You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV Announcement

edited December 2016 in Poker Chat

Hi All,

It is with great sadness that we announce the closure of Sky Poker TV.

After a period of detailed consultation we have decided to close the Poker TV Channel, following our final broadcast on Tuesday 6th December 2016. The Poker channel has been operating for over 9 years and the team have played a significant role in the evolution of Sky Poker.  

Our Poker product continues to operate in tough market conditions in the UK, meaning we have had to re-evaluate where we invest. After due consideration the TV channel is no longer an economically viable option for us. The main focus for the product in the coming months will be on improving the player experience and we are currently evaluating our options on how we will best achieve this. 

We would like to thank everybody who has been involved with Sky Poker TV over the last 9 years, the show has been a very large contributing factor in the success of Sky Poker.

Comments

• edited November 2016

Great sadness indeed.

If you would like a wider explanation of the what & why, & to see the above Post translated into normal speak, I have written a blog with some thoughts & reflections which can be viewed
    HERE

If you have any questions or comments, fire away, & either myself, or someone in Head Office, will try to reply &/or explain as appropriate.

You can reply either on this thread, or directly onto the Blog.
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Sky Poker TV Announcement:
    Hi All,   It is with great sadness that we announce the closure of Sky Poker TV.   After a period of detailed consultation we have decided to close the Poker TV Channel, following our final broadcast on Tuesday 6 th  December 2016. The Poker channel has been operating for over 9 years and the team have played a significant role in the evolution of Sky Poker.     Our Poker product continues to operate in tough market conditions in the UK, meaning we have had to re-evaluate where we invest. After due consideration the TV channel is no longer an economically viable option for us. The main focus for the product in the coming months will be on improving the player experience and we are currently evaluating our options on how we will best achieve this.    We would like to thank everybody who has been involved with Sky Poker TV over the last 9 years, the show has been a very large contributing factor in the success of Sky Poker.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Very sad to hear this.....though I haven't been watching it as I don't have Sky Sports and have only caught a couple of episodes on YouTube, SKY POKER TV was the reason I came to play on the site in the first place, and I, and many others, really enjoyed the content of the programme, the excellent Presenters (particularly Ric Orford and Miss Fowler) the FANTASTIC analysis by TiKay and the rest of the 'Experts', (including Mr. Bates!) and the odd occasion you got to see your name in lights.
    Good Luck to all of you but all in all......a VERY sad day.

• edited November 2016
    Sad but expected I am afraid, I too joined when I was flicking through channels back in 2007 (its a man thing) and found Sky poker, that looks like fun I thought better than the grinding cash tables I was doing, and so I joined It seemed that not only did I join Sky poker that day but the community as well.
    Will the you tube videos continue? are there plans for some live streaming on the web in some form etc.
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV Announcement:
    In Response to Sky Poker TV Announcement : Very sad to hear this.....though I haven't been watching it as I don't have Sky Sports and have only caught a couple of episodes on YouTube,  SKY POKER TV was the reason I came to play on the site in the first place, and I, and many others, really enjoyed the content of the programme, the excellent Presenters (particularly Ric Orford and Miss Fowler) the FANTASTIC analysis by TiKay and the rest of the 'Experts', (including Mr. Bates!) and the odd occasion you got to see your name in lights. Good Luck to all of you but a ll in all......a VERY sad day.
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Have to agree, both were superb.

Let's not forget the guys behind the scenes, though, Dan, Louis & Chan. These guys developed Directed & Produced the Show, booked the Guests, wrote the scripts, liased with Sky Sports, produced all the You Tube vids, booked the technical crew - lighting, camera & sound crew, make up, wardrobe etc. (Yup, we did have "Wardrobe" despite Orford looking like a scruff bag), & processed everyone's fees. 

Those three lads did everything, & they did it to the very utmost of their ability. All 3 of them will do well in life, & it was a pleasure & an honour to work with them all those years.       

• edited November 2016
    Sad but expected I am afraid, I too joined when I was flicking through channels back in 2007 (its a man thing) and found Sky poker, that looks like fun I thought better than the grinding cash tables I was doing, and so I joined It seemed that not only did I join Sky poker that day but the community as well. Will the you tube videos continue? are there plans for some live streaming on the web in some form etc.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    I don't know Gary, to be honest - I would doubt it.

The idea is to invest the money in major enhancements to the poker site rather than continue with videos or streaming.

It's all very sad, of course it is, but there's 2 sides to it, & the net result should be a better poker site, as described in the Blog I penned.   

• edited November 2016
    Oh burger :( 

This is really sad news. I tune in every week as I did to most #861 shows, so I'll really miss it.
    I hope it works out well for all the TV show Sky employees we don't see, and Anna and Rich who always fronted the show. No more Rich vs Tikay TV sparring - almost unthinkable! And Anna has already done one final show :(

It's been fantastic - entertaining and educational. Thanks everyone involved!

• edited November 2016
    :( 

A real shame.  Such a great group on screen and behind the cameras.  The reason I came to sky poker.

I hope all have interesting opportunities to move on to.

Massive thanks for all your hard work over the years, thanks to Rich too ;)

Must be a lump in your throat Tikay.
  • edited November 2016
    Really sad.
    Taking a step back in time Channel 861 was my main attraction to sky.
    Going onto the sporting channel must have lost sky about 90 percent of its TV viewing community
    Hope they come back to every day TV. 
  • edited November 2016
    Oh burger :(  This is really sad news. I tune in every week as I did to most #861 shows, so I'll really miss it. I hope it works out well for all the employees we don't see, and Anna and Rich. No more Rich vs Tikay sparring - almost unthinkable! And Anna has already done one final show :( It's been fantastic - entertaining and educational. Thanks everyone involved!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I am sure they will all be fine, all of them are too good not to.

In a way, the team, especially Dan, Louis & Chan were pushing string uphill. They devised & managed a really good TV Show, but as it could not "call to action" or mention SkyPoker.com they effectively had their hands tied behind their back. Tough gig, & they did well to make it last as long as they did. I can't speak highly enough of them.

No other Online Cardroom had anything similar, & there's a reason for that - it's very expensive & it's hard to prove it delivers "value".

For the overwhelming majority of Sky Poker players, who play here regularly & maybe only watch the Show occasionally, they'll be better off once the site has been improved. 

Me? Well yes, I've been there since October 2006, so it's a bit of a shock to the system, but I tend not to dwell on these things. I have some wonderful memories, & a story or two to tell, & if Sky Poker approve, I'll maybe do a few blogs about Sky Poker TV in the next week or two, & maybe hunt down a few clips from the TV Show & include them in the blogs.

Does anyone remember when Dirty Den from Eastenders was on the show, & walked off halfway through in protest at something amazingly fascinating I was saying? 

• edited November 2016
    Really sad. Taking a step back in time Channel 861 was my main attraction to sky. Going onto the sporting channel must have lost sky about 90 percent of its TV viewing community Hope they come back to every day TV. 
    Posted by wynne1938
    In the short term, I doubt it will, Wynne, but the landscape changes at lightning speed in Online Gaming, & SB&G are very nimble-footed, so who knows, it might.
  • edited November 2016

In the Blog, there is a "Comments" section, which I doubt many of you will read, but Imber posted this.....

"A very sad day indeed - sadly memories of the massive avotars and the presenters moving though the cardfs are long gone - but they brought us to Sky Poker and gave us the opportunity to see our skills (and lack of) discussed on live TV.

It was great to hear our names called - and when it moved to Sky Sports sadly it had gone forever as we could not get 24 hour comfort from 861 or 865.

I guess I will be forever grateful to have claimed the phenomena "The ImberSEAL" - a hand in which I was involved which included a ROYAL FLUSH TO THE BOARD!

I am so sad that time moves on - but am grateful for the opportunity to meet with TK and others on several occasions courtesy of the SPT.

Thankfully I can still silent wave to you TK on the PLO8 Tables and will be forever grateful for your guidance and help in making Poker so enjoyable.

Time moves on but hopefully we wil be around for some time to come."
  • edited November 2016
    That's a real shame although I haven't watched it since it moved from 861. Again I'm another who wouldn't be playing on Sky Poker now if it wasn't for that show.

Good luck to all the presenters and behind the scenes staff too. I'm sure they will go on to bigger and better things.
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV Announcement :  Me? Well yes, I've been there since October 2006, so it's a bit of a shock to the system, but I tend not to dwell on these things. I have some wonderful memories, & a story or two to tell, & if Sky Poker approve, I'll maybe do a few blogs about Sky Poker TV in the next week or two, & maybe hunt down a few clips from the TV Show & include them in the blogs.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Just want to say that I (obv!) know about your contribution to the show upto and since the demise of #861, and appreciate everything you brought to it, and also the affect this news will have on you. In my post I was referring to the people that currently only work on the TV show, so I hope you don't think I wasn't recognising you by only mentioning Anna and Rich by name.

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV Announcement : Just want to say that I (obv!) know about your contribution to the show upto and since the demise of #861, and appreciate everything you brought to it, and also the affect this news will have on you. In my post I was referring to the people that currently  only work on the TV show, so I hope you don't think I wasn't recognising you by only mentioning Anna and Rich by name.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Nice post Noseybonk
    Totally agree
  • edited November 2016

It's a real shame as like most others it was happening across the channel that got me started playing on Sky.

With the restrictions placed upon the production team since the takeover and the move to Sky Sports it has been obvious how difficult it was to make a programme with content that continued to hold the interest and attention of both newcomers and the old regular crowd. Nowadays I only watch Top of the Pots and the occasional Final table on YouTube but I will miss these.

I'd like to place on record my gratitude to all involved in the making of all the shows over the years :- production staff, presenters, analysts, guests and everybody else. I'm sure I speak for many when I say I am appreciative of all your efforts and I wish you all the very best of luck in your future endeavours.
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks for all the past shows.

I was very sceptical about depositing on a poker site, but the personality and the, at times, near professionalism of the presenters put any doubts I had to rest and sky was the first site I deposited on. I joke about the professionalism there, five hours of live air time, three times a week must have been a tough gig, and yet  you guys nailed it

Remember tikay giving firm advice about never limping in. I was grinding a play money app at the time and the advice was revelatory to my fishy ears. Beating the play money, trusting the site, reading the forums all gave me the confidence to deposit and enjoy real money poker.

Fave moment was either Orford and hartigan singing through top of the pots (he checked the flop...") or that orange geordie dying with laughter as he reviewed a hand where Anna Fowler bet tommyd out of a big pot with complete air.
  • edited November 2016
    These guys developed Directed & Produced the Show, booked the Guests, wrote the scripts, 
    Posted by Tikay10

WOT? There were actual scripts??

Just kidding......Ch861 is the reason I discovered poker and for that I will be forever grateful.

My enjoyment over the last 6 years has just been incredible.

Thanx guys & gals 

• edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016
    I had never played poker before i first watched on 861, so thank you for the memories.

• edited November 2016
    Thats sad, although I havent seen it since 861 either I was attracted to the site because of TV. 

I love the community spirit on Sky which I think will pretty much die now with the TV show gone.

Genuinely wish Tony Kendall, Richard Orford and Anna Fowler all the best, thanks for the great entertainment you provided over the years, will never be forgotten!

Ger
  • edited November 2016
    Hope you go onto great things TK , the early shows ....top class , cant say I found the Tuesday night shows anywhere
    close to the 861 shows.
      Could be better for the site overall, lets hope so , sure the blogs will be great, looking forward to them.
  • edited November 2016
    This is sad news, I used to watch 846, 865 and 861 most nights in the background to playing. Learning the basics from the presenters and experts was an excellent grounding for me, I honestly believe in the majority of things that if you can do the basics well then you will be ok, along with practice, patience and bit of hard work.

Best wishes to all the background staff, Anna, Tikay and Richard for the future.

Greg.
  • edited November 2016
    I said to Rose that the T.V show would be axed reading between the lines of another thread you posted on Tikay. I watched it on sky years ago and loved it, kept me entertained whilst seeing to my daughter who's now 13. I want to wish everyone on the show, behind the scenes etc all the best for the future. Feeling sad.
  • edited November 2016
    Ch 861 was class and the reason i joined as like many - i wanted to see myself on tele. I was only planning on playing 1 game but loved the show and watched for a few years. I learnt a lot from it and would like to think my game improved because of it.

I did watch a couple of times on Sky Sports but it was different. It seemed a bit more serious. I much preffered the likes of Ed Giddins and Orford with their immature jokes and toilet humour. Had  me in stitches

Hopefully the site will benefit and we,ll see Mr Orford back on our screens sometime soon. i,m sure he won,t be short of an offer or 2.  
  • edited December 2016
    That's a real shame although I haven't watched it since it moved from 861. Again I'm another who wouldn't be playing on Sky Poker now if it wasn't for that show. Good luck to all the presenters and behind the scenes staff too. I'm sure they will go on to bigger and better things.
    Posted by Enut

+1
  • edited December 2016

yesterday was a sad day,  today is a day to be proud.  proud of what you achieved.  well done you all, what you did was quite brilliant.

• edited December 2016
    Sad to see it go didn't watch as don't have sky but 861 was one of the few actual TV shows I watched in the age of Netflix and YouTube etc. Sure it helped a lot of new players and were some classic moments with Rich vs Tikay and the legendary Mr Citrone's "hose me down"

Hopefully all the cast and crew can move on to new things very soon! 

Would be good to have a 'best of' YouTube  compilation as some comedy gold over the years, any chance Tikay? 

(**edited as was going to add a bit of a jokey comment then thought better of it as people have lost their jobs**)
  • edited December 2016
    Loved the shows it was not my influence for joining the site but very sad all the same. Hopefully it has not caused to much hassle for the staff and there family's so close to Christmas. 
    On the other side it's very positive to here that a software re vamp may be on the horizon!
  • edited December 2016
     Of all the deaths in 2016 (David Bowie, Prince, Muhammad Ali etc...) the death of Sky poker tv is without doubt the most welcome. 
  • edited December 2016
    Would there be enough clips on youtube to start a fav moments from sky poker tv thread?