You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=)

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat

we understand graham.  will you plead guilty or not guilty?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Hi Sky/TK.

I have been summoned for Jury Service the very day Viva Las Vegas starts (11th July)

i have just received the letter today. I am currently in the £240, Vegas £10K sattelite for tomorrow evening.

Can I unreg and have £240 returned? It will be a non-issue if I don't make the final, however if I do make the final it could be problematic. So perhaps, "getting out now" is best.

Can provide proof of Jury Service summons to Sky if required.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited May 2016
    If you have a criminal record, or a case pending, you will not be called.  Punching Rob should provide sufficient grounds for being excused.
  • edited May 2016
    Fitting alias StayorGo ;)

• edited May 2016
    I am sure you can defer jury service with a good reason. I am certain if you tell them you have to go to Vegas to play poker they will be fine.

I find it funny that I have never been called for jury service, maybe because they have heard that I am fully behind the death penalty for even the most minor of infringements.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas:
    I am sure you can defer jury service with a good reason. I am certain if you tell them you have to go to Vegas to play poker they will be fine. I find it funny that I have never been called for jury service, maybe because they have heard that I am fully behind the death penalty for even the most minor of infringements.
    Posted by Enut
    I had a look around just in the off chance this was something which could affect me too. From what I read you are correct. If you won a Vegas package and just booked your flights quickly I think they would excuse you.
  • edited May 2016
    Lol, very good guys. Regarding loss of earnings, not sure how I would stand on that, being a poker player. :=)

Guess I'll just have to do my bit for queen and country. :=) It'll probably save me a few quid in Vegas anyway!

Would be good if the case was poker related:

"We, the jury, find the defandant, guilty as charged, of fishing without a licence and also guilty of two separate offenses, namely, folding out of turn and slow rolling with the NUTS"

You are thereby sentenced to playing micro stakes Fixed Limit Omaha Hi/Low with TK and Rich Orford for a month, or if you prefer, death by lethal injection. (Just messing guys)

Could be the first criminal case, where someone is found guilty of folding out of turn online :=)

• edited May 2016
    You can defer for up to 12 months.

If a holiday was already booked then there would be no issue at all.

Wouldn't like to say how winning a holiday between the summons arriving and the required date would sit.
  • edited May 2016
    You can defer for up to 12 months. If a holiday was already booked then there would be no issue at all. Wouldn't like to say how winning a holiday between the summons arriving and the required date would sit.
    Posted by Phantom66
    That is the only bit I can see that is an issue but then again he won the ticket to play for the package before the summons appeared.
  • edited May 2016
    You can defer for up to 12 months. If a holiday was already booked then there would be no issue at all. Wouldn't like to say how winning a holiday between the summons arriving and the required date would sit.
    Posted by Phantom66

Yeh, I have to reply within 7 days, so my particpation in Vegas would be unknown.

Anyway, I've decided, that I will do the Jury Service on the dates requested.

I feel my game needs to improve to compete at WSOP anyway, so perhaps fate is kicking in, to give me another year to try and up my game a bit.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : Yeh, I have to reply within 7 days, so my particpation in Vegas would be unknown. Anyway, I've decided, that I will do the Jury Service on the dates requested. I feel my game needs to improve to compete at WSOP anyway, so perhaps fate is kicking in, to give me another year to try and up my game a bit.
    Posted by StayOrGo

In my neck of the woods this is called "a sign".  

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : Yeh, I have to reply within 7 days, so my particpation in Vegas would be unknown. Anyway, I've decided, that I will do the Jury Service on the dates requested. I feel my game needs to improve to compete at WSOP anyway, so perhaps fate is kicking in, to give me another year to try and up my game a bit.
    Posted by StayOrGo
    up your game abit :0 what will you be like when you,ve upped your game, doesn,t bear thinking about
  • edited May 2016
    Posted by StayOrGo

May I suggest taking some cards with you, all those hours that the jury deliberates, might be due to the fact that they are being compensated for their time, and that although they actually make their mind up very quickly, but as they are being compensated, you may persuade them to spend the rest of the time playing poker.  Plus, if the game continues for a while. they will pay for a hotel and meals, and the game can continue for the whole of the next day.
  • edited May 2016
    Just finished 2 1/2 weeks of jury duty in April, the most boring thing I have had to endure.
    Be prepared for sitting around for days on end without even going into court, take something with you like a book or tablet to relieve the boredom.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : up your game abit :0 what will you be like when you,ve upped your game, doesn,t bear thinking about
    Posted by stokefc

Thanks for the compliment Stoke.

No disrespect to Sky players, and yes  I do ok on Sky, but WSOP is another level.

Whilst I can successfully compete here, I have no doubt I'd be the fish against seasoned pro's.

I'm always looking to improve my game, no matter what standard someone is, they can always get better. That's the great thing about the game. We can always improve!

In my case, time is running out, as it is increasingly more a young man's game (I'm 47 now!)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : Thanks for the compliment Stoke. No disrespect to Sky players, and yes  I do ok on Sky, but WSOP is another level. Whilst I can successfully compete here, I have no doubt I'd be the fish against seasoned pro's. I'm always looking to improve my game, no matter what standard someone is, they can always get better. That's the great thing about the game. We can always improve! In my case, time is running out, as it is increasingly more a young man's game (I'm 47 now!)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    i agree there Graham ,for someone as serious as yourself its important to strive to bring there game on to compete at the highest level.
    as for the kids,it seems Doyles super system is totally obselete,which is good ,they are clever,intellegent , not saying Doyle wasn,t its just that the game has moved on.
    i,m 48 mesel and i still use the super system :)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : Thanks for the compliment Stoke. No disrespect to Sky players, and yes  I do ok on Sky, but WSOP is another level. Whilst I can successfully compete here, I have no doubt I'd be the fish against seasoned pro's. I'm always looking to improve my game, no matter what standard someone is, they can always get better. That's the great thing about the game. We can always improve! In my case, time is running out, as it is increasingly more a young man's game (I'm 47 now!)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    FML
  • edited May 2016
    Neil Blumenfield (61) and Pierre Neauvillie (72) seemed to do okay in last years main event!
  • edited May 2016
    If you can't prove your earnings there is a standard fee. (And a not very high limit either way) 
    They send you a leaflet with all you can claim.
    I think I am one of the very few that managed to dodge jury service.
  • edited May 2016
    If you can't prove your earnings there is a standard fee. (And a not very high limit either way)  They send you a leaflet with all you can claim. I think I am one of the very few that managed to dodge jury service.
    Posted by Goody_Ace
    I used to say this,don't tempt fate!
    Got call-up did not serve on jury,in the small print on form(in Scotland any way not sure nationwide) is says you WILL be called up again if not on jury(6 months i think)as I was called up 3 times in a year.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : I used to say this,don't tempt fate! Got call-up did not serve on jury,in the small print on form(in Scotland any way not sure nationwide) is says you WILL be called up again if not on jury(6 months i think)as I was called up 3 times in a year.
    Posted by belsibub

3 times in a year?!

Must be nice to freeroll a free hotel, free food, free drink on a trio of occasions.
  • edited May 2016
    Hi SKY/TK,

Back to my original question, should I un-reg from the £240, £10K Vegas sat that starts at 8.45pm tonight?

As if I did manage to make the final, the problem would exist regarding a £1,100 seat.

So it seems to make sense to resolve it while it is a smaller amount. Although, true, if I bust, then the isssue goes away. Also, it looks like there will be plenty of runners to make the guaranteed 4 seats tonight, so neither Sky nor I would not lose out if we did it now.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited May 2016
    Posted by StayOrGo
    HI Graham
    your whole post kinda condradicts itself in a way,as though your looking for an excuse to unregister.
    Firstly,im playing in the main events this year.And im 47 too,i dont feel age to be a handicap in anyway,
    and secondly,if you do feel inferior,or at a disadvantage due too your age and ability,then, i ask you,
    why are you entering the sattelites in the first place?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : HI Graham your whole post kinda condradicts itself in a way,as though your looking for an excuse to unregister. Firstly,im playing in the main events this year.And im 47 too,i dont feel age to be a handicap in anyway, and secondly,if you do feel inferior,or at a disadvantage due too your age and ability,then, i ask you, why are you entering the sattelites in the first place?
    Posted by lovejunky

Hi lovejunky. thanks for your feedback.

Yes you have made valid points.

I guess I'm just suggesting that the Jury Letter was a "sign" suggesting to me that perhaps I wasn't ready for it yet. (another contradiction, as, clearly I'll be older nest year :=), but maybe I can still improve in that time.

If you believe in that sort of stuff or not, I don't know. But I felt, that maybe I wasn't supposed to go this year. :=)

Good luck in Vegas. I wish you all the best out there. Being the same age, hopefully your results will inspire me for 2017! GL

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : Hi lovejunky. thanks for your feedback. Yes you have made valid points. I guess I'm just suggesting that the Jury Letter was a "sign" suggesting to me that perhaps I wasn't ready for it yet. (another contradiction, as, clearly I'll be older nest year :=), but maybe I can still improve in that time. If you believe in that sort of stuff or not, I don't know. But I felt, that maybe I wasn't supposed to go this year. :=) Good luck in Vegas. I wish you all the best out there. Being the same age, hopefully your results will inspire me for 2017! GL
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Everyone to their own but I don't believe in signs etc.

Looking at your results you would be more than ready. You might bust early or might cash but as you know with your results that is just variance. Your game is certainly good enough. There are some absolutely brilliant players at the WSOP obviously but for every one of them there are X amount of donks, recreational players etc etc. The place isn't lined wall to wall with sharks.

When you see players 5/6 bet all in at level 1 in a PLO WSOP event and proudly announce 4 pair it gives you an idea of the level of play some are at.

It is of course absolutely your decision and I understand the jury duty hasn't made matters easier but your game certainly looks to me from looking at your results to be very ready.

Sincerely though, the very best of luck whether you go/ don't go. Your decisions to make and nobody else's, do whatever you feel comfortable with! No need to justify your choices to anyone.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas : Hi lovejunky. thanks for your feedback. Yes you have made valid points. I guess I'm just suggesting that the Jury Letter was a "sign" suggesting to me that perhaps I wasn't ready for it yet. (another contradiction, as, clearly I'll be older nest year :=), but maybe I can still improve in that time. If you believe in that sort of stuff or not, I don't know. But I felt, that maybe I wasn't supposed to go this year. :=) Good luck in Vegas. I wish you all the best out there. Being the same age, hopefully your results will inspire me for 2017! GL
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Thanks buddy,
    i will keep you posted on the main event.
    with regards too the age thing,the 12 hour sessions do take there toll!!!
  • edited May 2016

Hi Graham,

I can't give any ruling on this, I don't have any authority, but maybe it would be best to unregister to save a headache later.

Have to say, though, I am pretty sure you would acquit yourself well in the WSOP, you have a great game, certainly good enough to do well. I also know from Punta Cana last year that you'd be a great and popular member of the Sky Poker crew.

Difficult spot.

In my experience, if you have good reason, Jury Service can be postponed. 
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start):
    Hi Graham, I can't give any ruling on this, I don't have any authority, but maybe it would be best to unregister to save a headache later. Have to say, though, I am pretty sure you would acquit yourself well in the WSOP, you have a great game, certainly good enough to do well. I also know from Punta Cana last year that you'd be a great and popular member of the Sky Poker crew. Difficult spot. In my experience, if you have good reason, Jury Service can be postponed
    Posted by Tikay10
    I am near sure you can do this as my mate had a holiday planned and got out of it. Just say your going to vegas :)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start):
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : I am near sure you can do this as my mate had a holiday planned and got out of it. Just say your going to vegas :)
    Posted by stuarty117
    That is correct but you will need to prove the holiday was booked prior to receiving the initial summons.
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Graham, I can't give any ruling on this, I don't have any authority, but maybe it would be best to unregister to save a headache later. Have to say, though, I am pretty sure you would acquit yourself well in the WSOP, you have a great game, certainly good enough to do well. I also know from Punta Cana last year that you'd be a great and popular member of the Sky Poker crew. Difficult spot. In my experience, if you have good reason, Jury Service can be postponed. 
    Posted by Tikay10

Opps, saw your suggestion, just too late TK. Anyhow, busted in 8th, so issue resolved.

Jury service here we come, GL to all going, will watch with interest, in the court room breaks :=)
  • edited May 2016
    The jury system is the corner stone of a civilised society and to serve is a priviledge.

As to grahams poker ability, Not sure there is a jury in the land who could be convinced his game needs improvement.