You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ICE TIGER :( R.I.P Funeral Arrangements

Comments

• edited November 2016
    My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • edited November 2016
    HUGE dose of 'Misty Magic'  to help you + your family thru this ICE.

Let's hear the TIGER ROOAAAAAAARRRRR
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks for posting this Darkangel.

My Prayers and thoughts are with Steve & Family at this difficult time.

Keep Fighting Ice Tiger, We are all with You!

X
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: ICE TIGER:
    Strength, Courage, Humility, dignity, Inspirational. I'm not a man of many words in a situation like this but,  there's a few to describe how you've handled yourself over the last twelve months.  Keep fighting Steve  I know you won't give up without one.
    Posted by ajmilton
    +3 aj

Well said Sir
  • edited November 2016

Keep fighting ICE TIGER, were all pulling for you. 
  • edited November 2016
    well said Aj and no problem ellroy. No updates as yet no news is good news so the saying goes but am sure he knows we are all fighting with him. xx
  • edited November 2016
    My thoughts are with you and your family Steve. Hope to see you back here soon. 

• edited November 2016
    Quiet thoughts with you mate - stay strong
  • edited November 2016
    sending possitive thoughts  keep strong
  • edited November 2016
    All the best Steve, and Max is a credit to you and your family,
  • edited November 2016
    my thoughts and prayers are with you
  • edited November 2016
    things like this put other things into prepective, Its a horrible disease and I wish you and your family all the best, run good mate x
  • edited November 2016

best wishes to steve and his family
  • edited November 2016
    A very sad loss to this site. Well played Steve Ball. RIP. Pain free.
  • edited November 2016

Final update on Steve, from his Wife Helen. My thoughts are with the family at this time. R.i.P Steve you legend. WAWAW xxxx

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that we must announce that Steve Ball breathed his last breath at 10.30 this evening surrounded by his close family. He bore his illness with great dignity and bravery and remained resolutely positive throughout. Whilst our sense of loss is extreme we are thankful he is no longer in pain and in a way we hope he is now reunited with his mum who died when he was younger than Max is now. His decline over the last few months and in particular over this last week has at times been heart breaking and unbearable; a level of suffering you would not wish on your worst enemy.

Oesophageal Cancer is a very cruel disease for by the time symptoms manifest it is invariably too late to be fully cured. We would urge anyone having swallowing or stomach problems, please, please, please get it checked out.

Steve was very pragmatic about his illness. He likened it to a poker hand. You can't chose the hand you are dealt and consequently you make the most of it rather than moaning about it.

But over this last year we have been so grateful for the time we have spent with him, making the most of his good days, collecting many special memories that we will have forever; from watching salmon jumping the weir to having tea with The Queen; paddling in the sea at Weston-Super-Mare to battling over penny falls in the Las Vegas amusement arcade in Barmouth; from watching the mighty Owls at Wembley to flying real owls. Who could also forget the many posts by friends and family on Facebook of putting an owl decoration on their Christmas Tree in respect of #TeamBall.

For us we remember our last holiday together in July 2015 to Florida with great fondness. Little did we know at the time that he already had cancer, but it was the happiest of times we spent together.

We were also happy that he managed to see Max complete his #MaxAndTheMac12 Challenges; he saw each one as another milestone to keep going and he was so proud of Max's endeavours raising over £12k for Macmillan.

We are thankful that he had such a wonderful time with Splashy. When he was first diagnosed with terminal cancer he would always ask how we would cope and flippantly we would say we'd buy a dog and call him Splashy after Steve (the announcer at Sheffield Weds was called Stevie Splash, so that's what we called him). It was fate that we went to Hilbrae Rescue Centre on the day we did and found Splashy; he brought him such unconditional love and some of our lasting memories will be of us taking Splashy into hospital and the hospice and him sitting on his bed.

Steve's legacy lives on in all of us and in particular Henri & Max who have inherited many of those characteristics and mannerisms he had (some good and some downright irritating). He saw his two children as his greatest achievement in life for they have both grown up to be wonderful adults with beautiful minds and hearts.

He was never mean spirited or angry or bitter with anyone. He was never materialistic about things or driven by money and saw experiences as being far more important. Before he died he made us listen to Deciderata by Les Crane and Sunscreen by Baz Luhrman and maybe these songs are a lesson for us all in having a more contented and fulfilled life.

He was so proud in what we all achieved and used his often cantankerous ways to motivate us to do more. We will carry on that legacy and live every day as he did, as if it were our last, though we can't guarantee we'll put the toilet roll on the right way, shut doors after we've walked through them or squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom; things he would regularly berate us for.

We would like to thank all those who cared for him over the last 12 months. We are quick to criticise the NHS but they have been fantastic and shown great care and compassion to all of us. We would also like to thank the Severn Hospice for their support; they have been with us throughout. We would like to thank our friends, family and work colleagues for their tremendous support; we have been truly humbled by the goodwill messages we have received; we could never have retained the strength that we have.

We are all truly proud of him and will miss him dearly.

• edited November 2016

very sad to hear.  steve remains my virtual friend.

• edited November 2016
    A true TIGER in every sense of the word has left us today, Steve will be truly missed by all who knew him. My thoughts are with the Ball family at this sad time.

R.I.P Steve
  • edited November 2016
    Very sad news .

Thanks for a lovely epitaph.
  • edited November 2016

The post I was dreading.

In some ways, I'm pleased his suffering has ended, it must have been horrible.

He is at peace now. 

God bless Steve, & rest in peace.

Thoughts go to Helen, Max, Henri & Splashy. They'll all miss him terribly.   

• edited November 2016
    Rip Steve, a genuine nice guy who will be sadly missed.
  • edited November 2016
    Such sad news. 

An inspirational fight has come to an end but you can all be so proud of how it was fought and cherish the memories of that precious time you had together.

My thoughts are with Helen, Henri and Max.

RIP Steve.
  • edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016
    Such sad news :(

RIP
  • edited November 2016
    R.I.P a sad loss he will be missed
  • edited November 2016
    Goodbye, Cappo R.I.P
  • edited November 2016
    Very sad news x
  • edited November 2016
    RIP Ice Tiger, condolences to al of the family.
  • edited November 2016
    RIP to an inspirational bloke.