You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Neil Channing

2»

Comments

• edited March 2016

A typical day during Cheltenham week for Neil means getting up at 3am. (5am the rest of the year, same as me as it happens).

He studies the Racing Post first (he gets a copy delivered early as he's classed as a bookmaker), then peruses all the betting feeds on Twitter, followed by studying the form, runners & riders in every single race.

His system is to work through every horse in the race, &, one by one, eliminate those he has no plans to back or recommend. That will leave him with between 2 & 5 selections for each race.

Then he has to write the articles - 1 per race, & his schedule is to publish the first at 9am, then every 30 minutes, so the 7th & last piece each day goes up at Noon. By then, remember, he's been working for 9 hours. And whilst writing & studying, he has to field texts, phone calls, e-Mails & the like, often from friends & acquaintances wanting him to tip them a winner.  

• edited March 2016

2 to 5 horses in some races? Yup.

Some free tips for you here, as to pro sports betting on horse racing.

Rule # 1 - it is NOT about selecting winners, it is about selecting VALUE.

He will often dismiss a long odds on shot as it is not value, a horse priced at 2/5 & almost certain to win won't be recommended at 1/3. It's not value. At 1/2 yes, at 1/3, no. That is the very basis of successful sports betting.

His favourite races are where there is a good "shape" to the betting market, with a short priced favourite, and plenty of others priced at 6/1 & above. If the bookies offer extra places as a concession, he'll often recommend up to 5 or 6 - yes - horses in a single race. He believes it is almost impossible to have a bad bet in some races with the right betting shape.

2 or 3 years ago, in the opening Supreme Novices Hurdle (now sponsored by Sky Bet), he recommended that I back SIX horses each way. I did, & we made a tidy profit. Who'd have thought? The bookies rarely make those offers, but when they do, he's all over it. His favourite line is punish those bookies.

2 years ago, he recommended Lord Windemere as the Gold Cup winner at 40/1. We all got on, & it was oioi all afternoon as the horse duly trotted up.

He does have lengthy losing spells, but its like variance in poker, or playing MTT's, you just have to look at the long term, & he shows a profit every year.

I can barely recall him backing a favourite, as the jollies are almost always over bet (too short) so don't represent value. Value is the key, not finding winners at any price. A bookie builds a profit margin into his book, so to beat the bookies, you have to find a way to overcome that profit margin. It's rarely by backing favourites.          

• edited March 2016
    Wow what a clever bloke he deserves he gets in life. dedicated to the core 
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: FAO Neil Channing:
    Wow what a clever bloke he deserves he gets in life. dedicated to the core 
    Posted by stokefc
    He certainly works hard - very hard - at what he does.

For that alone, I admire him greatly. In fact I admire anyone who works that hard.

• edited March 2016
    Would be nice if Mr canning could post e few tips in case we get lucky in the Cheltenham freerolls 
  • edited March 2016
    Cheers Tikay, I wasn't bumping the thread to try to annoy him or push him to reply, just wanted it to come back to the front page so he'd get a chance to see it when he pops on. Sounds like he's working super hard at the mo :)
    I'll re-bump after the racing ;) 

• edited March 2016
    I vote Mrsduck for prime minister! Enjoy your wedding day! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    :)))
    I'm far too lazy to be prime minister though :(
  • edited March 2016
    You have a crush on Neil don't you :D

• edited March 2016
    You have a crush on Neil don't you :D
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Well...that would be telling! ;)
  • edited March 2016
    Must be his big, floppy....hair.
  • edited March 2016

I'm lucky to still have hair at my age.

I hadn't forgotten to reply Mrs Duck, Tikay pretty much described my mental week. Just woke up after 10 hours sleep, I didn't leave the phone by the bed so I had that thing of having no idea what time it was and I could easily get another 10 hours, just felt like I should try and get back to normal.

The prison was great, pretty pricey though if you were planning to put up a lot of people. The place is very much a boutique hotel, very fancy stuff in the room and nothing forgotten. I think the whole theme is cute and fun and of course the whole thing is close to the town centre.

My whole love of Oxford comes down to Inspector Morse. I've seen every episode at least a dozen times and when walking around I was thinking "He got murdered there". It is gorgeous.

I went to the Oxford Cup once, a fun poker event that attracts local enthusiasts, a lot of whom are students, as well as post-grads from London and other places to play a small buy-in tournament. I think it was happening a few days after we left actually but if anyone is from around there you should try it next year as it's good fun.

I managed a really terrible day 1 at Cheltenham followed by three small winning days. Tikay is right, I rarely suggest backing favourites at these big meetings as I have a long-term view that the value lies elsewhere. This year the people who did no study at all who just bet the favourite in every race had their best ever year.

Sometimes the lettuce eats the rabbit.
  • edited March 2016
    Neil have you seen the film about the Palio in Siena? There was a very good Storyville on bbc4 a month or so back too. Not your traditional horse race (well actually, that's exactly what it is!), all the different angles strategies politics etc were very interesting I thought.
  • edited March 2016
     I'm lucky to still have hair at my age.  I hadn't forgotten to reply Mrs Duck, Tikay pretty much described my mental week. Just woke up after 10 hours sleep, I didn't leave the phone by the bed so I had that thing of having no idea what time it was and I could easily get another 10 hours, just felt like I should try and get back to normal.  The prison was great, pretty pricey though if you were planning to put up a lot of people. The place is very much a boutique hotel, very fancy stuff in the room and nothing forgotten. I think the whole theme is cute and fun and of course the whole thing is close to the town centre.  My whole love of Oxford comes down to Inspector Morse. I've seen every episode at least a dozen times and when walking around I was thinking "He got murdered there". It is gorgeous.  I went to the Oxford Cup once, a fun poker event that attracts local enthusiasts, a lot of whom are students, as well as post-grads from London and other places to play a small buy-in tournament. I think it was happening a few days after we left actually but if anyone is from around there you should try it next year as it's good fun.  I managed a really terrible day 1 at Cheltenham followed by three small winning days. Tikay is right, I rarely suggest backing favourites at these big meetings as I have a long-term view that the value lies elsewhere. This year the people who did no study at all who just bet the favourite in every race had their best ever year.  Sometimes the lettuce eats the rabbit.
    Posted by NChanning
    :) thanks for your reply
    Sounds like it's better to have one bad day at the races followed by three slightly better ones than the other way around. 
    Next time you come to Oxford you could scope out when they're filming something like Endeavour (is that the name?) and try and get yourself part as an extra or just walk around in the back of the shots in the streets ;) there's often things being filmed especially around the colleges.
    Anyway, hope you have a nice comedown from the races and keep up the good work!