You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of G

Comments

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of G:
    it was nice to chat with you on satdee night Gaz that was until i run into your aces bad move by me i have to say , that was the 1st main i played this year and was hoping to do well nvm it only cost me the rake fee , gl mate
    Posted by stokefc
    Cheers pal.  Nice chatting with you.

Honestly I can't quite remember the hand.  Hope you get to play in more mains soon though and crush it
  • edited May 2017
    Just couldn't resist posting this as a hand review.

Despite having had a decent discussion about this already,  I found it too interesting (perhaps im just that bored) not to post it.

Thoughts always welcome

https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/05/08/hand-review-2-folding-sets/
  • edited May 2017
    Hi Gazza

Lyonsbob (Mike) is defo a good player. I met him at UKPC Notts. August 2015, when he finished 4th for the best part of £20K. I gave him a golf lesson at the bar afterwards as you do!! helped cure him from SHANKING.... Great bloke and good fun Scouser too. 

I've only played on his tables a few times, but he does sometimes play quite loose/aggresive when there's a pot there to be taken, and knowing this I think I would have to call, but it's a very marginal one for me, and I'm definitely not the best player to comment on this hand, and is probably the reason I haven't done too well in Bounty Hunters recently!!

• edited May 2017
    Hi Gazza Lyonsbob (Mike) is defo a good player. I met him at UKPC Notts. August 2015, when he finished 4th for the best part of £20K. I gave him a golf lesson at the bar afterwards as you do!! helped cure him from SHANKING.... Great bloke and good fun Scouser too.  I've only played on his tables a few times, but he does sometimes play quite loose/aggresive when there's a pot there to be taken, and knowing this I think I would have to call, but it's a very marginal one for me, and  I'm definitely not the best player to comment on this hand, and is probably the reason I haven't done too well in Bounty Hunters recently!!  
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Lord I know I need a golf lesson.  I can't stop slicing it.  I've just resorted to aiming about 100 yards left of where I want to hit it knowing the ball will just go so far left to right, unintentionally of course.  Someone also commented on my grip being wierd the other day which has just made me paranoid every time I step up to the ball.  Man golf is frustrating.

Yeah think the hand is a call long term.  I personally didnt think he was likely to get out of line too much 4 handed but 1 in 5 isn't much to make it a correct call. 
  • edited May 2017
    Just couldn't resist posting this as a hand review. Despite having had a decent discussion about this already,  I found it too interesting (perhaps im just that bored) not to post it. Thoughts always welcome https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/05/08/hand-review-2-folding-sets/
    Posted by gazza127
    If you want to win that had you should lead the flop. Having bet called the turn you are asking to be bet on the river. Shoving now is high variance.
  • edited May 2017
    Yes I could have led flop.

I was planning a check/raise on the flop but the bet didnt come, but i could build pot myself I guess.

Although as played I don't think im 'asking to be bet on the river'.  Bet calling is a sign I'm not just stabbing at the pot.  I either have fantastic equity in the hand or an already made strong holding.

I actually think the bet on the river polarises his range a bit as he's unlikely to value bet the middle part of his range like Kx holdings.

Shove never crossed my mind with the flush on the board.  Don't think this is high variance as such - its more just tying a noose for myself as I don't think i'd ever be called by worse on the river.

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of G : Lord I know I need a golf lesson.  I can't stop slicing it.  I've just resorted to aiming about 100 yards left of where I want to hit it knowing the ball will just go so far left to right, unintentionally of course.  Someone also commented on my grip being wierd the other day which has just made me paranoid every time I step up to the ball.  Man golf is frustrating. Yeah think the hand is a call long term.  I personally didnt think he was likely to get out of line too much 4 handed but 1 in 5 isn't much to make it a correct call. 
    Posted by gazza127
    Sorry Gazza....missed this post.
    A good grip is the single most important fundamental in golf imo. A good grip is hardly ever comfortable at first. People will always move their hands  to try and hold the club, what feels more comfortable for them.
    The one thing you musn't do is aim further left, that just magnifies the slice. The easiest way I find for people to stop slicing is using a 2 stage(AT LEAST)process. 
    You need to learn to turn your Right hand over(above) your left earlier in the downswing, what will feel to you like before you actually hit the ball. Literally try to hit the ball with the toe end of the club or pointing your right palm at the floor as you hit the ball. Practice doing this with a club and without a ball. (If you play tennis, like a two handed topspin shot) Try to feel like you are hitting it with the face turning round 'the farthest side away from you' of the ball. Difficult to explain in words, far easier to show/demonstrate.
    When you do it right(early enough) this should make you hit the ball left, but without slicing, which is the 1st stage, and it will be nice to see a different side of the golf course. You may even hit a few straight at target shots !
    You then need to gain enough confidence to start swinging the club down the line of the shot (on the downswing), with your hands turning earlier REMEMBER!....... instead of across it to the left as you do. You should feel as though you are briefly pointing the club at the flag on your follow-through (having already turned your right hand over the left), before continuing over your left shoulder.
    All of this assumes you are a right hand golfer, (opposite for a 'leftie')

Hope this helps all the 'SLICERS' out there. Professional coaching is always the best way. As I alluded to, it's easier to show/demonstrate in person/on video

EDIT:
    Does this sound about right JIMI (HENDRIK)?

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of G : Sorry Gazza....missed this post. A good grip is the single most important fundamental in golf imo. A good grip is hardly ever comfortable at first. People will always move their hands  to try and hold the club, what feels more comfortable for them. The one thing you musn't do is aim further left, that just magnifies the slice. The easiest way I find for people to stop slicing is using a 2 stage(AT LEAST)process.  You need to learn to turn your Right hand over(above) your left earlier in the downswing, what will feel to you like before you actually hit the ball. Literally try to hit the ball with the toe end of the club or pointing your right palm at the floor as you hit the ball. Practice doing this with a club and without a ball. (If you play tennis, like a two handed topspin shot) Try to feel like you are hitting it with the face turning round 'the farthest side away from you' of the ball. Difficult to explain in words, far easier to show/demonstrate. When you do it right(early enough) this should make you hit the ball left, but without slicing, which is the 1st stage, and it will be nice to see a different side of the golf course. You may even hit a few straight at target shots ! You then need to gain enough confidence to start swinging the club down the line of the shot (on the downswing), with your hands turning earlier REMEMBER! ....... instead of across it to the left as you do. You should feel as though you are briefly pointing the club at the flag on your follow-through (having already turned your right hand over the left), before continuing over your left shoulder. All of this assumes you are a right hand golfer, (opposite for a 'leftie') Hope this helps all the 'SLICERS' out there. Professional coaching is always the best way. As I alluded to, it's easier to show/demonstrate in person/on video EDIT: Does this sound about right JIMI (HENDRIK)?
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Cheers for this mate.  I've resorted to paying for a batch of 5 lessons to cut out this slice.  2 lessons in and i'm already seeing improvement.  i think it'll be worth the money!

Definitely harder to explain written down than in person.  He's changed a whole bunch of stuff in my swing.  From stance to swing path and hand postioning - it feels weird at first but having gone to the range since its starting to feel more natural.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of G : Cheers for this mate.  I've resorted to paying for a batch of 5 lessons to cut out this slice.  2 lessons in and i'm already seeing improvement.  i think it'll be worth the money! Definitely harder to explain written down than in person.  He's changed a whole bunch of stuff in my swing.  From stance to swing path and hand postioning - it feels weird at first but having gone to the range since its starting to feel more natural.
    Posted by gazza127
    Definitely the best option. Glad to hear you can already see some improvement. The more you practice, the quicker it will start to become more natural. On the golf course it will feel a bit different, and whatever you do, don't go back to your old ways. Just imagine you are in the driving range bay, and just try and swing how you've been taught. Don't worry where the ball goes so much, and as you gain confidence in your swing, the results will improve.

Good Luck with it.... and the Poker too

Best wishes

JEZ
  • edited May 2017
    lessons definitely the way to go, as Misty says its difficult to do it in print....

Good luck.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of G : Sorry Gazza....missed this post. A good grip is the single most important fundamental in golf imo. A good grip is hardly ever comfortable at first. People will always move their hands  to try and hold the club, what feels more comfortable for them. The one thing you musn't do is aim further left, that just magnifies the slice. The easiest way I find for people to stop slicing is using a 2 stage(AT LEAST)process.  You need to learn to turn your Right hand over(above) your left earlier in the downswing, what will feel to you like before you actually hit the ball. Literally try to hit the ball with the toe end of the club or pointing your right palm at the floor as you hit the ball. Practice doing this with a club and without a ball. (If you play tennis, like a two handed topspin shot) Try to feel like you are hitting it with the face turning round 'the farthest side away from you' of the ball. Difficult to explain in words, far easier to show/demonstrate. When you do it right(early enough) this should make you hit the ball left, but without slicing, which is the 1st stage, and it will be nice to see a different side of the golf course. You may even hit a few straight at target shots ! You then need to gain enough confidence to start swinging the club down the line of the shot (on the downswing), with your hands turning earlier REMEMBER! ....... instead of across it to the left as you do. You should feel as though you are briefly pointing the club at the flag on your follow-through (having already turned your right hand over the left), before continuing over your left shoulder. All of this assumes you are a right hand golfer, (opposite for a 'leftie') Hope this helps all the 'SLICERS' out there. Professional coaching is always the best way. As I alluded to, it's easier to show/demonstrate in person/on video EDIT: Does this sound about right JIMI (HENDRIK)?
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    I was out playing on Thursday for the first time in over a year. I have a tendancy to slice shots and took the points Misty mentioned on board and they certainly helped, so thanks for that! Was through the green in 2 at the 490 yard par 5 and about 10 foot from the pin from the tee on the final 215 yard par 3 hole.

Only played the 9 holes and my score was distinctly average at 44 but I could definitely feel the improvement off the tee :) Next time I will try not to land in 5 bunkers over the space of 9 holes...
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of G : I was out playing on Thursday for the first time in over a year. I have a tendancy to slice shots and took the points Misty mentioned on board and they certainly helped, so thanks for that! Was through the green in 2 at the 490 yard par 5 and about 10 foot from the pin from the tee on the final 215 yard par 3 hole. Only played the 9 holes and my score was distinctly average at 44 but I could definitely feel the improvement off the tee :) Next time I will try not to land in 5 bunkers over the space of 9 holes...
    Posted by markycash

Glad to hear it worked for you Marky. Keep practising it, it will get even better as you gain confidence, but as Jimi says, have a couple of lessons if you can, so that you know you are practising the right method/swing
  • edited May 2017
    lessons definitely the way to go, as Misty says its difficult to do it in print.... Good luck.
    Posted by HENDRIK62

though there is a 'couple' of Golf instruction books out there !!!!!
  • edited May 2017
    Latest Post Up.

A win on Sky and good vibes on the live scene.  Things looking good :)
  • edited May 2017
    great blogs gazza keep em coming
  • edited May 2017
    I'll be playing the main tomorrow.  Coincidentally my shifts have lined up so i'm on an early one tomorrow and a late one on Monday - ideal for the Super Sunday in store!

Apart from that however I'm unsure if i'll get much playing time over the next couple of weeks.  I have a wedding in Tuscany to go to next week and the week after i'm best man at another wedding.

So unless I bink something tomorrow my posts are probably going to be more sparsed.  I may post one or two 'Ramblings' posts while im away.  We'll see.

However in absence of myself playing poker, perhaps any people reading (there must be a couple) would like to get involved.  I'm happy to take hand requests and give my ten cents.  Possible suggestions on live tournaments/places to visit.  I'd like to liven this blog up a bit and any suggestions would be great.

• edited June 2017
    Couldn't resist with the election tomorrow.

Read and vote your truth!

https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/06/07/ramblings-2-voting-my-truth/
  • edited June 2017
    Couldn't resist with the election tomorrow. Read and vote your truth! https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/06/07/ramblings-2-voting-my-truth/
    Posted by gazza127

I couldn't agree more!

Gl with the poker.

• edited June 2017
    I'm back!  It's been a busy few months to say the least. 

https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/06/20/back-to-work/
  • edited June 2017
    Been a bit bored today.

Went and wrote another one!

The bubble doesn't suck as much as we think it does.

https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/06/26/bubbles-burst/
  • edited June 2017
    i bubbled the nightly micro last night for 84p i was devastated so dont tell me bubbling doest hurt
  • edited June 2017
    Been a bit bored today. Went and wrote another one! The bubble doesn't suck as much as we think it does. https://ramblingsofg.com/2017/06/26/bubbles-burst/
    Posted by gazza127
    Good stuff. 
  • edited June 2017
    i bubbled the nightly micro last night for 84p i was devastated so dont tell me bubbling doest hurt
    Posted by stokefc

Opinions pal.  It's all opinions.  ;)
  • edited June 2017
    You should. Probably. 

Wicked pic, btw. 
  • edited June 2017
    Yeah I'd go. Wouldn't wear your shoes though.
  • edited July 2017
    WP gazza. Presume that makes the trip decision a little easier?!