You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do you need to be a good poker player.

edited August 2016 in Poker Chat

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Ok was late this morning. I know what I meant to say but was worded wrong. Take the mick all you like. Don't make a blin bit of difference. Least it's got forum talking. 
  • edited July 2016
    Yep discipline, patience, fresh alert mind, always willing to evolve.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player?:
    Yep discipline, patience, fresh alert mind, always willing to evolve.
    Posted by gerardirl
    ...and the ability to ignore those who describe your play as a "joke".

I was in stitches last night after you won that hand & the fella kicked off. Thought you handled it perfectly.

"Sorry m8, I'm new to the game, just learning....."

• edited July 2016
  • edited July 2016
    Low blow chilling. Lol
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to What attributes do you need to be a poker player?:
    An athlete needs to train, keep fit and keep in shape and stamina. As a poker player what do you need that is on par with an athlete. Would you class poker players in the same ball park as an athlete?
    Posted by Darkangel7

Didn't you meet Hhyftrftdr at MK?........just sayin ;-)
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to What attributes do you need to be a poker player?:
    An athlete needs to train, keep fit and keep in shape and stamina. As a poker player what do you need that is on par with an athlete. Would you class poker players in the same ball park as an athlete?
    Posted by Darkangel7
    She said class poker players Jimi
    This post doesn't really apply to Hhyftrftdr

• edited July 2016
    In Response to What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : She said class poker players Jimi This post doesn't really apply to  Hhyftrftdr
    Posted by Jac35
    She also said "athlete".

Case closed.
  • edited July 2016
    I knew I could rely on youu two gents to keep the ball rolling :-))
  • edited July 2016
    A thick skin helps :-)
  • edited July 2016
    the willing to learn
    concentration
    decent inernet (note to self)
  • edited July 2016
    Good morning all.
    All you need to be a  poker  player is £2.20 and an understanding Wife.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
  • edited July 2016
    In my case at the moment plenty of money 
  • edited July 2016
    Interesting post!

I think this varies so much from person to person.

I know some successful players who grind 15 hours a day and are hugely overweight. Then if you look at Negreanu, he is very health conscious, eats well and is heavily into exercise etc.

Personally I would say some general factors which might help a player do well are...

Being able to find the correct balance between hard maths and creativity. Too much creativity can mean leaking masses of chips and if hard maths were all that mattered the game would filled with mathematicians stockpiling everyones money. So a good balance between the two is key IMO.

Strong analytical skills can help players find the best games for them, the right amount of tables for them to play, help them work out the best solutions on specific hands/tourneys etc.

An ability to reflect on your own game and constantly make changes when required.

Personally I would say one of they most important factors is to be dynamic. For example not be a particular player type such as LAG or TAG or whatever but instead to adapt to the optimal style for the players you are surrounded by or the stack of chips you have in front of you.

• edited July 2016
    most importantly is to enjoy the game
  • edited July 2016
  • edited July 2016
    Im new too it but patience and aggression seem to be the way forward, its applying them in the correct situatons I struggle with lol
  • edited July 2016
    Interesting post! I think this varies so much from person to person. I know some successful players who grind 15 hours a day and are hugely overweight. Then if you look at Negreanu, he is very health conscious, eats well and is heavily into exercise etc. Personally I would say some general factors which might help a player do well are... Being able to find the correct balance between hard maths and creativity. Too much creativity can mean leaking masses of chips and if hard maths were all that mattered the game would filled with mathematicians stockpiling everyones money. So a good balance between the two is key IMO. Strong analytical skills can help players find the best games for them, the right amount of tables for them to play, help them work out the best solutions on specific hands/tourneys etc. An ability to reflect on your own game and constantly make changes when required. Personally I would say one of they most important factors is to be dynamic. For example not be a particular player type such as LAG or TAG or whatever but instead to adapt to the optimal style for the players you are surrounded by or the stack of chips you have in front of you.
    Posted by markycash

What I meant was athletes train and are athletic, how can people grind so many hours and keep their stamina up and mental awareness. It kills me after a few hours and my mind starts to wander. That's why I probably run so bad as I do. I enjoy the game but would you class players a bit like athletes? Everyone has to be on their top game and how to maintain it. Do you have to train your brain for concentration for so many hours. Some players play 13 hours a day so I hear. How do they keep their focus and become successful. There has got to be some form of something that makes them like they are.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What do you need to be a good poker player.:
    In mtts donna, there are many , many, top players, but normally only one winner.So consistency must be the key. Do we judge ourselves by the goals we concede, or the goals we score.
    Posted by chilling
    Depends on how we look at things, like is the glass half full or half empty.

Did I meet H at MK? Not sure cant remember
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : What I meant was athletes train and are athletic, how can people grind so many hours and keep their stamina up and mental awareness. It kills me after a few hours and my mind starts to wander. That's why I probably run so bad as I do. I enjoy the game but would you class players a bit like athletes? Everyone has to be on their top game and how to maintain it. Do you have to train your brain for concentration for so many hours. Some players play 13 hours a day so I hear. How do they keep their focus and become successful. There has got to be some form of something that makes them like they are.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Key to this is knowing your own limits. No-one can grind for ever, and everyone has optimal amounts of time (and numbers of tables). This is one of the reasons why a lot of good poker players (and, coincidentally, me) are ex-chess players, used to concentrating for hours knowing you are often only as good as your one bad play...

I would recommend any regular player thinks carefully about how long they will play for on any given day, and what their maximum and typical amount of time should be
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : Key to this is knowing your own limits. No-one can grind for ever, and everyone has optimal amounts of time (and numbers of tables). This is one of the reasons why a lot of good poker players (and, coincidentally, me) are ex-chess players, used to concentrating for hours knowing you are often only as good as your one bad play... I would recommend any regular player thinks carefully about how long they will play for on any given day, and what their maximum and typical amount of time should be
    Posted by Essexphil
    Wow Phil that's intresting. Did you play professionally? That in itself is something I never grasped how to play unfortunately.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : Wow Phil that's intresting. Did you play professionally? That in itself is something I never grasped how to play unfortunately.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    No-i peaked at 11, when I was ranked 4th in the world for under 12s. Junior international/County player, but wine women and song took over :)
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : No-i peaked at 11, when I was ranked 4th in the world for under 12s. Junior international/County player, but wine women and song took over :)
    Posted by Essexphil
    Omg that is an amazing achievement for someone so young. Something to brag about too. Bit too young at 11 though for wine women and song wasn't it ;)
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What do you need to be a good poker player. : Depends on how we look at things, like is the glass half full or half empty. Did I meet H at MK? Not sure cant remember
    Posted by Darkangel7
    In my case the glass is usually Empty :).....who's round is it?
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What do you need to be a good poker player. : In my case the glass is usually Empty :).....who's round is it?
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Craigs lol
  • edited July 2016
    Analytical skills, critical thinking and the ability to execute what you've learnt are more important now than ever before in poker. Why? Simple - the techno revolution has provided us with immense software capable of calcuating extremely complicated simulations in seconds, those same simulations that would be close to impossible for any human to calculate. 

You need to be a) curious which would lead to the discovery of the aforementioned software, b) capable of analysing what you've found in your calculations, c) be able to criticially think about what you've found to help you gain greater understanding about how poker works so you can apply it effectively, which leads me nicely on to d) execution. It's all well & good studying and roughly knowing how a spot should work, or watching a Sauce video and thinking you would make the same decisions, but in real time it's a completely different story. You have to incorporate all that you've learnt previously, and then apply it in the 15-30 seconds time that you have to make your decision. And of course once you think you've got a solid game, you need to be able to adjust to your opponents' style of play because poker is one of those beautifully complex games where each opponent is likely to be playing a different strategy in every single spot to another opponent, meaning there's a different optimal response in every single spot. Fun!!!

Like most other things in life, this bunch of stuff is usually required: work-ethic, dedication, perhaps knowing the right people, enjoyment, etc. 
  • edited July 2016
    Does the 15-30 seconds not shrink dramatically when a player is multi-tabling?
    Posted by chilling
    ja effectively, but someone who is multi-tabling should be very comfortable with the majority of decisions that have to made in poker, i.e. automatic decisions. The more experience someone gains, theoretically they should be more able to play multi-tables. Of course the automatic decisions don't turn much of a significant net profit against other competent players because they'll be roughly doing the same thing, it's the more complex spots that make people the $$$. The less mistakes you make = the more money you make. sounds easy :( :? :/
  • edited July 2016
    Interesting post! I think this varies so much from person to person. I know some successful players who grind 15 hours a day and are hugely overweight. Then if you look at Negreanu, he is very health conscious, eats well and is heavily into exercise etc. Personally I would say some general factors which might help a player do well are... Being able to find the correct balance between hard maths and creativity. Too much creativity can mean leaking masses of chips and if hard maths were all that mattered the game would filled with mathematicians stockpiling everyones money. So a good balance between the two is key IMO. Strong analytical skills can help players find the best games for them, the right amount of tables for them to play, help them work out the best solutions on specific hands/tourneys etc. An ability to reflect on your own game and constantly make changes when required. Personally I would say one of they most important factors is to be dynamic. For example not be a particular player type such as LAG or TAG or whatever but instead to adapt to the optimal style for the players you are surrounded by or the stack of chips you have in front of you.
    Posted by markycash
    Negreanu is paid a $3 million annual salary. You can't really compare that to your average pro, who needs to grind just to pay the bills and put food on the table.
  • edited July 2016
    Just been down the gym for 17 hours.
  • edited July 2016
    Just been down the gym for 17 hours.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

omg H lol