You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Markycash diary - Vegas 2017

Comments

• edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
    great stuff mark vwp bud
  • edited April 2017
    VWP Marky lad,
    you know what they say... once a luckbox alway's a luc.....
    Good luck in tonight ukops plo8 (you'll need it)
    I shall be there, fully loaded, guns a blazing.
    Bounty or no bounty, your going down Marky lad :-)

Regards Alan (ploptastic plo8 plopper)
  • edited April 2017
    Thank you for the kind comments folks!

@ Devonfish, many thanks and all the best to you too! Although I think it would be binoculars not bifocals I would need to see those tiny signs. That is my excuse anyway lol.

@ The Ploptastic Plopper, Your not meant to scare me off before it starts! There is still time for me to unregister :p
  • edited April 2017

VWP Marky, not bad for a hairy rsed caber toss er.
  • edited April 2017
    Well played Mr Marky, good luck for the rest of the series.
  • ommomm
    edited April 2017
    Not sure about Top player but nice to get a mention n the diary.

Do you study poker at all?  I could imagine with the amount of  uni studying you have been doing then any poker work might have taken a back seat? Although I am working full time, poker for me is a passion and I love spending time studying and learning the game. That can range from watching twitch and you tube to getting in the Lab (As Doug Polk would say). Just need to start turning the school work into results (or at least bigger results) on the tables.

Good luck for the rest of UKOPS.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - UKOPS adventures:
    Not sure about Top player but nice to get a mention n the diary. Do you study poker at all?  I could imagine with the amount of  uni studying you have been doing then any poker work might have taken a back seat? Although I am working full time, poker for me is a passion and I love spending time studying and learning the game. That can range from watching twitch and you tube to getting in the Lab (As Doug Polk would say). Just need to start turning the school work into results (or at least bigger results) on the tables. Good luck for the rest of UKOPS.
    Posted by omm
    Thanks again for the nice comments all!

I used to study quite a bit via PXF (not sure how popular that still is) but I loved watching Bax's videos. Also the ones by Sheets, AJKhoosier and pearljammer I found really good. Since I have been studying @ uni I have neglected the poker learning. In 5 days I will no longer be a uni student and plan to start studying poker again. If you know any good links for twitch or whatever and are happy to share them, they would be appreciated :)

Hope yourself and the other folks reading have a good run in the UKOPS too (although preferably not in pots versus me like omm last night lol).
  • edited April 2017
    As for day 3 of the UKOPS...

I played the 6 games tonight. The first 4 were a bust and the night wasn't looking good. Managed to cash in the £22rebuy UKOPS for £90 though and finish 2nd in the £55 turbo BH UKOPS for around £610. Also won a £5.50 PLO8 BH for £77 so managed to turn things around in the end :)
  • edited April 2017
    Feeling a bit more refreshed today than compared to yesterday. Not dreading the study which I have actually made a start on today and looking forward to the UKOPS games tonight!

I was wondering if there would be interest in the following...

The thread by Stay or Go (Graham) in which he went through hands from a live MTT one by one and stimulated a lot of discussion with posters has to be one of the threads of the year IMO! Considering the 2 facts that [1] obviously not everyone plays these higher buy in live games and [2] The £5.50 PLO8 BH's are quite new... Would there be interest in going through a £5.50 PLO8 BH win hand by hand in this thread? 

It could prompt some great discussion if there is enough of you willing to contribute. I guess it could be a point of reference for anyone thinking of trying the games too. I could just alter the headline to reflect the hand in question etc. I have 5 days of studying and UKOPSing to do first but could do it after that? I would use a new win (assuming I win another) as I will try and win another one playing in an at least semi-orthodox style. Some of the ones I have won will involve daft shoves or marginal play based on nothing more than wanting rid of a table or an early night or boredom or whatever. So I would go for a fresh one played 'properly' that hopefully highlights some of the common situations.

If there is not interest then fine, if there is then I will get it started in the next couple of weeks.

I don't mind sharing my personal thoughts on all aspects as [1] There are not many of these games on offer currently [2] I play differently from night to night lol [3] not everyone will read.

Appreciate your thoughts folks.
  • edited April 2017

Hi Mark, I am sure that there would be plenty of interest in you doing a h4h summary. Would be good to see your thought processes, esp in difficult spots.
     Well done on the ukops results, Vegas BR must be sorted now, just need to bag a package. Gl.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - UKOPS adventures:
      Hi Mark, I am sure that there would be plenty of interest in you doing a h4h summary. Would be good to see your thought processes, esp in difficult spots.  Well done on the ukops results, Vegas BR must be sorted now, just need to bag a package. Gl.
    Posted by pomfrittes

eeny meeny miny..... 

Only joking Dave, great results so far in UKOPS.

GL in the remaining events. 

I would enjoy this type of thing too, have kind of fallen out of love with OH8 at the moment although I managed to muddle through last night for a while.

Something like this would be great to click the grey matter into gear.
  • edited April 2017
    Great stuff, will pencil it in the metaphorical diary :)

@Pom Yeah, progress being made, I will go over to Vegas whether I sneak a package or not. Will play some stuff on my own ££ and visit the Sky folks.

@Paul :P Thanks mate! I find talking over hands helps stimulate my interest in the game when I am feeling frustrated with it. Well done last night!

Good luck on the tables guys!
  • edited April 2017
    Sounds good Marky lad , I don't mind having read about the thought 
    process behind these B/hunters. I'm not saying, 
    that I would get involved in any discussion,
    but would deferentially read.

I would look forward to reading something you've written
    that doesn't have the word uni in it

Also think you should start another thread,
    for hand review, keep this as your diary thread,
    so that all your brags about luckboxing tourney wins,
    does not get lost in between all the " I shoved... he called ...boom gg me"

Regards Alan (plo8 reader) 
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - UKOPS adventures - Any interest in a 'stay or go' style PLO8 tourney breakdown?:
    Sounds good Marky lad , I don't mind having read about the thought  process behind these B/hunters. I'm not saying,  that I would get involved in any discussion, but would deferentially read. I would look forward to reading something you've written that doesn't have the word uni in it Also think you should start another thread, for hand review, keep this as your diary thread, so that all your brags about luckboxing tourney wins, does not get lost in between all the " I shoved... he called ...boom gg me" Regards Alan (plo8 reader) 
    Posted by ajmilton
    Haha, there will be loads of that AJ (completely done with the place I won't mention after Wednesday).

I also see your point about creating a separate thread. Would mean anyone wanting to read it and see the discussion that has went on would not have to wade through piles of my BS musings :)
  • edited April 2017
    Finished the UKOPS stuff a little early tonight :-/

Got off to a great start and into the money in the first UKOPS event of the night. Lost a flip with 10 left that would have got me back around the average stack size and bust. 

Got a couple of stacks going in the others then the my neighbours started a major domestic (as they very often do). My dogs were going mental and concentrating was rather challenging, the barny went on for at least 2 hours before they both eventually were arrested. 

In the commotion my QKo in the BB found a flop of Q34 rainbow. My opponent bets big so I flat call and see a K on the turn, happy days! I lead out and my opponent reraises, I shove and he calls showing QQ, ugg! I could have used more pot control for sure but I will blame the neighbours distracting me lol.

Got a really nice stack going in the £22 rebuy and was sitting around 4th with 70 left. I miniraise open utg with 55 and it folds around to the BB who shoves. It is 1/3 of my stack to call and it is a bounty hunter so I opted for the call. He has TT, ugg. I flop the 5 though, woot! Then he turns the T, ugg again lol. Still with a healthyish stack I open 88 and a shortish stack shoves, I snap call, they show AJo and I lose the race. Then I pick up 66 and open and the same guy shoves again, once again I call and once again they have AJo and once again I lose the flip. Stack is now in critical mode but I sneek into the payouts at least. I then shove 9 BBs for the C/O with JKo and the same player again calls with A6o but I flop the J. He then rivers the A and it is GG me!

Bust everything else but only a slight loss on the night and 15 points to add to the leaderboard tally.

Will try and do better tomorrow night and hopefully the neighbours will be having a quiet night after their exploits tonight!

Thanks for reading, time for some severely needed beauty sleep...
  • edited April 2017
    Expect you will still be top-wpwp

Odd that you got unlucky v AJ:-I recall you trebled up with A8 v AJ and a PP in the £22 rebuy.

Sorry to learn of the neighbour problems. Aggression is part of the Scottish psyche-when I was at a Scottish University (many) years ago, I recall the postman being most aggressive-mind you, all my English friends were addressing letters to "Dundee, Scotland, England"!!

Good luck for the rest of the weekend-back to grinding the Mini for me (that's the 8:30, not a really sad perversion)

Phil
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - UKOPS adventures - Any interest in a 'stay or go' style PLO8 tourney breakdown?:
    Expect you will still be top-wpwp Odd that you got unlucky v AJ:-I recall you trebled up with A8 v AJ and a PP in the £22 rebuy. Sorry to learn of the neighbour problems. Aggression is part of the Scottish psyche-when I was at a Scottish University (many) years ago, I recall the postman being most aggressive-mind you, all my English friends were addressing letters to "Dundee, Scotland, England"!! Good luck for the rest of the weekend-back to grinding the Mini for me (that's the 8:30, not a really sad perversion) Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    Ha yeah, true Phil, I don't really take notice of the neighbours now although my 2 dogs don't take the same approach and were going completely mental lol.

I noticed you running deep in the mini, looking good! Good luck sir, take it down!
  • edited April 2017
    Finished the UKOPS stuff a little early tonight :-/ Got off to a great start and into the money in the first UKOPS event of the night. Lost a flip with 10 left that would have got me back around the average stack size and bust.  Got a couple of stacks going in the others then the my neighbours started a major domestic (as they very often do). My dogs were going mental and concentrating was rather challenging, the barny went on for at least 2 hours before they both eventually were arrested.  In the commotion my QKo in the BB found a flop of Q34 rainbow. My opponent bets big so I flat call and see a K on the turn, happy days! I lead out and my opponent reraises, I shove and he calls showing QQ, ugg! I could have used more pot control for sure but I will blame the neighbours distracting me lol. Got a really nice stack going in the £22 rebuy and was sitting around 4th with 70 left. I miniraise open utg with 55 and it folds around to the BB who shoves. It is 1/3 of my stack to call and it is a bounty hunter so I opted for the call. He has TT, ugg. I flop the 5 though, woot! Then he turns the T, ugg again lol. Still with a healthyish stack I open 88 and a shortish stack shoves, I snap call, they show AJo and I lose the race. Then I pick up 66 and open and the same guy shoves again, once again I call and once again they have AJo and once again I lose the flip. Stack is now in critical mode but I sneek into the payouts at least. I then shove 9 BBs for the C/O with JKo and the same player again calls with A6o but I flop the J. He then rivers the A and it is GG me! Bust everything else but only a slight loss on the night and 15 points to add to the leaderboard tally. Will try and do better tomorrow night and hopefully the neighbours will be having a quiet night after their exploits tonight! Thanks for reading, time for some severely needed beauty sleep...
    Posted by markycash

I see you are using the AJ school of hand analysis already.
    Well played Marky lad :-)

• edited April 2017
    Hi Mr.Cash.
    I too would be an avid reader of the hand by hand analysis, particularly the thought process on shoving 5687 on a AAK flop ( and getting there) :) 
    Good luck in rest of Ukops 
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Mr.Cash. I too would be an avid reader of the hand by hand analysis, particularly the thought process on shoving 5687 on a AAK flop ( and getting there) :)  Good luck in rest of Ukops 
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Haha Tom! 

Good luck to you too sir for the rest of the UKOPS.

Hope all is going well with you on and off the tables, haven't had a chance to check if you have updated your diary but will do soon :)
  • edited April 2017
    Well day 5 of UKOPS was a disaster so this update shouldn't be too long.

Got off to a great start in event 1 of the evening collecting 3 bounties and was sitting in the top few stacks early on. I then couldn't find spots and wasn't getting cards for a long period but shuffled along until there were 32 players left with the top 18 getting paid. I think I was sitting around 19/32. I then get the QQ in the BB and it folds to the BTN who miniraises my BB, the SB flat calls and I shove. The BTN calls, the SB folds, and finally I am in a nice spot to get a stack to try and make a deep FT run. BTN has JJ I have QQ. Flop 886 rainbow, turn 9, I think we all know what is coming on the river... Yup the dreaded J and it is GG me.

I then went on to play thoroughly mediocre, be card dead and run a bit -EV too and bust everything apart from the £5.50 UKOPS BH. I actually made the payouts here but had an above average stack, with I think around 30 left, and made a needless call and lost. I won't mention the hand as there are 2 hands I want to post in the startegy forum and this is 1 of them. It was a justifiable call, would have gave me a top 3 stack and was probably technically a call. It didn't fit in with how I had been playing though and I was thoroughly disappointed in myself for making the call.

I am feeling perfectly chipper and looking forward to tonights games though. I was due a bad night and am content to have a bad night as long as I feel I have played remotely near my best. I am not so sure I did last night though.

I did play a little cash games after the UKOPS stuff the previous 2 nights and softened any loses with about £60 in cash game winnings. Even got some action on the PLO8 cash tables last night at 50p PL.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Easter holidays and good luck on the tables!
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Mark,   great blog,  already looking forward to the next instalment !
      Do you ever  come over to the Maybury for live games ?  Let me know if you
     are visiting as would love a beer and chat with you.
      I find the Sky community very good, free tips from top players is always appreciated,
      and a lot of fun stuff to keep one smiling.
       I love the live events and have been lucky to win into a few good ones, but can not make
     Las Vegas this year so missing out the sats.....roll on Punta Cana !
       good luck all, and especially yourself Mark. ( we Scots need the cash ! )
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Mark,   great blog,  already looking forward to the next instalment !   Do you ever  come over to the Maybury for live games ?  Let me know if you  are visiting as would love a beer and chat with you.   I find the Sky community very good, free tips from top players is always appreciated,   and a lot of fun stuff to keep one smiling.    I love the live events and have been lucky to win into a few good ones, but can not make  Las Vegas this year so missing out the sats.....roll on Punta Cana !    good luck all, and especially yourself Mark. ( we Scots need the cash ! )
    Posted by glencoelad

Not sure if Marky has renewed his passport yet, border control at Harthill may refuse entry......
  • edited April 2017
    Quick little update before I get my beauty sleep.

I only intended to play the 5 tourneys tonight and was giving the £110 and £530 a miss. I had a change of heart and decided to late register the £110 as I was playing anyway. Glad I did, I bust everything else but finished 8th in the £110 for around £600 including bounties so a profit of just under £400 for the night. Would have been nice to run a little deeper but ran my 44 into TT with 15 BB's. No complaints though, had a good UKOPS with 13 cashes including 2 wins, got to play with Matt and Doobs and Tikay's mate George, aka Glencoelad a little tonight and the tables were enjoyable.

I think I have won the UKOPS leaderboard and the £1260 tourney entry. I don't see any of the people who were in contention too deep in anything but will wait for the official update tomorrow.

P.S. Thanks for the replies folks. I will reply soon, just been struggling a bit for time.
  • edited April 2017
    well played markycash winnng total player for ukops   i didnt play all of the ukops events but most i made 2 final tables and 4 min cashes so more then happy 
  • edited April 2017
    btw u was on 1 of my tables other night u said hi and gl i couldnt reply as got a chat ban for some reason dunno why lol
  • edited April 2017
    Quick little update before I get my beauty sleep. I only intended to play the 5 tourneys tonight and was giving the £110 and £530 a miss. I had a change of heart and decided to late register the £110 as I was playing anyway. Glad I did, I bust everything else but finished 8th in the £110 for around £600 including bounties so a profit of just under £400 for the night. Would have been nice to run a little deeper but ran my 44 into TT with 15 BB's. No complaints though, had a good UKOPS with 13 cashes including 2 wins, got to play with Matt and Doobs and Tikay's mate George, aka Glencoelad a little tonight and the tables were enjoyable. I think I have won the UKOPS leaderboard and the £1260 tourney entry. I don't see any of the people who were in contention too deep in anything but will wait for the official update tomorrow. P.S. Thanks for the replies folks. I will reply soon, just been struggling a bit for time.
    Posted by markycash
    Well done pal
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Marky,   well done on all your recent results, and great ( hope it doesnt happen too often ) to have you at the same  table last night . 
     As i said in the chat box " only here because of you " refers to your comment in the blog about playing conservative buy ins .  I dont put myself down as a top player, but get a few good results so thought i would 
     buy in some higher levels when the satelites fail.
      Happy with most of my game, and also took on board a comment by Tikay that i was tough at a final table,
     so decided to play every table last night as if it was a final ! 
        I find i often play too loose in early stages to try get a stack, and dont think it really suits my game.
     Happy to cash last night , but sorry to lose the flip with my 77 vAK ....will be taking Talking heads " Take me to the River " of my playlist !
       take care, run well.