You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV Announcement

Comments

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV Announcement:
    Really enjoyed the 865/861 shows, never seen the sky sports format. Good luck to all involved, best wishes for the future. Just a suggestion to sky, Can you make the last show a free pass, so all of the community can get involved?
    Posted by Red_King
    That won't be possible, but there will probably be a You Tube Video of the entire Show, & if so, I'll post a link to it.
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV Announcement : Are you confusing me with someone else, Doyle?
    Posted by Tikay10
    No Tikay thats absolutely you but it was very interesting waffle.
  • edited December 2016
    Very sad to hear this news :(  I would like to thank all the presenters and behind the scene staff for their great programs over the years.  I wish you all the best in the future x
  • edited December 2016
    in fact the studio was bright green & completely empty apart from the Presenter & Analyst.       
    Posted by Tikay10

So just Orford then? 
    Soz, couldn't resist it......... I know you can take it.

• edited December 2016
    Not read all the thread, so this may have already been answered, but does this also mean an end to all sky poker youtube videos such as top of the pots?
  • edited December 2016
    Shame to see the TV shows come to an end :( While I haven't watched for a while since the switch to Sky Sports as I'm no longer the target audience, I certainly wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for initially learning the basics of the game from the Sky Poker channel, back when it was on 846, from Tikay & Co, so it goes without saying that I'm thankful to all of the people who have contributed to the TV channel over the years.

I know it's something that's been mentioned a few times, but is there any chance of a Sky Poker Twitch channel being launched? There's a few sites doing this kind of thing now - I saw Unibet giving out a freeroll password earlier through a Twitch stream of one of their live events, and I know Stars are always getting their pros to stream, and signing Twitch streamers (Jason Somerville, Jamie Staples to name a couple).

It'd be much cheaper than getting a spot on TV, and have less restriction on what can be broadcast, so is this something that we're likely to see any time soon?
  • edited December 2016
    Not read all the thread, so this may have already been answered, but does this also mean an end to all sky poker youtube videos such as top of the pots?
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Hi Groggs,

Yes, all the You Tube videos, including Top of the Pots, were put together by the TV Team, so going forward, these will discontinue.
  • edited December 2016
    Shame to see the TV shows come to an end :( While I haven't watched for a while since the switch to Sky Sports as I'm no longer the target audience, I certainly wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for initially learning the basics of the game from the Sky Poker channel, back when it was on 846, from Tikay & Co, so it goes without saying that I'm thankful to all of the people who have contributed to the TV channel over the years. I know it's something that's been mentioned a few times, but is there any chance of a Sky Poker Twitch channel being launched? There's a few sites doing this kind of thing now - I saw Unibet giving out a freeroll password earlier through a Twitch stream of one of their live events, and I know Stars are always getting their pros to stream, and signing Twitch streamers (Jason Somerville, Jamie Staples to name a couple). It'd be much cheaper than getting a spot on TV, and have less restriction on what can be broadcast, so is this something that we're likely to see any time soon?
    Posted by EvilPingu
    I don't really know the answer to that, Andy. Is there any chance? Yes. Is it likely? I don't know.

If the decision were mine - & it's most certainly not - I would want to know if it was more or less likely to justify its cost & resource by bringing new or additional traffic to the site, or profile-raising to an adequate degree.

It's a bit like "Live Updates" or "streams" of Live Events. Many poker players enjoy reading/watching these, but in my experience, they don't generate any extra traffic, or generate player loyalty. We are poker players, & we just love free stuff.

I watch some of the PokerStars streams, & occasionally watch Jason Somerville's Twitch Stream (because I like him) but I'd never dream of playing on that site. I'm freerolling them.

• edited December 2016
    Ooft, just read this post this morning and like many others who have posted, it is sad to hear of the final show.  I honestly don't think I'd have played poker if it wasn't for finding the 865 channel a few years ago.  

Many laughs watching the show with presenters and analysts and I loved the unique interaction with the players/viewers.  Smiling to myself writing this post thinking of the some of the laughs. 

Hopefully all associated with Sky Poker TV will move on to pastures new quickly and be as successful.  

Thanks again to all and I'll tune in tomorrow to watch.  Good luck all.

Ross
  • edited December 2016
    "I watch some of the PokerStars streams, & occasionally watch Jason Somerville's Twitch Stream (because I like him) but I'd never dream of playing on that site. I'm freerolling them."

In a sense you are free-rolling them. but there is a sense in which you are not. The most popular twitch channels are placed first under their catagory. this is a snowball effect where the best viewed channels are placed in the spot that is most likely to attract people looking for a stream to watch. bolstering their numbers does help them hoover up passing trade.

stars is heavily mining the twitch viewership. they have a number of popular poker streamers signed up and thier own twitch channel that streams big final tables to pretty nice numbers. They obviously see gamers as a potentially untapped revenue stream. young peeps, tech savvy interested in competition etc. I read they were at the last twitch convention offering starting bankrolls of a few $100 to any streamer with 10k followers, no matter what game they regularly stream.

it would be hard to build a following for sky, however. most big numbers are generated when people are able to tag their stream with things like "final table hype, 150k up top". sky are more of a bespoke site, with its own charm. to some it will seem small-time and the software to the gaming generation will be, well, if its viewed as quaint then it will be a victory.

that said some clever marketing, give-a-ways etc might spark a loyal following. but a few hundred viewers would constitute a minor hit in the poker channel on twitch. will it direct enough traffic? having a presence on the site can only be a good thing, but making it cost effective is the difficulty. any players / ex presenters with profile that could be pursuaded by a nights play subsidised if they stream regularly?

growing a stream is a real task though. the poker market is getting pretty competetive on twitch and people like polk and tonkaaa are very engaging, play decent stakes and have established channels. there is a barrier to entry there atm.
  • edited December 2016
    Are there any plans to auction off any SkyPokerTv studio memorabilia for maybe one or more of the charities on the forum?
    Skypoker chips, oversized cards, tables etc. Is there a Skypoker tv vault anywhere, which is covered in dust and needs a good dig out?

PS. Not to include presenters, as they're livestock, you would need a special license for those.
  • edited December 2016
    Are there any plans to auction off any SkyPokerTv studio memorabilia for maybe one or more of the charities on the forum? Skypoker chips, oversized cards, tables etc. Is there a Skypoker tv vault anywhere, which is covered in dust and needs a good dig out? PS. Not to include presenters, as they're livestock, you would need a special license for those.
    Posted by chilling
    Not for Tikay, who can be sent by post-it's very easy to get him to fold....
  • edited December 2016
    Thats Tikay to the letter......tbf...... folding is a dying art.
  • edited December 2016
    very saddened to her this news,  didn't begin my poker on sky but was qucik to turn my attention to sky thanks to it's TV. I very was disappointed when the story came of an end to the poker channel and now this has been announced. 

I give great credit to the likes of ryan spittles and neil channing for all the poker advice and tips, shall remember richard orford for all the entertainment and humor he provided as a rec including that orford straight, thank you to anna fowler for the fun and that entertaining rivalry we had with boring loner on master cash and thank you the rest of you for that TV of course praise can't be stop without giving huge credit that ancient host we call TK and his great newbie game advice for PLO8.

• edited December 2016
    I give a big thank you to everyone who supported me on that show where I progressed through the high roller, still to this day I remember the A10s which I posted as a hand request and that exit hand which saw me go all in holding 105s as a flush draw
  • edited December 2016
    very saddened to her this news,  didn't begin my poker on sky but was qucik to turn my attention to sky thanks to it's TV. I very was disappointed when the story came of an end to the poker channel and now this has been announced.  I give great credit to the likes of ryan spittles and neil channing for all the poker advice and tips, shall remember richard orford for all the entertainment and humor he provided as a rec including that orford straight, thank you to anna fowler for the fun and that entertaining rivalry we had with boring loner on master cash and thank you the rest of you for that TV of course praise can't be stop without giving huge credit that ancient host we call TK and his great newbie game advice for PLO8.  
    Posted by craigcu12
    :)
    I've had a tough day. That's made me smile 
  • edited December 2016
    Is there a special finish laid on for the final airing tonight?  Or is it going to be an Eric Morecambe, hat, coat and scarf finale.
  • edited December 2016
    Sad to see it go, but the real blow was the loss of the channel and I can't say I was surprised at this next step given the lack of opportunities to push the site through that medium.

Thanks for all the memories and the very best of wishes for everyone involved with the show.

In terms of the future instead of being last to market with twitch (which is youth and gamer focused and US biased in any case) why not try some of the more mainstream streaming options?

E.g. facebook and youtube both allow live streaming now and would catch a much broader demographic.

• edited December 2016
    Like everyone else i am sad to see the programme end. I started watching 2011 i think it was, the first ever cash game series with Julian Thew, Redmond Lee and chums. I had played quite a bit of 3 card bragg in a local snooker club and seemed to be quite good at it. I didn't have much of a clue about poker and here i am 5 years later and things are pretty much the same but it has been great fun watching and i wish all the folks connected with the channel all the best for the future.
  • edited December 2016
    Is there a special finish laid on for the final airing tonight?  Or is it going to be an Eric Morecambe, hat, coat and scarf finale.
    Posted by chilling
    I literally suggested exactly that last week Chilling. I think it would be a hilarious way to end.
  • edited December 2016

I had a lost of things I wanted to say on this thread and I'll start with a few...

I always found it a great pleasure to be a (pretty rare) guest on the show in the early days but I found when I started my poker company that we could sort of do a quid pro quo in that I could come on and very briefly promote my site while appearing on Sky...a place that has always shared the idea with our old site of a friendly community for players to interact, to improve, to talk poker gossip and to make friends. As a guest I was always struck by the professionalism of the team...it was sort of obvious that everyone would know what they were doing and not really put a foot wrong as they were making these shows for five hours 20 times a month. What was not obvious was how they could always keep the thing fresh and appealing to new viewers as well as the regulars that loved it. In poker content terms they needed stuff for total beginners as well as for more experienced players. I thought a great job was always done in maintaining the balance.

Those five hour sessions were pretty exhausting but the team helped to make them fun and they flew by. 
  • edited December 2016
    Posted by chilling
    Is Tikay on tonight?
  • edited December 2016

Tonight's line-up is Richard Orford as Presenter, with Anna Fowler as the recreational player taking on pro player Ryan Spittles, & with - as DoyleBrun would attest - waffle (interesting waffle) supplied by Yours Truly.

I would doubt that anything special is planned as such, as we have to keep it professional for Sky Sports.

It'll be an upbeat show though, I'm sure of that.

• edited December 2016

You obv mean Anna as the presenter, yourself as the rec, Richard as the pro with Ryan doing the analysing.....

#sortitoutskypoker

PS...Have a good show all. I might even watch this one ;)
  • edited December 2016
    All the best to everyone for the last show tonight.

It is apt the final show will involve those mostly associated with the programme. Sky pokers dream team: Anna, Rich, Tikay and Ryan.

If there is a live play segment i'll try and jump on the tables later.

I would like to wish all those  involved with the programme, tvcrew /director all the best for the future.

• edited December 2016

When I signed up with Sky it was slightly weird to go on the show and be more of a regular than a guest and I always felt a little bit rude to be bursting into something that worked so well for so many years without me. The whole team, both those who appear in front of the camera and those who work away out of the limelight, were hugely welcoming and always professional but I was actually quite a bit more nervous when I started appearing as the Ambassador rather than as someone who could just sit there and chip in when I fancied it.

I'm not sure how long it was after I started wearing a Sky Poker patch before the announcement was made that the show was moving to a once a week Sky Sports slot but the decision certainly made a lot of sense to me. There was no real choice as SB&G didn't have a licence to run a shopping channel as the licence was owned by BskyB but even if they could have carried on they would have been weighing whether to continue making a large band of largely existing customers who watch occasionally very happy as those people really loved the show and many had been with it from the start, but not many of them watched it on any given night, against getting 50x more people to watch it many of whom had no idea why they were watching it, what was going on or whether they would ever watch it again. I definitely think taking the later option would have ben the right choice if there had been a choice but that presented a whole new challenge to those that worked on the show to make something that might appeal to a much newer and more casual viewer who may have only just arrived and who may not stay long.

I think they did a brilliant job at covering all bases and making something fresh, different and interesting that engaged a pretty huge number of people every week.
  • edited December 2016
    couldn't have asked for a better ending. I'll do my best to be on a live table couldn't have asked for a better played than my great rival anna.
  • edited December 2016
    Tonight's line-up is Richard Orford as Presenter, with Anna Fowler as the recreational player taking on pro player Ryan Spittles, & with - as DoyleBrun would attest - waffle ( interesting waffle) supplied by Yours Truly. I would doubt that anything special is planned as such, as we have to keep it professional for Sky Sports.   It'll be an upbeat show though, I'm sure of that.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Oh wow!  I'll def be tuning in then !   I've not seen Scotty77 for AGES!!  ;-))))

p.s. Ex marks just to annoy Teeks!

p.p.s. NO tears now.........
  • edited December 2016
    Not sure why they thought putting old waterworks on the final show would be a good idea!
    Waterproof mascara for me thanks,

:(

xx
  • edited December 2016
    How about dedicating it to live master cash, the master cash live regs could all show their part in giving the show a farewell.