You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HUFA II - Thoughts?

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat
If you don't know what HUFA I was see here...

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3aaefb758d-5b87-42f3-9bb0-f601d181065a&plckCurrentPage=0

It will be a few weeks before I launch HUFA II but just confirming I intend to do just that.

Churchy can bask in the glory of reigning champion for a while yet.

This IS NOT a registration thread.

Just wondering if anyone has observations/suggestions for improvement.

E.g.

Restricting no of entrants say to 64
Shorter time allowed per round
Longer lasting matches
Shorter matches
Is "home advantage" worth keeping or just make them all turbo / speed?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Comments

• edited March 2016
  • edited March 2016
    Thought you did a great job with the last one Phantom!

I liked the home advantage twist.

A little less time between fixtures would make it even better imo.

Mind you I can be an impatient so and so sometimes, so it might just be me. :=)

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited March 2016
    I think hufa 1 worked just fine.

There was no pressure on fixtures to be played and deadlines were relaxed.

Just my view obv, its not broke so it doesnt need fixing.

Oh, and its a winter sport, to have a 2nd fa cup coming into the summer would seem, err, tacky. We are British.
    Theres only one HuFa, Bovril and hot meat and tata pies.
    There should be 1 HUfa cup a year. The rest of th world is watching. 

Maybe have a summer cup of some kind i suppose . But a lesser event than the famous Hufa.

Youll have to buy another RNG for another event and a new carpet , you do realise this.

• edited March 2016
    how about a  league system before knockout? say home and away  
    1 week for fixtures to be played should be enough for all to play there games imo
  • edited March 2016

I thought the last one was as near perfect as its possible to get, & of you plan to do it again, I'd suggest you rinse repeat, it was superb.

We can arrange some prizes, similar to last time, too, if you are agreeable.  

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: HUFA II - Thoughts?:
    I think hufa 1 worked just fine. There was no pressure on fixtures to be played and deadlines were relaxed. Just my view obv, its not broke so it doesnt need fixing. Oh, and its a winter sport, to have a 2nd fa cup coming into the summer would seem, err, tacky. We are British. Theres only one HuFa, Bovril and hot meat and tata pies. There should be 1 HUfa cup a year. The rest of th world is watching.  Maybe have a summer cup of some kind i suppose . But a lesser event than the famous Hufa. Youll have to buy another RNG for another event and a new carpet , you do realise this.
    Posted by mumsie
    What about shifting things to a World Cup/European Championships, group stages into KO games... means you only need to do one draw as all entrants would have a clear path to the final?
  • edited March 2016
    The original was great.

Personally, I would start with Best of 5 & increase from there.

Maybe consider a league as well.

Also, people start taking holidays more from April so shortening time for games might be an issue across the summer.
  • edited March 2016

Couldn't play the last one, as i was going on my hols, so good point by Tiger lad.  Will endeavour to participate in this one.
  • edited March 2016
    How about a European Championships instead, since its the summer approaching.Initially put people into qualifying groups (everyone plays each other once) and top so many qualify from each group for the Euro finals (depending how many you want that to be 32 or 24) then like the Euros have groups and then last 16 knockout.
    Just an idea has its pros and cons but thought I'dthrow it out there!

I loved your format the last time but like stayorgo probably reduce the timeframe for fixtures to be played.

Goodluck either way.

Ger
  • edited March 2016
    Sorry I just read the previous posts and looks like other have suggested this too! 
  • edited March 2016
    I didn't play the last one because of laptop issues but did watch with interest and thought the original format was pretty much spot on... But if i had been the winner (Churchy18?), i would like my bragging rights to last longer! 

So, if as has been suggested; You were to title/name this next comp as a different entity from the last, then the winner of each different comp would have a few months bragging rights until defending there crown. Maybe also have like Wimbledon, the previous winner/defending champion plays the 1st match at home(centre court!) and then see if any early round upsets occur.

Great comp, well done.

Dave.
  • edited March 2016

hi phanto,

what you do with this competition is excellent.  little can improve things. 

one idea is to reduce the duration of each round as the tournament progresses.  even consider a semi-finals and finals weekend.

good work.

• edited March 2016
    Thanks all - some good ideas so far.

I kind of like the thought of keeping the HUFA a once a year thing with its own special characteristics and a straight knockout anyone can play anyone.

I won't start registration until September for HUFA II and Churchy wiill forever be THE 2015/16 Champion.

But we dont want to wait until then for more Heads Up action do we?

A Euro championship themed event with mini league and knock out sounds a great idea.

Will be limited in numbers, I wont wait until June like the Euros as more people likely to be away and may not want to actually play while the footie is on. So will look at running it April/May.

Take the point on best of 5 from round 1 - it makes sure there is more play - but will it put the pure recs off? Or even some regs if it's seen as taking too much time away from their normal grind? Maybe the competitive streak in the regs prefer more games to maximise their "edge"?

For the Euros could play 4 games in 1st round so draws are possible, 5 in knockouts and more for SF and Final?

Plenty of time for more suggestions for either event.
  • edited March 2016
    think the way the comp was run was brilliant not because i won but it ran smoothly and was well organised think if you try a league format it will be more hassle arranging fixtures and so on than just a straight heads up game with only 2 people having to agree a time and date to play whereas what if say player a plays 2 games out of 3 winning 1 then disappears with the 1 game to go not really fair awarding the last player a walkover when that could put someone who played his 3 games out.

Do like the idea of a league format but do feel it may become problematic and adding games may impact on entries and of course will give the more accomplished h/up players more of an edge than they already have which may also put some off

But either way im looking forward to it and know  you will do the same excellent work you did in the 1st competition and make it be a success again.

all the best churchy18 the sky poker h/u F.A.cup 2015/16 champion
    Do agree with this post as well from Any2Suited
    I didn't play the last one because of laptop issues but did watch with interest and thought the original format was pretty much spot on... But if i had been the winner (Churchy18?), i would like my bragging rights to last longer!

Just 1 thing why the ? mark after my name? :@P if you fancy a best of 5 games just leave a reply and we can have a go but believe me im rotten but what does that say about my opponents :@}
  • edited March 2016
    LOL, great reply Churchy +1 ?
  • edited March 2016
    a league system with winner and runner up progressing, 4 players per league playing home and away, with home player having advantage of game selection.

1 week to play the fixture 

players not completing games in 2 weeks are booted with points won removed.

winners to be drawn against runners up and 2 knockouts drawn at same time ie winner of game a plays winner game b to give players option to get it done quicker if not available following week.

no tennis to be mentioned ever.

ps ill need 2 aways in my league :)
  • edited March 2016
    Mixed formats for each round?

EG
    Round 1 - Holdem
    Round 2 - Omaha
    Round 3 - PLO8
    etc.

OR

Home player gets the choice of format?
  • edited March 2016
    think the way the comp was run was brilliant not because i won but it ran smoothly and was well organised think if you try a league format it will be more hassle arranging fixtures and so on than just a straight heads up game with only 2 people having to agree a time and date to play whereas what if say player a plays 2 games out of 3 winning 1 then disappears with the 1 game to go not really fair awarding the last player a walkover when that could put someone who played his 3 games out. Do like the idea of a league format but do feel it may become problematic and adding games may impact on entries and of course will give the more accomplished h/up players more of an edge than they already have which may also put some off But either way im looking forward to it and know  you will do the same excellent work you did in the 1st competition and make it be a success again. all the best churchy18 the sky poker h/u F.A.cup 2015/16 champion Do agree with this post as well from Any2Suited I didn't play the last one because of laptop issues but did watch with interest and thought the original format was pretty much spot on... But if i had been the winner (Churchy18?) , i would like my bragging rights to last longer! Just 1 thing why the ? mark after my name? :@P if you fancy a best of 5 games just leave a reply and we can have a go but believe me im rotten but what does that say about my opponents :@}
    Posted by churchy18

The ? mark after your name was because i couldn't remember whether you were Churchy118 or Churchy18 and as i'm typing this from my phone didn't want to lose the long post.

Cheers for the offer of a game, but at the moment i've only got the phone to play from and i find that far to taxing with my dexterity levels to play poker on.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: HUFA II - Thoughts? : The ? mark after your name was because i couldn't remember whether you were Churchy118 or Churchy18 and as i'm typing this from my phone didn't want to lose the long post. Cheers for the offer of a game, but at the moment i've only got the phone to play from and i find that far to taxing with my dexterity levels to play poker on.
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Either way i got your number :@} cheers mumsie 
  • edited March 2016
    Ironically, if other players are like me, they are more likely to be at home during the European Championships because they want to watch them. I have scheduled holidays for May and late July.

The peak holiday times are August & last two weeks of May - school holidays - so are best avoided if possible.

I wondered about running a PLO8 HU competition as well - there is certainly a growing demand. It could be run totally seperately or at the same time, like the doubles events at Wimbledon. 
  • edited March 2016
    Ironically, if other players are like me, they are more likely to be at home during the European Championships because they want to watch them. I have scheduled holidays for May and late July. The peak holiday times are August & last two weeks of May - school holidays - so are best avoided if possible. I wondered about running a PLO8 HU competition as well - there is certainly a growing demand. It could be run totally seperately or at the same time, like the doubles events at Wimbledon. 
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    +1 cant wait sounds like fun
  • edited March 2016
    Ironically, if other players are like me, they are more likely to be at home during the European Championships because they want to watch them. I have scheduled holidays for May and late July. The peak holiday times are August & last two weeks of May - school holidays - so are best avoided if possible. I wondered about running a PLO8 HU competition as well - there is certainly a growing demand. It could be run totally seperately or at the same time, like the doubles events at Wimbledon. 
    Posted by Ice_Tiger

would be good 
  • edited March 2016
    My only problem was how long the rounds took, could've been much shorter IMO.
  • edited March 2016
    Personally I thought the timings were about right. It kept moving along but allowed for players who were on holidays or worked awkward times to play.
  • edited March 2016
    For a Euro champs style HU comp...

To keep exactly to the format of the footie = 24 entrants, 6 groups of 4 teams. Is that too limited?

It will have to be first come first served for registration and I will aim to get that up and running by the end of the month.

For ploppers...

I am thinking of trialling a ladder league. Starting positions drawn at random then you can challenge players in the 3 positions above you - if you win you take their place and the other players move down. If you lose you are frozen out from challenging again for a set time.
  • edited March 2016
    @Chiggypig Timing of rounds is a tricky one, I was trying to keep it inclusive.

Setting a short time coud be counter-productive, with fewer players joing potentially if they dont feel they can commit, or more tough decisions for me when players aren't getting fixtures played.

Obviously having rounds drag on isn't great either so some sort of time level is definitely needed.

When there a lot of fixtures to play in the ealry rounds, or we happen to hit a holiday period then we need to be flexible. It is meant to be a fun community event and I want to keep that feel.
  • edited March 2016
    MY THOUGHTS ARE SKY NEEDS CLOSING DOWN LOOK AT MY PAGE VIA TWITTER SKY NEEDS EXPOSED FOR THE CORRUPTION IT HAS.WATCH THIS SPACE.......
  • edited March 2016
    For a Euro champs style HU comp... To keep exactly to the format of the footie = 24 entrants, 6 groups of 4 teams. Is that too limited? It will have to be first come first served for registration and I will aim to get that up and running by the end of the month. For ploppers... I am thinking of trialling a ladder league. Starting positions drawn at random then you can challenge players in the 3 positions above you - if you win you take their place and the other players move down. If you lose you are frozen out from challenging again for a set time.
    Posted by Phantom66

Wasnt there 99 (?) participants last time ?  If you aim for 24 , that a lot of hungry mouths left out.. 

Enfin je me rappelai le pis-aller d’une grande princesse à qui l’on disait que les paysans n’avaient pas de pain, et qui répondit : Qu’ils mangent de la brioche.

• edited March 2016
    HUFA II will be open to as many who wnat to enter.

For Euro Camps HU initial thought was to run it along the same lines as the tourney - i.e. exactly the same draw, leagues, progressions from groups etc. It will save me from having to do draws each time I'll just do one - each player gets a team.

However that does leave only 24 spots available.

I suppose we could have x2 duplicate draws so England A and England B if you get me. Then the real final is when the 2 winners play each other?

Given it will run in spring and not autumn/winter I would expect fewer entrants than HUFA.