You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Joys of PLO8

2»

Comments

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8:
    Thanks for your reply Tikay, I think I need to adjust my thinking a little in PLO8. In villian's position I guess I wouldn't have opened initially and then when three bet would have thought 'OK I have no high and the fact that he 3 bet means he probably has a better low too (I didn't but God knows how he knew that) and it's for my STT life', so I fold, leaving myself 1520 behind and 200 BB the next hand, still enough IMO. I'm too tight obv and maybe need to adjust my play in line with the fact that you're never too far behind your opponent. Edit: just seen who was in the BB, I presume he was blind stealing!
    Posted by Enut
    Well yes, that's the way you & I think. The guy is very very good though, & his results prove that, so it behoves us to take a look at our own game. It really does look a bit like a "punt" though. What we know is that he is good enough to KNOW he was GUARANTEED to be behind there. But not much....

Course, if it comes all high, he looks rather silly in hindsight & you can sit atop a game winning stack, & we'd not be discussing the play.

Interesting, isn't it?
  • edited August 2016
    Not sure if it was me this time? :) I know I have ran quite lucky against you recently.

I know I had a very similar hand against you last night and bust your aces with a 2-6 straight but I think in that one you opened on my BB, I flat called, you cbet the flop and I shoved and possibly hit the 2-6 on the turn. This doesn't look on the surface like one of my efforts.

My memory may be clouded and this may have been me, either way...

I don't like the play all that much to be honest.

Firstly from your perspective. I don't think you put a foot wrong. While you are not short, you soon will be if you were to fold hands of this strength. For all you know you have fold equity and there is plenty change in the middle to pick up. I think you have to make it very clear by your bet sizing you are committed which you have done by potting it. IMO you have played it text book and to be critical of your play is to move too much towards being results orientated. It is just one of those things that you haven't held up on this individual occasion.

From opponents perspective. Again I am not certain if this is me or not but I am willing to remain entirely objective with the analysis either way. If you/anyone is ever posting a hand involving me please feel free to leave my name in. It won't cloud my judgement of the hand and I am happy enough to have my play flamed or praised, good or bad I have no problem with this :)

While there is a place for mini-raising and it is not terrible to mini-raise here I don't think it is the best amount to open here. We really don't want to be raise/folding much pre-flop here due to the odds we are creating because as Tikay said it is likely we wont have the worst odds in the world to just 'go with it'. The mini-raise to 400 is almost inviting a 3bet and as mentioned above we do not want to be raising 25% of our stack and folding pre-flop here very often so I think this has to be made clear by the opening bet size which should be 600 or 700 IMO. When the open is to 600-700 we can IMO more comfortably call the 3bet and play for stacks as we have created better odds to continue with the hand.

With a 1920 stack there is a case at least for just folding pre-flop. If the opener has reasoning behind the open then I think it is also fine to open raise but the opening bet size should be a little higher IMO.

So as played if this was indeed me, which I am really unsure whether it was, then I must have been struggling to keep up with play and got the opening bet size wrong IMO and this was skating very close to the margins.

• edited August 2016
    Thanks for your reply Tikay, I think I need to adjust my thinking a little in PLO8. In villian's position I guess I wouldn't have opened initially and then when three bet would have thought 'OK I have no high and the fact that he 3 bet means he probably has a better low too (I didn't but God knows how he knew that) and it's for my STT life', so I fold, leaving myself 1520 behind and 200 BB the next hand, still enough IMO. I'm too tight obv and maybe need to adjust my play in line with the fact that you're never too far behind your opponent. Edit: just seen who was in the BB, I presume he was blind stealing!
    Posted by Enut
    I think the pot 3bet suggests AA. I don't think you have to give credit for a major accompanying low. Granted opponent may have the low too but I don't think this has to be assumed.

With Tikay in the BB here and these stack sizes I think the mini-open creates a perfect 3betting opportunity at least on the surface. Tikay is such a highly proficient OH8 player who will quickly adjust his ranges versus opponents who get out of line. I would be expecting quite a wide 3bet range here with a mini-open preflop on his BB so again if this was me then I got the opening bet size wrong.
  • edited August 2016

^^^^

Hi Mark - happy to confirm it was NOT you.

I am struggling a bit to see the merits of the play, too, but to be fair, Villain is very competent, & has a very good win rate over a decent sample size. 

Anyway, as you said, the main thing Paul can take on board is that he did nothing wrong. He can't control what others do, all he can do is play his hands optimally, & the maths will take care of the rest.  

• edited August 2016

CORRECTION

Just realised, seeing Marky's post, that Paul min-raised pre.

Think that was a mistake, & may have been what caused the whole problem.

I know some folks min-raise big hands in this spot to "induce", but with ranges running so close in O8, I'm not sure I like that.

Aces at 100-200, I'm making it 600 or 700 every time, happy to pick up the money in the middle. I mean, do we REALLY want a caller in O8? In NLH, yes, in O8 taking it down pre is often better.

• edited August 2016
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your post and rest assured it wasn't you. Although I do remember the other hand I played against you when you bust my AAxx.....again (have you no remorse?) That was a very different hand and I was quite happy with how both of us played it. I had a pot sized stack left when you called my pre flop raise with a good hand and it just so happened that the flop fit your hand exactly to give you the nut nut draw (I think) anyway you obv called in an instance and got there on the turn for both, no messing around! 

I appreciate your comments, especially as they duplicate my thinking exactly! It's always good to have the same thinking as a really good player in a hand.

• edited August 2016
    Not sure if it was me this time? :) I know I have ran quite lucky against you recently. I know I had a very similar hand against you last night and bust your aces with a 2-6 straight but I think in that one you opened on my BB, I flat called, you cbet the flop and I shoved and possibly hit the 2-6 on the turn. This doesn't look on the surface like one of my efforts. My memory may be clouded and this may have been me, either way... I don't like the play all that much to be honest. Firstly from your perspective. I don't think you put a foot wrong. While you are not short, you soon will be if you were to fold hands of this strength. For all you know you have fold equity and there is plenty change in the middle to pick up. I think you have to make it very clear by your bet sizing you are committed which you have done by potting it. IMO you have played it text book and to be critical of your play is to move too much towards being results orientated. It is just one of those things that you haven't held up on this individual occasion. From opponents perspective. Again I am not certain if this is me or not but I am willing to remain entirely objective with the analysis either way. If you/anyone is ever posting a hand involving me please feel free to leave my name in. It won't cloud my judgement of the hand and I am happy enough to have my play flamed or praised, good or bad I have no problem with this :) While there is a place for mini-raising and it is not terrible to mini-raise here I don't think it is the best amount to open here. We really don't want to be raise/folding much pre-flop here due to the odds we are creating because as Tikay said it is likely we wont have the worst odds in the world to just 'go with it'. The mini-raise to 400 is almost inviting a 3bet and as mentioned above we do not want to be raising 25% of our stack and folding pre-flop here very often so I think this has to be made clear by the opening bet size which should be 600 or 700 IMO. When the open is to 600-700 we can IMO more comfortably call the 3bet and play for stacks as we have created better odds to continue with the hand. With a 1920 stack there is a case at least for just folding pre-flop. If the opener has reasoning behind the open then I think it is also fine to open raise but the opening bet size should be a little higher IMO. So as played if this was indeed me, which I am really unsure whether it was, then I must have been struggling to keep up with play and got the opening bet size wrong IMO and this was skating very close to the margins.
    Posted by markycash
    It wasn't you Marky, I was on the table, I like his initial play, but don't love his call down. I agree with TKs analysis of his likely thinking (would actually be cool if he came and clarified) and I guess he feels he has invested some in the pot already. I think I fold more often than call down, but as with many things, it depends ;-)
  • edited August 2016
    CORRECTION Just realised, seeing Marky's post, that Paul min-raised pre.   Think that was a mistake, & may have been what caused the whole problem. I know some folks min-raise big hands in this spot to "induce", but with ranges running so close in O8, I'm not sure I like that.   Aces at 100-200, I'm making it 600 or 700 every time, happy to pick up the money in the middle. I mean, do we REALLY want a caller in O8? In NLH, yes, in O8 taking it down pre is often better.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think it was xxx who mini-opened, not the AA7Q hand?
  • edited August 2016
    CORRECTION Just realised, seeing Marky's post, that Paul min-raised pre.   Think that was a mistake, & may have been what caused the whole problem. I know some folks min-raise big hands in this spot to "induce", but with ranges running so close in O8, I'm not sure I like that.   Aces at 100-200, I'm making it 600 or 700 every time, happy to pick up the money in the middle. I mean, do we REALLY want a caller in O8? In NLH, yes, in O8 taking it down pre is often better.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Eh? I didn't min raise pre, villain did. I potted his min raise.
  • edited August 2016
    Posted by Enut

lol, I was trying to skirt round that in my reply :-)))
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : I think it was xxx who mini-opened.
    Posted by markycash
    Ugh, kill me now.

I UNCORRECT my INCORRECT CORRECTION.

Given that xxx made the min-raise, it makes it all the more odd.

Incidentally, the Villain here has that min-raise as his standard MO - he does it almost every hand, but generally folds to pre-flop pressure. He's a relentless min-raise opener, & a perfect pain to have sat either side. I 3 bet him several times last night & he quickly let go, but I went to the well once too often & on that occasion he had the world.  
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : lol, I was trying to skirt round that in my reply :-)))
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Ha, they do love my Blinds.  

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : It wasn't you Marky, I was on the table, I like his initial play, but don't love his call down. I agree with TKs analysis of his likely thinking (would actually be cool if he came and clarified) and I guess he feels he has invested some in the pot already. I think I fold more often than call down, but as with many things, it depends ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Glad to hear from you all that this wasn't me :)

I think the problem is that if the opener intends to call a 3bet and get stacks in then the opener is creating an at best flip situation and almost inviting action. P.S. If the opener intends to fold to a pot 3 bet then the mini-raise open makes much more sense. I just personally struggle to open raise/fold such a high percentage of my stack.
  • edited August 2016
    Certainly a hand that makes for interesting discussion.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Ugh, kill me now. I UNCORRECT my INCORRECT CORRECTION. Given that xxx made the min-raise, it makes it all the more odd. Incidentally, the Villain here has that min-raise as his standard MO - he does it almost every hand, but generally folds to pre-flop pressure. He's a relentless min-raise opener, & a perfect pain to have sat either side. I 3 bet him several times last night & he quickly let go, but I went to the well once too often & on that occasion he had the world.  
    Posted by Tikay10

This is the reason I like the play, if he balances the raise and has the discipline to fold, he can take a lot of blinds and if he has it can then can repot to any defending.
    I have seen this move a lot lately, and it is difficult to play against.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : Ugh, kill me now. I UNCORRECT my INCORRECT CORRECTION. Given that xxx made the min-raise, it makes it all the more odd. Incidentally, the Villain here has that min-raise as his standard MO - he does it almost every hand, but generally folds to pre-flop pressure. He's a relentless min-raise opener, & a perfect pain to have sat either side. I 3 bet him several times last night & he quickly let go, but I went to the well once too often & on that occasion he had the world.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't think there is too much value in worrying about the villain's play, unless we are trying to learn something from it.  We can only press our own buttons.  

The important part about the villain's play is the bit Tikay calls out above.  This means when we decide we want to go to war we believe there is fold equity.  Marky questioned the villain 'creating a flip situation', but if we turn that around, if we go to war thinking we have no fold equity then we're the ones creating the flip!  Our hand is terrible for the low, and other than being double suited we're not that great on the high side versus a value range.

I think it can be a mistake to consider that low cards have no high-hand value, he is suited once and has decent options for making straights (plus 4 different cards are way better at making 2 pair than if you have 2 of the same).  He's only in real bad shape if you have a 2 or a 3 with your aces, and so maybe we have to look at whether we do want to go for it here without them.  This pairing of hands is a good illustration of why you're never too far ahead or behind in PLO8, there is a case to be made here for flatting or folding if we think the money is always going in at this (relatively) early stage of the DYM.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: The Joys of PLO8 : I don't think there is too much value in worrying about the villain's play, unless we are trying to learn something from it.  We can only press our own buttons.   The important part about the villain's play is the bit Tikay calls out above.  This means when we decide we want to go to war we believe there is fold equity.  Marky questioned the villain 'creating a flip situation', but if we turn that around, if we go to war thinking we have no fold equity then we're the ones creating the flip!  Our hand is terrible for the low, and other than being double suited we're not that great on the high side versus a value range. I think it can be a mistake to consider that low cards have no high-hand value, he is suited once and has decent options for making straights (plus 4 different cards are way better at making 2 pair than if you have 2 of the same).  He's only in real bad shape if you have a 2 or a 3 with your aces, and so maybe we have to look at whether we do want to go for it here without them.  This pairing of hands is a good illustration of why you're never too far ahead or behind in PLO8, there is a case to be made here for flatting or folding if we think the money is always going in at this (relatively) early stage of the DYM.
    Posted by bbMike
    I would be looking to avoid the flip whatever players cards I had here. I think Enut has to think he has 'some' fold equity when he pots it. I would do the same with AA7Qds here, precisely to at least have the option of applying maximum pressure to get the preflop fold and the chips in the middle, but if he calls then so be it.

If I had the 23xx hand I would be opening for more preflop to avoid 'going to war'. I think the miniraise just invites a 3bet or a flat call and encourages added post flop play where we may end up having to play for stacks more often. The bigger raise preflop would be to take the chips uncontested. Obviously the 'drawback' of the bigger raise is that we really kind of have to call a 3bet shove due to the odds but I would be surprised if the 600-700 opening raise wasn't generally a more +ev play than the miniraise open due to the higher rate of preflop folds we will get.

I would agree though, I think I am folding this exact spot preflop most of the time with the given table dynamics.

P.S. I know it isn't actually a flip so to speak, just generalising.
  • edited August 2016
    Like I say I think it's better to focus on whether we think we should raise call or fold.

What hands are we happy for the opponent to call with that they open from that position? How often do they fold? Is there enough room post flop for us to call and play?

I think if we pot this it's as a kind of semi bluff and we can't be too despondent if we end up with a small slice or none of the pot at all.
  • edited August 2016
    "Like I say I think it's better to focus on whether we think we should raise call or fold."

Personally I think it is good to consider what we would do from all perspectives. The more angles we consider a hand from the more we can learn IMO. I certainly can't see any way it would be harmful to put ourselves in either players shoes and consider the play.

"What hands are we happy for the opponent to call with that they open from that position?

I think the objective is to apply maximum pressure to get the preflop fold and the 700 chips in the middle into our stack. Irrespective of what position they open from the fact we have two aces in our hand makes it unlikey (still possible obviously) that our opponent has two aces. Thus we do dominate a lot of possible calling ranges and in the eventuality we are called we know we cannot be in too bad shape. Even if opponent has the other two aces it is not a disaster, he may not have low cards at all and even if he does we have 2 nut flush draws. So while we may not want to be called we have to IMO apply maximum pressure to get the 700 chips from the middle, safe in the knowledge that if we go to war we are reasonably well armed.

How often do they fold?

Depends on the player. Tikay mentioned this player has folded to pressure preflop in the form of 3 bets which only strengthens the case for potting it. While I personally do not like raising roughly a quarter of my stack and folding preflop (hence I would not mini-open here), plenty players do. I think we have to assume we have some sort of fold equity here until the opponent or information available shows otherwise.

"Is there enough room post flop for us to call and play?"

I would say playing AA7Q postflop, by flat calling, to a level where we get reasonable value is extremely difficult and would require, in general, some very crisp reads postflop (unless we are only playing to hit boats and flushes) which IMO would risk being spewy.

"I think if we pot this it's as a kind of semi bluff and we can't be too despondent if we end up with a small slice or none of the pot at all."

I really don't see how it is any kind of bluff. IMO we are stating or at least representing exactly what we have, some sort of AA hand. Almost to the point we are playing our hand face up.
  • edited August 2016
    I fear I'm struggling to get my point across here, I think we may be in danger of repeating large chunks.

The more angles we consider a hand from the more we can learn IMO. 
    Yes, I agree, that's what I said - "unless we are trying to learn from it".  A lot of the time (maybe, maybe not in this case) when a player says what do we think of the villain's play they're looking for justification that the villain has played it badly and they didn't deserve the result. As I'm sure you know, when we either put ourselves in the shoes of the hero orvillain, we have to do so independently against the ranges. So is the hand the villain has one that we like to min raise fold, or min raise call, or raise more hate it and call off anyway.  Consensus on this one seems to be a pre-flop fold would be better in that spot.

the fact we have two aces in our hand makes it unlikey (still possible obviously) that our opponent has two aces. Thus we do dominate a lot of possible calling ranges
    I disagree here, I don't think we dominate much. We dominate flushes of the same suit, and hands that have no low but contain at least one ace.  We're in bad shape against more 2 card low combinations so as a whole we can't say we have a dominating hand. IMO.

So while we may not want to be called we have to IMO apply maximum pressure to get the 700 chips from the middle
    Yes, I agree, that's what makes it a semi-bluff in my opinion.

Tikay mentioned this player has folded to pressure preflop in the form of 3 bets which only strengthens the case for potting it. 
    Yes, I mentioned this.

I would say playing AA7Q postflop, by flat calling, to a level where we get reasonable value is extremely difficult and would require, in general, some very crisp reads postflop 
    I agree, in general.

I really don't see how it is any kind of bluff. 
    Covered above

IMO we are stating or at least representing exactly what we have, some sort of AA hand. Almost to the point we are playing our hand face up.
    Yeah, except when the cards are turned I think we're at the lower end of our range with this exact holding.

I think a (good) case can be made for potting pre, but we can't make a case for feeling hard done by by the result if we do end up going to showdown.
  • edited August 2016
    There seems to be consensus on many points the only ones my opinion differs are...

"So while we may not want to be called we have to IMO apply maximum pressure to get the 700 chips from the middle
    Yes, I agree, that's what makes it a semi-bluff in my opinion."

I know what you are getting at but for me a bluff is representing something which you do not have. In this case I think we are representing exactly what we have.

"the fact we have two aces in our hand makes it unlikey (still possible obviously) that our opponent has two aces. Thus we do dominate a lot of possible calling ranges
    I disagree here, I don't think we dominate much. We dominate flushes of the same suit, and hands that have no low but contain at least one ace.  We're in bad shape against more 2 card low combinations so as a whole we can't say we have a dominating hand. IMO."

I feel there are plenty hands we dominate and don't think we are 'bad shape' against 2 card low combos. Might not be ideally what we want to see but not a disaster. If AA7Q is towards the "bottom of our percieved range here" I think 23xx has to be so near the bottom of our opponents range that we have to assume they have some sort of one ace hand (which we dominate at least to an extent by having two of the aces in out hand).
  • edited August 2016
    Hi Mike

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

Just to clarify I didn't play it as a semi bluff, I thought I was ahead (for reasons already given) and when villain turned up with the hand he did I was genuinely surprised that a player as good as him had called me with his hand, given his relative chip stack, thus showing my shortcomings I suppose.

I genuinely believed I 'dominated' most other hands here (obviously using 'dominated' loosely as we are rarely that far ahead on PLO8). No I didn't have a good low, but I did have a damn good high holding and was repping a strong low too, so maybe I was bluffing that part, though not intentionally! So you're right about it being the lower part of my range for making that reraise, it was.

I know I virtually turned my hand face up but, other than folding, I don't think I could play it any other way. Interestingly no one has yet said that I should fold pre. I did consider that.

Thanks again for your comments.

• edited August 2016
    Hi

Villain in the hand is me.  In future feel free to leave my name in there if I'm in the hand posted.  If I'm made aware I have no problem commenting.

I am by no means an expert at PLO8 though

Regarding the hand:

Min raise - I min bet a wide range and this hand is certainly in the mid/lower part of my range.  Regardless, I like the open and the sizing

The call/reraise - maybe a fold in retrospect but I just didn't feel it was a spot where I was going to be crushed in terms of equity.  I probably prefer a fold (there are going to better situations for me to commit such a large % of my stack) but there are merits in calling imo.  Firstly, I'm confident that I cash everytime i win the pot.  Secondly, the player pool is tiny.  I want people to know that they can't abuse my openings and that the 700 in the middle is not easy pickings. I still have decent equity to win the pot.

I disagree with a lot of the posts above.  I think AAQ7 is a fold pre.  I think you end up with one pair/no low very often, you aren't closing the action (Tikay could wake up with A234 etc) and I don't fold enough for you to have the fold equity you need(I fold far less than Tikay kindly suggested and am a massive calling station).  Even against one of my weaker holdings it's close to being a flip and considering it's for your tournament life I would wait for a better situation in an unopened pot. 

An interesting hand though and thanks for posting it up
  • edited August 2016
    Good to hear your thoughts on the hand.

I personally feel if the intention is to call a pot 3bet then a higher opening size helps improve our chances of taking it down pre and gives better odds to call if we are pot 3bet. I can understand the argument for the opening size if the intention is to fold to a pot 3bet.

We all have our own styles and opinions on hands though which just makes the game all the more interesting :-)
  • edited August 2016
    Hi Villain in the hand is me.  In future feel free to leave my name in there if I'm in the hand posted.  If I'm made aware I have no problem commenting. I am by no means an expert at PLO8 though Regarding the hand: Min raise - I min bet a wide range and this hand is certainly in the mid/lower part of my range.  Regardless, I like the open and the sizing The call/reraise - maybe a fold in retrospect but I just didn't feel it was a spot where I was going to be crushed in terms of equity.  I probably prefer a fold (there are going to better situations for me to commit such a large % of my stack) but there are merits in calling imo.  Firstly, I'm confident that I cash everytime i win the pot.  Secondly, the player pool is tiny.  I want people to know that they can't abuse my openings and that the 700 in the middle is not easy pickings. I still have decent equity to win the pot. I disagree with a lot of the posts above.  I think AAQ7 is a fold pre.  I think you end up with one pair/no low very often, you aren't closing the action (Tikay could wake up with A234 etc) and I don't fold enough for you to have the fold equity you need(I fold far less than Tikay kindly suggested and am a massive calling station).  Even against one of my weaker holdings it's close to being a flip and considering it's for your tournament life I would wait for a better situation in an unopened pot.  An interesting hand though and thanks for posting it up
    Posted by huuuuume

Thanks for commenting huuuuuuume (sorry I don't know your real name).

I had noticed that you min raised as standard so wasn't surprised by that, I for one have picked up Tikay's line of potting as standard and I certainly think min raising should play a bigger part of my game than it does. I also appreciate the point about making a statement re getting 3 bet off hands, I think I may have helped that a little here!

I also note your comment that I should fold pre, for me it was a close decision, but interestingly it wasn't for my tournament life, I think I had you coverd by about 400 chips, so it was for yours and that was actually the bit that swayed it for me, I thought you would be unlikely to risk your tournament life in that spot. Losing it did put me on fumes though and I went out next hand I think, leaving the table having been firmly put in my place!