You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker Freerolls in July

Comments

• edited June 2016
    how bout this.

split the prizepool so we can have 2 freerolls like someone suggested. so £500 each freeroll 

a lunchtime freeroll for players who cant do later on. now this would need to be super turbo so players who are on lunch from work can play.

then nightly so we can remove the turbo from the schedule due to lunchtime freeroll being fast. 

mon bounty hunter +antes
    tues normal +antes
    wed omaha +antes
    thur rebuy/addon +antes
    fri deepstack +antes

so basically everybody should get a freeroll of there choice and be able to play, i must admit due to my shift work, i dont get to play them much.

edit as lower prizepools the payouts should lower maybe top 50 to make rewards worth it. say 20 places @£5 20 places @£10 with rest top 10

thanks 

micky 
  • edited June 2016

The FR at the moment but with a little bit more play in them slightly longer clock or more chips, also like the idea of changing them each day.

• edited June 2016
    Mixed tourney, switching from Holdem to plo8 back and forth as the levels progress.

Ger
  • edited June 2016
    RLT's idea kind of alluding to a DYM shooutout format would be amazing and something I have never seen on any poker site. Would be brilliant for any MTT's nevermind freerolls.

For example, say there are 192 entrants...

32 x 6 handed tables, each table plays until 3 left who qualify for the next step. Then the remaining players form 16 x 6 handed tables with each playing till 3 left (probably ITM at this stage). Then repeating till we have 1 6 handed table which plays as normal.

Seen plenty shootouts where you have to win your table but none where each round is played in DYM format. Would love this!

Also like Ger's idea on mixing the games each level.

Regarding the 'low cost rebuy/add on' idea. This would be great way of getting rid of player points from players accounts and stop this coming up as an issue. Keep the prizepool the same, so no cost to Sky (we get plenty value out our points anyway). This would also proportionately reward those who earn more points, encourage players to earn more points, still give those earning minimal player points a chance and cost Sky nothing.
  • edited June 2016
    Partypoker had this format Mark, they called it shootouts, I liked it but it took a while for all the tables to finish so I think you would have to have the timed, or else a turbo format.

Ger
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July:
    Partypoker had this format Mark, they called it shootouts, I liked it but it took a while for all the tables to finish so I think you would have to have the timed, or else a turbo format. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Were they just regular shootouts Ger with 1 player progressing or did half the table progress to the next round? Used to play the odd shootout but have never heard of them anywhere where half the table progresses as in a DYM. 
  • edited June 2016
    Half the table progressed.
  • edited June 2016
    Half the table progressed.
    Posted by gerardirl
    Ah okay, surprised they didn't spread to other sites. Never seen them on any I play on. Used to play the odd game on PP, I must have had my oh8 filters drown them out...
  • edited June 2016
    I like the Mix it up each night idea.....

I'm not an omaha player, but, if we had a mix up week, I could see this being a great way to introduce players to this type of format.
  • edited June 2016
    RLT's idea kind of alluding to a DYM shooutout format would be amazing and something I have never seen on any poker site. Would be brilliant for any MTT's nevermind freerolls. For example, say there are 192 entrants... 32 x 6 handed tables, each table plays until 3 left who qualify for the next step. Then the remaining players form 16 x 6 handed tables with each playing till 3 left (probably ITM at this stage). Then repeating till we have 1 6 handed table which plays as normal. Seen plenty shootouts where you have to win your table but none where each round is played in DYM format. Would love this! Also like Ger's idea on mixing the games each level. Regarding the 'low cost rebuy/add on' idea. This would be great way of getting rid of player points from players accounts and stop this coming up as an issue. Keep the prizepool the same, so no cost to Sky (we get plenty value out our points anyway). This would also proportionately reward those who earn more points, encourage players to earn more points, still give those earning minimal player points a chance and cost Sky nothing.
    Posted by markycash
    I love the sound of this, for a Newcastle supporter Lee puts forward some great suggestions...;-)
  • edited June 2016
    RLT's idea kind of alluding to a DYM shooutout format would be amazing and something I have never seen on any poker site. Would be brilliant for any MTT's nevermind freerolls. For example, say there are 192 entrants... 32 x 6 handed tables, each table plays until 3 left who qualify for the next step. Then the remaining players form 16 x 6 handed tables with each playing till 3 left (probably ITM at this stage). Then repeating till we have 1 6 handed table which plays as normal. Seen plenty shootouts where you have to win your table but none where each round is played in DYM format. Would love this! Also like Ger's idea on mixing the games each level. Regarding the 'low cost rebuy/add on' idea. This would be great way of getting rid of player points from players accounts and stop this coming up as an issue. Keep the prizepool the same, so no cost to Sky (we get plenty value out our points anyway). This would also proportionately reward those who earn more points, encourage players to earn more points, still give those earning minimal player points a chance and cost Sky nothing.
    Posted by markycash
    Do you seriously think a rec player would want to wait for ages while the tables finished?

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Do you seriously think a rec player would want to wait for ages while the tables finished?
    Posted by MattBates
    Therein is the problem with this thread. Unfortunately I doubt many casual recs use the forum. It is the regulars like you and the poker enthusiasts of lesser ability and volume like me.

The FRs are no doubt aimed at the casual recs in order to encourage them to play for at least 50 points.

I suspect a 2nd aim is to get players on the site earlier in the evening than the normal peak.

We can propose ideas that we like and speculate as to their impact or take up, but the audience that really matter are largely not engaging here. Having said that every credit for Sky for engaging with us on the forum about this kind of thing.

Maybe sky can produce a shortlist of suggestions from the thread and then put to them to wider audience as part of a survey? Free £2.20 token or a special FR entry to anyone who responds?

On the specific issue of recs waiting for dym tables to close. That will also depend on how many are on phones/tablets and hence single tabling. If and when mobile apps allow multi-tabling, it might actually be a good thing for sky as it will encourage users to open another table.

• edited June 2016
    or waiting for ages with away players and blinds getting huge. there are plenty of forum players that play freerolls mate, only thing is not many will put idea's forward but watch the complaints next month when sky change something.

no other site asks for feedback let alone idea's.

there a few good idea's already but please dont do the dym all week (dym is not proper poker). put it in 1 day be great tho.

yeah should do another poll in say a weeks time with any other idea's that come plus the top 3/4 of this 1.
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Take your point, PercyMcPercy, that's fair enough, but my real point was, to take an extreme view,  it's no benefit to anyone if someone comes on & says he only plays deep stacks or whatever, because that brings nothing to the discussion at all.  As it happens, nobody takes much notice of what I say, & quite right too, & the thread is going exactly the way I hoped it might.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think the trouble is people come on and say what they want and the thread has proved it with the standard lets have PLO etc. The freerolls shouldnt be geared towards what I want, I am not the target player and I would have thought a lot of the regulars forum arent. 

For me I would have thought its about getting as much value for the rec players that a cash from a freeroll means something to. I would have thought this means paying more players and giving them a game they enjoy (what that is I dont know and will vary from player to player). Are the responses answering what would this type of player enjoy or are they answering what would they enjoy?

It is great that sky get player input but the trouble with this is everyone has their own self interests and this will sway their opinion. 
  • edited June 2016

we on the forum have become few in number, skewed in our outlooks and consequently our range of views has narrowed.  a poll here is only a poll of people here.  we are pretty much all turkeys voting in a christmas poll with differences being whether beef or chicken would be a better main dish. 

to me, the freerolls must be attractive to the tens of thousands who play infrequently and sporadically.  the freerolls should be simple fast games scheduled early in the evening.

thereafter, we should look to increase the numbers engaging with us on this forum.  unfortunately, we turkeys think far too much about our own immediate interests. 

stuffing?

• edited June 2016
    or waiting for ages with away players and blinds getting huge. there are plenty of forum players that play freerolls mate, only thing is not many will put idea's forward but watch the complaints next month when sky change something. no other site asks for feedback let alone idea's. there a few good idea's already but please dont do the dym all week (dym is not proper poker). put it in 1 day be great tho. yeah should do another poll in say a weeks time with any other idea's that come plus the top 3/4 of this 1.
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    Plenty maybe but still a significant minority of the 1000+ entrants daily in the Rewards FR.

I love the forum and I really like the way Sky have sought feedback on this thread.

I do think it is worth trying out some different ideas to freshen things up and if there is not a wider survey then I guess entry levels will provide the answers.

I am just trying to be realistic about the relevance of our opinions (especially the self-motivated change to this format/time as it suits me brigade) vs the real target audience, the majority of the 1000. Most of whom are probably happy as things are and will only become vocal if there is a change they do not like.
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Do you seriously think a rec player would want to wait for ages while the tables finished?
    Posted by MattBates

Turbo DYS's are done in no time. ITM could be achieved quicker and even if there are 7 or 8 steps till it is done I think it could easily be completed in a comparable time to the current games, possibly quicker. 

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Turbo DYS's are done in no time. ITM could be achieved quicker and even if there are 7 or 8 steps till it is done I think it could easily be completed in a comparable time to the current games, possibly quicker. 
    Posted by markycash
    I have to say that I agree with Matt on this, I absolutely loved the shoot-out format* on Party, but that was the days when I was a true rec playing one table.

It used to bore me to tears if I was on one of the tables which finished super quick and then am just sat waiting for up to an hour for the other tables to complete and the tournament to progress.  Made more frustrating that you can't even time when that will occur so have to stay in close proximity to your computer / if you're a rec you maybe don't want to start another SNG/MTT and then end up having to multi table.  With that in mind I don't think the majority would be big fans of this.

* that said, I did love this format and it'd be ace to see a paid game of this added to the schedule... may be something a decent number of low stakes SNG & DYM players would add to their evening's play in place of one extra STT?
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Turbo DYS's are done in no time. ITM could be achieved quicker and even if there are 7 or 8 steps till it is done I think it could easily be completed in a comparable time to the current games, possibly quicker. 
    Posted by markycash
    Even if you have a load of players sat out in the early rounds?
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Even if you have a load of players sat out in the early rounds?
    Posted by MattBates
    If it was a turbo yeah. I'd imagine 20 odd minutes max for away player stacks to be eaten by the blinds in a turbo DYM.

If it was regular blind levels then yeah, I would have to fully agree with you but if they were turbo I don't really see a problem personally.

Again due to the turbo element I don't think players would be waiting around for any significant periods of time between rounds.

Just my opinion though, maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong... (I have to concede I was wrong on the headhunters being added to the schedule). Although they could possibly have been better if they had been promoted a little more in advance though IMO.
  • edited June 2016
    I would go for turbos - or deep with hyper format. just my preference

Turbo omaha NL could be fun also
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : I think the trouble is people come on and say what they want and the thread has proved it with the standard lets have PLO etc. The freerolls shouldnt be geared towards what I want, I am not the target player and I would have thought a lot of the regulars forum arent.  For me I would have thought its about getting as much value for the rec players that a cash from a freeroll means something to. I would have thought this means paying more players and giving them a game they enjoy (what that is I dont know and will vary from player to player). Are the responses answering what would this type of player enjoy or are they answering what would they enjoy? It is great that sky get player input but the trouble with this is everyone has their own self interests and this will sway their opinion. 
    Posted by MattBates
    I cant speak for everyone else but I was trying to think of what everyone would enjoy rather than my profit margin
  • edited June 2016
    this is why i think it should be a mixture of events, that way everybody should be happy or one of the other dwarfs. 

dym torns would be popular here on sky i reckon, there not for me but i think they would take off.
  • edited June 2016
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : I think the trouble is people come on and say what they want and the thread has proved it with the standard lets have PLO etc. The freerolls shouldnt be geared towards what I want, I am not the target player and I would have thought a lot of the regulars forum arent.  For me I would have thought its about getting as much value for the rec players that a cash from a freeroll means something to. I would have thought this means paying more players and giving them a game they enjoy (what that is I dont know and will vary from player to player). Are the responses answering what would this type of player enjoy or are they answering what would they enjoy? It is great that sky get player input but the trouble with this is everyone has their own self interests and this will sway their opinion. 
    Posted by MattBates

I think you are right Matt, I guess its inevitable that we all tend to sway towards our own favoured formats,

I think these reward freerolls do need to appeal to the majority, which in turn brings more people into the normal games as they strive to get enough points to play the FR's.

I think most people like a fairly fast pace, and that tends to somewhat level the playing field,in theory it will be more possible for a wide variety of players to take something away from these tourneys, which in turn should encourage them to carry on playing and trying to fulfil entry requirements

• edited June 2016
    if its the £1,000 nightly freerolls.
    the more poker points players have the bigger starting stack they should get
    players who dont play a hand in the first 2 levels are removed from the tournie
    last remaining 10 players get £100 each
    turbo freezeout

• edited June 2016
    Posted by MattBates
    That's a great Post, Matt, especially the emboldened part. (IMO).  
  • edited June 2016
    Those mayhem tournaments last month had an excellent structure. it's 101 cash prizes meant you had good cash prizes further down the table rather than just on the final table and it's weekly prize structure means players would do all they can to ensure they were ready for each and every one.

If you were to remove that 7pm sat which awards 3 seats you could use it's cash prize as a weekly prize giving top prize a seat into the super roller and some smaller prized main events for thenext few before going into cash.

The 1K freeroll itself can be played as a turbo MTT, make the number of cash prizes smaller and use it for the weekly head tally.

If you were going to keep those early £20 freerolls why not make it a freeroll which required 10 points being earn the previous 24 hours and scrap the pointa tally from or account altogether that way nothing will be debated about a having a continous number of points increasing in our account.

I myself would enjoy playing deep stack freerolls but know already they will not suit the recs.
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Freerolls in July : Even if you have a load of players sat out in the early rounds?
    Posted by MattBates
    You don't get many away players in Rewards FRs.

1. You have to qualify with points 
    2. You have to reg on the day
  • edited June 2016
    How about keeping current format for most days but have something like "Try out Tuesdays" or a "Mix it up Mondays" where there is a new format in the regular slot.

Might encourage players to try different versions of the game like PLO(8) or it could be used by Sky to try out different twists to the NL along the lines of the OP or others in the thread.