You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Explaining the "Squeeze Play"

2»

Comments

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Explaining the "Squeeze Play":
    In Response to Re: Explaining the "Squeeze Play" : Question: Is a squeeze play inherently a bluff? i.e. if, as in the above example from RLT16, you have a premium hand pre-flop, almost certainly the best hand, is 5x-6x' ing it still considered a squeeze play? Or is it simply getting value from your hand and making sure not too many players go to the flop. You're not necessarily trying to take everyone off the hand in that instance, you'd ideally want a caller or re-raiser if you've got AA, KK etc. I've always had an association in my mind that when someone 'squeezes' as opposed to simply putting in a big raise, it's because by definition they don't have a hand and are running a bluff in such a way that no-one can call unless they're slow-playing the goods. ?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    This was discussed by a few of us the other day. We decided that the squeeze is a description of the action and our holding is not relevant so we may or may not have a hand
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Explaining the "Squeeze Play" : This was discussed by a few of us the other day. We decided that the squeeze is a description of the action and our holding is not relevant so we may or may not have a hand
    Posted by MattBates
    Would make complete sense to balance this action, otherwise when it is recognised as such it becomes exploitable.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Explaining the "Squeeze Play" : This was discussed by a few of us the other day. We decided that the squeeze is a description of the action and our holding is not relevant so we may or may not have a hand
    Posted by MattBates
    For me it isn't a squeeze if you have an extremely strong hand such as AA KK, it would be as someone mentioned simply an attempt to maximise the value out of your hand. Unless you wanted them all to fold which would be stupid but I guess could be labelled a squeeze. With a squeeze the goal is to get players to fold, you obviously don't want players to fold if you have a premium, you want value.

I don't agree however that it needs to be a bluff and that you cannot think you have the best hand. For example if you have 55 and a loose player opens and someone throws in a call and action comes to you. You may think your pocket 5's are the best hand. You may ordinarily have standard opened this holding or sought to set mine and were not particularly looking to get stacks in. You may then deviate from your standard approach to the hand and attempt a 'squeeze' here. I mean while you might be representing much more than a lowly pocket pair of fives in this example, you do actually think you have the best hand.

Obviously it can be a complete bluff too. In the above example you might feel one of the players has 66-99 in their range and squeeze with the 5's if you feel you have fold equity.
  • edited August 2016
    squeeze/ isolating players.

2 players limp (probably loose passive)
    we raise there limps with K8os
    1 of the limpers fold
    flop comes XXX they check we can cbet half pot and take it down profitably as they will be playing fit fold.
    as they play fit fold it doesnt take a big cbet to get them to fold even 1/3rd pot
    (if we bet half pot it has to work about 33% of the time to be a instant profitable play / if we know opponent is playing fit fold and is a weak player he will miss the board about 70% of the time so we cbet even if we miss vs this opponent as it is profitable)

Now you probably ask why K8os.............
    We want to select hands what have blockers to good equity hands
    Such as Ak KQ Kj K10.

What we need to realize if this is going to be successful is the people in the blind.........
    We need nits that overfold there blinds and dont defend wide enough (another exploit but thats another story).

We already have our target = limpers = weak so exploit them as much as possible.
    as they like to see flops with very marginal hands.........
    if they hit a piece they arnt folding.

so if we hit the board we will get paid by value betting big on 2 if not 3 streets.
    If we face aggression vs these passive players we fold.

Doing the above if you aint already will increase your bb/100 winrate. = cash games

doing it in MTTs without antes is somewhat pointless as shallower stacks + no insentive to play weak holdings as the antes are not chipping away at your stack every hand.

Hope this explains everything above
    Natalie
  • edited September 2016

Squeeze play comes into effect when ones chicken phall has no impact.