You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=)

2»

Comments

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start):
    The jury system is the corner stone of a civilised society and to serve is a priviledge. As to grahams poker ability, Not sure there is a jury in the land who could be convinced his game needs improvement.
    Posted by CxE1

Totally agree with your first point Vinny, not so sure about the 2nd.

Anyone who doesn't consider that they can improve, has given up trying imo.

I may not improve much, but I'm sure going to try too :=)

GL out in Vegas, hope you get out there mate!
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start):
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : Totally agree with your first point Vinny, not so sure about the 2nd. Anyone who doesn't consider that they can improve, has given up trying imo. I may not improve much, but I'm sure going to try too :=) GL out in Vegas, hope you get out there mate!
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Hi, as I know you are a great tournament player on sky. I think I read you taught your son, so I'm guessing that means you've played awhile. Can I ask for advice, other than discussing hands or reading books. What other ways will you use to improve your game? your game is on a level where you are a winning player on sky (it's ok to boast), so how do you know you have improved? With being an MTT player how do you know you've improved, based on how high the variance is in MTTS? Sorry I'm really not well and typing out what I'm thinking or good at wording. Hope
    You can give a little advice thanks 
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : Totally agree with your first point Vinny, not so sure about the 2nd. Anyone who doesn't consider that they can improve, has given up trying imo. I may not improve much, but I'm sure going to try too :=) GL out in Vegas, hope you get out there mate!
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Agreed. I've been playing the game 9 years now and thought I knew everything 5 years ago. I already know so much more now then I did back then! Poker is such a hugely complex game (particularly holdem) that there will always be something new you can learn.

As an example, recently I've been doing some study-work on shoving ranges at short-stack depths and found out some interesting things about what range of hands I want be shoving with from BTN/SB (as well as hands I'd like in my m-r range) I'm going to move onto CO next :)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : Agreed. I've been playing the game 9 years now and thought I knew everything 5 years ago. I already know so much more now then I did back then! Poker is such a hugely complex game (particularly holdem) that there will always be something new you can learn. As an example, recently I've been doing some study-work on shoving ranges at short-stack depths and found out some interesting things about what range of hands I want be shoving with from BTN/SB (as well as hands I'd like in my m-r range) I'm going to move onto CO next :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I guess it wouldn't be A good idea to be sat on a spin up table with you anymore then (not that it was anyway) :P
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : I guess it wouldn't be A good idea to be sat on a spin up table with you anymore then (not that it was anyway) :P
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    haha :P

It's not really going to be profitable to play any regs in Spin up's, the money is only made against rec's when greater than 20bb deep really! But yeah, knowing shoving ranges in spots will definitely help mitigate your loss to rake against other reg's/rec's at short-stack depths. Although with no HUD on sky, it's hard to accurately determine what calling range you are up against. So even though I know what ranges I should be shoving with if villain is calling X % of the time and villain 2 is calling Y % of the time, I can only guestimate what X and Y are in game. And just going by intuition probably will be as good as what I'm doing - but it's fun none-the-less!
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : haha :P It's not really going to be profitable to play any regs in Spin up's, the money is only made against rec's when greater than 20bb deep really! But yeah, knowing shoving ranges in spots will definitely help mitigate your loss to rake against other reg's/rec's at short-stack depths. Although with no HUD on sky, it's hard to accurately determine what calling range you are up against. So even though I know what ranges I should be shoving with if villain is calling X % of the time and villain 2 is calling Y % of the time, I can only guestimate what X and Y are in game. And just going by intuition probably will be as good as what I'm doing - but it's fun none-the-less!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yeah as thin as it is, there is defiantly money to be made in spin ups.. If you can deal with the ridic swings. £1/£2 and lower are full of recs also, and a lot of the time they end up building a big stack, then if you can get off the 20bb mark then ka Ching! I must admit though you will find most profit on these from rake back! Lol

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=):
    Hi Sky/TK. I have been summoned for Jury Service the very day Viva Las Vegas starts (11th July) i have just received the letter today. I am currently in the £240, Vegas £10K sattelite for tomorrow evening. Can I unreg and have £240 returned? It will be a non-issue if I don't make the final, however if I do make the final it could be problematic. So perhaps, "getting out now" is best. Can provide proof of Jury Service summons to Sky if required. Cheers, Graham
    Posted by StayOrGo
    This is pretty mad! The exact same thing happened to me last week too, except I'm already in the £1k final. Most annoying thing is I've done jury duty before - this is my second call up and I only just turned 29. No-one else in my family has ever been called up.

I sent a letter requesting deferral today. Have you sent a deferral request yourself?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=):
    In Response to Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=) : This is pretty mad! The exact same thing happened to me last week too, except I'm already in the £1k final. Most annoying thing is I've done jury duty before - this is my second call up and I only just turned 29. No-one else in my family has ever been called up. I sent a letter requesting deferral today. Have you sent a deferral request yourself?
    Posted by bh0ywndr

No, I busted the Sat, so leaving Vegas till next year, and doing the jury service.

Called up twice and only 29. Tough break (unless you enjoy doing it I guess)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=):
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. Busted Sat, will do my duty :=) : No, I busted the Sat, so leaving Vegas till next year, and doing the jury service. Called up twice and only 29. Tough break (unless you enjoy doing it I guess)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Fair play. I did enjoy it last time and don't mind doing it, just not when it can potentially cost me 10 grand! :)
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Graham, I can't give any ruling on this, I don't have any authority, but maybe it would be best to unregister to save a headache later. Have to say, though, I am pretty sure you would acquit yourself well in the WSOP, you have a great game, certainly good enough to do well. I also know from Punta Cana last year that you'd be a great and popular member of the Sky Poker crew. Difficult spot. In my experience, if you have good reason, Jury Service can be postponed. 
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks for the kind comments TK.

No Vegas for me this year, but I will be wishing all the SkyPoker Lads (And Lasses hopefully) all the best.

Will be routing for you all and will observe with interest during courtroom breaks. :=)

Will be trying for Vegas next year through Sky, and also trying for Punta Cana again later this year (BTW it's not at the Hard Rock this year, I believe?)

GL!

G
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : Hi, as I know you are a great tournament player on sky. I think I read you taught your son, so I'm guessing that means you've played awhile. Can I ask for advice, other than discussing hands or reading books. What other ways will you use to improve your game? your game is on a level where you are a winning player on sky (it's ok to boast), so how do you know you have improved? With being an MTT player how do you know you've improved, based on how high the variance is in MTTS? Sorry I'm really not well and typing out what I'm thinking or good at wording. Hope You can give a little advice thanks 
    Posted by ALTiltYou

Hi Al.

For me, it's all about experience. I've never had any formal coaching, as I'm not a great student (my loss). I tend to have my own views and am sometimes reluctant to change. I've read a few books. Phil Gordon's, "Little Gold Book" probably being the best for intermediate + players. He also has a preceeding green book and a blue book, I think. 

I believe the Gold Book, is the latest one for good/advanced players. (Would suggest a Sharkscope rating of atleast 70-75 to go straight to the Gold one)

However, it is absolutely vital, that I remain open-minded. So I do try to consider and reflect upon the views of others.

At the moment, the way I hope to improve is through experience. I play on Sky, and generally do quite well, and for me that provides a reasonable income and valuable experience.

I also play "High-ish Stake" MTT's on another site, primarily to try and improve my game. In the last three years I am about break even on this other site, and I find myself being continually out-played.

Whilst this is not good for my ego or bankroll, I find I learn more (albeit a painfull experience), when I am outplayed, than I do, if I am the one that has managed to outplay someone else.

So for me, it is not about profit. Provided I have enough money to live on, the aim, is to become as good a Poker player as I can be, and this involves learning from better players.

In these MTT's there will always be worse players and better players than me. To be successful, you need to be able to exploit as much as possible the weaknesses of the less experienced players and also be able to compete as much as possible against the better players. Both skills are required.

So I continue to play at two levels, one where I can make a profit to live on, and one, where the standard is too high for me to make a decent profit, but I can learn valuable lessons from the experience.

I hope this explains things slightly (I'm not recommending this btw, it's just to answer your question about what I feel will improve MY game)

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Jury Service during Vegas. TK, can I unreg from tonight's £240 Vegas Satellite? (8.45pm start) : Thanks for the kind comments TK. No Vegas for me this year, but I will be wishing all the SkyPoker Lads (And Lasses hopefully) all the best. Will be routing for you all and will observe with interest during courtroom breaks. :=) Will be trying for Vegas next year through Sky, and also trying for Punta Cana again later this year (BTW it's not at the Hard Rock this year, I believe?) GL! G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Morning Graham,

Yes, you are correct - the 2016 Punta Cana Classic has moved locations - it will be at a resort called The Level at Melia Caribe Tropical.