You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Viva Las Vegas Vicariously

edited July 2016 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

The first Sky Poker Viva Las Vegas qualifiers arrive here in Las Vegas in the coming days.

Thousands of you tried to qualify to come to Las Vegas with Sky Poker, but just 45 (& their +1's) actually won packages.

So we will this thread to live Vegas vicariously, imagine you are there, & we'll try & bring you all the news, views, chip counts, stories, & general comings & goings.

That includes the staff from Sky Poker - photos, bios, who is here & what they get up to.

The thread only works if you interact, so any questions, fire away, & one of the Team - or qualifiers - will try & reply.

Off we jolly well go.

Comments

• edited July 2016

Have you qualified to go to Las Vegas with Sky Poker? Well done you.

The folks at home want to rail you, & identify with you, so tell us something about yourselves;

Name &/or Sky Poker alias. If you don't want your real name identified, that's fine, your alias is fine.

Who is your +1, & why did you choose to bring him or her?

Where do you live, what part of the country?

Do you have family - wife, children, pets? Names, types & gender please.

Fave football team?

Hobby?

Biggest poker achievement before Viva Las Vegas? 
  • edited July 2016

Links to Blogs will go up on here, too.

There have been a whole bunch already, & you can find them on the Sky Poker Vegas Hub,
    HERE

As & when new Blogs are published, the links will go on this thread first.
  • edited July 2016

Sky Poker will have quite a few staff here to help give the qualifiers an unforgettable experience, & we'll do some bios, pen pics & photos for you.

The first to arrive will be Sam, who is due to land at Noon on Tuesday on the Thomas Cook flight from Manchester.

(Note all times in this thread will be Vegas time, which is 8 hours BEHIND UK & Ireland time).

What does Sam do at Sky Poker usually?

His Official title - SB&G love grand job titles - is "Poker Customer Experience Manager".

What does that mean? I have no idea, seriously.

What I do know is that, on a day to day basis, Sam looks after "Ops", as in the MTT's, SNG's, Cash Games, & generally is the Top Cheese on a day to day basis on all things Sky Poker. Generally, if a question arises on the Forum, & I don't know the answer, Sam is my first point of call. (Marketing, Content, Priority etc are a separate department - more on those in due course, as if & when they arrive in Las Vegas).

Sam is based in Leeds, & is a Leeds United fan. Yup, Leeds United, lol. Give him some gip, the more the better.

He's a typical Yorkshireman - badly dressed (he has no idea), short on tact, & not the sharpest knife in the draw. That apart, a great bloke. Not sure of his age, but I'd hazard a guess at late forties.

Not his first trip to Las Vegas for Sky Poker - he was here last year, though few of us sighted him after Day One. Likes to drink & party, does Sam. Bit of a ladies man, too, or so I'm told.

I'm due to collect him from McCarron Airport at Noon on Tuesday, & if I can get a photo of him arriving, I'll share it with you.

• edited July 2016

Next to arrive, on Wednesday, due in at 7,15pm on the BA flight from Heathrow, will be Mr Ambo, aka Neil Channing.

I'll be picking him up from the airport unless I make Day 2 of the $600 Big O @ Venetian, which is a 2 day thingie which starts at 5pm on Tuesday, with Day 2 @ 5pm on Wednesday. Safe to say, I'll be at the Airport, then.

You all know everything about Neil, so I don't need to trouble you with a bio. I'll try & get a photo of him straight off the plane if I can, but for now, here's Neil after Iceland beat England. You have to guess what team he backed.

• edited July 2016

Next to arrive - on Thursday - will be Dan, who runs Sky Poker TV.

It will be Dan's 5th or 6th trip to Vegas for Sky Poker. When he first came here he was just the "runner", aka Teaboy, but he gradually worked himself up the ladder & now runs Sky Poker TV, where he is also the Producer.

Dan lives in West London, & is an Arsenal supporter.

A real pain to work for in some ways, but in a nice way - Dan likes everything to be just so. All the Sky Poker Videos from Las Vegas in the last 4 or 5 years have been filmed edited & produced by Dan. His team back in London is Louis, who looks after most stuff when Dan is away, & Chan, who is the Director, & has been with SB&G since before Sky Poker started.

Dan's work starts on Friday @ 9am sharp, as Friday sees the $111,111 One Drop thing, & as such, it should attract all the big names & faces, so Dan is hoping we can get to interview a few of them.

Most days, Dan will produce a Daily Update from Vegas, similar to last year, with Neil Channing providing the talk, &, if needed, me doing the role of stooge & Wardrobe Advisor.  

• edited July 2016

OK, that should get us started.

Don't forget, the thread only works if you interact, & we'll promise to try & answer all questions.

Over to you.

• edited July 2016
    Tikay..... do all Sky Poker package winners play the same 2 events or do they have a choice as long as it for the buyin they won?
  • edited July 2016
    is it this week they arrive ???
  • edited July 2016
    Which tournament are the Sky qualifiers in pls, good luck to them all.
  • edited July 2016
    Have the most amazing time and may good luck follow you
    all the way to the final tables.

Don't forget your sun cream for when and "if" you venture outside
    its very hot at the moment.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Viva Las Vegas Vicariously:
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Half a dozen have won packages for the 10k Main Event and about 40 are in the $1111 "droplet" which this year comes after the start of the main.
  • edited July 2016
    Tikay..... do all Sky Poker package winners play the same 2 events or do they have a choice as long as it for the buyin they won?
    Posted by scouse_red
    Hi Scouse,

See the reply by FCHD.

They have qualified for EITHER the $10,000 Main Event, or the $1,111 Little One Drop.
  • edited July 2016
    is it this week they arrive ???
    Posted by 46229
    Hi 46229,

They will arrive later this week or early next week.

• edited July 2016
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Hi Doyle,

Either the $10,000 Main Event, or the $1,111 Little One Drop.

The Main Event starts this Saturday, but has three opening days - Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th & Monday 11th.

The $1,111 Little One Drop has three opening days - Tuesday 12th July, Wednesday 13th July & Thursday 14th July.

• edited July 2016
    Have you qualified to go to Las Vegas with Sky Poker? Well done you. The folks at home want to rail you, & identify with you, so tell us something about yourselves; Name &/or Sky Poker alias. If you don't want your real name identified, that's fine, your alias is fine.   Who is your +1, & why did you choose to bring him or her? Where do you live, what part of the country? Do you have family - wife, children, pets? Names, types & gender please.   Fave football team? Hobby? Biggest poker achievement before Viva Las Vegas? 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Name &/or Sky Poker alias.

Real name for any WSOP updates if I am fortunate enough to get a little run together is Mark Baillie. I am sure you can all figure out my Sky alias but I am usually known online as Marky_Crash although it wouldn't allow me to select that alias when joining Sky.

Who is your +1, & why did you choose to bring him or her?

My dad is coming along as my +1. I asked him to come as he has never been to Vegas but plays poker most nights online. He isn't a fan of the sun/heat so it might get interesting lol. I am sure he will enjoy it though!

Where do you live, what part of the country?

I live in Ayrshire on the west coast of Scotland. The area is known for being a hotbed of OH8 talent, producing the likes of WeeCheez1, Churchy18 & myself and a few other Sky regs :)

Do you have family - wife, children, pets? Names, types & gender please.

Have a long term girlfriend and twins aged 22 (1 boy & 1 girl). Also have 2 rather crazy border collies and 2 cats.

Fave football team?

The same as Churchy I think ;-) Celtic

Hobby?

Hmm not sure about this one... Ah yeah, poker! I like football too but to be honest have not had much time lately for hobbies as I am studying psychology full time at uni, work as a research consultant and voluntarily serve on the board for 2 charities and run a cleaning business off and on.

Biggest poker achievement before Viva Las Vegas?

Taking part in a series of poker tourneys on Eurosport where I eventually finished 2nd for $100,000.

-------------------

Really looking forward to getting over there, meeting everyone and splashing some chips around! I and around 39 others am playing event 69 the 'Little One for One Drop' which is a $1,111 buy in NLHE MTT. Players in this start with 10,000 chips and 1 hour levels. I think 6 players are getting to play event 68 the $10k buy in main event with 2 hour blind levels and 50,000 starting chips.

Will try and add a few photos and updates on here and on my blog thread of anything which may or may not be of interest :)
  • edited July 2016

^^^^

Good work Mark, exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for, as it helps readers identify with our Team.

We need a few more responses now, come on lads, chop chop.  
  • edited July 2016
    come on lads, chop chop.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Chop chop Tikay?  Wouldn't they all prefer to win the event than chop 40 ways lol?

Serious question now though - the little drop game itself - I think it has 10k starting chips and 20 mins blinds?  Does that mean it's like a roller game (slow and steady) or is it more like a Tuesday night turbo?

(You can see the lack of my poker education in the question itself.

PS - Hope the 5 main event players are getting their beauty sleep - they'll need to be fresh as daisies soon.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Viva Las Vegas Vicariously : Chop chop Tikay?  Wouldn't they all prefer to win the event than chop 40 ways lol? Serious question now though - the little drop game itself - I think it has 10k starting chips and 20 mins blinds?  Does that mean it's like a roller game (slow and steady) or is it more like a Tuesday night turbo? (You can see the lack of my poker education in the question itself. PS - Hope the 5 main event players are getting their beauty sleep - they'll need to be fresh as daisies soon.
    Posted by IrishRose
    10k starting with 1 hour blinds Rose.

Most of the $1k buy ins are actually 5k starting stacks so this one is quite good. The 1 hour levels are not as amazing as they sound though as it takes longer to deal hands live obviously but are better than almost all of the non WSOP tourneys taking place in Vegas at the same time.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Viva Las Vegas Vicariously : Chop chop Tikay?  Wouldn't they all prefer to win the event than chop 40 ways lol? Serious question now though - the little drop game itself - I think it has 10k starting chips and 20 mins blinds?  Does that mean it's like a roller game (slow and steady) or is it more like a Tuesday night turbo? (You can see the lack of my poker education in the question itself. PS - Hope the 5 main event players are getting their beauty sleep - they'll need to be fresh as daisies soon.
    Posted by IrishRose
    The Little One Drop structure is beautiful, Rose.

The Sky Poker players get the additional 5,000 chips (as will almost everyone), so 10,000 starting chips, & blinds start at 25-50, with one hour levels. Very much a Roller structure (but with antes from Level 3) & deffo not even remotely resembling a Turbo. 

Here you go, here's the structure - it's a beaut.

http://www.wsop.com/pdfs/structuresheets/structure_1232_14969.pdf

• edited July 2016
    Thanks Marky and Tikay - you're both mega helpful as always :)
  • edited July 2016
    Tikay, are you getting lucky this year as much as last ;)

See you next week.

• edited July 2016

I'm off to the airport in a few hours. Really looking forward to it now. It'll be lovely to meet all the qualifiers.

Tomorrow I'm going to play the $1,000 event which will be one of three shots I get, (unless I go really deep in the main and then it'll be two), to win a bracelet. I'll be starting at 11am and Tweeting a little @senseichanning and probably 12% will go back on day two Friday.

I think we get to meet the five players who qualified for the main with Sky on Thursday night so that will be nice.

On Monday all the people who won the smaller package will be meeting up for a nice party. Many of them will be in Vegas for the first time and I'm sure they'll all be nervous and excited. I look forward to meeting and chatting with them.
  • edited July 2016
     I'm off to the airport in a few hours. Really looking forward to it now. It'll be lovely to meet all the qualifiers.  Tomorrow I'm going to play the $1,000 event which will be one of three shots I get, (unless I go really deep in the main and then it'll be two), to win a bracelet. I'll be starting at 11am and Tweeting a little @senseichanning and probably 12% will go back on day two Friday.  I think we get to meet the five players who qualified for the main with Sky on Thursday night so that will be nice.  On Monday all the people who won the smaller package will be meeting up for a nice party. Many of them will be in Vegas for the first time and I'm sure they'll all be nervous and excited. I look forward to meeting and chatting with them.
    Posted by NChanning
    All the best sir and run golden

• edited July 2016
    Looking forward to following all the qualifiers progress on here. Good luck to them all, especially the likes of Timmy, RLT and Mark that keep the diaries on here.

Would be interested to know how many of the qualifiers from Sky are pro's.
  • edited July 2016

I have got a photo or two of the early arrivals, including Sam, but it's late here (0450) and I need to get to bed, so will upload them in the morning.

• edited July 2016
    GL to all Sky qualifiers.
  • edited July 2016
    I have got a photo or two of the early arrivals, including Sam, but it's late here (0450) and I need to get to bed, so will upload them in the morning.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Apologies for the delay and lack of photos and posts, I have suffered an unexpected interruption. 
  • edited July 2016
    Talking of living Vegas vicariously, Tikay has reached Day 2 of a "Big O" event at the Venetian, where the chip leader is WSOP Event 10 winner Mike Cordell.

Also still in the field of 25 is 3-time bracelet winner "Miami" John Cernuto who might be even older than Tikay.
  • edited July 2016
    Talking of living Vegas vicariously, Tikay has reached Day 2 of a "Big O" event at the Venetian, where the chip leader is WSOP Event 10 winner Mike Cordell. Also still in the field of 25 is 3-time bracelet winner "Miami" John Cernuto who might be even older than Tikay.
    Posted by FCHD
    Fantasticcccccccccc Tikay - hope you TID xx
  • edited July 2016
    First time I have ever seen Tikay with an above average stack