You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do you need to be a good poker player.

2»

Comments

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What do you need to be a good poker player.:
    In Response to Re: What do you need to be a good poker player. : omg H lol
    Posted by Darkangel7

Couple new vending machines. Some very tricky decisions.

Ignore the TROLLS on the first page.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What do you need to be a good poker player. : omg H lol
    Posted by Darkangel7

Rumour has it he got locked in the loo!
  • edited July 2016
    Having a bit of a roller coaster week this week. I be reet Yorkshire lasses are made of tough stuff. I knew what wanted to say but at that time in morning difficult to find the right words. 
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player?:
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : Negreanu is paid a $3 million annual salary. You can't really compare that to your average pro, who needs to grind just to pay the bills and put food on the table.
    Posted by Aerionz
    Was just an example, there are a raft of players who keep very healthy lifestyles and probably just as many at the other end of the spectrum.

Don't actually think Negreanu is that bad an example anyway. He might not play insane volume but he plays a fair amount and has amassed some pretty impressive winnings. I would also guess his run to 10th or whatever in last years main event and playing 12 hours + a day for a week would have taken a fair bit of mental stamina.
  • edited July 2016
    Another question is how do you stop burn out. Such at tikay and Neil who've been playing for years and other players. Does it not take a toll on your health? Playing and grinding till early hours day after day. 
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : Was just an example, there are a raft of players who keep very healthy lifestyles and probably just as many at the other end of the spectrum. Don't actually think Negreanu is that bad an example anyway. He might not play insane volume but he plays a fair amount and has amassed some pretty impressive winnings. I would also guess his run to 10th or whatever in last years main event and playing 12 hours + a day for a week would have taken a fair bit of mental stamina.
    Posted by markycash
    Well my point was that Negreanu doesn't need the money. He's just playing for fun/pride/ego. Your average grinder needs the money in order to survive, so things like health and fitness might go out the window if they are highly stressed and struggling to make ends meet.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: What attributes do you need to be a poker player? : Well my point was that Negreanu doesn't need the money. He's just playing for fun/pride/ego. Your average grinder needs the money in order to survive, so things like health and fitness might go out the window if they are highly stressed and struggling to make ends meet.
    Posted by Aerionz
    Definitely, I have fell into that trap in the past myself. Negreanu still has a lot of other qualities that could be defined as 'attributes needed to be a good poker player' though.
  • edited July 2016
    Every top player starts at the bottom.though and works their way to the top. 
  • edited July 2016
    Guts. Desire. Bottle.
  • edited July 2016
    Sorry dark are you still talking about poker or?
    Posted by gerardirl
    Still poker ger 
  • edited July 2016
    Another question is how do you stop burn out. Such at tikay and Neil who've been playing for years and other players. Does it not take a toll on your health? Playing and grinding till early hours day after day
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Both Neil & I have been playing for a very long time - Neil far longer than me - but I doubt we have played as much poker as many modern day online players. They can play as many MTT's in a single night as we'd play "Live" in a year.

"burn out" is impossible for me, as poker is not a chore, or hard work, or anything like that - it's a hobby, where I have fun, so burn out is impossible.

"playing & grinding?".......well I play, but I don't "grind". I loathe the term, it has negative connotations. Plenty of humdrum jobs in life must be a "grind", life must be a grind for many, but poker can never be a grind for me - if it ever became a grind I'd snap quit. It's fun. "grinding" does not sound like fun to me.

I play the hours I feel comfy with - usually 4 or 5 hours per evening. If the games kept going longer (they don't in my preferred format) I'd play a lot longer, but that'd be a problem, as I like to get up between 5 & 6am every morning.

I was in Vegas recently, & I hope this does not sound chirpy, but some of the playing days there were extremely long. I made 5 Day Two's, including 3 x WSOP Day Two's, so that means Day One would be 14 hours or so, & then we started again at Midday or 2pm the next day. I played one little (by Vegas standards) Big O Comp that cost $240 (about £180) to enter, & it started at 2pm in the afternoon & we finished at 0630 the next morning. So that was 16 hours straight (minus breaks, but breaks are a pain & are not really breaks at all). And so those days were mentally exhausting, keeping concentration all that time, but adrenalin is a wonderful thing & hypes you up. And the next morning, when you are due to start again, the adrenalin hangover kicks in, & you feel a little flat. But it's abso not a grind, its why we play poker for days like that, surely? Not sure I've ever played any online sessions of even half that length, but "live" is so different, so interesting, so exciting.

Health issues? This sounds a bit bizarre, but I'm not a young man, & I'm not well-maintained, far from it. And I took the view that this might be my last ever Vegas trip, so I actually trained for it. I started trying to get fitter & lose weight on January 16th, & walked between 2 & 4 miles every single day until June 2nd, the day before I left for Vegas. (Over 300 miles in total). I lost almost 3 stone, & was in the best nick I'd been for years. And I genuinely believe that helped me have my most successful Vegas trip ever. So yes, it helps to be healthy if you plan to play a lot of lengthy poker sessions.         

• edited July 2016
    Thank you for the reply Tikay. Live and online playing are two different kind of animals, so having so little live experience and playing online are totally different. Live you've got the cards and the chips to physically touch where as online it's all buttons and sliders. Also live your probably chatting to people at the table and can see tells etc. Online none of that just chat or abuse  (when you either ko someone or "play a bad hand and win") and can multi table. 

Vegas won't be the same without you Tikay. I know how hard you worked and loved the reporting from everyone. It felt I was there living the dream with you and the rest of the sky players. Thank you for that too. 
  • edited July 2016
    Online - a good rail
    Live - a good chat

And in both cases a large dash of Rosiness
  • edited July 2016
    Online - a good rail Live - a good chat And in both cases a large dash of Rosiness
    Posted by GELDY
    Lol luvs ya Geldy x that cheered me up. Never be the same without a little rosie in our lives.
  • edited July 2016
    A wise women once said to me... RUN GOLDEN!
  • edited July 2016
    A wise women once said to me... RUN GOLDEN!
    Posted by devil_tear
    And did you run golden? :)
  • edited July 2016
    Get up to date woman.Devil binked something the other day after your gl post. Its a good job i live in the south innit. Wednesdays main event.Good lord youre a scatterbrain at times.lol
    Posted by chilling
    Scattiest brain going at the minute but have a heart of gold :P and no you can't weigh it in
  • edited August 2016
    patience  and not tilt i  know loads of good players that make money from the game but cant handle the mental side of it when u go on a losing run end up tilting and lose what u have made over a month in a few days