the breakfast bloke?

• edited March 2016
    Breakfast bloke probably mistook him for this guy...

• edited March 2016
    This is going to be a good P66, can you not link to a online photo or draw it with keyboard characters, the suspense.
  • edited March 2016
    This is going to be a good P66, can you not link to a online photo or draw it with keyboard characters, the suspense.
    Posted by mumsie
    No. You will just have to wait.

It seems odd that skypoker prefer to allow links that direct people away from  their forum to photo sharing sites that bombard you with targeted adverts. 

I have started a thread on the issue before and it seems unlikely that things will change so I won't repeat the full rant here.

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: FAO Neil Channing : No. You will just have to wait. It seems odd that skypoker prefer to allow links that direct people away from  their forum to photo sharing sites that bombard you with targeted adverts.  I have started a thread on the issue before and it seems unlikely that things will change so I won't repeat the full rant here.
    Posted by Phantom66
    As I have said many times previously, I agree with you entirely, the logic is, to my way of thinking, completely & utterly bizarre.

I have made that point repeatedly & vigorously to all of the Management Team, including the CEO, for many years now. It's 23-0 to them at the moment.

Ever hopeful & optimistic, another means to air my views on this matter, & the community Software generally, has now presented itself, following discussions with Team Suit at the UKPC, & I'll have further opportunity to discuss it, & my alternative proposals, at a Meeting in Head Office just before Easter.

Its not something that exercises me terribly, nobody will die (perspective), but it's such an easy win for Sky Poker if we could improve the Forum Software generally.

I have a tinsy winsy bit of authority in this matter, as I now look after the Forum, and I intend to pursue this as hard as I'm able. Even so, the decision making wheels on these seemingly easy wins grinds very slowly, & I'd not be surprised if I were an OAP before it gets resolved. Or even an ex OAP.  
  • edited March 2016

My girlfriend is a big fan of Andy Warhol and I noticed recently that the Ashmolean had an exhibition of some of his work. We've been to look at his art on several continents so it seemed like an easy one to do being one hour away on the train. It's over two years since we went on a holiday without me playing any poker and I thought it was about time I rectified that, especially as it's her birthday this week. In all the many years we have been together I don't think I've remembered her birthday more than twice and she either tells me it's her birthday half way through the day or doesn't mention it until weeks later when she drops it in while referencing that day or week.

I thought it would be a nice surprise to go to Oxford. The only problem was I had a few things that I needed to do on Monday and Tuesday and on Friday.

We ended up going on a two day and one night holiday.

It was lovely. We went straight to the museum, then checked in to the Malmaison which is a hotel that used to be Oxford Prison. We stayed in A-wing in a room the size of three cells with a little cell door and a view of the exercise yard if you can reach the small windows at the top of the bedroom wall.

If you walk out of the room you are on the landing and you can march up and down the iron stairs and hang out in the association area.

In the morning we had porridge on metal trays and that set us up for an afternoon of hopping on and off tourist busses and going to look at the colleges. A quick shopping trip to Bicester Village followed and we were home after 32 hours.

It was great. I'm planning our next holiday already. Just working through the mountain of post, dealing with the backlog of emails and catching up on phonecalls that build up when you are away.

Oxford is lovely. Do you live there? You are very lucky. Do you ever wander around the colleges and find the architecture awe-inspiring or is it all routine and it just washes over you after a while?
  • edited March 2016
    go to Stoke you will be inspired....not to go again..tho i love it :)
  • edited March 2016
     My girlfriend is a big fan of Andy Warhol and I noticed recently that the Ashmolean had an exhibition of some of his work. We've been to look at his art on several continents so it seemed like an easy one to do being one hour away on the train. It's over two years since we went on a holiday without me playing any poker and I thought it was about time I rectified that, especially as it's her birthday this week. In all the many years we have been together I don't think I've remembered her birthday more than twice and she either tells me it's her birthday half way through the day or doesn't mention it until weeks later when she drops it in while referencing that day or week.  I thought it would be a nice surprise to go to Oxford. The only problem was I had a few things that I needed to do on Monday and Tuesday and on Friday.  We ended up going on a two day and one night holiday.  It was lovely. We went straight to the museum, then checked in to the Malmaison which is a hotel that used to be Oxford Prison. We stayed in A-wing in a room the size of three cells with a little cell door and a view of the exercise yard if you can reach the small windows at the top of the bedroom wall.  If you walk out of the room you are on the landing and you can march up and down the iron stairs and hang out in the association area.  In the morning we had porridge on metal trays and that set us up for an afternoon of hopping on and off tourist busses and going to look at the colleges. A quick shopping trip to Bicester Village followed and we were home after 32 hours.  It was great. I'm planning our next holiday already. Just working through the mountain of post, dealing with the backlog of emails and catching up on phonecalls that build up when you are away.  Oxford is lovely. Do you live there? You are very lucky. Do you ever wander around the colleges and find the architecture awe-inspiring or is it all routine and it just washes over you after a while?
    Posted by NChanning
       Wow!   their's a girl easy to please on her Birthday........... just go down to Tesco line up a load of can's of Soup ..... take a picture and Bingo she'll be over the moon,  you wont even have to buy them.   win .... win

• edited March 2016
     My girlfriend is a big fan of Andy Warhol and I noticed recently that the Ashmolean had an exhibition of some of his work. We've been to look at his art on several continents so it seemed like an easy one to do being one hour away on the train. It's over two years since we went on a holiday without me playing any poker and I thought it was about time I rectified that, especially as it's her birthday this week. In all the many years we have been together I don't think I've remembered her birthday more than twice and she either tells me it's her birthday half way through the day or doesn't mention it until weeks later when she drops it in while referencing that day or week.  I thought it would be a nice surprise to go to Oxford. The only problem was I had a few things that I needed to do on Monday and Tuesday and on Friday.  We ended up going on a two day and one night holiday.  It was lovely. We went straight to the museum, then checked in to the Malmaison which is a hotel that used to be Oxford Prison. We stayed in A-wing in a room the size of a cell with a little cell door and a view of the exercise yard if you can reach the small windows at the top of the bedroom wall.  If you walk out of the room you are on the landing and you can march up and down the iron stairs and hang out in the association area.  In the morning we had porridge on metal trays and that set us up for an afternoon of hopping on and off tourist busses and going to look at the colleges. A quick shopping trip to Bicester Village followed and we were home after 32 hours.  It was great. I'm planning our next holiday already. Just working through the mountain of post, dealing with the backlog of emails and catching up on phonecalls that build up when you are away.  Oxford is lovely. Do you live there? You are very lucky. Do you ever wander around the colleges and find the architecture awe-inspiring or is it all routine and it just washes over you after a while?
    Posted by NChanning
    Lucky girl.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: FAO Neil Channing : Lucky girl.
    Posted by LmfaoAllin
    Treat em mean.
  • edited March 2016
    bump for anyone waiting for the pic.

It was Johnny Galecki aka Leonard Hofstadter from The Big Bang theory.

I believe I am not the first to draw the comparison although Mr Ambo cannot see the resemblance.
  • edited March 2016
    Yes, p66, made me smile, spot on.

+1
  • edited March 2016
    bump for anyone waiting for the pic. It was Johnny Galecki aka Leonard Hofstadter from The Big Bang theory. I believe I am not the first to draw the comparison although Mr Ambo cannot see the resemblance.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Sent you a PM about this.
  • edited March 2016

I can see it. I agree, although I seem to be getting way fatter than him.

Is he ok? Ill? He must be shrinking.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: FAO Neil Channing : Sent you a PM about this.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Replied thanks
  • edited March 2016
    Yep I live here, been here about 5 years now I think. On a day to day basis it all washes over me as I'm trying to get from A to B through the masses of French and Spanish teenagers and hoards of Japanese tourists taking photos of everything! ;) these guys are my livelihood though so although I find it frustrating, especially in summer, I need them. I tend to avoid the centre when I'm not working too because it's so crowded and I'm certain to bump into students whenever I venture in, but I do love wandering round when I'm free. I've recently started running, and I absolutely love running around the river and canal areas. The Ashmolean is really cool but next time you visit, try to go to the Natural History Museum/Pitt Rivers which is imo the most amazing museum in the whole world, I go there quite a bit and recently they had a night experience thing with live music and they turn off all the lights and you go around with torches and it's incredibly interactive, they encourage you to touch everything and there's weird things to eat and drink, it's really a unique place. The Ashmolean has night events too come to think of it! I've heard great things about them too.
    I've always wondered about staying in the prison, would you recommend it? Mrduck and I are getting married this year so I might put some of our guests in there ;)
    My main complaints about Oxford are that it's completely unaffordable living wise. We want to buy a house here but it's unattainable for most and the rent is extortionate too so it's a struggle and the other thing is despite Oxford being so rich there really is a big homelessness problem here which is really really upsetting to see and I get quite angry about that.
    You do realise now that your girlfriend will be expecting a trip every year for her birthday :))
  • edited March 2016

^^^

As it happened, I was with Neil last night Mrs Duck.

This week & next week are perhaps his busiest 2 weeks of the year, prepping for, & during, Cheltenham Week, so you may not hear from him for a while.

Since his mini holiday, he has been attending Cheltenham "Preview" Meetings every night, & last night, he & Joe Beevers, his partner at Betting Emporium, held their own Cheltenham Preview Evening at the rather swanky Bleeding Heart Restaurant in London, opposite Farringdon Place. Charles Dickens was a customer there, so it's been around a while.

He's also written 3 lengthy articles about Cheltenham for B-E, was interviewed by Lee Davy for a lengthy piece on Calvin Ayre, & recorded a Cheltenham video for a bookmaker.

In the coming week, for each of the 4 days of Cheltenham, he will write a 700-1,000 word article for EVERY race, so some 28 articles in all.

On top of all that, he has to organise getting his own bets on. He remains, first & foremost, a professional sports bettor.

So there you go, hope that helps explain why he has not been around much this week, nor will we see much of him in the upcoming week.

• edited March 2016
    I vote Mrsduck for prime minister!

Enjoy your wedding day!

Ger