You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WSOP Main Event today - the biggest poker day of the year.

edited July 2016 in Poker Chat
Run golden Mr Ambo 

Comments

• edited July 2016

Good morning to you all from a blisteringly hot Las Vegas, 0930 here & it is already 35c.

Today sees Day 1c, the third & final flight of the WSOP Main Event, & around 4,000 players are expected to stump up $10,000 each, so that's $40 million today alone.

A busy day for the Sky Poker Team, too. Most of the qualifiers for the Little One Drop - The Droplet - arrive today, so Sam, Mark & Liz will have their hands full.

TV Dan, thanks to a lot of help from Mr Ambo, will be filming interviews with Daniel Negreanu & Miss Boeree, & Dan is trying to get Shane Warne and one or two others. These interviews all require research, & a lot of fiffing & faffing to find the best places to record them. The WSOP, & The Rio, are VERY strict as to where & what we can film.

We also have to record the Daily Update from the WSOP, & with Mr Ambo playing the Main event today, time is tight, as he's a busy man, & we don't want to be doing anything which will lessen his chances in the world's biggest poker event.

At 8pm this evening, it is the Players Welcome Party, too, over at Palazzo. That's 15 minutes away by cab or car, so Dan & I need to dash across there later for an hour or so before returning to The Rio & continuing the Live Update. We'd like to spend the whole evening at the Welcome Party, but we just can't be in 2 places at once, but we'll see plenty of them when they are playing, & Sam, Mark & Liz will look after them splendidly this evening.      

Anyone who is not envious of those playing the Main Event today is not a real poker player. I know I'm seriously envious, & I bet most of you are. The WSOP Main is just the nuts.       

• edited July 2016

Most of today's Live Update will focus on Sky Poker's Ambassador, aka Mr Ambo, aka Neil Channing.

Neil has 33 "in the money" (ITM) finishes in the WSOP already, & we are rooting for ITM # 34.

We'll try & get plenty of photos of him in action, & try to let you know about any big pots he plays, & the other players on his table.

We also have the 5th of the Sky Poker qualifiers playing the Main Event today. However, he has requested anonymity, & to be left alone to concentrate on his play today, & Sky Poker have agreed to respect that wish for today.

Play starts at 11am Vegas (7pm UK), which is just over an hour from now. The buzz is building already, so we'll try & bring you some of the atmo. 

If you have a friend playing the Main Event, or a particular "big name" you'd like us to follow, let us know & we'll see what we can do.

I'm not even playing & I'm so excited I need to go & have a wee.    

• edited July 2016

Main Event entries on Days 1A & 1B are slightly up on last year. The number of survivors from each flight is considerably higher, due to the amended structure & starting stack.

Day 1A - 764 entries, 546 survived. (71.5%)

Day 1B - 1,733 entries, 1,302 survived. (75.1%)   
  • edited July 2016

The queue to buy in, just a minute ago......

• edited July 2016

We will be posting photos on my Twitter feed, too, @Tony_Kendall, & maybe on the @SkyPoker twitter feed too.
  • edited July 2016

Great coverage as always Tikay, and yep I'm just envious of you being there, never mind not playing!

Wishing the best of luck to Neil and all the Sky and UK players out there, hope the main event is brilliant for you all.
  • edited July 2016

The opening speech by last year's winner has started, then they do the National Anthem thing, & then it'll be SHUFFLE UP & DEAL
  • edited July 2016

Even if no alias or real name printed, i would like to know how the last Sky qualifier is getting on/gets on at close of play. I understand the need for anonymity but I would much prefer to hear news of recs playing in this game than the pros.

GL to all anyway today....should be a big field.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: WSOP Main Event today - the biggest poker day of the year.:
    Even if no alias or real name printed, i would like to know how the last Sky qualifier is getting on/gets on at close of play. I understand the need for anonymity but I would much prefer to hear news of recs playing in this game than the pros. GL to all anyway today....should be a big field.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yup, will try & give an update at close of play.
  • edited July 2016

The queues to buy in (40 minutes after it started) get ever longer. The Registration room is full, & the queue now spills outside.

• edited July 2016

...and, eventually, Mr Phil Ivey makes an appearance, looking rather monk-like without his hat.

Behind him, on the rail, are Mr & Mrs Humphreys, who rail him all day every day whenever & wherever he plays.

• edited July 2016
    Good Luck Neil, and all Sky Poker players & Staff.
  • edited July 2016

Today's Daily Video Update from the WSOP.

https://youtu.be/iEUA5pRv7tA
  • edited July 2016
    Hope Neil does better in the WSOP than I did in the WSOC (World Series Of Carpenters), Where I lost out by not making the final table.
  • edited July 2016

This gentleman just introduced himself to me during the 1st break of the WSOP Main Event - Sky Poker player "lovejunky".

Smashing bloke, shocking patch on his short....

• edited July 2016
    Some interesting tables have cropped up - the 2014 winner Martin Jacobson is sitting with 8-time bracelet holder Eric Seidel and John Racener, while it it going to be chatty on the table containing both Daniel Negreanu and Shane Warne.
  • edited July 2016
    Some interesting tables have cropped up - the 2014 winner Martin Jacobson is sitting with 8-time bracelet holder Eric Seidel and John Racener, while it it going to be chatty on the table containing both Daniel Negreanu and Shane Warne.
    Posted by FCHD
    Oddly, the pair of them are unusually quiet, Danny is having a massage, & Shane is busy on his smartphone sending instagram things.

Wonder if Shane would like our Spin Up tables?

And in a curious coincidence, we are scheduled to interview both today, Shane during the 2nd break, & Danny during the dinner break, & the 2 of them are seated on the same table. The odds of that must be pretty high.   

• edited July 2016

Slight delay to the start of Level 2 whilst they do today's Bracelet Ceremony for the Ladies event.
  • edited July 2016
    Hi Tikay
    Good luck to the Ambo,  as well as any Sky poker players entering.
    I am wishing I was able to play even though I would not last very long.
    As I do not do twitter can I guess 77350 for our hero.

• edited July 2016

Ian Simpson has 52,000 poker chips at the break, + burger & chips from the Poker Kitchen.
  • edited July 2016
    Hi Tikay Good luck to the Ambo,  as well as any Sky poker players entering. I am wishing I was able to play even though I would not last very long. As I do not do twitter can I guess 77350 for our hero.
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nick, how's it going mate?

77,350, that'd be great.
  • edited July 2016
    Hi Tikay,
    Life is pretty good, my poker on the other hand..........
    I have enjoyed reading about your trip "next door" and have been living the dream through your exploits. 
    Maybe next year if I am lucky enough to win a package, or if I save up enough pennies I can live it myself.
    Enjoy what is left of your trip, although I think you are going to be busy.
    Nick

• edited July 2016
    Can we guess here? if so I say 62001, if we cant guess here no bother.

Thanks for the video Tikay, although I was more watching the girl pretending to be on her phone in the background than u and Neil :D

Ger
  • edited July 2016
    Even if no alias or real name printed, i would like to know how the last Sky qualifier is getting on/gets on at close of play. I understand the need for anonymity but I would much prefer to hear news of recs playing in this game than the pros. GL to all anyway today....should be a big field.
    Posted by MAXALLY

He probably is more likely to be a pro, hence not wanting his name revealed.
  • edited July 2016
    Hello Tikay how is Mr. Ambo doing and Ian Simpson and is Stu Rutter playing, have the other Sky players acclimatised yet good luck to them all.
  • edited July 2016
    Hello Tikay how is Mr. Ambo doing and Ian Simpson and is Stu Rutter playing, have the other Sky players acclimatised yet good luck to them all.
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Hi Doyle,

Ian Simpson had 52,000 at the first break.

Stu Rutter played yesterday, & bagged up 16,000.

Neil Channing had 62,000 last I heard, though I'm off to get the latest position shortly. In truth, at this stage, it does not mean too much.

I gather he had 9-9, & the flop came 9-9-7.

MBN.