You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

5k freeroll

2»

Comments

• edited March 2016

Why so many AWAY players this time?

This goes back to the Promo itself.

Most Promos used to have an "opt-in", but it produced countless complaints & chunters from players who tried to reach the qualifying criteria, & achieved it, only to find they had failed to opt in. As you can imagine, these players tended to get a little uppity, so the overall sentiment became negative, exactly the opposite to what was intended.

So recent Promos have not required Opt-In, including this one.

That in turn meant that many players who never even knew the Promo existed happened to qualify, & very few of these would have played the Freerolls they had unknowingly & inadvertently qualified for.

It's likely that many of the upcoming Promos, & most certainly any repeat of this one, will now revert to "Opt-In" to counteract this. And of course that will result in complaints again. And so the cycle continues.

These things all sound so obvious - "it's ridic Sky Poker allow so many away players", but it's rarely that simple.

• edited March 2016

The issue of AWAY players in Freerolls is very divisive.

Personally, if I were playing them, I'm in the "Happy Days, free equity" camp, but many players appear to think the opposite, & even suggest it is negative.

Opinions, schminions.

By way of balance to the complaints, a 3,500 runner £5,000 Freeroll is worth £1.43 per player.

If (as suggested) 50% of the players are AWAY, it's then worth £2.86 per player. (It may be correctly argued that some players cashed without being present, which would reduce that £2.86, but not by much).

What would YOU rather play? A Freeroll worth £1.43 per player, or one worth £2.86 per player?

• edited March 2016

Incidentally, due to the huge number of qualifiers (see the "Opt In" Post), an additional £5,000 Freeroll was added.

Why?

Well Sky Poker have never ran a 7,000 player MTT & it was thought prudent to break the runners into 2 batches. It should have been a £5,000 Freeroll with 7,000 players, worth £0.71 per player, so that decision alone doubled the effective value, which then doubled again if 50% of the players were AWAY. So not all bad. ;)

There is also an oft-repeated myth that Sky Poker servers cannot cope with that many runners, we see it stated time & time again. Last night was a busy night even excluding the 2 Freerolls, but there were no particular software problems, other than the Freeroll Lobby was laggy & slow to open. There WOULD have been problems in that Freeroll was a single MTT with 7,000 runners I suspect. The problem is NOT server capacity, it's how many the MTT software can comfortably cope with.   
  • edited March 2016

I hope that explains some of the reasons & answers the various questions.

It's quite fascinating to me how much interest & debate Freerolls generate. Good for the Post Count though, so that's a positive.  

• edited March 2016
    I liked playing last night.  One other guy at the table with me, had better position and hit loads, it feels like I didn't hit a flop in the whole game, though I am sure that wont be the case when I go back over hand history.

But all in all, a good promo.

Tikay I don't know how easy it would be to add to code, but I have played some sites that say if you haven't shown up in the first 20 mins or so, you get automatically removed.

Could be an extra option maybe?
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: 5k freeroll:
    I liked playing last night.  One other guy at the table with me, had better position and hit loads, it feels like I didn't hit a flop in the whole game, though I am sure that wont be the case when I go back over hand history. But all in all, a good promo. Tikay I don't know how easy it would be to add to code, but I have played some sites that say if you haven't shown up in the first 20 mins or so, you get automatically removed. Could be an extra option maybe?
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Yes, that's certainly worthy of some thought. Not sure where it would sit on the list of priorities, though, but yes, worth consideration.

Glad you enjoyed it.

• edited March 2016
    does anybody nowhat the jackpot freeroll password is pls.
  • edited March 2016
    does anybody nowhat the jackpot freeroll password is pls.
    Posted by lyneffect
    go on the jackpot freeroll site google it,.c+p the password normally a string of numbers then paste it in the registration box job done :)
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: 5k freeroll : go on the jackpot freeroll site google it,.c+p the password normally a string of numbers then paste it in the registration box job done :)
    Posted by stokefc
    thanks stokefc
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: 5k freeroll : go on the jackpot freeroll site google it,.c+p the password normally a string of numbers then paste it in the registration box job done :)
    Posted by stokefc
    thanks stokefc