You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Joys of PLO8

edited August 2016 in Poker Chat

Some of you have already discovered the joys of Omaha Hi Lo on Sky Poker and the merry band of reprobates that play a game where you get dealt 4 cards and try and win 2 pots. Surely by simple maths this is 4 times as much fun as holdem!

In holdem there are 169 starting hands, in Omaha there are 16,432!! (Overuse of exclamation mark for Tikay's benefit)

In Omaha Hi Lo the Holy Grail of starting hands is AA23 with two suits, it ranks 1st out of 16,432 starting hands. This is a starting hand to die for, or at the very least to have a sharp intake of breath when you see it. After all you have a pair of aces, two nut flush draws, the nut low draw and the second nut low draw, what's not to like? Surely a dead cert winner, you would put your house on it wouldn't you? And the car and the wife.

Compare that to the hand ranked 14,112th (I looked that up too), 5h6d7s9h. It has an awful low draw, only one suit (which my Ah3h had absolutely crushed by the way) and the highest card was a 9. I'm sure Tikay once said never play a hand with a 9 in it.

So we go to war, David against Goliath, some peasant called Sparticus against the Garrisons of Rome, the mighty Russian army against some Afganistan sheep herders. It's a foregone conclusion surely? 

See below for the result, I'll be back playing soon..... honestly.  

Player
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Enut Small blind   300.00 300.00 1955.00
tikay1 Big blind   600.00 900.00 2095.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

vagasbin Fold     
xxxx                              Raise   1200.00 2100.00 375.00
Enut All-in   1955.00 4055.00 0.00
tikay1 Fold     
xxxx           All-in   375.00 4430.00 0.00
Enut Unmatched bet   680.00 3750.00 680.00
Enut Show
  • A
  • A

xxxx           Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

xxxx           Win high Straight to the 10 3750.00   3750.00
  No qualifying low hand    

Comments

• edited August 2016
    That's why  we love poker especially plo8 (hope it wasn't me lol )

• edited August 2016
    That wasn't one of my efforts from last night was it? :D

If so I would like to emphasise the importance of having the BTN and being in position!!!!! (some more !'s for Tikay I know how he loves them).

If it wasn't me then very unlucky mate, opponent is obviously a complete donk :)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to The Joys of PLO8:
    In Omaha Hi Lo the Holy Grail of starting hands is AA23 with two suits, it ranks 1st out of 16,432 starting hands. This is a starting hand to die for, or at the very least to have a sharp intake of breath when you see it. After all you have a pair of aces, two nut flush draws, the nut low draw and the second nut low draw, what's not to like? Surely a dead cert winner, 
    Posted by Enut

Hi Tuney,
    Think you'll find in the hand posted you are really only circa 70/30? 

UL tho and I'd prob need a new cat.  ;-) 
  • edited August 2016
    9's are the new Aces.

• edited August 2016
    That has to go down as the most eloquent BBV post I have ever read.

PS You were 52% to scoop, 61% for a high, 42% for a low. Overall equity 68%

Oppo was 16% to scoop, 39% for a high, 12% for a low. Overall equity 32%.

• edited August 2016
    Yes I know I was only about 70/30, that was partly the point of the post in that, unlike holdem, you are rarely that far in front! PLO8 can be much more about playing poker rather than waiting for cards.

Yes Mark it was you. I think you had knocked me out of one shortly before that too, hitting a 3 outer or some such twaddle on the river. Have you no guilt or compassion? How do you sleep at night?

Anyway enough of this, anyone for a PLO8 DYM?
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8:
    Yes I know I was only about 70/30, that was partly the point of the post in that, unlike holdem, you are rarely that far in front! PLO8 can be much more about playing poker rather than waiting for cards. Yes Mark it was you. I think you had knocked me out of one shortly before that too, hitting a 3 outer or some such twaddle on the river. Have you no guilt or compassion? How do you sleep at night? Anyway enough of this, anyone for a PLO8 DYM?
    Posted by Enut
    Haha no, generally sleep like a baby. It all evens out im told? :-p

Regged for the games.

Edit: I see we have a revenge game on, glgl :)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Haha no, generally sleep like a baby. It all evens out im told? :-p Regged for the games. Edit: I see we have a revenge game on, glgl :)
    Posted by markycash
    I was expecting an epic Ali v Foreman esc battle, but you seemed to leave early. Maybe next time.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : I was expecting an epic Ali v Foreman esc battle, but you seemed to leave early. Maybe next time.
    Posted by Enut
    Rubz

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : I was expecting an epic Ali v Foreman esc battle, but you seemed to leave early. Maybe next time.
    Posted by Enut
    Yes didn't go quite to plan that one. I see you built a nice stack though but missed the conclusion, hope it ended favourably :)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Yes didn't go quite to plan that one. I see you built a nice stack though but missed the conclusion, hope it ended favourably :)
    Posted by markycash

You must know by now I am a total station.......your notes should read DO NOT BLUFF ;-)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Yes didn't go quite to plan that one. I see you built a nice stack though but missed the conclusion, hope it ended favourably :)
    Posted by markycash

Yes, I think I did win that one, the games seem easier if you bust early, if you could consider doing that more often I would be most grateful.
  • edited August 2016
    I played PLO8 for the very first time last Wednesday on the Freeroll
    game. I registered and didn't realise it was not Holdem.  Imagine my surprise
    when I received 4 cards.  After a couple of minutes I realised I was in a game I knew
    nothing about but I remembered somewhere seeing on the sky poker
    channel that you have to use 2 best cards from your hand. So off I started
    and about half way through the first hour I was doing okay.   Anyway it was quite enjoyable although I found I had to actually think a lot more which was a bit difficult
    for me lol.  Imagine my surprise then to finish 2nd.  Im sure it was more by luck than judgement but I really enjoyed playing so I might venture into some more PLO8
    in the future and see how I get on.

• edited August 2016
    I played PLO8 for the very first time last Wednesday on the Freeroll game. I registered and didn't realise it was not Holdem.  Imagine my surprise when I received 4 cards.  After a couple of minutes I realised I was in a game I knew nothing about but I remembered somewhere seeing on the sky poker channel that you have to use 2 best cards from your hand. So off I started and about half way through the first hour I was doing okay.   Anyway it was quite enjoyable although I found I had to actually think a lot more which was a bit difficult for me lol.  Imagine my surprise then to finish 2nd .  Im sure it was more by luck than judgement but I really enjoyed playing so I might venture into some more PLO8 in the future and see how I get on.
    Posted by Nannypat66
    Many congrats Pat - & you know I mean that.

But here's the thing........

I'm pretty sure that Freeroll was PLO, not PLO8.

I'd like a quid for every time I've sat in a PLO game thinking it was PLO8, & vice-versa. I played a PLO Tourney once on 'Stars for 2 hours before I realised it was not PLO8, & so I was on the receiving end of so many chat box comments that were, err, less than complimentary.

So PLEASE be careful if you plan to play any more PLO8. Or PLO.......

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Many congrats Pat - & you know I mean that.   But here's the thing........ I'm pretty sure that Freeroll was PLO, not PLO8. I'd like a quid for every time I've sat in a PLO game thinking it was PLO8, & vice-versa. I played a PLO Tourney once on 'Stars for 2 hours before I realised it was not PLO8, & so I was on the receiving end of so many chat box comments that were, err, less than complimentary. So PLEASE be careful if you plan to play any more PLO8. Or PLO.......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Done this for protracted periods myself until I wonder why the... I didn't get a split. Weird thing is I have often done okay during these lapses even though I have been playing entirely the wrong game.

Congrats on the score Nanny!
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Done this for protracted periods myself until I wonder why the... I didn't get a split. Weird thing is I have often done okay during these lapses even though I have been playing entirely the wrong game. Congrats on the score Nanny!
    Posted by markycash
    I sat in what was (I thought) a Big O cash game in Vegas, but which was actually PLO. I played the first hand as if it were O8, won a $700 pot, then immediately told the table I thought it was O8 or Big O, & promptly got up & moved to my correct table.

All the players said "no worries, good luck M8". See "say what you mean"..... 

• edited August 2016
    What is the best strategy for playing a flopped two pair as so often happens in hi lo.I think the high pair is easier to play than say 98 or 65.
    Obviously suits matter. Theres a good chance youre going to end up with no hi or lo if getting to the river.
  • edited August 2016
    What is the best strategy for playing a flopped two pair as so often happens in hi lo.I think the high pair is easier to play than say 98 or 65. Obviously suits matter. Theres a good chance youre going to end up with no hi or lo if getting to the river.
    Posted by chilling
    Depends on so many variables, chiefly, how many others in the pot, & what flop texture (high only, low only, etc).

On a low only flop, multi-way, I pretty much throw 2 pair away. At BEST we are pulling for half the pot, & if wheel cards are being held everywhere, we can end up with zilch.

I prefer a low-variance line in SNG's & DYM's, too, but the more "lively" sorts might well go with 2 pair.

It's much clearer in PLO, however, but if we are multi-way - & we usually are - I much prefer top two, rather than bottom two, or top & bottom.    

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : I sat in what was (I thought) a Big O cash game in Vegas, but which was actually PLO. I played the first hand as if it were O8, won a $700 pot, then immediately told the table I thought it was O8 or Big O, & promptly got up & moved to my correct table. All the players said "no worries, good luck M8". See "say what you mean".....     
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol, quality :D
  • edited August 2016
    Okay its official I am Confused.com lol. 
    I thought they were all called PLO8 but I think you are right it was
    P.L.O.  You got to laugh. I thought they were the same game.
    Oh well  maybe its time to look at some videos.   

Good luck whatever you play

Nannypat66

• edited August 2016
    Okay its official I am Confused.com lol.   I thought they were all called PLO8 but I think you are right it was P.L.O.  You got to laugh. I thought they were the same game. Oh well  maybe its time to look at some videos.    Good luck whatever you play Nannypat66  
    Posted by Nannypat66

Just goes to show what an easy game PLO is! You didn't even know what you wre playing and you came 2nd. Congratulations you're a natural. Now make the transition to PLO8 and you will surely crush.

• edited August 2016
    Okay its official I am Confused.com lol.   I thought they were all called PLO8 but I think you are right it was P.L.O.  You got to laugh. I thought they were the same game. Oh well  maybe its time to look at some videos.    Good luck whatever you play Nannypat66  
    Posted by Nannypat66
    The '8' refers to 'eights or better' which is the low pot. In PLO players play for 1 pot with plain holdem hand rankings where you use 2 hole crads and 3 board cards to make your best hand. In PLO(8) there are 2 pots. One is a 'HI' pot as above and the other pot is for the best 'LO' hand. A low hand is 2 hole cards and 3 board cards of 8 or under (aces can count as hi or low). The cards for the low pot have to be unpaired with the lowest hand being the best. The best low hand would be a2345, 2nd best a2346 and so on. If no player has a qualifying low hand then the high hand takes it all.

You can use different combination of your hole and board cards for each pot.
  • edited August 2016

^^^

...and just to clarify (confuse further?) in the LOW pot, pairs, two pairs, ets, sets, full houses etc do NOT play.
  • edited August 2016
    OMG I really would have to concentrate. :)
    Videos here I come lol.

• edited August 2016
    Brilliant variant that's rejuvenated my enjoyment of poker and IMO, a lot easier to be profitable from than NLH.
  • edited August 2016
    Brilliant variant that's rejuvenated my enjoyment of poker and IMO, a lot easier to be profitable from than NLH.
    Posted by nickkay
    Enjoyed sharing a few tables with you last night, & you seemed to do pretty well from what I could see.

Thought you were a tad unlucky in the £11er, but that was some tough table, most of whom are experienced & profitable at PLO8.

I do bang on a bit, maybe too much, about how much more fun it is to play PLO & PLO8, but it's really noticeable how many players say what you just said - it re-ignites their love for poker.  And yes, it is MUCH easier to be profitable (or lose less) than NLH, where there are so few "value spots" these days.

If you have any questions on the 4 card game, don't hesitate to ask, & I'll try & answer, or get some who actually knows how to play the game to reply. ;) 

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Enjoyed sharing a few tables with you last night, & you seemed to do pretty well from what I could see. Thought you were a tad unlucky in the £11er, but that was some tough table, most of whom are experienced & profitable at PLO8. I do bang on a bit, maybe too much, about how much more fun it is to play PLO & PLO8, but it's really noticeable how many players say what you just said - it re-ignites their love for poker.  And yes, it is MUCH easier to be profitable (or lose less) than NLH, where there are so few "value spots" these days. If you have any questions on the 4 card game, don't hesitate to ask, & I'll try & answer, or get some who actually knows how to play the game to reply. ;)    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers Tikay, the PLO8 crowd seem very sociable and as for that £11 game, I was too busy concentrating on the deep run in a PLO8 tournament, so my own fault.

See you at the tables.
  • edited August 2016
    Would appreciate comments on my play and villains in this one. I guess I should just fold pre right?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    HENDRIK62 Small blind   100.00 100.00 950.00
    tikay1 Big blind   200.00 300.00 1840.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A
    • A

amen530 Fold     
      xxx          Raise   400.00 700.00 1520.00
    Enut Raise   1500.00 2200.00 860.00
    HENDRIK62 Fold     
    tikay1 Fold     
      xxx           All-in   1520.00 3720.00 0.00
    Enut Call   420.00 4140.00 440.00
      xxx           Show

Enut Show
    • Q
    • A
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

• K

xxx           Win high Straight to the 6 2070.00   2070.00
               xxx          Win low 6-low 2070.00   4140.00
  • edited August 2016

^^^^

Ha, I saw that hand. His play is not as bad as it may look at first sight, though I'm not sure I can ever make that play. He KNEW you had some sort of Ace, & that was part of his logic. If he knew your actual hand, I fancy he'd still get it in pre.  

You did nothing wrong really. Blinds are 100-200, & once you 3 bet it played itself. You don't really have the option of limping in to se a "safe" flop at that point.

From the villain's perspective - who, by the way is VERY good, (had a 6 game clean sweep last night, all at £11 & £16.50) - I guess his logic was that he is never THAT far behind in PLO8.

Bet you'd be surprised to know the pre-flop odds were almost a flip.

You had 55% equity, he had 45% equity. Pretty much a flip.

You were 37% to scoop, he was 27% to scoop. 

You win the high 64% of the time, he wins the high 36% of the time.

You get the Low 12% of the time, he gets it 42%.  

Hands in PLO8 run very close together, as you can see, but if you could re-run that coup 10,000 times, you'd be comfortably ahead.  Looking at single hands in isolation is meaningless really, the long term maths is more important.

• edited August 2016
    Thanks for your reply Tikay, I think I need to adjust my thinking a little in PLO8.

In villian's position I guess I wouldn't have opened initially and then when three bet would have thought 'OK I have no high and the fact that he 3 bet means he probably has a better low too (I didn't but God knows how he knew that) and it's for my STT life', so I fold, leaving myself 1520 behind and 200 BB the next hand, still enough IMO. I'm too tight obv and maybe need to adjust my play in line with the fact that you're never too far behind your opponent.

Edit: just seen who was in the BB, I presume he was blind stealing!