You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Avenger Rebuy (Friday) becomes a Rebuy Bounty Hunter

edited December 2016 in Poker Chat

As of tomorrow (Friday 9th December), the Friday Night Avenger & Mini Avenger, which were previously pure rebuys, will become Rebuy Bounty Hunters.

Comments

• edited December 2016
    A what?  A bounty hunter?  And a rebuy?  When will the Sunday Major and Iceman and tuesday high roller become bounty hunters as well?  (I like bounty hunters but not for breakfast, dinner AND tea)

Will the rebuys remain fee free?  

Will the rebuy remain available at any point when below starting stack or will it become re-entry and so only when busto?
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Avenger Rebuy (Friday) becomes a Rebuy Bounty Hunter:
    A what?  A bounty hunter?  And a rebuy?  When will the Sunday Major and Iceman and tuesday high roller become bounty hunters as well?  (I like bounty hunters but not for breakfast, dinner AND tea) Will the rebuys remain fee free?   Will the rebuy remain available at any point when below starting stack or will it become re-entry and so only when busto?
    Posted by SoLack
    Hi Solly,

Yup, like THIS

As far as I am aware, no, you don't have to lose all your chips before rebuying. Those who played that £3.30 one last night are better placed to confirm though.

Sunday Major, Iceman & High Roller become Rebuy BH's?

I guess that depends if they perform financially by meeting their Guarantees. If they don't, they might. It's either that, reduce the Guarantees, or cancel the MTT altogether. 

Sky Poker absolutely do NOT have an agenda to make everything a BH, but they have to (try to) give customers what they want. And if the majority prefer BH's, Sky Poker would be daft to deny them. 

I tend to agree with the thrust of your point, but I don't see an alternative. 

Hope you are well mate, in good heart, & ready for that big annual thing in a few weeks time - Xmas UKOPS.     

• edited December 2016
    Rebuys are available immediately, or were in the £3.30 anyway
  • edited December 2016
    You will be able to rebuy from the start as long as your stack is level with or under starting stack. All rebuys and addons made will be split in the same way as the initial buy in, half on your head half in the prize pool. 

• edited December 2016
    A what?  A bounty hunter?  And a rebuy?  When will the Sunday Major and Iceman and tuesday high roller become bounty hunters as well?  (I like bounty hunters but not for breakfast, dinner AND tea) Will the rebuys remain fee free?   Will the rebuy remain available at any point when below starting stack or will it become re-entry and so only when busto?
    Posted by SoLack
    Hey SoLack - You will be pleased to know the Tuesday High Roller is showing in the lobby as a Bounty Hunter now. It is now known as the Sky High Bounty Hunter.
  • edited December 2016
    sad times indeed...

for online poker in general, as someone said the other day, is this not meant to be the poker season?

but if every non-bounty hunter now misses its guarentee then u know what will happen....

• edited December 2016

The change to a Rebuy BH in last night's two Avengers, which had been struggling as regular Rebuys, resulted in the Main Avenger beating Guarantee by 25%, & the Mini Avenger beating Guarantee by 40%.  
  • edited December 2016
    The change to a Rebuy BH in last night's two Avengers, which had been struggling as regular Rebuys, resulted in the Main Avenger beating Guarantee by 25%, & the Mini Avenger beating Guarantee by 40%.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think this is because people now have an incentive to do additional rebuys when its BH (right at the start for example) and the fact that BH results in more preflop all-ins at deeper stack sizes so people need to rebuy more to reach the add-on. Btw this increase in Avenger popularity came with the expense of the 110£ BH, Summit Bounty Hunter, which had 1200£ overlay. I have actually never seen it fall short of guarantee before.
    Props for keeping the rebuys and add-on rake free despite the change.
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Avenger Rebuy (Friday) becomes a Rebuy Bounty Hunter : I think this is because people now have an incentive to do additional rebuys when its BH (right at the start for example) and the fact that BH results in more preflop all-ins at deeper stack sizes so people need to rebuy more to reach the add-on. Btw this increase in Avenger popularity came with the expense of the 110£ BH, Summit Bounty Hunter, which had 1200£ overlay. I have actually never seen it fall short of guarantee before. Props for keeping the rebuys and add-on rake free despite the change.
    Posted by Wiked
    Welcome to the Forum, & a good constructive Post, thank you.

I'll leave the BH regulars to comment upon how the Rebuy element of a BH changes things.

Think I tend to agree with you as to the Summit being affected though, it's now too close to another good BH, & maybe that's too much.

I would imagine James will give some thought to relocating Summit, maybe on another night when the Main is not a BH.

Good luck if you plan to play the upcoming UKOPS.
  • edited December 2016
    sad times indeed... for online poker in general, as someone said the other day, is this not meant to be the poker season? but if every non-bounty hunter now misses its guarentee then u know what will happen....
    Posted by goldnballz
    I don't see how sky can win as either 
    there are moans that guarantees are too low (which happens as the numbers constantly prove freezeouts and normal rebuys are not that popular)
    Or you get moans that all tournaments are bounty hunters. 

Rebuy bounty hunters seem to be a happy medium. 

• edited December 2016

Mr Bates nails it.

Sky Poker are like Swansea FC - they can't win.

• edited December 2016
    If the maths shows that this is what most people want and that Sky will generate more revenue then it is hard to argue against it.

Although it would be nice (in addition to the BH ME RB & AO Speed turbo All-in RR Spin-Up games) to have a few novel tourneys of an evening with no late registration, no bounties, no re-entry, no rebuy etc. You know those old styled tourneys where you turn up on time, sit with a little wedge of chips and if you lose them you are busto. As much as all the other formats can be fun, I do miss that simplicity sometimes.

Then again I have not been playing much poker lately so feel free to tell me to 'GO AWAY' ;-)
  • edited December 2016
  • edited December 2016
    'Report Abuse' duly clicked! ;-)
  • edited December 2016
    There was no doubt in my mind that the change to a BH rebuy would be successful, that was not the point of my post.  The Sun has always been the biggest selling newspaper but it doesn't mean it is the best, and doesn't mean the Guardian feel the need to paste semi-naked young ladies on page 3.  Likewise the Sun do not feel the need to print semi-naked young ladies on every page as evn the Sun understand the nee for some diversity.

The knock on effect of last night's change on the summit was disappointing but I don't think there is room on another night where it fits and so will have stay where it is with reduced guarantee (fine by me - I don't think I have ever moaned about reduced guarantees).  The only two mains that are non-BH are Sunday and Tuesday.  Tuesday already has the Sky high roller (also now a BH - more below) and the wider games available on Sundays means there is unlikely to be much appetite for a 9pm £110 jobbie.

Sky High roller change to BH was probably inevitable and it fits tbh as long as the Iceman remains a freezeout.

I am beginning to wonder about the future of Sky Poker.  The closure of the TV channel, the seemingly desperate changes to tournament formats both make me think they are struggling to keep things going.  I understand business is business and that a profit needs to be made but there seems little strategy to the tounament formats.  There was a major relaunch of the tournaments structure but a couple of months later and there have been several canges to the launch plan.  Is there a chance Sky Poker could go busto?  Should I be keeping my bank-roll at a minimum?

Maybe Sky Poker has run its course?  (Or maybe it will relaunch as Sky Bounty Hunter Poker)
  • edited December 2016
    There was no doubt in my mind that the change to a BH rebuy would be successful, that was not the point of my post.  The Sun has always been the biggest selling newspaper but it doesn't mean it is the best, and doesn't mean the Guardian feel the need to paste semi-naked young ladies on page 3.  Likewise the Sun do not feel the need to print semi-naked young ladies on every page as evn the Sun understand the nee for some diversity.
    Pretty solid point to be fair.

I guess the question is... Is the priority to 'attempt' to cater to everyone or simply to cater to the majority. I can see both sides of the coin TBH.
  • edited December 2016
    I think that is a little unfair, SoLack-Sky has improved its MTT offering considerably in the last few months.

Bounty Hunters have always been popular here, and it was inevitable that some of the less robust new MTTs were going down this route to prop them up. Think it's more a case of 6 steps forward and 2 back....that said, I so wish that the High Roller could remain as a traditional MTT...
  • edited December 2016
    There was no doubt in my mind that the change to a BH rebuy would be successful, that was not the point of my post.  The Sun has always been the biggest selling newspaper but it doesn't mean it is the best, and doesn't mean the Guardian feel the need to paste semi-naked young ladies on page 3.  Likewise the Sun do not feel the need to print semi-naked young ladies on every page as evn the Sun understand the nee for some diversity. The knock on effect of last night's change on the summit was disappointing but I don't think there is room on another night where it fits and so will have stay where it is with reduced guarantee (fine by me - I don't think I have ever moaned about reduced guarantees).  The only two mains that are non-BH are Sunday and Tuesday.  Tuesday already has the Sky high roller (also now a BH - more below) and the wider games available on Sundays means there is unlikely to be much appetite for a 9pm £110 jobbie. Sky High roller change to BH was probably inevitable and it fits tbh as long as the Iceman remains a freezeout. I am beginning to wonder about the future of Sky Poker.  The closure of the TV channel, the seemingly desperate changes to tournament formats both make me think they are struggling to keep things going.  I understand business is business and that a profit needs to be made but there seems little strategy to the tounament formats.  There was a major relaunch of the tournaments structure but a couple of months later and there have been several canges to the launch plan.  Is there a chance Sky Poker could go busto?  Should I be keeping my bank-roll at a minimum? Maybe Sky Poker has run its course?  (Or maybe it will relaunch as Sky Bounty Hunter Poker)
    Posted by SoLack
    Desperate changes? Firstly, I do think more could of been done to push certain tournaments. However the vocal minority on the forum need to see the wider picture. (This is coming from someone with a much higher ROI in rebuys than bounty hunters). The new schedule was always going to be amended as time went on and the players voted with their £. The mains on sky are the flagship events and should attract reasonable fields with an eye catching amount ftw. Sky are moving with the times and adjusting things. 

Whilst a few may want a freezeout with no late reg, that isnt popular these days. Sky may put on some £10 games like this with a £30 guarantee with only the winner paid but it seems like a lot of effort for sky to please those handful of players. 

Sky have constantly tried to push rebuys and freezeouts/deepstacks but the numbers arent there so the guarantees have to drop and they eventually die a death. 

Progressive knockouts or bounty hunters are what the majority of players want and over all sites. Look at stars schedules now compared to 2years ago and the amount of psko they now have. Partypoker are now bringing in progressive knockuts. 

No matter how many times the reason behind the closure of 861 is discussed players just ignore it. 

Finally, after a sample of 1 we dont know if there will be an effect on the summit or if a rebuy bh main will work. 

• edited December 2016

The online Poker world is changing. The competition for players has increased. Some sites have taken note. Sky Poker may now hit a decline (due to no TV coverage plus bigger competition from other progressive poker sites) and will need to act accordingly to compete. Maybe it is time to really listen to all the player base, not just Priority/sats for cash/bubble insurance/higher reward etc etc players. 2017 may be a make or break year (IMO).
  • edited December 2016
    Skypoker cant go busto as its part of SBG. 
  • edited December 2016
    The online Poker world is changing. The competition for players has increased. Some sites have taken note. Sky Poker may now hit a decline (due to no TV coverage plus bigger competition from other progressive poker sites) and will need to act accordingly to compete. Maybe it is time to really listen to all the player base, not just Priority/sats for cash/bubble insurance/higher reward etc etc players. 2017 may be a make or break year (IMO).
    Posted by MAXALLY

You wanna be a little bit more dramatic?
  • edited December 2016
    I like bounty hunters, and I did like the BH rebuy format (although not quite sure the best way to play it yet) and hope it stays as a regular main (but personally would have preferred for it to replace the one of the four existing BH mains that are essentially all the same).  Are you saying that the minority should just shut it and go away?I have tried to put my points constructively and to iterate that I understand the business issues involved but I don't think the issue is that I can't see the bigger picture, in fact the opposite.  BTW after the Brexit referendum, US election, last General Election and newspaper choice I comfortable being in the minority.
  • edited December 2016
    Rebuys dont seem to do that well on this site but the £22 rebuy price was probably too much for most.This new format of rebuy bounty hunters is nonesense tho and i dont think any main should be one of them.

Id rather the summit become the main for fridays or a £55 bh come in place of the 22r.

So many bounty hunters does get boring tho and it would be great if every now or then there be a pure poker day on the schedule with no bounty hunters.

• edited December 2016
    Mr Bates nails it. Sky Poker are like Swansea FC - they can't win.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Latest Score;

Swansea 2 - Sunderland 0
  • edited December 2016
    Posted by MAXALLY
    You don't think Sky Poker listens to, & talks to, it's player base?

That was the whole point of this thread.

It was Sky Poker's view that the players would prefer a Rebuy BH rather than a traditional rebuy.

I decided to start a thread, so as to communicate the decision, & the reasons.

This morning, I made it known that the two MTT's in question had performed much better.

If that's not listening to the player base, I don't know what is.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Prio players being looked after. I'd say that was good business practice, personally, to go that extra yard for your biggest customers.  (cue "but what about the little guy?".....).

I doubt any site works harder, via Promos & this Forum, to look after everyone. Everything the site does is communicated as well as possible to everyone, & the threads go back & forth. How is that a bad thing?   

• edited December 2016
    Rebuys dont seem to do that well on this site but the £22 rebuy price was probably too much for most.This new format of rebuy bounty hunters is nonesense tho and i dont think any main should be one of them. Id rather the summit become the main for fridays or a £55 bh come in place of the 22r. So many bounty hunters does get boring tho and it would be great if every now or then there be a pure poker day on the schedule with no bounty hunters.
    Posted by Arrogant
    The guy we can thank - or blame - for this is James. As it happens, he does not like all these BH's one bit, & I suspect he very much agrees with you.

But the numbers, repeatedly, again & again, say otherwise.....

So he does his job.
  • edited December 2016
    I like bounty hunters, and I did like the BH rebuy format (although not quite sure the best way to play it yet) and hope it stays as a regular main (but personally would have preferred for it to replace the one of the four existing BH mains that are essentially all the same).  Are you saying that the minority should just shut it and go away?I have tried to put my points constructively and to iterate that I understand the business issues involved but I don't think the issue is that I can't see the bigger picture, in fact the opposite.  BTW after the Brexit referendum, US election, last General Election and newspaper choice I comfortable being in the minority.
    Posted by SoLack
    I'm assuming that was addressed to someone else, not me, as I never said any such thing.

Of course you should articulate your preferences. That's why Sky Poker has a Forum & other sites don't, despite what Alan says.  

However, I do NOT think you should glibly say things (which I am 100% sure you do not believe, & were tongue in cheek) like this....

"Is there a chance Sky Poker could go busto?  Should I be keeping my bank-roll at a minimum?"

People have actually responded to that, so some must have thought you were serious.

So I'm obliged to say anything is possible, but that's as near as impossible as I could imagine. Sky Poker are owned by SB&G (google their annual results or their year on year improved performance for the last 5 years), who in turn are owned by CVC Capital Partners.

I'm also pretty sure that players funds are ring-fenced, as required by The Gambling Commission.

So no, it won't be going belly up in your or my lifetime.

Could they close it, as it is not viable? (A completely different thing). Well they could, but they won't, as it plays a part in an integrated gaming platform, & does so very well.

The fact that they are now managing overlay is a good thing, not a bad thing.

So I'm 100% fine with you disagreeing with MTT changes - that's perfectly subjective. That's a very long way from wondering out loud if the Business is struggling as a whole.

It makes good money. As part of a well-managed business, it has to make more money each year - that's what any good business must try to do. So it manages the Business very tightly, & when, say, they look at the half a mill per year or whatever it was they were spending on the TV Show, & can't see that is producing any significant payback, they close it, & decide to invest that sum in improving the Product overall. (A process which has already begun under the radar). Is that bad business?    

• edited December 2016
    There was no doubt in my mind that the change to a BH rebuy would be successful, that was not the point of my post.  The Sun has always been the biggest selling newspaper but it doesn't mean it is the best, and doesn't mean the Guardian feel the need to paste semi-naked young ladies on page 3.  Likewise the Sun do not feel the need to print semi-naked young ladies on every page as evn the Sun understand the nee for some diversity. The knock on effect of last night's change on the summit was disappointing but I don't think there is room on another night where it fits and so will have stay where it is with reduced guarantee (fine by me - I don't think I have ever moaned about reduced guarantees).  The only two mains that are non-BH are Sunday and Tuesday.  Tuesday already has the Sky high roller (also now a BH - more below) and the wider games available on Sundays means there is unlikely to be much appetite for a 9pm £110 jobbie. Sky High roller change to BH was probably inevitable and it fits tbh as long as the Iceman remains a freezeout. I am beginning to wonder about the future of Sky Poker.  The closure of the TV channel, the seemingly desperate changes to tournament formats both make me think they are struggling to keep things going.  I understand business is business and that a profit needs to be made but there seems little strategy to the tounament formats.  There was a major relaunch of the tournaments structure but a couple of months later and there have been several canges to the launch plan.  Is there a chance Sky Poker could go busto?  Should I be keeping my bank-roll at a minimum? Maybe Sky Poker has run its course?  (Or maybe it will relaunch as Sky Bounty Hunter Poker)
    Posted by SoLack
    Did you really expect that such a major change to the MTT Schedules (which was wayyyyy overdue, doubt it had been done in years) would never need tweaking, changing, sorting in the light of performance?

If so, I have some bad news for you - it was, is, & will remain a work in progress, & will be continually tweaked.

• edited December 2016
    hi im not to happy on rebuy having bounties on them but give what the people wont and seems bounties are what there wont. a few side points min cash of 26 quid was far 2 small and became almost irrelevant. in this formatwhen people have fired multiply bullets i was in for 100 in game mc was 26 the avg head at this point was about 40 so feel pay less and make min cash at least 55. i really like sky new sched when it was realised 220 hr hype turbo feel this is what sky needs to do and steer away from bounties but by the looks of it and numbers wise think i was wrong.
  • edited December 2016
    Anyone thinking there bankroll is not safe on Sky may need their tinfoil hat adjusting a tad IMHO.